Why are players like this not banned

endgamechatnonames.png

Some players go out of their way to just be the biggest ######### possible - queueing with their friends and teabagging all game long is weirdly contended as "okay". But there's no way that communicating like this in end-game chat should be tolerated by any serious devs or even communiity. Or are they likely already banned and playing on hacked alts with their private "60 hour" accounts?


Yes I've sadly had to censor the names, I've been in trouble with the forum mods for not before. Which I still think is dumb, but that's another matter (honestly, people should be given the tools to avoid being exposed to people like this).

Tagged: BHVRMod

Comments

  • Sitting here in this thread is making me understand many things about this community. Nearly nobody was sympathetic with the guy who was insulted. The responses are: it's normal, deal with it, close the chat if you are so sensible. Do you hear yourselves? Are you so sure there is nothing wrong about your statements?

  • @Hes1hp said:

    Some trash talking is absolutly normal in every single competitive setting. Even on live TV. You ever saw one of those press conferences where mma opponents sit together? They trash talk each other like no tomorrow.

    It's entertaining in itself and funny. Bhvr was so kind to implement a feature to disable chat for those who can't handle words. It's better to use it if you can't handle words

    Wrong. In any serious sport match if the referee notices insults from one player to another they get a punishment. So no wrong example.

  • @Hes1hp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142451#Comment_3142451

    I said press conference, not during a fight.

    Also you are wrong, during a ficht trash talking is still possible. Watch some MMA fights

    It's a videogame not a MMA fight. Do you understand the difference? There is no title to win, trash talk in a videogame is just free toxicity. I can handle it. But some people don't, and it's not fair for more sensible people to have their game ruined just because of some toxic player.

  • @Hes1hp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142445#Comment_3142445

    Noone is simpethetic because he refuses to use the option for those who can't handle words: disable chat feature.

    If that didn't exist and he were forced to read that then that would be different.

    Ok. I give up. You can keep your precious toxicity in game. Don't eat it all at once.

  • @Elessar93 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142447#Comment_3142447

    Wrong. In any serious sport match if the referee notices insults from one player to another they get a punishment. So no wrong example.

    Totallly wrong watch a hockey game they will discipline for racial stuff but theres plenty of trash talk way worse than what is in that chat that they let slide, because when you play in a competitive enviroment emotions get heated.

    Now the issue with regards to the OP, if you cant handle the trash talk, dont engage with the trash talk. They stepped into the ring instead of just ignoring it, and started chirping back, which just elicits more response. Nothing said crossed a line, is it bad sportsmanship, sure but lots of things are on both sides, that arent punishable, so you just gotta move on.

  • @Hes1hp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142456#Comment_3142456

    "a title to win" is not the mandatory checkbox for trash talking

    You can guess the difference between a real life fight match and a non competitive videogame. I shouldn't explain it. However I don't like insults even in those situations. They are professionals. You don't have to insult your opponent. It's just a show off. I work all the day with arrongant people in my profession but I can handle myself not insulting all of them.

  • @Elessar93 said:

    Sitting here in this thread is making me understand many things about this community. Nearly nobody was sympathetic with the guy who was insulted. The responses are: it's normal, deal with it, close the chat if you are so sensible. Do you hear yourselves? Are you so sure there is nothing wrong about your statements?

    That's sympathy.

    People have given advice to try not getting so worked-up over something they consider insignificant.

    The simple fact people have replied instead of simply ignoring the thread is already a display of empathy.

    Don't you understand that?

    What are you trying to do asking if trying to help is wrong? Make people feel guilty by using a victim card argument of some sort? That would not be very nice.

  • @Hes1hp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142465#Comment_3142465

    Insulting and trash talking are not completely the same. "you don't have to" lol buddy there is a lot of things people don't have to do. Like playing games. Having a computer. Discussing on forums. That's not point.

    Also you not liking is fine. But that doesn't mean everyone is obligated to full fill your likings. The world is tough. If everyone would be tough we wouldn't have to debate this miniscule thing

    Ok so let's just insult each other all day everywhere because the world in tough. You know the real reason why this happens? Because they are behind a monitor. I really want to see those scrubs insulting anyone of us staning in front of us. Spineless toxic people.

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142445#Comment_3142445

    That's sympathy.

    People have given advice to try not getting so worked-up over something they consider insignificant.

    The simple fact people have replied instead of simply ignoring the thread is already a display of empathy.

    Don't you understand that?

    What are you trying to do asking if trying to help is wrong? Make people feel guilty by using a victim card argument of some sort? That would not be very nice.

    I'm not even taking about myself. I'm not a victim here. I'm just saying people should be more helpful and saying he is RIGHT about the excessive amount of toxicity he got. But he just got nearly ignored because the response he got was: you are too weak, ignore them. Ignoring a problem is never a solution.

  • @Elessar93 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142492#Comment_3142492

    I'm not even taking about myself. I'm not a victim here. I'm just saying people should be more helpful and saying he is RIGHT about the excessive amount of toxicity he got. But he just got nearly ignored because the response he got was: you are too weak, ignore them. Ignoring a problem is never a solution.

    Vicariously. Either you should also follow the suggestions made to OP, either you genuinely don't understand what helping looks like, either you are just trying to get attention.

    Either way this is pointless and the same fix applies to all three possibilities.

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142502#Comment_3142502

    Vicariously. Either you should also follow the suggestions made to OP, either you genuinely don't understand what helping looks like, either you are just trying to get attention.

    Either way this is pointless and the same fix applies to all three possibilities.

    Yes please give me attention. /s

  • @Elessar93 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3139807#Comment_3139807

    So, let's say I write this kind of things in this forum too... Am I allowed to do this without getting moderated?

    The two fora have different standards. Yes, it can be a touch silly that you can say anything short of hatespeech ingame and be safe, but get actioned on the forums for using the word 'jerk' - but it is what it is.

    @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142028#Comment_3142028

    End game chat and the forums are two different things, there is no competitiveness on the forums, a match isn't being played, literally every video game allows slight digs at people, considering this game is for like 16+ I think we can get over someone calling us bad or saying their 4year old sister could play better, lol.

    It's not the 'slight digs' that are the problem.

    'Get over it'...ugh. See, this - right here - is the attitude that annoys me. Because you're shifting the blame from the person going out of their way to try and make someone else feel unhappy, and instead blaming the person for reacting like a human being and not being numb.

    People are supposed to feel bad when someone says something like that. Of course, there is such a thing as being oversensitive, but having no reaction whatsoever when someone is a butt after a fair, hard fought game - I'm not sure if that's healthy.

    @Hes1hp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142494#Comment_3142494

    Exactly, they are behind a monitor. So why are we mad about them and take them serious? Why are you making your life so difficult. Just clown on them aswell and have a laugh about. My steam profile is filled with hundreds of salty comments and trash talk. And always laugh so much reading them, it's hilarious. I sometimes get compliments in ingame chat about my salt collection and how funny they are to read.

    I...don't know if 'please sir may I have another' is a healthy response either.

    @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142335#Comment_3142335

    Death threats are a little different to "gg ez", and yes death threats should absolutely be actioned on but terminating someones account over GG EZ would be ridiculous.

    I give you props for trying to imply I would want that kind of language to pass by simply because I don't think what's in OP should be bannable, also I literally have a recording of a streaming going live and getting banned after I report I made, do you know what they said in EGC to get banned? "I killed your friend because they're gay". They were given a 3 day suspension, afaik BHVR work on a 3 tiered system, 3 days, 1 week, perma'd. So just because someone said something to you and wasn't immediately banned does not mean they were not punished for it.

    The intent is the exact same.

    You're using the protection of your monitor to lob nastiness at other players in the hopes that you can upset them, and make them enjoy the game less.

    This almost always comes from a position of hate - and why certain forms of hate are tolerated and some forms aren't...that's a bigger discussion.

    @Hes1hp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142465#Comment_3142465

    Insulting and trash talking are not completely the same. "you don't have to" lol buddy there is a lot of things people don't have to do. Like playing games. Having a computer. Discussing on forums. That's not point.

    Also you not liking is fine. But that doesn't mean everyone is obligated to full fill your likings. The world is tough. If everyone would be tough we wouldn't have to debate this miniscule thing

    What you are describing isn't toughness.

    Being 'tough' isn't being inhuman. Tough people aren't unfeeling, they can just push through.

    Two things though.

    • What you are describing is being numb, to the point of masochism.
    • Why are you focused on the person being insulted 'toughening up', rather than focusing on the person doing the insulting?

    @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142445#Comment_3142445

    That's sympathy.

    People have given advice to try not getting so worked-up over something they consider insignificant.

    The simple fact people have replied instead of simply ignoring the thread is already a display of empathy.

    Don't you understand that?

    What are you trying to do asking if trying to help is wrong? Make people feel guilty by using a victim card argument of some sort? That would not be very nice.

    If you're feeling guilty, it's generally because you know you've done something wrong.

    Saying 'you're at fault for making me feel guilty for doing bad things' is something I'll never be able to get behind.

    @Hes1hp said:

    Some trash talking is absolutly normal in every single competitive setting. Even on live TV. You ever saw one of those press conferences where mma opponents sit together? They trash talk each other like no tomorrow.

    It's entertaining in itself and funny. Bhvr was so kind to implement a feature to disable chat for those who can't handle words. It's better to use it if you can't handle words

    I...think you've misunderstood something important here:

    • Trash talking between opponents who know each other generally stems from a rivalry, and a rivalry inevitably involves mutual respect.
    • It's almost always played up to the Nth degree for publicity's sake too - very seldom is it genuine.
    • There is a massive difference between banter within a rivalry, and being nasty to a stranger. Esports organizations absolutely have suspended or penalized players for their behavior on Ladder - because they understand this difference.
    • Other Esports organizations also do suspend or penalize players for trash talk in or after a match. Nina, for example, got tournament banned for trash talking PartinG - and this was widely criticized for being too lenient. Again, because there is a difference between some banter and being obnoxious - and people can usually spot the difference.
    • The difference being - one is designed to 'play up' a certain kind of relationship, generally for the sake of publicity and drama, and the other to upset or disrespect an opponent.
    • Trash talk after a game, especially involving strangers can only be the latter.

    @Hes1hp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142494#Comment_3142494

    Exactly, they are behind a monitor. So why are we mad about them and take them serious? Why are you making your life so difficult. Just clown on them aswell and have a laugh about. My steam profile is filled with hundreds of salty comments and trash talk. And always laugh so much reading them, it's hilarious. I sometimes get compliments in ingame chat about my salt collection and how funny they are to read.

    Human beings don't stop being human beings just because they are behind a monitor, or an avatar.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3141844#Comment_3141844

    The intent to harm is plain though. The only reason to say 'GG EZ' is to rub salt in the wounds of someone who's probably had a really tough game. There is no positive or neutral intent there, because otherwise you would have said something positive or neutral, or said nothing at all.

    The only intent is to belittle someone and make them feel worse about the loss. It's understandable why someone might need to dump a bit of salt when they lose, but 'bad winner' is really just another name for 'bully'.

    As to your friends...yeah, I frankly don't believe it. I can't prove it's rubbish, and I doubt that you're going to be able to prove to my satisfaction that it isn't.

    However - I've been a gamer since PvP was something you did at arcades because dial-up wasn't even a thing yet. I'm now still a gamer, and in my 40s.

    I've never once seen a genuine friendship bloom over someone being nasty to a stranger, either in real life or online. I've seen plenty of banter, but amongst people who are already friends. The only relationships I've seen form out of interactions like this are either delusional (see: mild to moderate forms of Stockholm syndrome) or sycophantic.

    But okay, let's accept that your...pretty outlandish story is true, for the sake of the argument. Keep in mind I'm speaking generally here, I don't know you or your situation.

    This creates two possibilities, looking at this from a basic psychosociological perspective.

    • Unpleasant people tend to cluster together. This is why the schoolyard bully usually has a posse of followers and me-tooists. These all tend to be, when you get under the crust, deeply unhappy, deeply discontented individuals - and they project this outwards, often without even realizing it.
    • People attempt to 'suck up' to the schoolyard bully, in the hopes they're left alone - or, on some occasions, because they want to be the schoolyard bully, and this is the closest they are going to get.

    I'm not your therapist, but maybe give it some thought, in addition to why you need to make other people unhappy in order to gain enjoyment from gaming. Because it's not healthy for you, or other people.

    The only reason someone derives joy from the suffering of others is - again - personal issues, generally discontent/helplessness in their own lives, and this can quite often be amazingly deeply repressed. Well, okay, and neurological issues, but that's a different topic entirely.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3141770#Comment_3141770

    They've been bandying around a 'good sportsmanship' incentive for a while now, and I think they'll go that way.

    Because I know for a fact that when I attempt to get people to try, the two things that put them off are:

    • The initial grind and investment.
    • The notoriously awful community.

    I promise you, the intent is not to harm.*


    Yes, there are people who say "gg ez" with malicious intent, because the act of putting someone else down is self-soothing.

    But there are also people who say "gg ez" because the game left much to be desired. Like a person going back for second helpings, the act of taunting and jeering often elicits a stimulating response that satisfies those who felt the game was unsatisfactory.


    For the latter group, offending people is collateral damage, not the objective itself. There is an acknowledgement that certain words and phrases (such as 'gg ez') are inherently harmless, but are capable of triggering reactions. The intent is to provoke like-minded individuals who get a kick out of this sort of banter, and have the conversation escalate from there. People who engage in this sort of behavior assume that those who can't tolerate it will ignore them or remove themself from the situation.

    In this particular example, OP should immediately recognize that his opponents are not interested in engaging in meaningful conversation. Instead, OP chooses to entertain his opponents, in-turn signaling to them that their behavior is tolerable/welcomed.


    If I was one of the survivors in this situation, and OP said "hey, no need to pour salt on the wound," my immediate response would be something to the effect of "you're right, i'm sorry. have a good day, gl next," or even extend the olive branch and try to learn a bit about them. Because, as I've tried to convey thus far, I'm not looking to put people down, I'm just looking to engage with other people that find this sort of behavior entertaining.

    Whether or not the intent is to harm, I concede that the behavior is entirely self-serving.


    *I don’t know the survivor in question’s intentions, so I’m speaking generically here to the point I was originally making.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3141987#Comment_3141987

    I promise you, the intent is not to harm.

    Yes, there are people who say "gg ez" with malicious intent, because the act of putting someone else down is self-soothing.

    But there are also people who say "gg ez" because the game left much to be desired. Like a person going back for second helpings, the act of taunting and jeering often elicits a stimulating response that satisfies those who felt the game was unsatisfactory.

    For the latter group, offending people is collateral damage, not the objective itself. There is an acknowledgement that certain words and phrases (such as 'gg ez') are inherently harmless, but are capable of triggering reactions. The intent is to provoke like-minded individuals who get a kick out of this sort of banter, and have the conversation escalate from there. People who engage in this sort of behavior assume that those who can't tolerate it will ignore them or remove themself from the situation.

    In this particular example, OP should immediately recognize that his opponents are not interested in engaging in meaningful conversation. Instead, OP chooses to entertain his opponents, in-turn signaling to them that their behavior is tolerable/welcomed.

    If I was one of the survivors in this situation, and OP said "hey, no need to pour salt on the wound," my immediate response would be something to the effect of "you're right, i'm sorry. have a good day, gl next," or even extend the olive branch and try to learn a bit about them. Because, as I've tried to convey thus far, I'm not looking to put people down, I'm just looking to engage with other people that find this sort of behavior entertaining.

    Whether or not the intent is to harm, I concede that the behavior is entirely self-serving.

    Yeah, it is. And you're agreeing with me here - just without realizing it. Because the 'stimulation' you seem to require to enjoy yourself comes from making other people even more frustrated and miserable after a tough game.

    On the other hand, saying something like 'well tried' or 'that game was cursed' is likely to at least leave them feeling a little better about themselves - and believe it or not, will actually leave you feeling better too. Because you're showing respect, not just for their effort, but for the game as a whole.

    That is the objective - sorry, I don't believe you when you say 'I'm just seeking out people who enjoy being nasty...to be my friends...by being nasty to them...' yeah, no. That's not how people work. If you were after like minded people, there are plenty of other avenues to find them. Not to mention the whole mea-culpa 'no, if someone demeans themselves sufficiently I'll extend an olive branch'...ugh. No. That definitely rubs me up the wrong way, it's textbook bully.

    If you are telling the truth, there's an interesting little legal concept called 'due diligence' or, in some quarters, 'foreseeable harms'. Basically, even if you do not intend to inflict harm, if your actions are - as per the judgement of a hypothetical reasonable person - likely to cause harm, then you are responsible for that harm. Obviously, 'harm' is a tricky word here as we're talking about an online interaction, but that's generally the language used, and it's applicable here in a moral sense, if not a legal one.

    Basically, you're either being a sadist, or you're being willfully negligent with much the same outcome.

    Either way - not healthy for anyone involved.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142028#Comment_3142028

    The two fora have different standards. Yes, it can be a touch silly that you can say anything short of hatespeech ingame and be safe, but get actioned on the forums for using the word 'jerk' - but it is what it is.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142058#Comment_3142058

    It's not the 'slight digs' that are the problem.

    'Get over it'...ugh. See, this - right here - is the attitude that annoys me. Because you're shifting the blame from the person going out of their way to try and make someone else feel unhappy, and instead blaming the person for reacting like a human being and not being numb.

    People are supposed to feel bad when someone says something like that. Of course, there is such a thing as being oversensitive, but having no reaction whatsoever when someone is a butt after a fair, hard fought game - I'm not sure if that's healthy.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142515#Comment_3142515

    I...don't know if 'please sir may I have another' is a healthy response either.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142362#Comment_3142362

    The intent is the exact same.

    You're using the protection of your monitor to lob nastiness at other players in the hopes that you can upset them, and make them enjoy the game less.

    This almost always comes from a position of hate - and why certain forms of hate are tolerated and some forms aren't...that's a bigger discussion.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142484#Comment_3142484

    What you are describing isn't toughness.

    Being 'tough' isn't being inhuman. Tough people aren't unfeeling, they can just push through.

    Two things though.

    • What you are describing is being numb, to the point of masochism.
    • Why are you focused on the person being insulted 'toughening up', rather than focusing on the person doing the insulting?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142492#Comment_3142492

    If you're feeling guilty, it's generally because you know you've done something wrong.

    Saying 'you're at fault for making me feel guilty for doing bad things' is something I'll never be able to get behind.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142447#Comment_3142447

    I...think you've misunderstood something important here:

    • Trash talking between opponents who know each other generally stems from a rivalry, and a rivalry inevitably involves mutual respect.
    • It's almost always played up to the Nth degree for publicity's sake too - very seldom is it genuine.
    • There is a massive difference between banter within a rivalry, and being nasty to a stranger. Esports organizations absolutely have suspended or penalized players for their behavior on Ladder - because they understand this difference.
    • Other Esports organizations also do suspend or penalize players for trash talk in or after a match. Nina, for example, got tournament banned for trash talking PartinG - and this was widely criticized for being too lenient. Again, because there is a difference between some banter and being obnoxious - and people can usually spot the difference.
    • The difference being - one is designed to 'play up' a certain kind of relationship, generally for the sake of publicity and drama, and the other to upset or disrespect an opponent.
    • Trash talk after a game, especially involving strangers can only be the latter.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142515#Comment_3142515

    Human beings don't stop being human beings just because they are behind a monitor, or an avatar.

    Somehow I expected you to be better at reading than that.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142028#Comment_3142028

    The two fora have different standards. Yes, it can be a touch silly that you can say anything short of hatespeech ingame and be safe, but get actioned on the forums for using the word 'jerk' - but it is what it is.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142058#Comment_3142058

    It's not the 'slight digs' that are the problem.

    'Get over it'...ugh. See, this - right here - is the attitude that annoys me. Because you're shifting the blame from the person going out of their way to try and make someone else feel unhappy, and instead blaming the person for reacting like a human being and not being numb.

    People are supposed to feel bad when someone says something like that. Of course, there is such a thing as being oversensitive, but having no reaction whatsoever when someone is a butt after a fair, hard fought game - I'm not sure if that's healthy.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142515#Comment_3142515

    I...don't know if 'please sir may I have another' is a healthy response either.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142362#Comment_3142362

    The intent is the exact same.

    You're using the protection of your monitor to lob nastiness at other players in the hopes that you can upset them, and make them enjoy the game less.

    This almost always comes from a position of hate - and why certain forms of hate are tolerated and some forms aren't...that's a bigger discussion.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142484#Comment_3142484

    What you are describing isn't toughness.

    Being 'tough' isn't being inhuman. Tough people aren't unfeeling, they can just push through.

    Two things though.

    • What you are describing is being numb, to the point of masochism.
    • Why are you focused on the person being insulted 'toughening up', rather than focusing on the person doing the insulting?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142492#Comment_3142492

    If you're feeling guilty, it's generally because you know you've done something wrong.

    Saying 'you're at fault for making me feel guilty for doing bad things' is something I'll never be able to get behind.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142447#Comment_3142447

    I...think you've misunderstood something important here:

    • Trash talking between opponents who know each other generally stems from a rivalry, and a rivalry inevitably involves mutual respect.
    • It's almost always played up to the Nth degree for publicity's sake too - very seldom is it genuine.
    • There is a massive difference between banter within a rivalry, and being nasty to a stranger. Esports organizations absolutely have suspended or penalized players for their behavior on Ladder - because they understand this difference.
    • Other Esports organizations also do suspend or penalize players for trash talk in or after a match. Nina, for example, got tournament banned for trash talking PartinG - and this was widely criticized for being too lenient. Again, because there is a difference between some banter and being obnoxious - and people can usually spot the difference.
    • The difference being - one is designed to 'play up' a certain kind of relationship, generally for the sake of publicity and drama, and the other to upset or disrespect an opponent.
    • Trash talk after a game, especially involving strangers can only be the latter.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142515#Comment_3142515

    Human beings don't stop being human beings just because they are behind a monitor, or an avatar.

    Did you really say telling people to kill themselves is the same as "gg ez" 😂💀

    This forum is hilarious.

  • @Elessar93 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142373#Comment_3142373

    Ok so now it's op's fault for not quitting the chat. Unbelievable.

    Uh no, it's both people's fault but op stayed there and argued with the person instead of moving on which would have taken 0.5 seconds to click the leave button.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142611#Comment_3142611

    Did you really say telling people to kill themselves is the same as "gg ez" 😂💀

    This forum is hilarious.

    No...no I did not. And the fact that you're saying that...why strawman?

    I'm saying that being nasty isn't a good thing, and when you're nasty the fault lies on you to fix yourself, not on people to ignore you. Because that's not how human beings work as a species.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142882#Comment_3142882

    No...no I did not. And the fact that you're saying that...why strawman?

    I'm saying that being nasty isn't a good thing, and when you're nasty the fault lies on you to fix yourself, not on people to ignore you. Because that's not how human beings work as a species.

    My comment started with "death threats are not the same as gg ez" and you opened with "the intent is the same". You're implying they're similar in meaning.

    Anyway I'm not having this conversation with a bunch of people that get upset over things I've heard said at a children's football game.

    "GG ez"

    "Noob"

    "My 4 year old sister plays better than you"


    😂🤭

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142892#Comment_3142892

    My comment started with "death threats are not the same as gg ez" and you opened with "the intent is the same". You're implying they're similar in meaning.

    Anyway I'm not having this conversation with a bunch of people that get upset over things I've heard said at a children's football game.

    "GG ez"

    "Noob"

    "My 4 year old sister plays better than you"

    😂🤭

    I...are you sure you know what 'intent' means?

    I'm honestly not sure.

    I'm saying that both of these things are intended to make someone more frustrated and unhappy after a bad game - someone is trying to extract enjoyment from making someone else miserable.

    Also - what the hell football games are you watching? Because, even at the college level, you'd probably get a fine or a suspension for being unsportsmanlike. I remember one of our local players got benched for several games because he refused to shake hands after the match.

    Kids sports - I've seen players and even parents ejected for far less.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142908#Comment_3142908

    I...are you sure you know what 'intent' means?

    I'm honestly not sure.

    I'm saying that both of these things are intended to make someone more frustrated and unhappy after a bad game - someone is trying to extract enjoyment from making someone else miserable.

    Also - what the hell football games are you watching? Because, even at the college level, you'd probably get a fine or a suspension for being unsportsmanlike. I remember one of our local players got benched for several games because he refused to shake hands after the match.

    Kids sports - I've seen players and even parents ejected for far less.

    Yea telling someone to kill themselves is disgusting and supposed to actually harm people, saying gg ez is nothing like it means nothing.


    You genuinely don't think players in scrums are trash talking each other on the field? 💀😂

    Dbd isn't a professional setting, and that's something you're clearly missing.

  • @Seanzu said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142919#Comment_3142919

    Yea telling someone to kill themselves is disgusting and supposed to actually harm people, saying gg ez is nothing like it means nothing.

    You genuinely don't think players in scrums are trash talking each other on the field? 💀😂

    Dbd isn't a professional setting, and that's something you're clearly missing.

    On the field? Yeah, sometimes. But there's a world of difference between banter mid game between two opponents who both know each other and likely respect each other (and who, if things go too far, can easily file a complaint or get their teammates to intervene) and someone lobbing turdballs at someone else behind the safety of their monitor.

    It's a false analogy I'm getting very tired of.

    It's not a professional setting - sure. But it is still a community playing a competitive game. Making that community...not only more wholesome, but more welcoming to newer players is probably going to make the difference in the long run between this game plateauing and declining, or continuing to be popular. Because, as older players burn out, you need to bring new blood in.

    As I said earlier, look at World of Warcraft and how it's just getting...pantsed by Final Fantasy these days - with one of the primary reasons being that the WoW community is almost as poisonous as the DbD community, and FF is really friendly and pretty damn wholesome, community wise.

    This resulted in Blizzard going way too far in the other direction, and moving towards a ridiculously over-moderated approach to the community.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142834#Comment_3142834

    Yeah, it is. And you're agreeing with me here - just without realizing it. Because the 'stimulation' you seem to require to enjoy yourself comes from making other people even more frustrated and miserable after a tough game.

    On the other hand, saying something like 'well tried' or 'that game was cursed' is likely to at least leave them feeling a little better about themselves - and believe it or not, will actually leave you feeling better too. Because you're showing respect, not just for their effort, but for the game as a whole.

    That is the objective - sorry, I don't believe you when you say 'I'm just seeking out people who enjoy being nasty...to be my friends...by being nasty to them...' yeah, no. That's not how people work. If you were after like minded people, there are plenty of other avenues to find them. Not to mention the whole mea-culpa 'no, if someone demeans themselves sufficiently I'll extend an olive branch'...ugh. No. That definitely rubs me up the wrong way, it's textbook bully.

    If you are telling the truth, there's an interesting little legal concept called 'due diligence' or, in some quarters, 'foreseeable harms'. Basically, even if you do not intend to inflict harm, if your actions are - as per the judgement of a hypothetical reasonable person - likely to cause harm, then you are responsible for that harm. Obviously, 'harm' is a tricky word here as we're talking about an online interaction, but that's generally the language used, and it's applicable here in a moral sense, if not a legal one.

    Basically, you're either being a sadist, or you're being willfully negligent with much the same outcome.

    Either way - not healthy for anyone involved.

    I was never disagreeing with you, so much as trying to make you aware that the behavior is far more nuanced than you appear to believe.


    I’m also not here to offer a critique or to pass judgement on the behavior, beyond the scope of “is it bannable?”


    Whether or not it is ‘healthy’ is a question to be answered by someone with more professional experience than I.


    I thought I’ve made myself pretty clear thus far, so I’m a bit thrown by your choice to mention legal terms. “gg ez” is hardly negligent. Where are you going with that?

  • @Hes1hp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142611#Comment_3142611

    Im to laazy to address every point you made. But it want to say something about this:

    • "Why are you focused on the person being insulted 'toughening up', rather than focusing on the person doing the insulting?

    Because these people will bring use dumb stuff like a chat filter and other nonsense (which isn't even working) censoring everything. You will not see real genuine emotions and reactions anymore because everyone is fake nice to each other in fear to get banned for some trash talking. Besides it takes away something which is fun for others

    You're actually arguing my case here - and I mentioned exactly this earlier.

    It's not the people getting annoyed who are to blame if BHVR cracks down, Blizzard/Riot style. It's the people who are acting like howler monkeys in post-game. If they kept trash talking to a more meme-y, less obnoxious style, there would be no risk of a crackdown. And, looking at the recent player surveys - it could well go in that direction.

    When someone's fun comes purely from making other people miserable, yeah - that's exactly where moderation is needed. It's why stuff like walling people in is bannable.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3141987#Comment_3141987

    I promise you, the intent is not to harm.

    Yes, there are people who say "gg ez" with malicious intent, because the act of putting someone else down is self-soothing.

    But there are also people who say "gg ez" because the game left much to be desired. Like a person going back for second helpings, the act of taunting and jeering often elicits a stimulating response that satisfies those who felt the game was unsatisfactory.

    For the latter group, offending people is collateral damage, not the objective itself. There is an acknowledgement that certain words and phrases (such as 'gg ez') are inherently harmless, but are capable of triggering reactions. The intent is to provoke like-minded individuals who get a kick out of this sort of banter, and have the conversation escalate from there. People who engage in this sort of behavior assume that those who can't tolerate it will ignore them or remove themself from the situation.

    In this particular example, OP should immediately recognize that his opponents are not interested in engaging in meaningful conversation. Instead, OP chooses to entertain his opponents, in-turn signaling to them that their behavior is tolerable/welcomed.

    If I was one of the survivors in this situation, and OP said "hey, no need to pour salt on the wound," my immediate response would be something to the effect of "you're right, i'm sorry. have a good day, gl next," or even extend the olive branch and try to learn a bit about them. Because, as I've tried to convey thus far, I'm not looking to put people down, I'm just looking to engage with other people that find this sort of behavior entertaining.

    Whether or not the intent is to harm, I concede that the behavior is entirely self-serving.

    It's honestly very impressive how many words it can take someone to say "I enjoy being a bully" without actually saying the words "I enjoy being a bully." Well done!

  • @TheWheelOfCheese said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3142834#Comment_3142834

    It's honestly very impressive how many words it can take someone to say "I enjoy being a bully" without actually saying the words "I enjoy being a bully." Well done!

    The only bully I see in this conversation is you.

    StarLost and I have kept it quite civil, then you showed up to make fun of me for… what?

    Offering an unpopular opinion?

    Tell me you don’t see the irony.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143231#Comment_3143231

    The only bully I see in this conversation is you.

    StarLost and I have kept it quite civil, then you showed up to make fun of me for… what?

    Offering an unpopular opinion?

    Tell me you don’t see the irony.

    Calling out a bully isn't being a bully.

    You've made it quite clear that you enjoy provoking negative reactions in others, under the guise of "finding like-minded people." If you are as reasonable as you claim yourself to be, you should easily be able to see how your behavior is harmful.

  • @TheWheelOfCheese said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143296#Comment_3143296

    Calling out a bully isn't being a bully.

    You've made it quite clear that you enjoy provoking negative reactions in others, under the guise of "finding like-minded people." If you are as reasonable as you claim yourself to be, you should easily be able to see how your behavior is harmful.

    Your comment was dripping with sarcasm.

    Whether it was to win the approval of your peers by taking a witty jab at me, or simply out of enjoyment for that small act of malice, you find yourself guilty of a behavior you’re so desperate to label me under.


    Call me what you want. Since articulating my thoughts I’ve been met with nothing short of ignorance and name-calling.

    I can speak only to my personal experiences on this matter, and your choice not to believe me does not make what I say any less true.

    You should learn not to throw stones from glass houses.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143355#Comment_3143355

    Your comment was dripping with sarcasm.

    Whether it was to win the approval of your peers by taking a witty jab at me, or simply out of enjoyment for that small act of malice, you find yourself guilty of a behavior you’re so desperate to label me under.

    Call me what you want. Since articulating my thoughts I’ve been met with nothing short of ignorance and name-calling.

    I can speak only to my personal experiences on this matter, and your choice not to believe me does not make what I say any less true.

    You should learn not to throw stones from glass houses.

    It was to take a jab at you, because you are deserving of it.

    Random players in a video game, unless they have done something particularly egregious, are not deserving of it. Therein lies the difference between us.

    Perhaps the reason you are being met with name-calling is because your admitted behavior warrants it. You claim we are ignorant, as though we are incapable of understanding the subtleties or, as you put it, "nuance" of your behavior. We can see through this veil of pseudo-intellectualism. (Insert "Skinner out of touch" meme here.)

    All you've said can be reduced to a single statement: you say mean things to strangers after playing a video game with them, in the hopes that they enjoy saying mean things as well and you can befriend them and say mean things to each other. The second half of this sentence is fine (I do not begrudge anyone mutual entertainment like this) but you're using it as the justification for the first half of this sentence, which is where the problem lies.

    Some people enjoy roughhousing as a form of mutual entertainment, but tackling a stranger after playing a game of chess with them in the hopes you'll both enjoy it would rightfully be classified as aberrant social behavior. This is analogous (but of a different severity) to what you've admitted to doing.

  • @Hes1hp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143418#Comment_3143418

    According to OP you should get banned for that jab. I hope you see how ridiculous it would be

    I never said I agreed with OP on that point.

  • I did.

    I didn't say that being one should be cause for an in-game ban.

  • @TheWheelOfCheese said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143393#Comment_3143393

    It was to take a jab at you, because you are deserving of it.

    Random players in a video game, unless they have done something particularly egregious, are not deserving of it. Therein lies the difference between us.

    Perhaps the reason you are being met with name-calling is because your admitted behavior warrants it. You claim we are ignorant, as though we are incapable of understanding the subtleties or, as you put it, "nuance" of your behavior. We can see through this veil of pseudo-intellectualism. (Insert "Skinner out of touch" meme here.)

    All you've said can be reduced to a single statement: you say mean things to strangers after playing a video game with them, in the hopes that they enjoy saying mean things as well and you can befriend them and say mean things to each other. The second half of this sentence is fine (I do not begrudge anyone mutual entertainment like this) but you're using it as the justification for the first half of this sentence, which is where the problem lies.

    Some people enjoy roughhousing as a form of mutual entertainment, but tackling a stranger after playing a game of chess with them in the hopes you'll both enjoy it would rightfully be classified as aberrant social behavior. This is analogous (but of a different severity) to what you've admitted to doing.

    If I can speak candidly for a moment, I think your insistence on labeling (i.e. bully, pseudo-intellectualism) inhibits you from reaching a comprehensive understanding of foreign ideas.


    You say that I am deserving of this maltreatment, but it is apparent that you still do not grasp the concepts which I’ve discussed henceforth.


    Some people enjoy roughhousing as a form of mutual entertainment, but tackling a stranger after playing a game of chess with them […] would rightfully be classified as aberrant social behavior.

    I agree!

    But this is not analogous to what I’ve admitted, which is why I’ve asserted that I’ve been met with ignorance.

    Tackling someone is physical assault.


    Lets run with your scenario, so that I can better explain myself…

    Picture this:

    After the chess match, the winner says something snoody to the effect of “I really thought you were going to be a challenge.”

    The loser smirks and replies, “please, I heard you could use the confidence boost!”

    The winner laughs at the witty reply and leans in for a soft jab on the loser’s shoulder. “As if!”

    The loser, having grown up with two rough and tumble older brothers sees the jab as a sign of affection and meets it with a hip check and a grin.

    To a third party, the interaction appears rather aggressive, but both parties walk away appreciating the others’ sense of humor—likely to remember the interaction for a long time.


    This is the exact same scenario I’ve been defending in gaming. There is an escalation process—it really is nuanced—and it requires both parties to make judgement calls about the other’s character.


    Just as people who are sensitive to such comments need to take accountability when they refuse to remove themself from a situation, people with a brash sense of humor need to acknowledge when they’ve overstepped a boundary.


    If you don’t enjoy engaging in this sort of banter, that is fine. But it is not your place to cast judgement on those who do.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143418#Comment_3143418

    If I can speak candidly for a moment, I think your insistence on labeling (i.e. bully, pseudo-intellectualism) inhibits you from reaching a comprehensive understanding of foreign ideas.

    You say that I am deserving of this maltreatment, but it is apparent that you still do not grasp the concepts which I’ve discussed henceforth.

    Some people enjoy roughhousing as a form of mutual entertainment, but tackling a stranger after playing a game of chess with them […] would rightfully be classified as aberrant social behavior.

    I agree!

    But this is not analogous to what I’ve admitted, which is why I’ve asserted that I’ve been met with ignorance.

    Tackling someone is physical assault.

    Lets run with your scenario, so that I can better explain myself…

    Picture this:

    After the chess match, the winner says something snoody to the effect of “I really thought you were going to be a challenge.”

    The loser smirks and replies, “please, I heard you could use the confidence boost!”

    The winner laughs at the witty reply and leans in for a soft jab on the loser’s shoulder. “As if!”

    The loser, having grown up with two rough and tumble older brothers sees the jab as a sign of affection and meets it with a hip check and a grin.

    To a third party, the interaction appears rather aggressive, but both parties walk away appreciating the others’ sense of humor—likely to remember the interaction for a long time.

    This is the exact same scenario I’ve been defending in gaming. There is an escalation process—it really is nuanced—and it requires both parties to make judgement calls about the other’s character.

    Just as people who are sensitive to such comments need to take accountability when they refuse to remove themself from a situation, people with a brash sense of humor need to acknowledge when they’ve overstepped a boundary.

    If you don’t enjoy engaging in this sort of banter, that is fine. But it is not your place to cast judgement on those who do.

    I'm not judging you for enjoying engaging in banter.

    I'm saying that when your opening remark to someone after beating them in a game is insulting outside of an understood social context where both parties enjoy such banter then it's going to be perceived as bullying, especially in a situation where body language is entirely absent. You are willing to effectively insult a random person in the hopes that they enjoy banter like that, without any regard for how this might make them feel.

    And you don't see why this might make you disliked by your fellow forum members.

    What happens in most cases when someone is being flamed in end-game chat and the person voices displeasure with the interaction? How often do you think that the antagonists are going to say "oh, sorry, I thought you might enjoy some banter, clearly I misjudged and overstepped." Do you really think this happens in even 1% of cases? No, the antagonists will take this to be a sign of weakness and double down, or they'll hit back with the classic "I'm just joking, chill out."

    Now let's say that I accept your premise here, that you do not mean to aggravate the person you're talking to. How likely, in DBD end-game chat specifically when engaging with a person who finds this kind of banter from someone they don't even know to be over the line, do you think the they are to ask you politely to stop?

    Your supposed de-escalation process doesn't work in this context. It might work in an IRL game where you can read immediately from the other person, before they say a word, that they don't like the banter, and sincerely apologize. Heck, you might even be able to tell from their body language how open they would be to such an interaction and simply not even try if you can tell they are already upset.

    It does not work consistently in an online game where this dynamic doesn't exist, which is why you're going to be perceived as a jerk when you try engaging in banter with a person who doesn't like it. They've been around the DBD block and know what happens when they try to appeal to the humanity in the other person.

    You can try to put the onus on the other person as much as you want. "Well, they shouldn't have engaged."

    Or.... maybe you shouldn't antagonize strangers on the Internet hoping that they like it.

  • @TheWheelOfCheese said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143524#Comment_3143524

    I'm not judging you for enjoying engaging in banter.

    I'm saying that when your opening remark to someone after beating them in a game is insulting outside of an understood social context where both parties enjoy such banter then it's going to be perceived as bullying, especially in a situation where body language is entirely absent. You are willing to effectively insult a random person in the hopes that they enjoy banter like that, without any regard for how this might make them feel.

    And you don't see why this might make you disliked by your fellow forum members.

    What happens in most cases when someone is being flamed in end-game chat and the person voices displeasure with the interaction? How often do you think that the antagonists are going to say "oh, sorry, I thought you might enjoy some banter, clearly I misjudged and overstepped." Do you really think this happens in even 1% of cases? No, the antagonists will take this to be a sign of weakness and double down.

    Now let's say that I accept your premise here, that you do not mean to aggravate the person you're talking to. How likely, in DBD end-game chat specifically when engaging with a person who finds this kind of banter from someone they don't even know to be over the line, do you think the they are to ask you politely to stop?

    Your supposed de-escalation process doesn't work in this context. It might work in an IRL game where you can read immediately from the other person, before they say a word, that they don't like the banter, and sincerely apologize. It does not work consistently in an online game where this dynamic doesn't exist, which is why you're going to be perceived as a jerk when you try engaging in banter with a person who doesn't like it. They've been around the DBD block and know what happens when they try to appeal to the humanity in the other person.

    You can try to put the onus on the other person as much as you want. "Well, they shouldn't have engaged."

    Or.... maybe you shouldn't antagonize strangers on the Internet hoping that they like it.

    Someone needs to open the door for that sort of social context to exist--be it online or IRL.

    Personally, a comment like "gg ez" is harmless enough to open that door.


    People get offended by everything these days.

    To me, "gg ez" is far more mild-mannered than some of the things you can do to players in-game.

    For example, I think slugging for the 4k is MORE offensive than saying "gg ez." I really value my time, so it is insulting to have it wasted staring at my helpless body, lying on the ground for minutes at a time, because some other player can't fathom the idea of a survivor finding hatch.


    At the end of the day, I can't please everyone.

    Someone is going to think I'm a !#&% no matter what I do.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143557#Comment_3143557

    Someone needs to open the door for that sort of social context to exist--be it online or IRL.

    Personally, a comment like "gg ez" is harmless enough to open that door.

    People get offended by everything these days.

    To me, "gg ez" is far more mild-mannered than some of the things you can do to players in-game.

    For example, I think slugging for the 4k is MORE offensive than saying "gg ez." I really value my time, so it is insulting to have it wasted staring at my helpless body, lying on the ground for minutes at a time, because some other player can't fathom the idea of a survivor finding hatch.

    At the end of the day, I can't please everyone.

    Someone is going to think I'm a !#&% no matter what I do.

    Someone needs to open the door for that sort of social context to exist--be it online or IRL.

    Do you think it's appropriate to try to open that door with an insulting comment to someone you've never met before and whose mental state you cannot judge by body language? This seems like the kind of thing you'd do after a few matches with the same player when you've had a chance to try to ascertain their mental state.

    The difference between what you're doing in chat and what trolls do in chat is that you hope the other person enjoys it while the troll hopes they don't. This is a distinction without a difference for players who don't enjoy it, and they will (rightly) think you are a jerk after such an interaction. If this doesn't bother you then it sounds like you aren't a very empathetic person -- or, at least, that you value "finding like-minded individuals" more than the others' feelings.

    To me, "gg ez" is far more mild-mannered than some of the things you can do to players in-game.

    "Worse stuff exists" is a poor justification.

    Someone is going to think I'm a !#&% no matter what I do.

    There is where we have some common ground. People can find any reason to be offended.

    All I'm saying is be mindful of how your words affect others.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143557#Comment_3143557

    Someone needs to open the door for that sort of social context to exist--be it online or IRL.

    Personally, a comment like "gg ez" is harmless enough to open that door.

    People get offended by everything these days.

    To me, "gg ez" is far more mild-mannered than some of the things you can do to players in-game.

    For example, I think slugging for the 4k is MORE offensive than saying "gg ez." I really value my time, so it is insulting to have it wasted staring at my helpless body, lying on the ground for minutes at a time, because some other player can't fathom the idea of a survivor finding hatch.

    At the end of the day, I can't please everyone.

    Someone is going to think I'm a !#&% no matter what I do.

    You sound like me when I was 13.


    That is not someone that you want to emulate.

  • @TheWheelOfCheese said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143603#Comment_3143603

    Someone needs to open the door for that sort of social context to exist--be it online or IRL.

    Do you think it's appropriate to try to open that door with an insulting comment to someone you've never met before and whose mental state you cannot judge by body language? This seems like the kind of thing you'd do after a few matches with the same player when you've had a chance to try to ascertain their mental state.

    The difference between what you're doing in chat and what trolls do in chat is that you hope the other person enjoys it while the troll hopes they don't. This is a distinction without a difference for players who don't enjoy it, and they will (rightly) think you are a jerk after such an interaction. If this doesn't bother you then it sounds like you aren't a very empathetic person -- or, at least, that you value "finding like-minded individuals" more than the others' feelings.

    To me, "gg ez" is far more mild-mannered than some of the things you can do to players in-game.

    "Worse stuff exists" is a poor justification.

    Someone is going to think I'm a !#&% no matter what I do.

    There is where we have some common ground. People can find any reason to be offended.

    All I'm saying is be mindful of how your words affect others.

    Here's the thing, gg ez is a pretty innocuous taunt. If i feel like trashtalking i will start with something like that, it's a challenge, A "hey you wanna go?" If it goes by the wayside with no response it'll end there but if you respond, thats the equivalent of a "Bring it on lets go dude."

    Thats exactly what happened in that chat, challenge issued, challenge accepted, game on. Nothing else that was said crossed the line no personal attacks, no threats, it was a group of people trashtalking about a game and the game alone.

  • @Hes1hp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143616#Comment_3143616

    Man why are you people making life so complicated? It's really not that deep. Idk how some people would have survived in old-school COD lobbys with open mic.

    Like, anyone who experience that came out strong out of the storm. They got thick skin as many say and just laugh about the baby words in dbd.

    Blaming the receiver of the message for "not being strong enough" instead of the sender of the message for being a jerk says all I need to know about you.

  • @Pulsar said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143603#Comment_3143603

    You sound like me when I was 13.

    That is not someone that you want to emulate.

    Everyone's journey through life is different.

    If I was currently the person I was at age 13, I'd be in @TheWheelOfCheese's shoes advocating for the righteous path.


    I don't know what life was like for you as a 13 year old Pulsar, but in those developing years I dealt with many people who took advantage of a person's kindness and compassion. I was extremely selfless, and it was constantly thrown back in my face.

    I'm a lot happier now than I was then, but I'm also a whole lot more apathetic.


    I don't particularly care what others think about me--I don't think others should care very much about what people think of them. It has been my experience that quality of life improves as you worry less about what everyone around you has to say about you.

    To quote coach John Wooden, "if you make the effort to do the best of which you're capable, trying to improve the situation that exists for you, i think that's success, and I don't think others can judge that; I think it's like character and reputation--your reputation is what you're perceived to be; your character is what you really are."

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143621#Comment_3143621

    Everyone's journey through life is different.

    If I was currently the person I was at age 13, I'd be in @TheWheelOfCheese's shoes advocating for the righteous path.

    I don't know what life was like for you as a 13 year old Pulsar, but in those developing years I dealt with many people who took advantage of a person's kindness and compassion. I was extremely selfless, and it was constantly thrown back in my face.

    I'm a lot happier now than I was then, but I'm also a whole lot more apathetic.

    I don't particularly care what others think about me--I don't think others should care very much about what people think of them. It has been my experience that quality of life improves as you worry less about what everyone around you has to say about you.

    To quote coach John Wooden, "if you make the effort to do the best of which you're capable, trying to improve the situation that exists for you, i think that's success, and I don't think others can judge that; I think it's like character and reputation--your reputation is what you're perceived to be; your character is what you really are."

    I don't disagree with any of this, but I'd point out that not caring what others think about you is orthogonal to the issue of how you treat others. You can not care what others think of you while also treating them with respect.

    Unless your opponent did something egregious during the match, I would strongly suggest letting the loser initiate smack talk. If you won, there's a good chance your opponent is feeling deflated and, as harmless as it may seem to you, "gg ez" could make them frustrated and upset that their opponent is being a jerk to them for no apparent reason. This is where you come across as a bully, a sore winner. If they start into it then sure, have at them.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143621#Comment_3143621

    Everyone's journey through life is different.

    If I was currently the person I was at age 13, I'd be in @TheWheelOfCheese's shoes advocating for the righteous path.

    I don't know what life was like for you as a 13 year old Pulsar, but in those developing years I dealt with many people who took advantage of a person's kindness and compassion. I was extremely selfless, and it was constantly thrown back in my face.

    I'm a lot happier now than I was then, but I'm also a whole lot more apathetic.

    I don't particularly care what others think about me--I don't think others should care very much about what people think of them. It has been my experience that quality of life improves as you worry less about what everyone around you has to say about you.

    To quote coach John Wooden, "if you make the effort to do the best of which you're capable, trying to improve the situation that exists for you, i think that's success, and I don't think others can judge that; I think it's like character and reputation--your reputation is what you're perceived to be; your character is what you really are."

    I don't disagree with any of this, but I'd point out that not worrying about what others think of you is orthogonal to the issue of how you treat others. You can not care what people think of you, but still treat others with respect.

    What I'd suggest to you is to let the loser initiate smack talk in a match of random players. If you won, your opponent is likely feeling deflated and frustrated. As harmless as you may think it is, "gg ez" is likely to make them irritated and upset that some random person feels it necessary to belittle them only because they lost in a video game. This is where you come across as a bully, a sore winner. If the loser is up for smack talk, they will make that known.

  • @TheWheelOfCheese said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143748#Comment_3143748

    I don't disagree with any of this, but I'd point out that not worrying about what others think of you is orthogonal to the issue of how you treat others. You can not care what people think of you, but still treat others with respect.

    What I'd suggest to you is to let the loser initiate smack talk in a match of random players. If you won, your opponent is likely feeling deflated and frustrated. As harmless as you may think it is, "gg ez" is likely to make them irritated and upset that some random person feels it necessary to belittle them only because they lost in a video game. This is where you come across as a bully, a sore winner. If the loser is up for smack talk, they will make that known.

    In honor of you, and as gratitude for having this conversation with me, i’ll make an effort to do that going forward.

  • @KayTwoAyy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3143819#Comment_3143819

    In honor of you, and as gratitude for having this conversation with me, i’ll make an effort to do that going forward.

    Hey, I really do appreciate that.

    And I'm sorry if I came across harsh at the start of the conversation. This is an issue I'm passionate about (perhaps somewhat unfortunately, knowing it's an uphill battle) and sometimes that gets the best of me.

  • @Pyrosorc said:

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/VNMN1FCAACNW/endgamechatnonames.png

    Some players go out of their way to just be the biggest ######### possible - queueing with their friends and teabagging all game long is weirdly contended as "okay". But there's no way that communicating like this in end-game chat should be tolerated by any serious devs or even communiity. Or are they likely already banned and playing on hacked alts with their private "60 hour" accounts?

    Yes I've sadly had to censor the names, I've been in trouble with the forum mods for not before. Which I still think is dumb, but that's another matter (honestly, people should be given the tools to avoid being exposed to people like this).

    Imagine playing survivor and having 2 other survivors teabag you while they lead the killer to you and the killer never touches them, but tunnels you. Then imagine both of those survivors having TTV at the end of their gamer tags. Then imagine going to their streams on Twitch and realizing they only have around 5 viewers each. I don't want to brag, but that happened to me.

1 2 3 ›