Why is the recovery button the same as the crawl through the hatch button?

I've died to this more than a few times. get downed, hatch spawns nearby, I crawl to it, but the game decides recovering takes priority over escaping. Why is this like this and is there some trick to getting escaping to take priority?

Comments

  • Self-caring takes precedence over using a key to open the hatch, too.

    The recovery issue and the self-care issue have both gotten me killed. I've reported it as a bug and it gets ignored. Drives me nuts.

  • @Rogue11 said:

    I've died to this more than a few times. get downed, hatch spawns nearby, I crawl to it, but the game decides recovering takes priority over escaping. Why is this like this and is there some trick to getting escaping to take priority?

    Yes and I have had killers faking to give me hatch but closing it last second and without recovery action bein on same button I would been few times been able to escape as well it sucks.

  • It would be nice if you could hold crouch or run while crawling to negate healing but still can escape through hatch.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    Self-caring takes precedence over using a key to open the hatch, too.

    The recovery issue and the self-care issue have both gotten me killed. I've reported it as a bug and it gets ignored. Drives me nuts.

    I don't think it was always like this, right? Like beyond a year or two ago I don't remember ever having an issue crawling into hatch.

  • @Rogue11 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3773425#Comment_3773425

    I don't think it was always like this, right? Like beyond a year or two ago I don't remember ever having an issue crawling into hatch.

    It's been a problem for as far back as I can remember. This is a bug report of mine from 2021:

    @TragicSolitude said:

    This happens every time I'm in the dying state and try to escape through the hatch. It happens on PS4 and on the Switch. It keeps trying to "Recover" instead of escaping, even when at maximum recovery.

    Here's a video of it taking over 20 seconds for me to escape through the hatch today (PS4 Pro):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpJRDU8oWog

    Here's a video from a month ago where I couldn't escape through the hatch (PS4 Pro):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPR2j6IdsZM

    And here I am spectating another player who takes multiple tries to escape through the hatch (Switch):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-32Iz1tWgGc

    Either console needs more key binding options or hatch escape needs to take serious priority over recovery. That 20-some seconds of trying to escape through the hatch today was ridiculous. It requires some kind of exact positioning for it to escape rather than recover, and the dying state doesn't allow for precision control.

    Edit: I changed the button for vaulting and throwing down a pallet, that way I don't accidentally throw down a pallet when I'm trying to heal someone. Why is escaping through the hatch not the same button as vaulting and pallet-throwing?

    And this post about the issue is from 2019: https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/86716/when-on-an-open-hatch-shouldnt-be-prompted-to-heal

  • Yeah, this is annoying. IIRC, they changed things a while ago so that, if the choice is self-care or unhook someone, unhook takes priority. I think they should change it so that if the choice is recover or escape, escape takes priority. There's literally no situation where the player would intend to lie on top of an open hatch recovering instead of escaping through it.

  • Someone actually shared a pretty funny video on Reddit I believe it was, where a survivor was tbagging on top of hatch at a Huntress. The Huntress downed him with a hatchet and then the survivor couldn't get the crawl into hatch option to work because it just kept showing recover. So the Huntress had time to come over and shut it. It cracked me up ngl. It's not funny when it happens to me of course but situations like that, for sure lol