High mmr killer discussion
So about two or three months ago I decided to take my killer game from casual to serious. Started REALLY practicing. Knowing when camping/tunneling was actually approriate vs just throwing my match while gens pop. Learning to moon walk and get hits at pallets. Keeping my game sense up of where survivors are/ should be even without aura perks. Monitoring gen progress, knowing when to commit to a chase vs it wasting my time. Knowing when to break chase because a gen will pop. You know, basic stuff.
My win rate this past week- been sick with covid and done NOTHING for about 8 days but play dbd for hours on end- is insane. Or rather it was.
I'd say somewhere around yesterday and today I've gone from 90-95% win rate to I can't do ANYTHING now. Either every surivivor is so good I am looped for 2-3 gens regardless- then I can't even get the hook due to the blinds/body blocks, or I just can't catch anyone at all until the game is basically over. I'm getting pretty frustrated because after 100+ wins I am right back to facing bully swfs like a new player again.
1.) I know the answer is to get better. Thats always my reply to people complaining. I do not want survivor nerfs. Killers just got buffs so I am fine with killer atm.
2.) I just want some tips or advice or something. Because it is SWEATY now. I'm not losing every match but my win rate is def dipping.
Idk how otz does what he does because I have clearly worked my way into another level of mmr where I am back to square one on improving and not too sure what much more I can do.
3.) I'm still doing OK with blight/dredge. But the moment I play a killer that isn't top tier it's just trash. Without mobility/map pressure swfs just seem to crank the gens out immediately.
I have not played a single game in the past four days where a gen doesn't pop within 90-110 seconds.
Hell I had a gen pop against me on ghostface at 41 seconds. I don't even know how thats possible, I had to record the game and play it back and time it. And yes I know ghostface is a low tier killer, but thats irrelevant to that gen speed.
Biggest issue I'm seeing is survivors knowing how to loop pallets better now / chain tiles together. My moon walking to counter pallet looping is getting more and more useless to the point where I feel like I have to just eat the pallet every single chase. It was working so well for a while but I guess they all know the trick at this mmr. but doing that just means eat the stun and whether i break the pallet or not they go right to the next pallet and wait. And we start the process again.
Committing to them means gens pop, but everytime I leave to go chase someone else it's the same thing but now i've wasted my time on both chases. It feels absolutely impossible to do anything because 2-3 gens are popping by first hook. Considering I had a 50 game win streak on multiple killers last week, I'm getting pretty pissed off at this match making taking me straight to this nonsense. It's almost like being punished for improving.
That last bit was just some minor venting. I knew I'd start getting better players eventually but this is ridiculous. Then to come on here and see so many players complaining about killers this and thana that, its' flat out laughable.
So higher mmr killer mains, I finally made it to your world! Please tell me how the hell you stay here because my games were getting incredibly boring before, now they are impossible, and I do not want to feel like I'm in some kind of lose lose situation. Clearly it can be done. I see otz and deadplays win all the time at high mmr.
tl;dr how to I improve now that I'm here?
Comments
One thing you might consider is record one or two of your matches that you lost but aren’t sure why and post them for feedback. Odds are you or someone who replies will notice some things you could do differently.
My advice would be to find a group that has other experienced killers like a discord group for a KYF, most of those people are nice and aren't gonna trash talk you or BM they will help you in the area you struggle and give advice on what you're doing that's messing you up, also you get a chance to cycle through killers and not feel the pressure to win by any means and you can actually focus on mastering the killer you're using, it's hard to give good advice with no gameplay available to be honest with you , so there's not really an answer to be given without something to go off of so visually I can see what you're doing, I mainly play as nurse, Oni, demo, blight, clown but I've got experience with about every killer on the roster at some point, I've been around since this thing started.
The best to do is to try to tunnel a survivor as quick as possible, as always, even if is very hard to tunnel in a map full of safe pallets and perks and genrush.
Any one have any tech tips for a console player to post videos? Maybe i can get them onto youtube and post a link idk.
It does really feel like my only option is to do what I did originally: just play and sit through the rough impossible matches and improve. Really does feel like its' going to be even tougher now than before.
The effort to improvement ratio may simply not be worth it now.
Yeah I don't want tips on "the 4k". A little camping and tunneling at the right moment secures that with no effort. I need to actually loop better and down people so I don't have to depend on that as anything other than punishing survivor mistakes.
If I had tunneled/camped EVERY game I wouldn't have gotten to this level. Of course it does happen and has its place but I need some actual skill advice lol
Like someone said here at high mmr you really need to tunnel one out. Ph is really good at that if you can get survivor tormented so you can ignore ds and bt or otr. He has also very strong antiloop but map mobility is what he lacks but if you can get quickly one out it should not be as big problem. Some games agains't those teams you are going to lose no matter what even otz loses agains't these caliber of teams. You play on console? so blight is not best killer to use as you can't use wall hug tech etc and his turning rate is just slower compared to pc.
My main question would be: how do u know you are in Top-MMR.
Ive played SWFs with guys 6k hours or so but I dont know anything about my "rank".
I have 1,5k now (both roles)
The general ability to rush gens (im not complaining about gen rushers, that is literally the objective for them), the advanced pathing and 360ing (i dont fall for it much but i can tell when they know what they are doing) healing almost instantly, knowing when/ how to greed pallets, the perk loadouts and team plays.
Had a duo yesterday that consistently would let themselves go down on purpose to be sure they were at a locker for a headon/ flashbang play. They do their best to prevent a three gen, bring hatch offerings/brand new parts/ etc.
body blocking hooks and 360ing to avoid taking the hit
You can tell when you are getting high mmr survivors, because they play like high mmr survivors. I really wish behavior could just let us SEE. If i knew the teams were higher mmr than me and it's just a bad match making thing i wouldn't care as much. but atm idk whats up.
I'm just now learning blight and yeah hes a challenge on console. Frankly nurse is as well. I'm doing....ok with blight. Definitely not good. Most of my blight hits are coming from me knowing my maps/angles as well as survivors messing up. Keep getting stuck on stupid small things like bushes as well, but thats an experience thing I'll get over time.
I typically main legion/dredge/bubba/doctor and dredge is more and more feeling High A tier low S tier to me. But those other three....idk how any of the top streamers play them against smart survivors.
Legion is good since his recent buffs plus the general killer buffs, but bubba and doctor are donkey doodoo against good survivors.
I'd like to point out I'm not saying I'm at TOP mmr. Dear lord I don't WANT to be in that sweat fest. I'm simply saying I can tell after my RIDICULOUS win rate lately, I've seen an obvious increase in survivor quality, and its' definitely "high" mmr, but no where near "highest"
Number one issue I need help with: survivors greeding pallets. I lose SO much time on this now and it was never an issue before. They run one way, I double back moonwalking to hide my red stain, flip directions and smack. It's worked for so long once I mastered it. But that isn't flying anymore. Seems like the ONLY thing I can do at most pallets (some weak pallets it still works) is just force it until they drop it. Wastes so much time, but the next survivor if I break chase here just does the same thing.
Same with windows. I used to simply moonwalk away, turn back and vault and BOOM the survivor had turned around and was right in front of me. Not any more. Now they run to a midway point between the window and opposite doorway and no matter what I do the loop just goes until the window is blocked.
tips on this? This is my biggest issue atm.
Also I can tell it depends on who I'm playing
doctor/dredge/legion/bubba who I had the MASSIVE win streaks on, I am stuck against sweaty swfs.
I'm still learning blight, and just tried clown....harder than when I was new sure, but definitely way less challenging than the killers I've been winning with. So I guess there is some truth to mmr being slightly different on each killer.
Before you beat yourself up over how streamers are performing, one thing you have to keep in mind is that almost all of them dump their MMR offstream in order to get easier matches to destroy on while streaming.
That being said, higher MMR is a big problem for killers who don't have any chase power such as ghostface. One thing you can do is be a bit nice on those killers, and by that I mean once you've established a win, let the last survivor go. It'll at least slow the rampant MMR boost you get when always 4K'ing. The MMR doesn't handle a lot of 4Ks in a row too well.
Alternatively, stick to killers with chase powers for higher MMR. No chase powers at high MMR is a nightmare.
I take back what i said. same thing happening on clown who i have played twice since he released. There is absolutely nothing to do but force the goddamn ######### pallet and lose ######### gens. I literally wish I never won so many matches. This is worse than when I was new and could only get one kill. I can literally see and tell exactly what the ######### survivors are going to do and can't do a goddamn thing about it. Not to mention a single extra person walking up to interrupt the chase just ruins the entire goddamn thing.
I'm starting to understand truetalents rants now. Before I just thought he was salty but the game is literally pointless as a killer once the mmr gets higher. It took me getting here to understand why killers got these buffs that they got. The only way any survivors can possibly be mad at this patch is they are low rank and can't loop pallets. this is absolutely insane.
Otz has a suspiciously high rate of being matched up with SoloQ's, don't let his experience fool you. I imagine it has something to do with the time of day you're playing.
One suggestion worth making, find a blight better than you and have him spank you in KYF. Nothing like seeing how a blight manages the ######### survivors throw at you from the other viewpoint.
My advice is to just play the game even more as Blight until you get burnt out honestly and let go of your sympathy for other players if you truly wanna maintain your place in the sweat brackets. It sounds stupid but that's literally the only thing that will make any difference to be real with you with the way balance and meta operates at the high end. You can watch all the Blight tech guides or Dredge VODs you want, it won't matter when you actually have to go practice it in live pub matches against skilled pubstars that wanna end the match in 6 minutes so If you really care that much about improving beyond your plateau try to join one of the Discords where people host scrims. There's a lot of people in those from the DBD Discord or the tournament scene and they definitely all know how to use every Killer and are extremely smart loopers. It can give you the platform to practice without pressure while also not compromising the level of comp you're going against. Best of both worlds
Idc what any pubstar or comp player tells you either, you WILL eventually hit multiple ceilings with different Killers where there is nothing else you can possibly learn or "git gud" at and the only way you will progress at those plateaus is to watch your own gameplay, analyze yourself in real time (which could be distracting for some people) or just have someone else watch and analyze for you. There's people out here that are gonna lie to you and tell you that even after 10,000 matches played with one Killer there's still some hidden tech you haven't learned yet with them which is fake news. If you listen to certain people they'll try to gaslight you into thinking you haven't already mastered a specific character and they'll have you spinning on the hamster wheel chasing a carrot that doesn't exist
After you've learned every possible mindgame for every tile, every tech/flick and played/won hundreds of matches with one Killer the only thing that can possibly improve your win rate with them would be to minimize the mistakes you see yourself making when you watch your own matches. The game isn't that deep, at a certain point there's no more hidden mindgames/strats that will help you in the top bracket(s).. its just a matter of execution and RNG
One more basic but useful piece of advice I can give without writing an essay on slippery Rush tiles you can use or writing way more paragraphs is to not focus so much on "getting good" when you're trying to compete with the sweats. Ironically, higher level Survivors get thrown off by baby-average Killers at times because instead of going for fancy skillshots and veteran mindgames like they're (Survivors) predicting, they'll (Baby/Average Killers) make unpredictable/stupid plays instead which actually works out for them. Sometimes the moonwalk at a jungle gym is a waste of time against somebody with a large FOV, waiting for your stain on the edge of one side panning their camera. You'd actually be better off just chasing regular like a bot and using that extra 1-2 seconds to force the vaults and get rid of pallets faster against players at that level, unless you're confident that they'll eventually make mistakes
You can't commit too hard to either playstyle, the best way would be to mix and match according to the lobby you're in and be unpredictable since you should be under the assumption they're making callouts (Don't overdo the assumptions though). Try to challenge yourself to change your style in real-time according to the map and team instead of having a specific gimmick you commit to like some people get caught up on. If a mindgame doesn't work once on a Survivor then try the same move on them one more time max. They'll more than likely predict that you're going to do the opposite instead of expecting you to do the same thing that didn't work the first time. If it still doesn't change after the second time though then just drop the mindgames on them all together and just play regularly. Start focusing on different preferences/strats for different maps as opposed to just the Killer itself too
As a note, everyone thinks I'm talking about blight. I'm not sure where the miscommunication is: I'm losing on EVERY killer today, when i haven't lost in months, he was just one example. I do not main blight, and I'm losing on my mains, I was just trying him a game or two.
I'm literally just going afk now to lower my mmr
I don't know ######### is going on I legitimately feel like behavior is punishing me or something
I have lost more today as killer than I have in the past six months added together. I'm legitimately wanting to throw my ######### playstation through a goddamn window
I am seriously ######### pissed. I'm coming off of a win streak so ######### high I lost count and cannot get a SINGLE ######### KILL TODAY ######### IS GOING ON.
I just loaded in a match with a streamer who has 5.2 THOUSAND ######### HOURS. WHY AM I PLAYING SOMEONE WITH THAT MANY HOURS I DON'T EVEN HAVE I THINK A THOUSAND A KILLER AND SURVIVOR COMBINED
edit* streamer was very nice and calmed me down a little. I guess I'm just close to quitting like my swf group did. This is absolutley ridiculous I cannot possibly be playing in the same league as these ######### sweaty swfs and streamers I'm getting today. I know way too much about this ######### game to think there is even a remote chance this is even CLOSE to even match making.
######### did I even get good enough for iri 1 for. Literally just being punished for having improved when I could have just kept playing camping bubba but NOOOOO I had to learn to play the stupid game.
I'm ranting like an immature kid. I'll stop now. Not much left to say in terms of this thread or advice. I thought it was just some slightly better players but knowing now I'm facing literal 5k hour survivors idgaf. I;m considering juts Turning the game off for a couple weeks and seeing if my mmr degrades naturally and Going to play vhs with the swf crew that quit. This is not fun. It is not fun putting so much effort in to improve just to get slammed with a four stack of Michael Jordan players when I just barely made it to the minor leagues.
At high killer mmr you need to be good at chase, like all the things you listed that you started working on (moonwalking, situational awareness, how to run each of the map tiles based off your killer etc) but you should take a break for a day or two if you've been playing nonstop killer.
I found that (pre 6.1.0 patch) I would get mentally exhausted from looping mindgames as killer after playing it too much and so my winrate would go down because I'd know what I needed to do to win a chase but mentally I was too burned out to focus that hard.
You should also know when to change up your build. Any time I went into a match without a clear strategy for my killer power and build and addons Id do poorly. The same build will start to get old and eventually you start getting survivors who have caught on to whatever build you've been using. It's like the entity knows you've been using the same build or strategy for a while and sends you survivors who know how to counter it well lol Try different fun perk synergies out every once in a while. I used to main lots of different killers and I had different builds for each I'd swap out every once and a while.
I'm high mmr but low sweat, if that makes sense. It's not very rewarding to me personally to sweat it out for a 4k. I'm usually fine with a 2-3k because honestly 4ks arent super rewarding mmr-wise either. Like, why sweat your *** off so the mmr will give you an even sweatier match next time? I spent almost a year in that 4k mindset until I got burned out. But that's just my take. People will play how they want. Whatever.
So I doubt I'm "top MMR" like at all but I consider myself decent and know what direction people are going with playstyle . Theres a lot more gen rushing with toolboxes (and usually Prove Thyself), and 1-2 people constantly setting boons up. Now as far as the looping , that is tough because even I have been having countless matches lately with tiles with like 6 windows and 2 pallets. Truth is I just quit the chase if I can tell they are a master looper , and find the weak link . They re did some of the tiles in some maps and are switching up little things like that . I have personally had many back to back games recently where it was only Macmillan, Cold wind farm , and Haddonfield. As a hag I cringe when I get these maps but I just try my hardest to get someone to basement quick as possible .
I agree i may just need a break. I've been home with covid for about a week and couldn't move so I've done nothing but play dbd. And exactly like you said I'm sitting here calling every move the survivors are making in advanced and still falling for it. Going nuts.
I'm livid at the boons. I've spent the last few months laughing at boons, just saying "haha i heard a boon that means no one is on a gen" then putting it out once a chase took me near it.
Now today all of a sudden the hardest to find totems are getting double and triple stacked with boons and EVERY move I make is getting undone. I guess the boons do work at high mmr just not where I was before.
The popular streamers typically dump their MMR off stream to get easier matchups for streams, so a lot of solo queue players in the streams isn't unexpected.
Watching a lot of the big streamers, the survivors they are getting I'd expect to be someone who is fairly new to DBD. A lot of them just running into walls, lost and generally confused. One of the most common lines I hear from the streamers are, "What were you doing??" Yeah, the survivor quality they are getting are low tier in experience. That's due to dropped MMR.
yeah im sure some may throw but not all. Tofu loses occasionally on his, and otz atleast I know is cracked, and deadplays.
yeah, you won't understand tru3's position or killer's problems until you are among top killers in the game. there is reason why tru3 has the positions he has in regards to the game. Once your MMR gets high enough, a lot of killer lack skill expression to beat truly outstanding survivor players. otz's 30 second afk challenge +no perks/add-on with 4k on killer is not gameplay reality for killers.
there's no real secret that can help you. you have to learn to play nurse/blight/bubba and pyramid head to have an impact on the outcome on the match at higher levels of play. you need to be very efficient at either tunneling survivors out or be very effective at combining slugging & hook camping to beat better players. Most games for killer are around 5 minute long in term of generators so eliminating early survivors out of the game is completely required. A lot of the pallet loops do not have very much mindgames if the survivor is good and makes no errors. for low-tier and medium tier killers, the game is largely a pallet break simulator on like 90% of the maps. clown happens to be part of that pallet break simulator so tough luck for your clown games.
Yep. Pretty much every game today. I stopped playing survivor cuz my swf quit. Tried solo q and thats just a ######### hatch simulator. I didn't care too much because I have other games to play with my friends. Since I'm a killer main I said no sweat. I don't care if I die as survivor anyway.
But now either all the survivors my level have quit (looking at the steam charts this could be it) or I won enough games that I'm at a point I literally cannot do anything. I just went afk a bunch of matches in a row. Every single game the first gen popped in under 50 seconds. I don't know how thats even possible. A survivor making it to a single ######### pallet means two gens lost.
I understand trues' position way better now. The devs boosted killer rates for the lower level killers and made the majority of survivors get angry and throw/quit but it's done literally nothing for any higher level ones. Pretty pissed right now. Literally feels like mmr is telling me "Yeah you practiced and played a lot, dealt with many toxic surivors bming you, got to where you can win and earn your iri 1. So lets just put you back to square one. what? you thought youd get fair even games that are 2 escape 2 dead? haha ######### you go back to getting stomped on again"
Dredge is bit map debendant and I find his antiloop bit hard to use and not fun for me as smart survivors just hold W. Artist has better version of it when you can just make survivor be in situation where he gets hit no matter what. I personally enjoy killers which have straightforward antiloop like ph, nemesis and demogorgon.
Legion just got kinda nerfed bit as you have to keep all 4 injured to get full use out of thanatobia with recent patch. But with right add ons I think he is decent. Bubba I think is just made for camping and to do well you need early down maybe lethal pursuer could work in that. His long chainsaw add on definetely is good and it allows more mindgaming but that's rarely available.