QoL changes I would like to see

Dear people of the Fog,

here is another of my brainstorm posts about how we can make the game better for everyone. Solutions are meant as different ways to solve the problem. No need to use them all, but in some cases it doesn't hurt. And many of these ideas popped up a while ago (or even ages ago) and I just want to collect what I read over the time since some good ideas are forgotten.

1. SOLOQ INFORMATION

A) There is a lot of perks or items which are not used (or less used) because you can't really tell others that you use it which is often the reason why the perk won't work. This is even worse on console where there is no chat.

Example: I have Renewal and need a full heal, but people just run away or want to selfcare (doesn't matter how). I get - 50% value of that perk if I am the next person to be hooked, before I can finish the heal.

Solution:

- you can see other survivors' perks by hitting ESC - > perks like Deliverance could lit up to show they're usable

- you see other survivors' perks during the loading screen

- perks like Renewal or Autodidact show a small buff icon besides your perks similar to Prove Thyself or Vigil 4m around you

B) Sometimes you can't do certain actions because you are occupied otherwise.

Example: Someone is aon a hook, I get chased, but the other 2 don't realises this and don't go. The person dies on the hook.

Example 2:

@TragicSolitude said:

I got Incapacitated by Eruption and walked away from the gen, and about two seconds later an injured survivor ran up to me and teabagged furiously as I stood there unable to tell them, "Hey, shut up, I can't heal you yet."

It should be like the Broken status effect, showing a symbol next to a survivor's name so that others can have some clue why you're standing around like a jerk. I mean, most survivors probably wouldn't notice, but at least it'd be something. I know the status doesn't last that long, but teammates aren't exactly patient, especially if they don't understand your inactivity.

It'd also be nice if survivors got some notice their teammates had things like Deliverance and Head On, but I guess that's a different conversation.


Solution:

- A pinging system, where you can ping different interactables (this is not the best solution for this exact problem but it still helps)

- A UI icon right next to your name showing what you are doing (e.g. repairing, healing, getting chased)

- A "communication wheel" with different text messages with something like "getting chased" or "gen at X%"


2. ARCHIVE QUESTS (or even daylies)

A) We have no feedback whatsoever for challenges during the match. Something that could be improved considering that the archives exist for 3 years now.

Solution:

- show quest progression when pressing ESC

- everytime you finish an action for said challenge (e.g. cleansed a totem, let go of a gen) you get a pop-up in your UI showing the progress. The center top would be a good area I think. Here is an old idea for that from myself (during that time the UI was changed, and these were my improvements back then. don't think about it):

UI.png


- get feedback via UI pop-up at 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% completion - > this is especially important for quests that need to be finished in one match

B) Sometimes it's nice to know what other people have to do.

Example: If I need to cleanse totems but someone has a Boon I would like to know before I destroy all 5.

Solution:

- when you click on other survivor's names you can also see their equipped challenge

C) You forget to change/equp a challenge and are already in a queue.

Solution:

- Just make it possible to quickly select a quest while we wait.


3. BLOODWEB

A) Now with BP being more valuable it take a lot time to spend them. Often the queue is not long enough to spend more than you get.

Solution:

  • an option to auto-collect lvl 1-9 (or as far as your BP allow)
  • this:

@SuzuKR said:

  1. An option to disable the animation of the red filling up: A single click instantly buys the node. If insufficient BP, just error sound without animation.
  2. An option for no "confirm" for the reveal after buying a mystery node: Treat it like buying any other node.
  3. An option to randomly buy out whatever is left on the web: A button to auto-random-buy-all in a single click. If there's something a person wants, they can manually buy that first and then push the button to randomly auto-buy the rest.
  4. An option to disable the animations/confirm/etc between new levels.


B) You want to spend your BP on Killer but can't, since you are in a SWF

Solution:

  • Make it possible to "swap" roles for spending BP during your queue or even if you are in a lobby. Worked well in HSHS

4. OHTER

@Hoodied said:

As someone who plays Console, i’d like to be able to have an FPS counter that is activatable in the settings that way I can see if the game actually can hold a consistent fps and see where the dips start appearing at, helps alot for me to spot some fps drops in alot of other games I play so I can actually report them without needing it to be a massive dive for it to be noticed

@Akumakaji said:

Dear BHVR,

I love the game and I think that its in a better state then it has ever been before, if you dont count the crazy first years.

But now that rank and grades are no longer used for match making, de-pipping serves no purpose. On one hand people say "grade is no skill indicator anymore, its monitors how much you played that month", while on the other hand they say "removing the de-pipping would take away all excitement and skill requirement, giving free BP to everyone".

So what do you want? Do you want the grades to reflect skill? But right now we can't flex with our awesome Iri1 grades, because its hidden from everyone besides friends in SWFs lobbies. Or do you want to make it a reward for loyal players who came back time and time again to play your game? You can't have the Escape cake AND eat it, so please make up your mind.

I would prefer that it was, indeed, a reward. So please, please, PLEASE take away de-pipping. Its a relic of the old ranks system and serves no purpose besides being extremely frustrating and unfun at times.

Everyone knows the pain of being in gold or iri, 4 pips, and then a series of unforseen events sends you tumbling down to 1 or even zero pips. As a killer it is pretty hard in the Iri region to pip at all and a good SWF group can easily make you de-pip just by denying you any success. But as survivors its even worse: you could be camped as the first survivor being found in that trial with no chance at all. Or somewhat even more frustrating: earlier this day I had a game with an afk killer. I did my gens, I cleansed a totem, open a chest .. and still de-piped. Well, thanks for that one, no I am back to start.

I am a killer main, and I love to give survivors who played well the hatch or relax the tension a bit after two survivors died and the last two sorta "give up", by memeing with them. But when I am in the Iri grades and get like 3 pips, I just can't effort that. In a game plagued with toxicity and players feeling hopeless after getting stomped, the de-pipping system does nothing to help the situation, but actually increases the problems. When I am just one or two pips from grading up I frankly don't give hatch, I don`t relax my playstyle and I play as sweaty as it gets. Its actually a real relieve when I finally hit Iri1 with killer, usually a week before grade reset and I finally can play the game the way I like and not play "balls to the walls" every single time. I am definitely not the only one who thinks so and it would be way more healthy for the game to just count your good games until you reach Iri 1 and don't bother with the bad ones, besides DCs. DCs are the only valid reasons IMHO that warrant to take a pip away.

And now a dirty, little secret at the end: some people have suggested a method that works pretty well if you struggle with pipping up in the Iri grades, and I tried it out for the first time this month. You go for two hook and don't kill anyone, not even the dirty SWF bullies who really try to get under your skin. Let everyone escape scot free, 8 hooks being the max you go for. Do so till you drop in MMR deep enough that you notice that the baby survivors around you are too afraid of you, dont do gens and dont go for saves. When peple start dying on first hook, even though you are at the other side of the map, shift gears, play as sweaty as possible, dont show mercy and just burst through 2 grades in 5 games by getting a mercyless rating every game. Just dont kill them too fast and shoot for 12 hooks.

Is this a playstyle that you want to promote? Smurfing is nothing new and some people do it regularly. I didn't enjoy doing it, as it probably ruined the experience of the 6 games or so that I utterly stomped, but I am adapting. So please, dont force people to adapt this way. I would hit Iri 1 naturally each month by playing in my MMR bracket, just by the occasional stelar game that garners me a pip, IF de-pipping wasnt a thing.

Thanks for listening

Sincerely

Me


Sorry for the long post.🥔

Comments

  • Agree with almost everything.


    just FYI

    C) You forget to change/equp a challenge and are already in a queue.

    Solution:

    - Just make it possible to quickly select a quest while we wait.

    that’s actually something on the roadmap for this year! It got pushed to early 2023, but is still planned!

    maybe it even includes spending BP on other characters/other role? Idk

  • @Mooks said:

    Agree with almost everything.

    just FYI

    C) You forget to change/equp a challenge and are already in a queue.

    Solution:

    - Just make it possible to quickly select a quest while we wait.

    that’s actually something on the roadmap for this year! It got pushed to early 2023, but is still planned!

    maybe it even includes spending BP on other characters/other role? Idk

    I forgot.

    And sometimes the Devs present us something and it never comes up again like Early Game Collapse.

  • @LapisInfernalis said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3185769#Comment_3185769

    I forgot.

    And sometimes the Devs present us something and it never comes up again like Early Game Collapse.

    Well. They never promised us the Early Game Collapse, they have talked about it and explained later on that it didn’t make the cut but several ideas would still come individually to the game.

    for the 6th anniversary stream they stated that they try a different approach and only told us about things that will definitely make it to the game.