I'm sorry but this steam price is pure greed

They are charging £8 or $10 for 1 character with 3 perks. Yeah they bundled in cosmetics as well but that's still a massive ripoff

You are either forced to buy auric cells or fork out extra for content you don't want. What the hell, BHVR.

If the increased price is because of the cosmetics, can you give us an option to buy on steam that doesn't have them included? Thanks.

Comments

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492905#Comment_3492905

    All I wanna know is why they felt the need to remove an option that was always there. I don't think that's too unreasonable of an ask?

    If you have an answer for me I'd be happy to hear.

    Because they wanted to offer a neat discount deal, and because they can and do price each of their DLC packages differently? Some have 1 character, some have 2, some have 3, some have 11, some have different cosmetics and charms thrown in, some are discounted further already, etc.

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492889#Comment_3492889

    My reason isn't "I don't want to buy auric cells"

    My reason is "I'm annoyed that I don't have the choice i used to have before, for seemingly greed releated reasons"

    Please understand the key difference here.

    The outcome is pretty much the same (except you want that blue jacket). So I really don't understand why you are upset.

    And maybe that was an agreement with Nick himself. We don't know.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492913#Comment_3492913

    Because they wanted to offer a neat discount deal, and because they can and do price each of their DLC packages differently? Some have 1 character, some have 2, some have 3, some have 11, some have different cosmetics and charms thrown in, some are discounted further already, etc.

    That's blatantly false though

    Normal DLC price (1 surv 1 killer, 8 perks): 5.49

    DLC price of a double chapter: (2 surv, 1 killer 12 perks): 9.99

    DLC price of a 'paragraph' (1 character from either side): 3.99

    Not a SINGLE chapter on Steam is like the Nicolas cage one. Go check. There's other bundles, but there are no chapters that throw in extra content and charge more than the base price.

  • @LapisInfernalis said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492891#Comment_3492891

    The outcome is pretty much the same (except you want that blue jacket). So I really don't understand why you are upset.

    And maybe that was an agreement with Nick himself. We don't know.

    I don't care about the outcome.

    I care that once again the consumers get shafted for choice, for again, seemingly greed related reasons and no explanation offered.

    If it's not a big deal, why was the change made to begin with?

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492925#Comment_3492925

    I don't care about the outcome.

    I care that once again the consumers get shafted for choice, for again, seemingly greed related reasons and no explanation offered.

    If it's not a big deal, why was the change made to begin with?

    What is the greed here? You can still purchase it for the lower price through the in-game store. You are not in any way forced to purchase Nic Cage for $10.

    If buying Auric Cells is such a huge problem and you don't like the price of the DLC, then just wait for a sale. It's not the end of the world if you don't own Nic Cage.

  • @Crowman said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492932#Comment_3492932

    What is the greed here? You can still purchase it for the lower price through the in-game store. You are not in any way forced to purchase Nic Cage for $10.

    If buying Auric Cells is such a huge problem and you don't like the price of the DLC, then just wait for a sale. It's not the end of the world if you don't own Nic Cage.

    Personally I think the greed is the fact they've made it so you can't buy something on your prefered platform for the same price as you always could, as mentioned in a previous post it breaks the mold of DLC prices for no discernable reason. I think it's important people pushback against this kind of thing because otherwise BHVR gets free reign to keep pushing more and more stuff like this

    FOMO Cosmetics, another prime example

    Plus It's not a discount, if you don't want the extra content they are forcefully bundling in - then you are paying for something you don't want.

    That's how I see it, at least. I've never said anyone else's viewpoint is "wrong" here.

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492925#Comment_3492925

    I don't care about the outcome.

    I care that once again the consumers get shafted for choice, for again, seemingly greed related reasons and no explanation offered.

    If it's not a big deal, why was the change made to begin with?

    The simple answer is Nic Cage gets a cut of DLC sales but very little if anything from auric cell purchases.

    The one scenario I could see it being better to have bought the DLC from steam is if you lost a character for some reason, and had to show proof of purchase, which steam would be required to help resolve.

  • @Slackrimosa said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492932#Comment_3492932

    The simple answer is Nic Cage gets a cut of DLC sales but very little if anything from auric cell purchases.

    The one scenario I could see it being better to have bought the DLC from steam is if you lost a character for some reason, and had to show proof of purchase, which steam would be required to help resolve.

    There's also family sharing as well, the DLCs bought on steam carry over but I don't believe the ones in game do (Which, again might also be a reason why they price hiked it)

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492973#Comment_3492973

    There's also family sharing as well, the DLCs bought on steam carry over but I don't believe the ones in game do (Which, again might also be a reason why they price hiked it)

    This doesn't seem like it should be a thing to start with. Are they supposed to carry across to different accounts on Steam? Console stores don't do this.

  • @Brokenbones said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492973#Comment_3492973

    There's also family sharing as well, the DLCs bought on steam carry over but I don't believe the ones in game do (Which, again might also be a reason why they price hiked it)

    Also a ton of voice lines and what I imagine is a pretty unique contract since it's an individual instead of an IP. Hard to know if they've set a new precedent.

  • @Brokenbones said:

    They are charging £8 or $10 for 1 character with 3 perks. Yeah they bundled in cosmetics as well but that's still a massive ripoff

    You are either forced to buy auric cells or fork out extra for content you don't want. What the hell, BHVR.

    If the increased price is because of the cosmetics, can you give us an option to buy on steam that doesn't have them included? Thanks.

    Im not exactly sure what you are talking about, but you arent being forced to buy the bundle. any character can be bought with auric cells, with unlicensed characters able to be earned for free.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492985#Comment_3492985

    This doesn't seem like it should be a thing to start with. Are they supposed to carry across to different accounts on Steam? Console stores don't do this.

    I believe it's intentional since I think you can opt your game out of it and BHVR even fixed it when it was bugged at one point, I remember seeing a patch note for it somewhere

    @nars said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/384633/im-sorry-but-this-steam-price-is-pure-greed

    Im not exactly sure what you are talking about, but you arent being forced to buy the bundle. any character can be bought with auric cells, with unlicensed characters able to be earned for free.

    Again that's not the problem here.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492880#Comment_3492880

    I still don't understand why you can't just buy it with Auric Cells? Get over your irrational fear of Auric Cells, it's exactly the same price.

    Because he want to buy on Steam. Why it's so hard to understand for you?

  • @MikaelaWantsYourBoon said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492882#Comment_3492882

    Because he want to buy on Steam. Why it's so hard to understand for you?

    That is then their own 1st World problem.

  • @MikaelaWantsYourBoon said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492652#Comment_3492652

    I want to buy it from Steam, not in game.

    And now, BHVR is forcing me to buy costume which i don't want. I want to buy NORMAL DLC, not PACK.

    They did not add dlc, they added PACK which forces you to buy aurics or pay more if you want Steam version.

    Remember buying the DLCs Spark of Madness, SAW, NoES, Flesh & Mud and Halloween?

    They came with an alternate, non recolored outfit for the survivors.

    Expect any DLC to also have alternate outfits but with a price hike to the DLC and non-exclusivity since the ingame store also sells them.

  • I don't see a problem in buying auric cells...? I mean yeah, it takes a few more steps, but it's not that hard. I guess it's just that if you want the teal jacket variant from the DLC, but don't want to pay more than $5, then yeah I get it. Although, if you buy the DLC, you get a full cosmetic for half the price ($5 instead of $10).

    My guess is that if you want the teal jacket, then you probably intend on getting Nicolas Cage cosmetics in the future, so the DLC is a great deal for you. People who don't care about cosmetics on their characters wouldn't care about the teal jacket.... which is where Auric Cells are your friend :)

  • I cba reading this whole argument but goddamn... is this really a problem?

    Option 1: Buy a DLC for 10 bucks and get a cosmetic.

    Option 2: Buy 500 Auric Cells for 5 bucks and get only the survivor.

    It doesn't matter where you buy it, it all goes through your Steam Wallet. I don't know why you would have an issue with using 3rd party currency when the money is going to the same people via the same payment method. It's not like they force you to buy 700 Auric Cells knowing full well that you only need 500 like a lot of other games do. It's a rare case of in game currency actually being sold fairly. Sure, you might not get a DLC on Steam but you still get the content you wanted. There is absolutely no practical difference except for a cosmetic which you don't want. I understand that you might want to collect all the DLC or whatever, but that is a you problem, not a BHVR problem. The content is offered at reasonable prices for each respective purchase. You can't expect a company to tailor every product to your personal preferences. The content is available at the price you want. It's not greed.

  • I know what I'm about to say might sound not relevant to the discussion but hear me out please:

    in another game I play, they release characters and skins at the same time, so every new character gets a premium skin on their release day (the skin costs the same as 2 and half characters, so if you buy both you pay the same price that 3 characters would cost you). Last year, the devs also thought it was a "good" idea to bundle the character and the skin and sell them for the same price as 2 and half characters (so you saved the price for half a character if you buy the bundle). However, unlike previous releases, you could only buy the bundle, there was no other option to buy the character separately. And what did the players do? Actually speak with their wallets. You basically never saw that character in game until 1 week later when they separated skin and character. Later, the devs released an apology letter and haven't done anything like it ever since.

    TLDR; if it bothers you that much, don't buy it to send a message

  • @Alen_Starkly said:

    I don't see a problem in buying auric cells...? I mean yeah, it takes a few more steps, but it's not that hard. I guess it's just that if you want the teal jacket variant from the DLC, but don't want to pay more than $5, then yeah I get it. Although, if you buy the DLC, you get a full cosmetic for half the price ($5 instead of $10).

    My guess is that if you want the teal jacket, then you probably intend on getting Nicolas Cage cosmetics in the future, so the DLC is a great deal for you. People who don't care about cosmetics on their characters wouldn't care about the teal jacket.... which is where Auric Cells are your friend :)

    @Manky said:

    I cba reading this whole argument but goddamn... is this really a problem?

    Option 1: Buy a DLC for 10 bucks and get a cosmetic.

    Option 2: Buy 500 Auric Cells for 5 bucks and get only the survivor.

    It doesn't matter where you buy it, it all goes through your Steam Wallet. I don't know why you would have an issue with using 3rd party currency when the money is going to the same people via the same payment method. It's not like they force you to buy 700 Auric Cells knowing full well that you only need 500 like a lot of other games do. It's a rare case of in game currency actually being sold fairly. Sure, you might not get a DLC on Steam but you still get the content you wanted. There is absolutely no practical difference except for a cosmetic which you don't want. I understand that you might want to collect all the DLC or whatever, but that is a you problem, not a BHVR problem. The content is offered at reasonable prices for each respective purchase. You can't expect a company to tailor every product to your personal preferences. The content is available at the price you want. It's not greed.

    Again the issue is not buying auric cells

    The issue is forcing your customers to do so by removing options that were there for years. If it's not a big deal like people keep saying could you please explain why the option to buy the DLC for the normal price on steam was removed

    That is all I am asking

  • ... why is no one who's arguing against the bundle existing mentioning the fact that purchasing characters with Auric Cells IS more expensive than buying via platform store?


    It's also been a pretty decent $ saving purchasing the platform characters than using Auric Cells. And in the case of Nicholas Cage you either have to buy it bundled with a cosmetic OR purchase it via Auric Cells, which goes back to my previous point of it being more costly.

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3492985#Comment_3492985

    This doesn't seem like it should be a thing to start with. Are they supposed to carry across to different accounts on Steam? Console stores don't do this.

    blatantly false.

1 2 ›