Tunneling Suggestion

Okay, so I have two ideas that could help discourage killers from tunneling, and actively make it worse for them to do so in regards to winning the match.

1.) Implement a MASSIVE bloodpoint deficiency if the killer is found downing and hooking the same survivor within 60 (this can change) seconds of them being rescued. If a killer tunnels a survivor, then the game should maybe take into account the amount of generators left in the trial, and apply a percentage to the amount of bloodpoints the killer would receive from the chase and the hook.

  • E.g. 5 gens = 50% BP taken from chase/hook, 4 gens = 40%, etc. (These numbers can be changed obv.)
  • I want to acknowledge how there ARE reasonable scenarios where tunneling is key, so I feel like taking how many gens are left is a good starting point. The next thing I would take into account would be hooks using the same percentage method, but I feel gens are maybe doing enough.

2.) A survivor should last longer on hook if tunneled. The same 60-second timer could be used. If a survivor is hooked within 60 seconds of their last unhook, then the struggle timer could be increased.

  • Currently, the struggle timer lasts 60 seconds. Maybe if a survivor is tunneled it lasts 70 or 80 seconds.
  • OR, and this may be better when it comes to acknowledging reasonable tunneling scenarios, the amount of gens is once again taken into consideration, and 1 gen equals 5-10 seconds
  • E.g. 5 gens = +50 seconds/+25 seconds, 4 gens = +40 seconds/20 seconds, etc.

I don't want to pursue COMPLETELY removing tunneling from the game, I don't think that's responsible or correct, but I just think it needs to be DETRIMENTAL to a killer in the early stages of the game (5-4 gens left). I think the notion that a lot of killers have (that they need to tunnel at 4-5 gens left to win) is VERY flawed, and doesn't promote skillful gameplay or learning. I think it's everyone's right to play how they wanna play (obv.) but I don't think an unskillful thing such as tunneling at the early stages of the game should not be very detrimental within the match for the killer.

This is coming from someone who plays survivor and killer mostly equally nowadays. I don't think this suggestion is perfect, but I think it is a good starting point. I'd hate to get a 4k as a killer by tunneling off 5 gens left and see I only cracked like 15k bloodpoints.

*Upon further consideration, the 60 seconds is probably too long for either timer. I'd reduce it to 30 or so. Also, I would for sure NOT have struggle timers increased by 10 seconds per gen. I'd go with 5 seconds per gen. 10 is wayyyy to long.

Also, I'm seeing so many complaints about basekit BT being used for bodyblocking or taking a hit. The point of BT is to make tunneling right off hook just less effective enough so a survivor has the chance to put themselves in a situation to make a skillful or helpful play and not just go down immediately to the killer. Unlucky for killers, taking a hit may be the best play in a certain situation. It only lasts 10 seconds, and a killer can usually wait out the BT or bodyblock the survivor to exhaust the timer in order to hit them without any punishment or discouragement (even at 5 gens, which is where I think the problem lies).

Comments

  • @Gandor said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3371569#Comment_3371569

    sure it's fun when you are winning with monitor turned off. But that's not balanced state. There had to come corrections and it all started with 6.2 and still continues.

    not sure what you mean by "winning with monitor turned off"

    the only group of people I've seen win with an AFK member are Survivors, there is no way to win as killer if you go afk since, you know, no one is going to carry you to victory while you throw a tantrum in a closet.

    not saying that you do, just pointing out the general fact that killers always earn any victory they get as opposed to some survivors who may just have had a very talented partner do the heavy lifting for them.

  • I'm sorry but as a newer to the game player and a killer main, I'm probably going to tunnel a little because I want to learn how to chase better. If I run into someone who is way better than me, I'm going to try to learn from you or catch you off guard. It's like a little victory I get to enjoy for learning and doing better. Doesn't mean I don't break chase to try to defend gens when I'm close to one.

    To be honest the "tunneling" complaint always just comes across as you got caught out after getting off hook and your upset that you got caught out of your dead hard/borrowed time/off the record window of opportunity to get hit. Even if the killer did wait out these perks you people would still being complaining about people trying to get certain people out of the game.

    I have 2 options when I chase you:

    1: Commit to the chase if I think I can get a down and risk other survivors completing gens.

    2: Ignore you because you'll be mad if I chase you again.

    What do you want from us? This all leads down the same road of killers getting more and more hate mail from our fans like you when we are just trying to play the damn game. if you get killed first, congrats, you now get to get into another game faster than all the rest of the survivors in the game. Tunneling isn't broken, tunneling isn't unfair, your just upset you lost.

    Every single player be it on survivor side or on killer side has to deal with some form of toxicity. I'm not gonna play the whataboutism game because at this point we've all hear the reasons from both sides.

    How about giving us killer mains a break. We are trying to win, earn blood points, and have fun too. If you wanna flame the face camping bubba in the basement go right ahead, but leave the rest of us out of it. I'm so tired of getting hate messages because all this community seems to breed is entitled survivors who call me slurs in end game chat or over steam because they didn't win and get to say "GG EZ SHITE KILLER" in the end game chat.

    if it upsets you that deeply to lose as survivor, then play killer and enjoy the hellscape that we have to deal with from you people on a day to day basis.

  • @SaltiestChip said:

    I'm sorry but as a newer to the game player and a killer main, I'm probably going to tunnel a little because I want to learn how to chase better. If I run into someone who is way better than me, I'm going to try to learn from you or catch you off guard. It's like a little victory I get to enjoy for learning and doing better. Doesn't mean I don't break chase to try to defend gens when I'm close to one.

    To be honest the "tunneling" complaint always just comes across as you got caught out after getting off hook and your upset that you got caught out of your dead hard/borrowed time/off the record window of opportunity to get hit. Even if the killer did wait out these perks you people would still being complaining about people trying to get certain people out of the game.

    I have 2 options when I chase you:

    1: Commit to the chase if I think I can get a down and risk other survivors completing gens.

    2: Ignore you because you'll be mad if I chase you again.

    What do you want from us? This all leads down the same road of killers getting more and more hate mail from our fans like you when we are just trying to play the damn game. if you get killed first, congrats, you now get to get into another game faster than all the rest of the survivors in the game. Tunneling isn't broken, tunneling isn't unfair, your just upset you lost.

    Every single player be it on survivor side or on killer side has to deal with some form of toxicity. I'm not gonna play the whataboutism game because at this point we've all hear the reasons from both sides.

    How about giving us killer mains a break. We are trying to win, earn blood points, and have fun too. If you wanna flame the face camping bubba in the basement go right ahead, but leave the rest of us out of it. I'm so tired of getting hate messages because all this community seems to breed is entitled survivors who call me slurs in end game chat or over steam because they didn't win and get to say "GG EZ SHITE KILLER" in the end game chat.

    if it upsets you that deeply to lose as survivor, then play killer and enjoy the hellscape that we have to deal with from you people on a day to day basis.

    The complaint about tunneling should really not go to killer players. As you said - you are just trying to win and I fully get it. It's the most optimal way to victory.

    But sure there's a lot to complain about here - just not to you as a killer. It's developers who should care about their game and listen to their community. From survivor's POW when you are tunneling you are immediately abusing 2 things at once - 1 less health state making the chase half as long (and no, perks like OTR don't work, because survivors can VERY easily be hit before they can start to loop in any way) and you accelerate removing someone from game giving you much more time to do all the other chases.

    So in the end you are abusing shortcomings of this game (which you have full right to do). Of course survivors will not like it and blame you for it (but the blame should go to developers - for making it the best tactics possible). And even though tunneling is more interactive then being facecamped by Bubba - it's still not very enjoyable by most people - so again it makes sense people will complain.

  • @DBDVulture said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3371242#Comment_3371242

    -"So all these anti tunnel perks you suggest are moot"

    Using Reassurance one time gives your team +2 minutes because it gives +30 seconds to four players. This is the same as the killer using pre nerf Pop goes the weasel six times.

    Again, this doesn't help at all if you are the one being facecamped, it's completely reliant on your team bringing it (which is rare)

    Plus, if it's in the basement against a Bubba, using the Reassurance will only get you hooked because it has such a short range to activate

  • @ZeroEthics said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3365997#Comment_3365997

    Learning to loop better may not stop the Killer from "attempting" to tunnel you, but it may help you to not go down. Someone with 5K hours across two platforms should know that is a fact. Looping better helps you not get hit. If it didn't, people wouldn't do it.

    Second, I'm not "moaning" about bodyblocks, I'm just stating a fact. It was designed/implemented as a defense from tunneling, not as a free health state just cause. If you want to use it to body block, be my guest. Play the game how you want. However, when I shift my focus back to that survivor and put them on the hook, they have no business complaining.

    My point is that if BHVR ever decided to implement something more severe to discourage Tunneling, survivors would find a way to weaponize it beyond what it was intended for. You said it yourself, asking them not to is insane.

    You're argument is that tunneling on 5 Gens "doesn't promote skillful gameplay or learning". No player here has that responsibility. Every player in this game paid their money, and have the right to play the way they want to. Players don't owe you, me, or any other player anything. We don't need to prove our "skills", we don't need to be demonized for using strategies available to us. We certainly don't need BHVR to step in and use game fixes to address player problems.

    I love how you've said that learning to loop better helps you not go down. What an obvious, nothing claim. I'll say what I said before, because what you've said doesn't even begin to nullify it: learning to loop better will not stop killers from attempting to tunnel.

    I argue that tunneling at 5 gens doesn't promote skillful gameplay because I think the game should ENCOURAGE skillful gameplay. Players should not be forced to play a specific way, but there should probably be measures taken to promote learning anyways. Its not a player problem, its a problem with the game.

    I'm not saying anyone has something to prove or anything.

  • @not_requested49 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3371650#Comment_3371650

    Again, this doesn't help at all if you are the one being facecamped, it's completely reliant on your team bringing it (which is rare)

    Plus, if it's in the basement against a Bubba, using the Reassurance will only get you hooked because it has such a short range to activate

    -"this doesn't help at all if you are the one being facecamped,"

    Explain to me how the survivors are allowed to extend one player's hook timer by 30 seconds per player? Using Pop that many times is an entire game's worth of uses.


    And you're saying : oh it wont work that way because not all survivors bring that perk.

    Reassurance when stacked on a team is one of the biggest ways you can waste the killer's time.

  • I like how it's bad for killers to complain that survivors can repair same gen together thus reducing it's 90 second repair time down to 45 or even below but it's ok for survivors to complain that killer tries to get one of them out asap because an average chase can be much longer than those 45 seconds and in some cases take too much time to be worth it. #TotallyNotBiased.

    As many stated already - don't punish people for trying to play in the most efficient way they can. Instead, offer them other efficient ways to play so they can have an alternative.

  • @DBDVulture said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3372420#Comment_3372420

    -"this doesn't help at all if you are the one being facecamped,"

    Explain to me how the survivors are allowed to extend one player's hook timer by 30 seconds per player? Using Pop that many times is an entire game's worth of uses.

    And you're saying : oh it wont work that way because not all survivors bring that perk.

    Reassurance when stacked on a team is one of the biggest ways you can waste the killer's time.

    "When stacked on a team"

    See, that's the issue right there, you just said you would need a SWF, not everyone has a squad they can get together every match

  • @ZeroEthics said:

    They already did something to address tunneling. They gave everyone basekit BT. What did survivors do with it? Did they use it as intended to make distance and not be tunneled? No, they weaponized it for a free body block, then still come here and whine about being tunneled.

    You want to avoid being tunneled, learn to loop better, put in the hours to learn, and stop asking BHVR to fix your lack of skill. I mean that in a general sense, not at YOU directly good sir.

    No amount of time you put into the game as a survivor no amount of looping is gonna stop you from being tunneledđŸ˜‚. Bringing up skill in regards to tunneling is just hilarious bc the one who has skill issue clearly is the killer. Basekit Bt absolutely does nothing & expecting a survivor not to help their teammates is so stupid.

  • How's the game supposed to tell the difference between me tunneling someone and me punishing someone for being a human shield for their rescuer?

  • @Desteriaa said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3365992#Comment_3365992

    No amount of time you put into the game as a survivor no amount of looping is gonna stop you from being tunneledđŸ˜‚. Bringing up skill in regards to tunneling is just hilarious bc the one who has skill issue clearly is the killer. Basekit Bt absolutely does nothing & expecting a survivor not to help their teammates is so stupid.

    This is simply not true. If you have a really good team on a survivor sided map (which you can select) then you can absolutely punish a killer tunneling. Alternatively you could just punish by gen rushing. Most maps are extremely punishing to defend if you break the killer's 3 gen setup.

1 2 ›