Maybe Some Survivors need to "Get Good"
Here we go, time for me to share my input on this patch.
As a person who mainly plays soloq survivor, I can definitely feel a difference in my games. It doesn't necessarily feel like the gen I'm sitting on takes forever or that my personal chases are worse, but the overall game dynamic feels a little off.
I was fortunate enough yesterday to get a good mix of killers and not face forever legion/plague, so I got a good grasp of what an average game might be in this new patch.
A lot of the games that I had, I end up dying in the end, which before the patch, my escape rate was more a 50/50 chance (depending how risky I wanted to be for EGC saves). Now, I'm not entirely upset about this, I was a little bummed last night because I had many games where I knew pre-patch the game wouldn't have ended in a 4k.
The grievances I feel is that the overall game pacing has changed so that survivors definitely have less time to do things. Now, this isn't a bad thing because BHVR wanted to raise the kill rates, so making it harder for survivors to get everything done with 4 survivors alive is a good thing towards that goal.
What I mean about the pacing being different is that by the time end game hits (if it does), there was usually 1 person dead, 1 on hook (person in chase while last gen poppped), and then 2 survivors free. I was usually injured because I found in a lot of my games there wasn't time to heal, which then left us in a situation where we either had to choose gates, heal and go for the save, or split up and maybe hook trade if we had states left. Usually this would result in either a 4k by the killer or only a 1 man out because the killer would pressure the gate and chase one of us letting the other escape. I would say, this scenario was the average game I would have, which feels as if it is designed to only have 1 survivor escape maybe 2 if the killer decides to camp the hook. Usually before, there was a high chance we could get the 3 man out, or at least have enough time to hook trade, get the doors, and reset. Now since the games are a little more closer, there aren't those extra hooks states at the end game for that wiggle room of time.
There were a couple observations that I made that could cause this phenomena to happen or explain why it is harder for survivors right now and how it might not be permanent at all.
- 1: Survivors aren't used to being in chase with the killer without dead hard or aren't used to them getting a quicker blood lust (not forcing the killer to break the pallet to get rid of it as soon).
- 2: Eruption really hurts soloq.
- 3: Low Morale/Ineffecieny
- 4: People aren't used to having to hook trade with the new cooldown time.
So, for the first point. In a lot of my games, my teammates were going down pretty quickly where I would barely get half a gen completed by the time they went down. This was not the case in the previous patch, and I feel like it might be the people who were reliant on having dead hard extend their chase. They just need to adjust and "get good" which will take a little time for them to rememorize how to run loops without getting hit. This didn't effect me personally because I never ran dead hard and usually don't run exhaustion perks, so chase is about the same for me.
Eruption definitely hurt some of my games. I started running rookie spirit just so I could maybe save regressing generators and see what the killer was kicking. Although I know the killer kicked a gen, I don't know when my survivor teammates would actually go down. Having generators take longer, plus me not being able to progress anything for 25 seconds hurts a lot. I can't work on gens and I can't reset myself and heal. Although eruption does have a cooldown, the coooldown is only 30 seconds, so you can basically always apply eruption on gens and if survivors are hit by it, the gen won't gain enough progress to be significant.
This third point also doesn't help when survivors just "give up" because they aren't winning. These games are going to be close, so close that most games might only have 1-2 survivors who get the chance to escape. Having survivors either throw by running to the killer, suiciding on hook, or just wandering around not sitting on gens is basically handing a 4k to the killer. The games will be close and you probably won't get out, but if you decide to stop trying, then it ruins it for the team and you're just sealing your fate. Maybe that one survivor who hasn't gotten chased yet is a god in chase and you should be on a gen instead of opening a chest or cleansing a dull.
I had a bunch of games where survivors get grabbed during the unhook/hook trade. This was because of either STBFL which is now easier to deny unhooks because you have a couple stacks built in base kit or they just hesitated for a split second which was okay before but now you can't. Puts everyone in a really bad spot and usually it was game over at that point.
I still had a couple games where the killer was bad and we got a 4 man out, but those were because I think the killer was kinda thrown into a game they weren't supposed to get (I had to wait for survivor games quite a bit). I still was able to have good chases that would bring back the game. I was able to have some good chases that would allow 2 gens to pop and then I would get hooked. It just wasn't enough in some games when my teammates would go down quickly.
I feel like, as survivors improve in chase without using dead hard, then escape rates will go back up a little. There is the other scenario where then more experienced survivors have their mmr drop so then they are paired with people who give them more a 50/50 escape rate, which just causes mmr to have a deflated survivor skill level so that will be interesting.
TLDR; Survivors need time to adjust in chase where they have to loop without having dead hard. It's going to be rough for survivors for a bit, but most likely will go back to having better average escape rates for those who can loop.
Comments
Survivor queue times get shorter = survivors are all leaving because of this patch
Survivor queue times get longer = survivors -want- to leave because of the patch, but they're forced to play survivor for BP
No possible answer that involves people still actually enjoying the survivor role, I assume?
Yeah... I barely escaped any of my games last night. It definitely was a bit of a bummer. It's the games where we only get 1 gen done for me that makes me feel kind of bored and sad with it. I'm running these fun perks and just not able to do much because it feels like the team is dropping like flies.
While I agree that the basekit buffs to killers also help in chase, I definitely have to say that DH nerf does take some credit when it comes to buying time. My survivor games used to have on average at least 2 other plays running deadhard, and now deadhard is useless. Maybe in your games Deadhard was useless, but a lot of my killer games, deadhard was really significant in certain loops with windows. High mmr survivors know how to use dead hard well, so a lot of times it would buy another 15-20 seconds in chase if they were able to get to a good loop. Longer gens times also don't help, but when my teammate goes down in 40 seconds and would have been able to reset their chase and gotten another 40 seconds in the past, it makes a difference.
All they did in my games of survivor is camp and tunnel not really scary just boring, makes me want to main killer.
I didn't say DH does not deserve any credit I said it's getting too much. Which it is. I get it. It's a visible perk. Changes that are not easily seen are hard to factor into what makes the differences in chases. At high MMR chases were extended because pallets could be looped maybe one or two more times before a forced drop. So yeah, they extended. I was a dead hard user myself with a fairly comfortable knowledge of looping and yet I didn't always get my dh off or was in a position to use it effectively. Equipping doesn't always mean it was used to extend anything. I'd say if you knew how to use DH effectively you had some basic knowledge of the mechanics of chase anyway. A new player that can't loop isn't going to throw on DH and become a God. A lot of people are saying DH is the only reason survivors were winning and that just isn't the case. It was the only reason killers could point to and say, see I saw them use this and they won but there are many factors to winning and dh is just one piece.
Yeah I agree. I wonder what would have been the difference in games if they only did the dead hard nerf. Because having eruption buff and gens take longer both hurt a lot when it comes to finishing the gen. I honestly think a big part of why games go bad is people just giving up, and when you have 3 gens that are almost done but not popping because survivors aren't pressuring them properly, the team will drop like flies with it looking like they got nothing done.
Game feels great as killer. I was playing Clown and Ghostface and always felt like i had a chance to win going for 12 hooks if I played well. It was so much less stressful not having to worry about Dead Hard or endgame DS/OTR. I do expect that they will revert at least one of the basekit changes, such as the speed boost nerf or the weapon wipe speed increase.
That being said, solo needs info buffs immediately. They need the icons showing what other survivors are doing and a Rocket League style chat wheel to say I'm going for the save! Killer chasing me! etc. I think basekit Kindred would be fine if it severely restricted how far you can see the killer's aura because knowing exactly where the killer is going after the hook is really strong.
Basically just need to give all the free info a swf on comms gets to soloq basekit.
This I fully agree with. The killer buffs are great, but survivors needed something in return. I so want them to add those survivor icons to help out solo survivors. And I want them to actually nerf camping and tunneling, and not actually buff camping.
This is just my opinion so it doesn't mean much but you have alot of posts so I assume you've played for a while, and I want to clarify inner strength is a good perk and I'm not hating on it I'm stating my opinion in general
People have gotten too comfortable healing in this game, and against skilled killers you need to make the most of your time, gens go fast if people commit to them and run builds to counteract the slowdown somewhat because there's not enough speed perks you can combine to totally stop it but still adrenaline, resilience is one hell of an underrated combo you're basically staying injured to have a free toolbox and if multiple people are running gen builds with adrenaline the gens will fly by faster than you think and you'll all fly out of there like cockroaches.
I've always said this and caught a bunch of ######### on here but good survivors don't need to heal because they're good enough in chase to stay on gens and still give the killer a decent run if they run up on them, survivors heal too much in today's DBD and there's a time and place for healing like after a gen pops and someone is right there other than stopping everything to reset everytime.
I doubt it, since they disabled bonus killer queue is endless again, dying 9/10 match is probably not that fun for the average dbd player
I'd be fine without healing if Iron Will was still available. The moaning just gets on my nerves after a while.
That's my biggest issue with this. Idc about dead hard or whatever, but basekit buffs for killers and nothing to compensate for solo q just isn't great.
a lot of survivors are still playing like they are untouchable and toy around with the killer which ends... very quickly
nobody is doing gens