Will Accessibility Options Be Provided For Killers As Well?

As many of yall are aware (but not all), Spine Chill has a temporary effect that makes it show the intensity of the terror radius based on on a progress bar. This effect plans to be removed in the future when accessibility to people with hearing disabilities is provided with new settings and such.

Both roles require auditory cues in order to perform well, for survivor, hearing the terror radius as survivor can make the difference between life and death, for killer, hearing the footsteps can prevent a potential pallet or flashlight save. Audio is important. And both sides should have options for those with hearing disabilities.

But my question is will these settings be solely exclusive to survivor or will there be settings to help out killers who may have hearing disabilities as well?

Comments

  • Sadly I don’t think killers will have accessibility, survivors will probably try to make the excuse of that you can just play any other killer that are easier. Which sucks because why pay for a killer that you can’t even play to the fullest potential because of no accessibility to accommodate your needs.

  • How would that even work? As I understand it, Spine Chill wasn't designed as an accessibility thing but was used as such by those who needed it so changing it negatively effected those that found their accommodation that allowed them to play the game. As far as I know, there are no perks for killers that would work similarly to enhance sounds or give visual cues instead of sounds. MAYBE Whispers but I doubt it would be really helpful.

    For other perks being used for accessibility, you'll find a vocal group asking for Shadowborn to be an option in game to help for those that experience motion sickness while playing killer. So if this is trying to be a weird killer vs survivor thing, I think you're off base.

  • of course not, the half baked colorblind mode was only even added because of a PR disaster surrounding it. Best they get is sounds being more likely to work properly since IW got nerfed and they still never fixed its attenuation bug thats existed for years.

  • @CodeDB said:

    How would that even work? As I understand it, Spine Chill wasn't designed as an accessibility thing but was used as such by those who needed it so changing it negatively effected those that found their accommodation that allowed them to play the game. As far as I know, there are no perks for killers that would work similarly to enhance sounds or give visual cues instead of sounds. MAYBE Whispers but I doubt it would be really helpful.

    For other perks being used for accessibility, you'll find a vocal group asking for Shadowborn to be an option in game to help for those that experience motion sickness while playing killer. So if this is trying to be a weird killer vs survivor thing, I think you're off base.

    DbD Mobile has a lot of visual indicators for various things within the game.

    For survivors they have a visual heart that beats depending on how close the killer is.

    For killer, there are visual notifications for certain actions done around the killer (of course they are within range of being heard for the notifications).

    None of these features exist in PC/Console DbD, even though they would help those with hearing disabilities, however the developers had made it clear that more accessibilities options are in the works. We know accessibility is in the works for survivor, but we havent had a single word about anything for the killer side of things, since we are pretty much left in the dark in regards to it, I made this post.

    This isnt about "oh, survivors get all of this, and killers get nothing", it never was, Ive been an advocate for better accessibility in DbD, I want more people to be able to play the game and enjoy it without being hindered by their disabilities, which means I have to look at both roles.

  • I don't even have hearing issues and I'm almost never able to hear footsteps in this game. I can hear my own footsteps as killer, but I can't hear survivors'. Nor are survivors trackable by their injured noises; once I lose sight of a survivor, I may hear about one second of injured noises and then it will disappear and I never hear it again. I either track visually via blood and scratch marks or I don't track survivors. TV speakers, headphones, it doesn't matter, the directional audio is awful. The sound occlusion is at least partially to blame.

    Unfortunately, I don't know how they could add visual cues for the audio that wouldn't delete stealth completely.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    I don't even have hearing issues and I'm almost never able to hear footsteps in this game. I can hear my own footsteps as killer, but I can't hear survivors'. Nor are survivors trackable by their injured noises; once I lose sight of a survivor, I may hear about one second of injured noises and then it will disappear and I never hear it again. I either track visually via blood and scratch marks or I don't track survivors. TV speakers, headphones, it doesn't matter, the directional audio is awful. The sound occlusion is at least partially to blame.

    Unfortunately, I don't know how they could add visual cues for the audio that wouldn't delete stealth completely.

    Footstep icon. have it be on the side of the screen where it comes from, to simulate which side it would be stereo. Then, have it pop and fade in time with the survivor's footsteps, basically "reapplying" itself with each additional footstep. Next you just have it have a max range (say, the killer's TR, maybe a fixed lower value) and make there be 4 total rows, always populating from the top. You could then work out fine details like whether it should work in LoS and/or interpolating between the left and right sides. Also obviously the same could be done with other sound generation methods by just applying a different icon, like crows.

  • I'd like to be able to play at an FOV that doesn't give me headaches tbh

    or

    I'd like to play Killer and not have a macro-clicking ######### sear my retina's with a flashlight. seriously, zero reason for macro's to still be around. Limit the flashlight to like, 5 clicks a second or something.

  • @TragicSolitude said:

    I don't even have hearing issues and I'm almost never able to hear footsteps in this game. I can hear my own footsteps as killer, but I can't hear survivors'. Nor are survivors trackable by their injured noises; once I lose sight of a survivor, I may hear about one second of injured noises and then it will disappear and I never hear it again. I either track visually via blood and scratch marks or I don't track survivors. TV speakers, headphones, it doesn't matter, the directional audio is awful. The sound occlusion is at least partially to blame.

    Unfortunately, I don't know how they could add visual cues for the audio that wouldn't delete stealth completely.

    Yeah thats a real concern. I use the new spine chill for exactly the same way. Dont have to see the killer, hell i dont even know where they are. I just have a perfect instrument that tells me how close they are to me and thats enough to keep my distance, specially if they cant see me in the first place.

  • @CodeDB said:

    How would that even work? As I understand it, Spine Chill wasn't designed as an accessibility thing but was used as such by those who needed it so changing it negatively effected those that found their accommodation that allowed them to play the game. As far as I know, there are no perks for killers that would work similarly to enhance sounds or give visual cues instead of sounds. MAYBE Whispers but I doubt it would be really helpful.

    For other perks being used for accessibility, you'll find a vocal group asking for Shadowborn to be an option in game to help for those that experience motion sickness while playing killer. So if this is trying to be a weird killer vs survivor thing, I think you're off base.

    I used spine chill before because I have difficulty hearing.

    As for when I play killer I used to have old stridor on all my builds for the exact same reason.

  • Putting a suggestion but I'd like if the devs actually muted the killers breathing/footsteps a bit when you're playing as them. On a good bit of killers (legion,trappers,etc) their breathing and footsteps are loud as well as their footsteps,so I personally have a hard time finding survivors that can be right next to me hiding or walking because legions breathing sounds close to a survivors and most killer footsteps drown out the sound of survivors steps.

  • I just want a fov slider for motion sick players. Have had it in my builds for years because i have to. It sucks just looking at my build missing 1 perk which i could use for true synergy but shadowborne has to take the slot.

  • @supersonic853 said:

    I just want a fov slider for motion sick players. Have had it in my builds for years because i have to. It sucks just looking at my build missing 1 perk which i could use for true synergy but shadowborne has to take the slot.

    Same, I also have to use lightborn in all my builds so I don't trigger migraine headaches from unexpected blinds. It would be nice if that animation could be changed to a black or grey screen and not a horrible bright strobing effect.

  • @supersonic853 said:

    I just want a fov slider for motion sick players. Have had it in my builds for years because i have to. It sucks just looking at my build missing 1 perk which i could use for true synergy but shadowborne has to take the slot.

    I want this as well, I just really dislike being forced to use Shadowborn whenever I play killer (I would use Monitor and Abuse but the transition between FOVs just really turns me off from using it) but I think BHVR is afraid that people will abuse a FOV slider to gain an unfair advantage (which so be it, it's not that huge of a deal imo).