Why do you hate when killers tunnel but its fine when survivors do it?

I see threads on here all the time about how much people hate it when killers tunnel, but nobody ever talks about it when survivors do it. Why? Survivors can hard tunnel gens just as much as killers can tunnel survivors. For example.


  • Rushing a nearby gen right as the killer picks up a survivor
  • Refusing to heal each other or themselves in order to gens
  • Completely ignoring totems (and ironically then complaining about NOED at the end)
  • Completely ignoring chests
  • Not body blocking
  • Leaving teammates on the hook to work on gens


These are just a few examples, but in general survivors can "tunnel" their objective just as much as killers can, yet nobody says anything about it.

Comments

  • @Chaosrider said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3602337#Comment_3602337

    Tunneling means "A killer focuses solely on a single survivor until he/she is dead". Survivors arent killers, and SURPRISE killers are killers.Sigh.

    Tunneling also means : "A survivor focuses solely on completing a generators and forgoing anything else, such as healing, doing totems, or helping their teammates"

  • Yes both sides Tunnel and only the Killer gets called out for it....

    Plus The Survivors Tunneling mean that they are playing "efficiently" but when the Killer does it they are "toxic"

    So why does it matter... until things change this is the way it'll be

    With the changes to healing, Gen regression it's going to be getting rid of a single Survivor mean that there's less "efficiency"

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3603014#Comment_3603014

    The forum search is awful and most of those are probably threads where they are complaining about the killer tunneling.

    for "Gen Rush" the vast majority of posts were all unambiguously complaints from killers about getting "gen rushed". "Survivors tunnel gens" was more of a mixed bag but that's also the one with fewer posts

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3602458#Comment_3602458

    Again, we are just pointing out the hypocrisy here. Nobody is suggesting that killers "think gens being done is a problem" we are simply pointing out that killers get yelled at for tunneling, but nobody cares when survivors do it. The double standard is real.

    Similarly people complain when killers bring Corrupt/Pop/Painres/BBQ on blight with god-tier addons, but when survivors bring, Adren/Resilience/Sprint Burst/Commodius/BNP/Insta heal/Sending you to garden of joy. That is totally fine though.

    I'm simply pointing out double standards here because they tend to get ignored on these forums.

    I would expect nothing less than killer mains thinking being tunneled is fun

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3602987#Comment_3602987

    I generally play every killer, but i am a nurse main because she is the only killer who can compete at that level.

    And that is precisely my point. The same people in this forum who will complain about that blight on a 1k win streak are the exact same people who will look at people like ayrun/otz/hens doing their big win streaks handicapping themselves as "totally fine" because "most people aren't at that level"

    If one is ok, than the other is ok.

    If one is not ok, than the other is not ok.

    You don't get to have it both ways.

    The same people in this forum who will complain about that blight on a 1k win streak are the exact same people who will look at people 

    Here's the problem with your argument. This is a strawman. I am sure there are some individuals who act like this, which in that case you are welcome to discuss their positions. However you can't just lump everyone into this group.

    Every person on this forum has different thoughts and nuances about the game.

  • This thread has confirmed that the devs made a huge mistake in even adding toolboxes and perks that modify repair speeds. On launch it was the exact same, killers running ebony moris to instakill survivors because they instarepaired gens. I hate to say but nothing has changed at all, it is the still the biggest issue in this game.

    If generators were guaranteed to always be repaired in the same time then killers would actually focus on actively hunting down survivors, instead of turning the unhooking action the biggest proponent in tunneling. I would actually love to see the results of a PTB that tests this, maybe even players testing it out themselves.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3602448#Comment_3602448

    But generators being done ends the game quickly and ruins the killers chance to play the game before it is even finished. Have you never gone against a SWF bully squad and get 1 hook and have all gens done in 4 minutes while they teabag the gates as they leave because they predropped 8000 god pallets and sent you to garden of joy?

    You still got the full killer experience in that though, you just got less of it. You still get to chase and pressure gens. That doesn't go for survivors, who end up doing only a portion of their gameplay.

    @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3602458#Comment_3602458

    Again, we are just pointing out the hypocrisy here. Nobody is suggesting that killers "think gens being done is a problem" we are simply pointing out that killers get yelled at for tunneling, but nobody cares when survivors do it. The double standard is real.

    Similarly people complain when killers bring Corrupt/Pop/Painres/BBQ on blight with god-tier addons, but when survivors bring, Adren/Resilience/Sprint Burst/Commodius/BNP/Insta heal/Sending you to garden of joy. That is totally fine though.

    I'm simply pointing out double standards here because they tend to get ignored on these forums.

    "Again, we are just pointing out the hypocrisy here. Nobody is suggesting that killers "think gens being done is a problem" we are simply pointing out that killers get yelled at for tunneling, but nobody cares when survivors do it. The double standard is real."

    It's not a double standard at all, you are messing up the lingo.

    Survivors doing gens is not "tunnelling" gens. Tunnelling is focusing on one of the targets. If the survivors are all throwing themselves at one specific generator, that makes your job as killer easier. It's virtually impossible to clear a gen that's being camped, as illustrated by Chess Merchant.

    You are intentionally misappropriating the term 'tunnelling' to draw up a false equivalence, and then you get mad about it.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3602871#Comment_3602871

    You still got the full killer experience in that though, you just got less of it. You still get to chase and pressure gens. That doesn't go for survivors, who end up doing only a portion of their gameplay.

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3602876#Comment_3602876

    "Again, we are just pointing out the hypocrisy here. Nobody is suggesting that killers "think gens being done is a problem" we are simply pointing out that killers get yelled at for tunneling, but nobody cares when survivors do it. The double standard is real."

    It's not a double standard at all, you are messing up the lingo.

    Survivors doing gens is not "tunnelling" gens. Tunnelling is focusing on one of the targets. If the survivors are all throwing themselves at one specific generator, that makes your job as killer easier. It's virtually impossible to clear a gen that's being camped, as illustrated by Chess Merchant.

    You are intentionally misappropriating the term 'tunnelling' to draw up a false equivalence, and then you get mad about it.

    If killers throw themselves at once specific survivor, that makes your job as survivor much easier "just do gens" as it were.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3603434#Comment_3603434

    If killers throw themselves at once specific survivor, that makes your job as survivor much easier "just do gens" as it were.

    Except it doesn't, does it?

    Otherwise killers wouldn't be doing it.

  • I speak for myself why i dislike tunneling and why i dont like the tunneling gens argument:

    • The game is not ballanced around a 3v1. It is an easy way for the killer to get a safe win in the early game. It is the way of say "I dont care about anybody else but myself". I dislike this attitude.
    • I have zero respect for killer who are that bad that they have to tunnel. I am not a great killer and i never tunnel and still win most of the time. If i can do it with any killer, you can to. Get better, sorry.
    • There is no other way but to press M1 on a gen. Dull Totems and Chest are a complete waste of time. It is like a killer would deliberatly stay in the corner of the map for the first 60 seconds of a match.
    • The killer on the other hand has a choice to play a good and fun game, or he can choose to play dirty and go for the easy win. Again, respect for killer who wont tunnel, no respect for those who tunnel.

    Said that, i also dislike a lot about survivor players and i have no respect for them either if they come in with map offering, 3 Toolboxes with BNP on Garden of Joy or any other map that is good for survivor. And then rush the gens, get doors open and Tbag like a bunch of kids at the exit gate.

    When my teammates are pulling stuff like that off, i always side with the killer in the endgame chat if there is a conversation.

  • Are we really asking why survivors arn't wasting like 20 seconds to go get a brown toolbox or green key from a chest?

    Like you wrote that and thought "yeah I'm cooking"?

    I also really hate it when people try to do these 1:1 comparisons between roles cuz they're not at all similar, survivors legit have nothing to do but gens, they are literally incapable of tunneling their objective but if a killer decides to go after someone else and not tunnel they're still doing their objective. I don't think there's anything wrong with tunneling I just think it's dumb to act like the roles are analogous in the way some people suggest.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3601949#Comment_3601949

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3601956#Comment_3601956

    Here's an example in a game i JUST played.

    So i intentionally was playing nice. Trying to go for chases and go for multiple hooks on everyone. I hook a guy near a gen at like 80%, there were 3 gens left for them to do. I leave the hook, start chasing someone else. The guy gets unhooked right. So i turn to look over, and he IMMEDIATELY hops on that gen at 80%. Meaning i now KNOW he doesn't have OTR, he doesn't have DS, he doesn't have BT, he has nothing. He is still injured, and he isn't healing.

    In this situation, i chose not to go for him, because i was intentionally playing nice. I ended up still getting a win that game anyway, and that isn't what is important. The point i'm making is. If i had gone after that guy, and punished him for his mistake there. I would have been called out, called a "tunneler trash killer" etc. So my point is. Why is it ok for survivors to do what the guy did, but the killer punishing that guy is suddenly some kind of grand injustice? I'm merely pointing out the double standard here and wondering why most people aren't seeing it.

    If you can do gen you aren't getting tunneled. People with common sense would not call you for tunneling and in this case you handicapped yourself purposelly but you won anyway.

  • @Pulsar said:

    I see threads almost daily complaining about Survivors not healing and doing gens instead.

    Putting aside the absolute ridiculousness of your statement (seriously, Survivors cannot tunnel someone out) and looking at your basal argument...half of these things are throwing and the other half are already complained about.

    Survivors do not usually have time to do totems or chests, nor do they generally have time to waste healing after the self-healing nerfs in the current meta. Just like Killers usually do not have time to one-hook everyone, then two-hook everyone and then three-hook everyone.

    Speaking of which, I find it endlessly amusing that the cycle continues. I watched this exact thing play out five years ago after the first round of self-healing nerfs. Killers complained about Survivors healing too quickly, BHVR obliged them and nerfed healing. Survivors didn't waste time healing and just, to quote you, tunneled gens...you know, their only objective. Killers complained that gens went too quickly and the cycle continues to this day.

    The healing changes that butchered Self-Care back in 2018 are among the worst design choices in the game's history.

  • @Firellius said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3603697#Comment_3603697

    Except it doesn't, does it?

    Otherwise killers wouldn't be doing it.

    Watch a comp match sometime.

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3601949#Comment_3601949

    The healing changes that butchered Self-Care back in 2018 are among the worst design choices in the game's history.

    And then they nerfed it again in 2022 lol

  • Ikr!?

    Awful, really awful. The endless list of unnecessary changes and bad design choices.

  • @Reinami said:

    I see threads on here all the time about how much people hate it when killers tunnel, but nobody ever talks about it when survivors do it. Why? Survivors can hard tunnel gens just as much as killers can tunnel survivors. For example.

    • Rushing a nearby gen right as the killer picks up a survivor
    • Refusing to heal each other or themselves in order to gens
    • Completely ignoring totems (and ironically then complaining about NOED at the end)
    • Completely ignoring chests
    • Not body blocking
    • Leaving teammates on the hook to work on gens

    These are just a few examples, but in general survivors can "tunnel" their objective just as much as killers can, yet nobody says anything about it.

    There's nothing wrong with tunneling but as a Survivor you really don't have anything else to do.

    Your odds of escaping in SoloQ are insanely low so I can't blame them or myself for rushing my objective.

    In fairness, it is your right to tunnel if you wish. There is nothing wrong with it.

    I think nobody mentions the Survivor "tunnelling" because playing survivor and playing killer is almost like playing two completely different games.

    Don't let people bother you, play how you wish within the rules of the game. I just thought I'd chime in and shed light on why it seems like a double standard.

  • Oh, do killers not tunnel there? I was always told that tunnelling is the only way killers can win.

  • Tunneling helps the Killer in both contexts. When a Surv is tunneled out before 1-2 gens, it is a free win for Killer. When Survivors 'tunnel' gens (by either grouping, or going for the recently PR'd/PGTW'd gen), they give the Killer a juicier PGTW target/easier intel, and group up to throw the game with snowballed pressure.

    Since 'tunneling gens' is something Survivors do to themselves, they are the perpetrator and the victim, so they are doing it to themselves. When the Killer makes sure no one in the lobby other than themselves has 5 digits under BP, then the Killer is the perpetrator and the victims are their opponents.

  • What is blud waffling about?

    No seriously, what do you mean by this, the point you're trying to make is extremely unclear and I'd love a clarification

  • I've seen a fair few discussion in the past on these boards regarding players "tunnelling" their objectives, both Survivors and Killers.

    These are the Objectives to get the win though. Killers cannot win unless they sacrifice; Survivors cannot win unless they escape. If anything, should Survivors "tunnel" gens at the expense of not healing others or missing out on Totems, then that's all the better for a Killer for easier downs.

    Ultimately, why should it matter what somebody else's opinion be of another's playstyle? Everyone plays differently and for every game which may make you feel like crap then there are others which will be great. Tunnelling eitherside isn't going to go away, so use that pressure to improve skills and learn.

  • @Marc_go_solo said:

    I've seen a fair few discussion in the past on these boards regarding players "tunnelling" their objectives, both Survivors and Killers.

    These are the Objectives to get the win though. Killers cannot win unless they sacrifice; Survivors cannot win unless they escape. If anything, should Survivors "tunnel" gens at the expense of not healing others or missing out on Totems, then that's all the better for a Killer for easier downs.

    Ultimately, why should it matter what somebody else's opinion be of another's playstyle? Everyone plays differently and for every game which may make you feel like crap then there are others which will be great. Tunnelling eitherside isn't going to go away, so use that pressure to improve skills and learn.

    I wanted to find something I disagree with on your comment so I could say: "Think, Marc!"

    ...But I actually agree with what you said here. Damn...

  • Because the tunneled survivor doesn't get to play the game, just like if the survivor was camped by Huntress or Hag.

    The moment a survivor touches a generator or totem, however, I'm absolutely going after them to punish them for being careless and taking the risk of getting to the objective while being vulnerable (injured). If somebody offers themself and takes protection hits, I don't mind changing targets unless a perk is in the way (obsession X Save The Best For Last, ...) so I don't lose the Tokens.

    So far, people have been mostly very positive about my gameplay and sometimes even purposefully halted their objective progression just so everybody can play all parts of the game, like repairing X healing, and chasing X hooking.


    The moment somebody recently unhooked body blocks, then they wanna be chased. Simple. Whether I hook them or not is up to me, and I mostly prefer to take it the easy way by going after the previous prey rather than risking taking the Decisive Strike or something like that.

  • I think the main issue a lot of players have is that being tunneled as a Survivor effectively puts them in a time-out corner where they cant play the game.

    Meanwhile focusing on Generators progresses the match in a way that is not seen as obstructing anyone's ability to play the game.

    I think the easiest solution to stop complaints about tunneling is allowing Survivors to do something while being dead so it does not feel like they are being excluded from the game.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3602458#Comment_3602458

    Again, we are just pointing out the hypocrisy here. Nobody is suggesting that killers "think gens being done is a problem" we are simply pointing out that killers get yelled at for tunneling, but nobody cares when survivors do it. The double standard is real.

    Similarly people complain when killers bring Corrupt/Pop/Painres/BBQ on blight with god-tier addons, but when survivors bring, Adren/Resilience/Sprint Burst/Commodius/BNP/Insta heal/Sending you to garden of joy. That is totally fine though.

    I'm simply pointing out double standards here because they tend to get ignored on these forums.

    people can't understand that generators being done to quickly end the game quickly which ruins the killers fun and change to play the game just like killers tunneling a survivor out who don't get to play.

    I mean people say chases is the most fun in this game but when I play killer I see one survivor down and hook them but 3 to 4 gens are done.

    chasing out the exit gate don't count as being chased.

  • That’s a completely false comparison, though.

    you’re not considering the asymmetrical nature of the game: if survivors so call “tunnel” gens, the outcome is a game ending quicker due to survivor efficiency (notwithstanding the multitude of killer meta perks which directly counter this play style).

    If a killer tunnels a survivor out of the game, it gives the killer the sole power of denying that specific survivor any meaningful or fun gameplay. Remember, killers hold the power, so survivors “tunnelling gens” is something that they’re able to intervene in. Conversely, if a killer decides their mission is to end the game for one specific survivor, there’s very little the survivor can do to change the outcome.

    For the record (and before anyone corrects me), I know the definition of tunelling has become somewhat distorted. In my discussion, I’m referring to a killer targeting one specific survivor, repeatedly downing/hooking them, whilst ignoring all the other three.


    Edit: I forgot to say also, the current killer meta is literally kicking/regressing gens. You can’t argue that most killers aren’t brining perks like Jolt, Pop, Pain Res, etc in droves, so survivors are adapting their play style to counter it. Let’s say you’re a survivor and a gen is on 80% and someone’s about ti go down: why would you waste time cleansing full totems, healing, or opening chests knowing that within the next 30 seconds that gen is going to get desecrated by regression perks? As long as the gen-kick meta is popular, survivors will continue to prioritise gens. That’s just a fact.

  • So tell me, who wins 99 out of 100 times: the god tier tunneling Nurse/Blight player or the players that hit great skill checks the most consistently?

    Yeah, thought so.

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3603003#Comment_3603003

    Tunneling also means : "A survivor focuses solely on completing a generators and forgoing anything else, such as healing, doing totems, or helping their teammates"

    I had survivors get a gen done in my face as I'm hitting them down them it odd.

    on a side note:

    was going to make a thread on this but they need to get rid of de pipping as killer and survivor,reason most try hard is one some people are toxic and wants to ruin someone day and two they don't want to de pip we should just always safely pip if were not going to pip.

    as killer or survivor they are time like this season well I had some good games and I'm one pip away from grading up then I start getting these BS games I have no control over like being genrushed and getting one hook or being the first one tunneled out.

    and on both sides I have been 1 pip away from grading up to no pips I start getting pissed.

    if I knew I wasn't going to de pip I would care as much if I get genrushed or be camped and tunnel out of the game and I wouldn't try so hard the next match

    because of the depipping and how random BS can happen on either side I start getting pissed and yes I will start tunneling maybe use a mori or using OP items and genrush to get pips back

  • @GeneralV said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3604509#Comment_3604509

    I wanted to find something I disagree with on your comment so I could say: "Think, Marc!"

    ...But I actually agree with what you said here. Damn...

    All Killers are OP and need nerfing and should not be able to use Perks ... There! Something for you to say "Think, Marc!" about. :D

1 2 3 ›