Hold W Killers

I don't understand why killers who's power is most effectively countered by running to the next tile continue to be released. I love this game and I love playing both sides, but when I play survivor and I go against artists/knights and now the skull merchant who just drop their power at a tile and I have to just keep running forward its super boring and not skillful at all. You're being cut off and zoned until you go through enough windows and tiles where eventually you're in a deadzone and they get a hit. I love certain killers gameplay like spirit, blight, deathslinger, huntress, oni.. etc where you have to dodge hits and predict where they are going to go/shoot, there is mindgaming involved and loops are actually utilized properly. I wish we had more gameplay like this because with the Knight and Skull Merchants recent releases I am getting concerned for the downfall of Dead By Daylight.

Comments

  • @occultistcat said:

    I don't understand why killers who's power is most effectively countered by running to the next tile continue to be released. I love this game and I love playing both sides, but when I play survivor and I go against artists/knights and now the skull merchant who just drop their power at a tile and I have to just keep running forward its super boring and not skillful at all. You're being cut off and zoned until you go through enough windows and tiles where eventually you're in a deadzone and they get a hit. I love certain killers gameplay like spirit, blight, deathslinger, huntress, oni.. etc where you have to dodge hits and predict where they are going to go/shoot, there is mindgaming involved and loops are actually utilized properly. I wish we had more gameplay like this because with the Knight and Skull Merchants recent releases I am getting concerned for the downfall of Dead By Daylight.

    Because people kept complaining about killers who are anti loop, so they keep making ones that aren't anti-loop and instead are 3 gen killers. So i dunno what you expected.

  • Yeah, why include SM? You wanna know a secret? Being exposed when you’re injured isn’t scary, or are you upset that you’ll be visible in chase? Isn’t that more challenging? Isn’t challenge ‘not boring’. Why are you doing something so boring like running in a straight line when you could be doing something so incredible like running in a circle.

    I say, don’t let these Killers who can drop a power and give you a disadvantage, I mean are you really? Don’t you have three other people with you? Take that challenge, show them your looping skills and then get saved by one of the numerous ways you have at your disposal. Flashlights, perks, toolboxes to get rid of hooks, natural wiggling. You have so many chances! Don’t let a lil Killer Power scare you from having your fun.

  • I don't think there's anything wrong with having a mix tbh. Like Myers is considered a weak killer yet he's the only killer that actually makes me anxious to play against. And alot of people hate Nurse with a passion, whereas she's always been one of my most enjoyable killers to go up against. I think it's totally fine not to enjoy playing against certain killers, but I'm personally glad for the mix, even if their counter is boring.

  • I remember people disliking too much chase killers, then ranged killer appears and also bad ""this is worst huntress why should i play this"", then antiloopers and omg another antilooper, then 2 zoner killers omg just hold W to run fordward instead of run in circles its trash.

    Whatever killer do its bad.

  • Because BHVR can’t balance maps properly so they design killers that ignore loops (Artist and Knight for example)

  • @Reinami said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/367196/hold-w-killers

    Because people kept complaining about killers who are anti loop, so they keep making ones that aren't anti-loop and instead are 3 gen killers. So i dunno what you expected.

    I think people include too much in the term "anti-loop" when most newer(last couple years) players consider it to be the anti-loop killers that's completely deny loops like artist and knight. Killers like blight and wesker technically have anti loop but it can be outplayed and is not a 100% denial of tiles.

    What people really want are more killers like blight and wesker but I understand making different play style killers and how hard it would be to come up with a unique kit that is both strong and interactive like blight.

    I started off maining hag and went through a bunch of killers before landing on blight. Blight offers the most interaction for both sides. It's simply a result of having the widest amount of counterplay, none of which is guaranteed to be available in any given scenario. A few of his add-ons do mitigate too much counter play of course though. The point is that humans like proving their selves in something their spend time in. Some killers deny skill expression in nearly everyway make survivors upset, some killers are too weak to do anything but be at the mercy of survivors and the maps they get sent to and some killers are bad but still don't allow for major skill expression for survivors like legion.

    I'm not even a little creative so I could never come up with a kit that is both unique and consistently interactive but that's what people want. I guess maybe not the super super causals where dbd is their most competitive video game played.

  • @Phasmamain said:

    Because BHVR can’t balance maps properly so they design killers that ignore loops (Artist and Knight for example)

    It’s not really about maps. It’s never been anbout maps. It’s about survivors not having anything at all to counter killers. The general opinion here is that Survivors shouldn’t be able to loop or run forward to escape killers. Also stealth is a problem; survivors shouldn’t be able to hide either although that’s largely mitigated by their noise, blood, and scratch marks.

  • @Sava18 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3365481#Comment_3365481

    I think people include too much in the term "anti-loop" when most newer(last couple years) players consider it to be the anti-loop killers that's completely deny loops like artist and knight. Killers like blight and wesker technically have anti loop but it can be outplayed and is not a 100% denial of tiles.

    What people really want are more killers like blight and wesker but I understand making different play style killers and how hard it would be to come up with a unique kit that is both strong and interactive like blight.

    I started off maining hag and went through a bunch of killers before landing on blight. Blight offers the most interaction for both sides. It's simply a result of having the widest amount of counterplay, none of which is guaranteed to be available in any given scenario. A few of his add-ons do mitigate too much counter play of course though. The point is that humans like proving their selves in something their spend time in. Some killers deny skill expression in nearly everyway make survivors upset, some killers are too weak to do anything but be at the mercy of survivors and the maps they get sent to and some killers are bad but still don't allow for major skill expression for survivors like legion.

    I'm not even a little creative so I could never come up with a kit that is both unique and consistently interactive but that's what people want. I guess maybe not the super super causals where dbd is their most competitive video game played.

    You haven't been on the forums much if you think people want more killers like blight. Blight is complained about on here almost daily.

  • @Ayodam said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3365780#Comment_3365780

    It’s not really about maps. It’s never been anbout maps. It’s about survivors not having anything at all to counter killers. The general opinion here is that Survivors shouldn’t be able to loop or run forward to escape killers. Also stealth is a problem; survivors shouldn’t be able to hide either although that’s largely mitigated by their noise, blood, and scratch marks.

    And killers can't have anything to counter survivors. No anti-loop, no gen defense, no gen regression, no stealth, no detection, no speed, no traps, no M1, no M2, no FOV.

  • I wish there were more killers like Blight, Nurse, Huntress, Wesker, Oni, Demo, etc. They have chase power but it's interactive to varying degrees. The game certainly doesn't need "press the button and the survivor dies" powers like Artist or Knight.

    The Skull Merchant is massively flawed in her design. Telegraphed area control powers are just not good for the game. They don't work in chase because a halfway decent survivor is going to avoid or leave the area. It makes the power easiest to use as a game delay power (Knight, SM). Yes, it's something you *can* do with a killer design. But it's not something you *should* do. There's nothing that says we have to have killers based on area control. It's terrible gameplay IMO. Give me 50 Nurses over a single 3 gen killer. And I'd rather lose a 5 minute game as Skull Merchant than play a 30 minute snoozefest as killer.

  • Let's talk about this really quick here. Try to look at the designs of the killers since Trickster. We have Trickster, Nemesis, Pinhead, Artist, Onyro, Dredge, Wesker, Knight, and now Skull Merchant. Of these 9 killers released in a row, 8 of them have an anti looping tool in their disposal. Some of them shut down looping entirely making it easier to get downs if you try to loop them. That's a problem to try and loop killers designed to be good in chase. So what's the solution if you're facing get hit or get hit killers or zone killers that can make you run out of options fast? You guessed it. Holding R1.

    The problem we have here is this. If a majority of the killers that were released back to back have kits that actively force you to leave entirely and hold 1, then why keep designing killers like this. Well that's a Catch 22 problem. Either they can design anti loop zoning killers that suffer from hold R1 or they can create Sadako varients that don't chase for efficiency? What I'm saying is they're running out of creativity with killer designs and they're reusing the same concepts to help add new chapters for content. It's an unfortunate reality but it's good that op on this thread is talking about the source of the problem, BHVR design philosophy, and not blaming survivors for not wanting to die in seconds trying to not be boring in chases to entertain the other side.

  • @occultistcat said:

    I don't understand why killers who's power is most effectively countered by running to the next tile continue to be released. I love this game and I love playing both sides, but when I play survivor and I go against artists/knights and now the skull merchant who just drop their power at a tile and I have to just keep running forward its super boring and not skillful at all. You're being cut off and zoned until you go through enough windows and tiles where eventually you're in a deadzone and they get a hit. I love certain killers gameplay like spirit, blight, deathslinger, huntress, oni.. etc where you have to dodge hits and predict where they are going to go/shoot, there is mindgaming involved and loops are actually utilized properly. I wish we had more gameplay like this because with the Knight and Skull Merchants recent releases I am getting concerned for the downfall of Dead By Daylight.


    I used to follow a streamer that I stopped watching because all she ever did was complain about "boring Hold W killers" that wouldn't let her run them in circles around a safe pallet even as she exploited Dead Hard to get to that next pallet (this was before they removed Dead Hard for distance.) Even killers without anti-loop, they'd break the pallet, she'd run to the next one and booooring. Like what did she actually want?

    I personally don't find running in a circle that fun, but you do you.

  • @AbsolutGrndZer0 said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/367196/hold-w-killers

    I used to follow a streamer that I stopped watching because all she ever did was complain about "boring Hold W killers" that wouldn't let her run them in circles around a safe pallet even as she exploited Dead Hard to get to that next pallet (this was before they removed Dead Hard for distance.) Even killers without anti-loop, they'd break the pallet, she'd run to the next one and booooring. Like what did she actually want?

    I personally don't find running in a circle that fun, but you do you.

    My brother in christ mindgaming pallets and having back and forth interactions with them at loops is called "Looping" otherwise you are literally just running in a straight line away which takes no skill and eventually you're gonna run out of tiles and get hit. The way you just described looping as "running in circles" is hilarious.

  • @occultistcat said:

    https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/comment/3366761#Comment_3366761

    My brother in christ mindgaming pallets and having back and forth interactions with them at loops is called "Looping" otherwise you are literally just running in a straight line away which takes no skill and eventually you're gonna run out of tiles and get hit. The way you just described looping as "running in circles" is hilarious.

    Looping is running in circles. Circles are loops. And I don't find it that much fun either.