Map offerings are still obnoxious
Came back to the game after a long break (since Onryo release, IIRC). Pretty immediately reminded why I stopped; constantly running into builds or strategies that rely on being on a particular map and making a more general approach feel like a spectator in the game rather than a participant. And seriously, the counter-offering to stop it is still obnoxiously rare?
Comments
Map offerings should be removed
Yep, agree.
I like having map offerings to play around. That said, it’s quite silly that all map offerings are weighted equally in a 4v1 game. A map offering from killer should be weighted heavier than a single survivor offering. Also, less of the issue is with map offerings themselves and more of it has to do with how wildly unbalanced some maps are, ie if the maps were pretty well balanced offerings wouldn’t matter nearly as much.
which would be an easier fix: changing all maps to be equally favourable, or just reworking the offerings
Honestly, it would also be LESS bad if the "no give us a random map" one was more likely than any individual map. I just don't want the other team to consistently do stuff like pick glenvale for flashlight nonsense or going to The Game freakishly often?
Albeit I guess you'd then need to do something about the weighting anyway because of the 4v1 nature of how easy it'd be for a team of survivors to always have that one if it was common.
This is a non-issue simply because every map is awful for killer anyway, except for Lery's or The Game with Scratched Mirror Myers.
it's kind of funny how many times I've been sent to The Game by someone with Stake Out and a genrush build, though. I think the most extreme example was someone who had that perk to recharge charges, the one that speeds up gen progress for destroying hex totems, Stake Out, uh... I think Hyperfocus? And they spawned right next to Ruin. And for added absurdity, I was Wesker at the time, so NOT being inside the terror radius was basically impossible.
It’s true that balancing maps is the more time consuming route, but let’s be honest with ourselves they aren't ever going to be removing map offerings entirely, it’s an integral part of the game. We just need maps balanced, that’s the core problem, but yeah it’s been the core problem for the last 5 years.
Yeah they should be removed really.
Though personally I only use them when I am getting the same maps over and over and I feel like a change as survivor but I never offer a Meat Plant, Haddonfun or pre-school etc. My main killer was Nurse and I would only send myself to Lery's otherwise just go with random RNG
You just when you get a Lery's offering it will be a Tombstone Myers or Dr, or if you get Autohaven or MacMillan it is going to probably be Nurse or Blight...
Map offerings generally are not used for good
A bad map offering usually sets me in a very unfriendly mode.
In the end game chat, to the salt, my only reply is "map offering".
So often used by survivors or killers who stack the best stuff for that map and have an extreme advantage before the game even begins.
Crow map from survivors? Midwitch from nurse? Indoor map against call of Brine/eruption/sloppy wraith? So, so boring.
Get rid of map offerings or make them ban the map you use them for.
Map offerings should be hidden, not removed.
You don't care that you ended up on a certain map, you only care that your opponent wanted that map. If you ended up their naturally you wouldn't care.
Map offerings are one of the few things left in the game that inject real freedom and variety into it, and I can't imagine being so boring as to want to remove even more of them from the game.
There is nothing wrong with using your one offering slot to play something that will skew the rng in your favour. Map offerings are no different to blueprints, mists or logs. Plus certain builds rely on a certain class of map. Mirror Myers, Ghostface, Balanced Landing, etc. Losing map offerings will kill those playstyles, and any other niche or meme builds that actually make the game fun.
No map is so broken or unbalanced that you can’t win on it as either role. I have won and lost on every map as killer and survivor, and I know all of you have as well.
Make them hidden, so you all can stop irrationally flipping out about them.
Stop being to spiteful to your fellow players over the gameplay choices that they are free to make, and learn to play with what you get.
One additional map balance suggestion I have, is that every realm should have multiple maps in it, with at least one that's balanced a little more towards survivors, and one a little more killer sided. This way no matter what offering is played it's still a toss up as to whether killer or survivor has the advantage, but you still get to choose a map for it's features like if it's indoor or has high elevations, etc.
No, I care about ending up on a particular map against someone that's brought a build specifically tailored for that map. Again, people who just want to shine flashlights through walls in Glenvale or any one of about ten reasons someone chose The Game today.
I also care that since I started playing again I've somehow managed to avoid both Azov's Graveyard (or whatever that realm is) and the Red Forest entirely but have consistently wound up on the Game and Coldwind Farm. Hell, I still don't know what Garden of Joy looks like, because offerings show up often enough I haven't had enough random chances to get there. (Other things that haven't been RNG'd into but someone wanted for some reason are Lery's and Haddonfield)
Like I said, if you ended up on all the same maps you ended up on, but without knowing offerings were played, you wouldn't care.
I'm not sure how you think you're disagreeing with me.
You think I wouldn't care if I consistently wind up on maps with highly specific builds to take advantage of those maps' characteristics, or on the same maps disproportionately often at the expense of half the map pool?
You're underestimating both my ability to over-analyse other people's perks and my frustration at monotony. <_>
Read his first sentence again. That is the issue.
If it bothers you that much you could play them at their own game, by playing a map offering yourself.
Instead of calling to remove gameplay options and make the game more boring for everyone.
Players have the freedom to play a map offering that will help their build, every player has this option, its fair, and it's not gamebreakingly OP.
I've been sent to haddonfield by survivors with balanced landing and won.
I've sent the survivors to Midwich as Doctor and lost.
Play the hand you're dealt.
I could, but my preferred solution has been the far more obvious make the counter offering more common. I don't want to go anywhere in particular.
Some are more OP than others. Some are just people being obnoxious. Whilst it's nice to defeat people who're more interested in flashlight saves etc. than actually beating gens, it's also not actually a fun experience if they're overly coordinated.