Anti-Camp measure deserves a full-on rework because it's done horribly

Anti-Camp measure is something we not always had in the game. It's a nice balance addition, when it works, it can save lives. HOWEVER, it only works when the killer stands right in front of your face for a good time, which is, pretty much never. This allows killers to proxy-camp survivors without getting punished for it in anyway, and instead, rewards them. I had a match vs a Spirit who was objectively bad in chases and was learning her playstyle recently, that was obvious. Whenever they got to down someone, they proxy camped them until they reached 2nd hook, this allowed them to get a 4K then harass & intimidate everyone in the EGC. Not specific to this scenario, but lots of other killers benefit from proxy camping while the anti camp measure doesn't do anything to it either, Huntress can stay a bit far, readying her hatchet to insta hit if there's a save. Billy can ready his chainsaw at the same way, Trickster, Nurse on and on. It needs an urgent rework. Mind you during this screenshot, I chased Spirit for three gens. After I got unhooked they managed to end the game with the same amount of gens remaining, thanks to proxy camping.

DeadByDaylight   16.11.2024 02_42_25.png

Comments

  • @RpTheHotrod said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3844550#Comment_3844550

    I mean, the developers\designers of the game disagree with you - I'd say they have the final say on what's intended or not. They balanced the game around the expectation of killers who protect hooks - otherwise they'd implement something that guarantees killers can't protect them (much like how Pyramid cages work, I'd imagine). If they guarantee survivors get 100% risk-free and safe unhooks as you're demanding, then killers would need a very significant buff to compensate.

    You say the survivors are stuck on a hook - that's not fun. Well, survivors are just hold down a button for 90 seconds on a gen - that's not fun, either. The M1 killer getting looped from jungle gym to jungle gym and that survivor having a multitude of second chance perks when they finally get downed which prevents the killer from hooking after that long chase - that's not fun for the killer. Killers getting flashlight blinded - that's not fun for the killers. There's a lot of "not fun" things in the game.

    How exactly would you make being hooked "fun"? I mean heck, if the penalty for failure is fun, more people would just rush in and getting hooked so they can have that "fun". Someone sitting on hook with the killer miles away and a survivor coming over to unhook them….not even THAT is fun for the survivor. Your solution is that anything "not fun" should be removed from the game. What is your vision for this "everything is fun" game? I'm sure the BHVR team would certainly love to take notes on that.

    You really need to stop twisting my arguments into stuff I didn't say.

    Nowhere did I say that unhooks should be 100% risk free and that the killer should never be able to defend a hook. Of course a killer should be able to defend hooks if he spots a survivor nearby or a survivor is just blatantly running to a hooked survivor. But just camping a survivor to death for 140 seconds is not the same, and very unfun to go against.

    Being hooked in general isn't that bad of a thing, but being hooked for 140 seconds without having a fair chance of getting off the hook is pretty damn unfun. And here's the thing, most people agree that camping is incredibly unfun to go against. Unlike stuff like flashlight blinds, or getting looped, or sitting on gens. That's not nearly as much complained about, and none of that takes away the ability to even play the game. Not to mention the fact that if you are getting looped for too long, that's generally a skill issue nowadays. Unless you get a map like Badham, but those maps need changes anyways.

    I am also not sure where I said that being hooked should be so fun, that survivors want to get hooked. Survivors should simply have better chances of combating a camping killer so they don't have to spend their entire rest of the match on a hook.

  • When will people learn to read that it's not an Anti-Camp system it's Anti-FaceCamping

  • @ad19970 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3844729#Comment_3844729

    You really need to stop twisting my arguments into stuff I didn't say.

    Nowhere did I say that unhooks should be 100% risk free and that the killer should never be able to defend a hook. Of course a killer should be able to defend hooks if he spots a survivor nearby or a survivor is just blatantly running to a hooked survivor. But just camping a survivor to death for 140 seconds is not the same, and very unfun to go against.

    Being hooked in general isn't that bad of a thing, but being hooked for 140 seconds without having a fair chance of getting off the hook is pretty damn unfun. And here's the thing, most people agree that camping is incredibly unfun to go against. Unlike stuff like flashlight blinds, or getting looped, or sitting on gens. That's not nearly as much complained about, and none of that takes away the ability to even play the game. Not to mention the fact that if you are getting looped for too long, that's generally a skill issue nowadays. Unless you get a map like Badham, but those maps need changes anyways.

    I am also not sure where I said that being hooked should be so fun, that survivors want to get hooked. Survivors should simply have better chances of combating a camping killer so they don't have to spend their entire rest of the match on a hook.

    If you're hooked for 140 seconds straight, the issue isn't the killer - that is 100% on your own team. Even an entirely face camping killer can't stop survivors from unhooking unless it's a bubba (which was always lame) or everyone is injured.

    Then again, even with a face camper and being injured, survivors get plenty of tools to make even a worst case scenario visble for rescues. Here's me in solo queue

    https://youtu.be/SmXWT7gN3qw?si=pJy7bpIYYkNkrnHb

    In reality, there's very little a killer can do to stop and unhook if the survivors are actually trying unless the survivors make a mistake. Once again, that's on the survivors. Even if the survivors just ignore the person on hook entirely and the killer is proxy camping, that's at least 2 or 3 gens with absolutely no threat getting finished. Quick way for a killer loss.

    Here's another solo queue example vs a face camping nurse

    https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/s/bSzEqRLyMU

    You're acting like a killer proxy camping just means a 140 hook camp. That's entirely up to the survivors.

  • @wisteriacula said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3841181#Comment_3841181

    And they found a way around it to camp while not getting punished, next question?

    The punishment for camping is that 2-3 survivor can do gens in peace without being interrupted by the killer. The huge problem with camping is that in soloq, coordinating the unhook is hard to do, especially when there's no info on whether the killer is camping or not.

    I really hope they add self unhook progress to the activity hud next update.

    And yes, some killers can proxy camp and then deny the unhook completely with their power, like Bubba or Billy, Trickster too if you do it right. That's when you have to choose as a team to let the person go stage 2 and slam gens, or die on hook if it's completely unavoidable. Sometimes, it's best to not worry about the unhook and spend as much time as possible doing gens instead.

    It's similar to how it's sometimes smart to wait for the killer to start chasing another survivor, injuring them, and then actually committing to someone else at the other side of the map before going to unhook someone so they don't get tunneled immediately off hook.

  • wait till OP learns killers can still 3 gen and tunnel despite the systems..

  • @ad19970 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3844581#Comment_3844581

    Most people complain about camping because of how unfun it is to go against. Of course there are people that also complain about it because they feel it's overpowered or what not, but that's just a small minority, I am pretty sure.

    Trying to make it look like entitlement won't help your argument in any way or form. People play a game for enjoyment, and not getting to play the game because of a camping killer is indeed something most players don't like, and of course that's not entitlement. As a dev you would want a game to be as fun as possible for players, and currently it isn't because strategies like camping and tunneling exist, that are unfun to go against, strong and also take very little skill.

    I'm a killer main myself but can see why people hate camping and tunneling.

    the entire game sucks when played optimally.

    it's not just camping, it's the entire game.

  • @Crowman said:

    The system was designed to handle killers facecamping. It is not meant to punish killers pressuring hooks from a distance.

    Is there anyone else that eagerly enters any thread they see with the words "Anti-Camp" in the title, and hunt for and like the first reply that says "anti-FACE-camp"?

    It's becoming a little hobby/mini-game of mine xD

  • @ad19970 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3844581#Comment_3844581

    Most people complain about camping because of how unfun it is to go against. Of course there are people that also complain about it because they feel it's overpowered or what not, but that's just a small minority, I am pretty sure.

    Trying to make it look like entitlement won't help your argument in any way or form. People play a game for enjoyment, and not getting to play the game because of a camping killer is indeed something most players don't like, and of course that's not entitlement. As a dev you would want a game to be as fun as possible for players, and currently it isn't because strategies like camping and tunneling exist, that are unfun to go against, strong and also take very little skill.

    I'm a killer main myself but can see why people hate camping and tunneling.

    But it is in fact entitlement. It's true people dislike camping and tunnelling because it's unfun. But people also dislike genrushing, which is also unfun to go against. Those are all valid tools the devs allow, it's like getting upset at flashlights.

  • @ad19970 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3841409#Comment_3841409

    I believe OP never said that the anti-facecamp system isn't working as intended, but rather that it just doesn't do anything in most cases because killers just proxy camp.

    That's the problem. The fact that it is only an anti-facecamp system and not a proper anti-camp system is exactly the problem. Being proxy camped is hardly any more fun than being facecamp, and a game like DBD should strive to be fun for both sides as much as possible. Which it isn't considering how strong proxy camping is in this game.

    So you arguing that it's just an anti-facecamp system does nothing, since that's the exact problem with this system.

    "Anti-camp measure", "HOWEVER, it only works when the killer stands right in front of your face for a good time", "It's a nice balance addition when it works"

    OP misunderstood the purpose of this mechanic. That's what I pointed out. The AFC does exactly what it is supposed to do, so the argument that it has to be buffed because it doesn't work otherwise is misplaced. The devs said that they do not consider proxy camping an issue and I agree with that for the most part.

    As I said an argument could be made whether or not specific killers should have further limitations but you do not adress that by complaining about the AFC not working.

  • @Memesis said:

    It probably wouldnt hurt to slightly increase the rate that the bar fills when the killer is within 16 meters. Abusing the system to achieve the same result as an old facecamp is just a bad time for everyone. But, there should also be some sort of killer buff that rewards getting completely away from the hook. Think haste from devour hope but more restrictive, or something similar.

    I'd support that; it would encourage and reward not camping, even spreading hooks. :)

  • I think the real problem OP is trying to point out is that, whether you call it anti-camp or anti-FACEcamp, it makes no difference. The entire system is so easy to play around, it might as well not be there.

    The only real use for it is something that is entirely not intended, similar to the 4% mechanic on the Survivor side. Killers can take pity on a Survivor and purposely stand next to them to allow them to unhook themselves if the teammates refuse to do so. I've had that happen to me once, and I saw it happen recently to a streamer I watch regularly.

  • @CrypticGirl said:

    I think the real problem OP is trying to point out is that, whether you call it anti-camp or anti-FACEcamp, it makes no difference. The entire system is so easy to play around, it might as well not be there.

    The only real use for it is something that is entirely not intended, similar to the 4% mechanic on the Survivor side. Killers can take pity on a Survivor and purposely stand next to them to allow them to unhook themselves if the teammates refuse to do so. I've had that happen to me once, and I saw it happen recently to a streamer I watch regularly.

    I would disagree. Out of the hundreds of matches I've played since AFC was introduced, I've only seen a single face camping killer. That patch alone has practically made face camping extinct. Bear in mind, Proxy camping is entirely different than face camping. There is literally nothing wrong with defending hooks - killers are expected to do so. Otherwise, every hook would act like a pyramidhead cage.

  • @wisteriacula said:

    Anti-Camp measure is something we not always had in the game. It's a nice balance addition, when it works, it can save lives. HOWEVER, it only works when the killer stands right in front of your face for a good time, which is, pretty much never. This allows killers to proxy-camp survivors without getting punished for it in anyway, and instead, rewards them. I had a match vs a Spirit who was objectively bad in chases and was learning her playstyle recently, that was obvious. Whenever they got to down someone, they proxy camped them until they reached 2nd hook, this allowed them to get a 4K then harass & intimidate everyone in the EGC. Not specific to this scenario, but lots of other killers benefit from proxy camping while the anti camp measure doesn't do anything to it either, Huntress can stay a bit far, readying her hatchet to insta hit if there's a save. Billy can ready his chainsaw at the same way, Trickster, Nurse on and on. It needs an urgent rework. Mind you during this screenshot, I chased Spirit for three gens. After I got unhooked they managed to end the game with the same amount of gens remaining, thanks to proxy camping.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/WRNSZPNULI9B/deadbydaylight-16-11-2024-02-42-25.png

    Why don't you ask them to make a rule like "everytime I get hooked, I expect the killer to run as far away from the hook as possible. In fact, if they don't get to the opposite side of the level I should get my health state back."

    You already have anticamp, basekit BT, ton of perks to counter tunneling. Why can't you just practice and get better?

  • @MrMori said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3841184#Comment_3841184

    The punishment for camping is that 2-3 survivor can do gens in peace without being interrupted by the killer. The huge problem with camping is that in soloq, coordinating the unhook is hard to do, especially when there's no info on whether the killer is camping or not.

    I really hope they add self unhook progress to the activity hud next update.

    And yes, some killers can proxy camp and then deny the unhook completely with their power, like Bubba or Billy, Trickster too if you do it right. That's when you have to choose as a team to let the person go stage 2 and slam gens, or die on hook if it's completely unavoidable. Sometimes, it's best to not worry about the unhook and spend as much time as possible doing gens instead.

    It's similar to how it's sometimes smart to wait for the killer to start chasing another survivor, injuring them, and then actually committing to someone else at the other side of the map before going to unhook someone so they don't get tunneled immediately off hook.

    You bring up a good point. Perhaps it's time to start alerting killers when it's not soloq so they can dodge those unfair lobbies as well.

  • @tubalcane said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3845258#Comment_3845258

    You bring up a good point. Perhaps it's time to start alerting killers when it's not soloq so they can dodge those unfair lobbies as well.

    Nah, I say we remove lobbies. It would make dodging impossible on both sides and would massively improve matchmaking because backfill doesn't have to be taken into account.

1 2 ›