Corn is bad design for both survivors and killer
For survivors, it is a giant field of nothing. No loops, no windows, no pallets, no barriers to protect against projectiles, etc.
For killers, it is a giant field that is annoyingly difficult to track through that also provides no pathways to corral survivors into (eg, trap-placing killers). Also means there’s basically nothing for Wesker to slam on/throw at and for Blight to bounce on, meaning their powers are kind of useless there if there isn't gens or hooks there.
In both cases, it is pretty much an entirely uninteractive region of the map. It’s someone like Trickster who can just hit-confirm shots through the cornstalks? Survivor goes down with literally zero options. It’s an immobile M1 killer like Trapper? Then it becomes a pure hold W chase because there is nothing to mindgame, and thus there is nothing the killer can do to shorten the chase. It’s a mobile killer? If they can track fine, survivor auto-loses because no tiles to protect them against a killer running at them at hyper speed.
Comments
I feel similarly. I have horrible eye sight so corn blinds me pretty hard, and just having a giant dead zone for most of the map is not very fun at all.
I treat the corn as a giant dead zone and try my best to avoid it while I’m being chased. I’ll cut through it only after a hit gives me a small sprint burst, or the killer is kicking a pallet in the last tile, but my aim is not to stay in it- just make it to the next tile and hope there is something there I can use to buy more time. It’s an antiquated tool, and you’re not losing any killer in there with today’s cosmetics & Coldwind’s reworked dawn/dusk setting.
Unfortunately sometime’s you have no choice to dip in there (especially if you’re cutoff/caught off guard by Nurse/Spirit), then you’re royally screwed.
It's stealth. It makes the game scarier. You can either use it to your advantage or complain about it.
You can sneak up on unsuspecting survivors or lose killers by making randoms turns inside it
It doesn't make the game scarier it makes it more annoying. Especially for killer.
I hate the corn map. I actually hate it more than rpd. I can't see through the corn, the dead areas etc..
I would be super happy if they just removed it from the game entirely. I would rather play on The Game map and RPD 10 times than once in the corn.
Delete cornfield map. Thank you!
The corn is great if you're a stealth survivor or if you have Lucky Break. The amount of times I've dashed into the corn and crouched and a killer has just walked right past me.
I'm corn neutral.
I like most of the corn maps, except Torment Creek and Rotten Fields (as survivor)
to me those are very killer sided maps
I have no problem with corns but i miss Old Coldwind...
Well, yeah, the game is not supposed to be scary for the killer. I know survivors are intimidating and whatnot, but I think the corn is more for survivor immersion than to scare a killer.
i miss the old thompson houses maps... especially the feels that they gave (still loops were ######### up in both maps)
old
new
I kind of like the corn. Survivors can make some interesting plays with them.
I love corn. Whether from the Entity, the vegetable, or from Jonathan Davis :)
It is an annoying part of the farm maps. Can't see!
Oh old corn looks awesome. Why did they brighten it up that hard?
I like the aesthetic of corn, but it's pretty lame gameplay-wise. It's also quite sparse. If you guys have ever seen a corn field IRL, they're quite dense and thick. They're difficult to run through and easy to get lost.
The corn is one of the few elements in the game where you still can juke the killer. I for example run lithe, which means i will go to a vault, run into the corn with the speedburst, then stop running, change direction and hide in the corn. Works in a lot of cases.
best answer so far! love it!