Mori is toxic and you ready to talk abt it
Mori can be applied to the last survivor. There are at least two problems with this.
1. A survivor can be killed by this toxic method even if he was never hooked. I get that you guys like killers and all that, but the game needs to smell a little bit of balance, right?
2. You, the developers, if by some miracle you are reading this post, which I highly doubt, are literally cultivating bad sportsmanship by offering to kill the last survivor for free. Instead of encouraging a "hatch for the last surv standing" culture you're literally telling killers "dude we love that you tryhard and slug players for 4K".
3. Thanks to you and this "wonderful" update, playing as a survivor has become even more sad, and even more so being the last one standing.
The whole mori mechanic and the whole phenomenon is toxic. How could you think that such content wouldn't be abused and used for the most vile purposes? Oh yeah, you probably thought "let the players watch a cool mini-show" but that's far from true. In fact, mori is a manifestation of pure hatred and disrespect to player. In particular, it becomes even more vile because the survivor can do nothing about it? There is not a single mechanism that would be able to protect the survivor from the toxic mori.
Mori is also OP because the killer literally gets immunity from hook sabotage, blinding and other tricks that survivors use to save their teammate. Before you make a conclusion about anything, please read the following: I play both sides and I never use mori. I even try to ignore it as much as possible in the blood web. And I don't understand how anyone can like mori, but okay, everyone has their own opinion on this matter, I'm sharing mine.
So why is mori toxic? (attention here - MY opinion)
First of all, as I said, it is simply disrespectful to the player. Yes, this is a game about killing and surviving, but not about complete control of one side (killers) over the other (survivors). Although in today's reality it is, but that is not the point. Killers can do whatever they want to survivors, which they regularly do: make them bleed for 10 minutes, give false hope and then kill them and are very proud of it, and so on. As a player for a survivor, you have no control over yourself. You are completely dependent on how good a player you got on the killer and this is not normal, this is not how the game should work in my opinion. When I play as a survivor I mostly play solo and you can imagine the level of frustration that I get after each match. Not only killers have control but also "teammates" too. They can just sell you, not unhook you, bodyblock you, and a lot of other things that you won't have control over. But I've already gone into that. The point is that giving people too much power over other people is a bad idea from the start (and let me remind you that you're not playing against soulless bots, you're playing against real people who also have emotions just like you). Those who have too much power over others start to behave disgustingly, which we see in many killer players. I won't bring up tunneling and slugging here, otherwise I could talk about it for too long. The topic here is mori and mori is toxic. You can't resist it, it's OP and just bad sportsmanship.
Possible solutions to problems: just add an offering/ability or whatever so that the survivor has a CHOICE and a CHANCE. And that's it. It's that easy and simple. Mori-enjoyers won't take the offering/ability if they want to be killed that way (people can be weird, especially in this game), and those who don't want that will finally get a chance to die normally. I personally prefer to hide in the nooks and crannies of the map and wait for myself to bleed out than to be killed by mori. But unfortunately, this does not always work.
P.S and would be ofc nice if killers can't mori last surv who don't have 2 hook stage.
Comments
Thanks! Nice to see you, too :)
Pyramid Head is definitely one of the best moris in the game. Pinhead, too.
Exactly. Talking to OP, their problem seems to be a combination of that— taking things that happen in the game too personally—and also not liking that moris change the gameplay loop. The ability to deny the third hook is gone, so survivors need to adapt and throw their resources into denying the first two hooks. OP gave examples of dying to moris against seemingly friendly killers, which becomes a matter of perspective (the killer let me get some points before killing me vs the killer pretended he was going to let me go and then killed me) and/or survivors not keeping their guards up when they should.
I know it's hard for people not to take things personally, it is natural, but as an elimination game everything in DbD is going to feel like a personal attack if someone lets it affect them. In some cases, perhaps the player needs to stop choosing a character they identify with and choose a character who is wildly different, maybe that would help some people create distance between themselves and what happens in the game.
I think you and akuma might be onto something. Personally, I know that part of the fun of gaming for me is investing a bit of myself into my character. But like with all things, there are extremes that need to be avoided to enjoy the experience. On the one hand, a full divestment of my identification with the character would make gaming feel less fun for me. But the other side of that would be that full investment could lead to too much of a feeling of victimization if something bad is done to the character.
Personally, I cringe a bit when a match finishes for me with a mori. Maybe a part of that comes from the extent of involvement I maintain with my character.
I do also think that for me, part of that feeling also comes from watching gore when it seems there's no need for it (in the sense that there's no horror left for me at the end of the match). That's kind of like the difference between watching TCM and Hostel. In Hostel, the gore barely felt like it had a purpose to me, and I wondered why I watched the film. But in TCM and other really gory films, I really liked the way it changed the depth of the horror and the impact it gave to whether the characters survive.
There's also a discussion to be had about the game mechanics and implications of the finisher mori (e.g. does it incentivise slugging for 4k and other behaviors to get to the mori)? But this response is really long already. Anyway, well said, both of you :D
My Main Issue of Mori in general is that counter decisive strike
The killer is not there to make you have fun or feel respected, he is there to kill you. Your entire post can be summed up as "being mori'd makes me salty".
Killing Survivors through Mori animations isn't toxic in and of itself at all, game's been around for 8+ years and outside of the time when Ebony Mori granted Mori without needing hooks I'm not sure I've ever seen/heard people hating on Mori animation so much as the last week.
However, like myself and others pointed out when the Finisher Mori was announced, the fact that a Mori will happen nearly every games (at least in mid-low MMR) is making people start to despise what was previously something unexpected and even somewhat liked (photobombs, surprise "oh sh*t" moment etc.) because it's happening non-stop and the system actively encourages slugging for the 4k in order to get the juicy animation (Which will only get so much worse when Mori animations become purchasable and people want to justify their purchase). Not to mention that it's not rare to end up in a situation where the Killer will slug the last two but won't ever hook and will merely stand on the Survivor who has more bleedout time remaining, pick them up for a second when the other dies to make sure the Hatch doesn't spawn on them, and then Mori them after having wasted the maximum amount of time possible.
I'm pretty sure this post, both through it's innate lack of logic and choice of words, is born of being tilted after getting slugged for the 4k then Moried (or having to wait on the ground so the Killer can Mori another Survivor) one too many times.