New Sole Survivor makes no sense

I mean why give a 75% boost to gen repair if ur last survivor, if the Hatch is a thing?

also, doesn’t it kill Wake Up by giving SS a better boost?

Comments

  • It's so weird, because they basically just stuck old Left Behind onto it when Left Behind was changed because the repair speed boost didn't fit the model of the endgame collapse anymore. I guess it makes the Left For Dead achievement a little more doable, but other than that, it's a pointless addition.

    Wake Up is more useful if your team is alive, although in those cases you probably don't need the speed boost nearly as much. I'd say Sole Survivor is better on the whole, but that's only because Wake Up is pretty weak.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    The 75% gen repair speed boost was the original left behind effect. (or it was originally 25% but they buffed it)

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/PZPJBLH3OVV2/image.png

    I think they added it to sole survivor because of this achievement

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/O6J3LP8WWIBQ/image.png

    (yes i have it, i was really excited when i got this)

    Also it doesn't kill wake up because sole survivor doesn't work if there are other players still alive. You could combine both however.

    I think it's a cool perk now. If a survivor has it in a hatch closed scenario they are much more likely to escape.

    Fair enough. But once the killer closes the hatch there is no point in the gen repair boost. (Btw I also have that achievement from 2017 I think lol I played only on xbox then)

  • Sole Survivor doesn't make sense.

  • Killer stands on open hatch

    Survivor has to repair gens, wait, or suicide

  • I don’t like it from a design standpoint because if a team is losing (but the game isn’t unwinnable) it just encourages a survivor with this perk to just hide and wait for hatch/wait for hatch to get closed and get an almost guaranteed escape with a 50% faster exit gate.

  • @sizzlingmario4 said:

    I don’t like it from a design standpoint because if a team is losing (but the game isn’t unwinnable) it just encourages a survivor with this perk to just hide and wait for hatch/wait for hatch to get closed and get an almost guaranteed escape with a 50% faster exit gate.

    Not much different from NOED encouraging killers to play any match-throwing way they please, knowing there's a chance at more free downs/kills later

  • @Nos37 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026461#Comment_3026461

    Not much different from NOED encouraging killers to play any match-throwing way they please, knowing there's a chance at more free downs/kills later

    No? The killer can play however they want; they're the only person on their team, and if they get kills, it worked. Survivors that do nothing and wait for their teammates to die aren't performing their role and generally get their teammates killed through inaction. Nobody liked hatch campers and nobody will like Sole Survivors.

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026468#Comment_3026468

    No? The killer can play however they want; they're the only person on their team, and if they get kills, it worked. Survivors that do nothing and wait for their teammates to die aren't performing their role and generally get their teammates killed through inaction. Nobody liked hatch campers and nobody will like Sole Survivors.

    Agreed. I mean if theres a chance why not try? Why hide until ur the last? I always give my best chases even if I know we cant win, or that ill be camped as soon as the killer gets me. SS encourages individualism I dont really like the changes

  • Yeah, you do the last gen before the killer finds the hatch and it gives away your location.

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026468#Comment_3026468

    No? The killer can play however they want; they're the only person on their team, and if they get kills, it worked. Survivors that do nothing and wait for their teammates to die aren't performing their role and generally get their teammates killed through inaction. Nobody liked hatch campers and nobody will like Sole Survivors.

    Their role?

    "The Survivors are a team of 4. They can choose to cooperate or to look out for themselves."

  • @Nos37 said:

    Killer stands on open hatch

    Survivor has to repair gens, wait, or suicide

    this does come up once in a while. someone Really wants a 4k, and won't close the hatch. Tbh I think they should go even higher with the gen speed, I mean why not right? Have it be 400% or something for shits and giggles

  • @Nos37 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026475#Comment_3026475

    Their role?

    "The Survivors are a team of 4. They can choose to cooperate or to look out for themselves."

    If anyone quotes the steam page, so help me.

  • I'm quoting the in-game manual.

    Main Menu> Getting Started> Game Manual> The Game> Assymetry

  • @Nos37 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026475#Comment_3026475

    Their role?

    "The Survivors are a team of 4. They can choose to cooperate or to look out for themselves."

    Are you seriously trying to tell me that hiding at the edges of the map for the entire match is a valid playstyle?

    Because everyone who's played this game before knows that survivors lose in a 3v1 unless there's a massive skill disparity and MMR has screwed up. The survivor team cannot escape without everyone working together. People can ditch each other at the end, but before that point, selfishness is ultimately self-defeating because your teammates are your meat shields. Nobody wants to encourage 'wait for you all to die so I can get hatch' gameplay because the presence of those players makes the game impossible for every other survivor playstyle.

  • @Nos37 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026517#Comment_3026517

    I'm quoting the in-game manual.

    Main Menu> Getting Started> Game Manual> The Game> Assymetry

    At no point of this game's life cycle was it not a team game.

    The only ways a survivor can survive while "looking out for themselves" were implemented after these statements solely to end the game quicker. LoOkInG oUT FoR number one usually just gets everyone killed.

    You know what's a game that you really could just "look out for yourself"? Friday. There were like 5 different escape methods at any given time and nothing stopped you from taking the 4 seater and driving off. You evem got an achievement for it.

    How about we listen to Dwight instead:

    "I need you to survive so I can survive!"

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026505#Comment_3026505

    Are you seriously trying to tell me that hiding at the edges of the map for the entire match is a valid playstyle?

    Because everyone who's played this game before knows that survivors lose in a 3v1 unless there's a massive skill disparity and MMR has screwed up. The survivor team cannot escape without everyone working together. People can ditch each other at the end, but before that point, selfishness is ultimately self-defeating because your teammates are your meat shields. Nobody wants to encourage 'wait for you all to die so I can get hatch' gameplay because the presence of those players makes the game impossible for every other survivor playstyle.

    Why do you choose to only see it in black & white?

    Waiting for hatch because the killer's trying to use empathy to bait me into the unhook when it's just me and 1 other is not the same as "hiding at the edges of the map for the entire match."

    That said, solo matches can often fall apart so quickly that I actually am hiding only a few minutes into the match.

  • If the killer wants 4k's then they can wait for a match against SWF, who will over-altruistically go for rescues, with little regard for hatch plays.

    Solos have very little. Hatch and exit gates are their friends, not some stranger on a hook being used as bait.

  • @Grandpa_Crack_Pipe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026524#Comment_3026524

    At no point of this game's life cycle was it not a team game.

    The only ways a survivor can survive while "looking out for themselves" were implemented after these statements solely to end the game quicker. LoOkInG oUT FoR number one usually just gets everyone killed.

    You know what's a game that you really could just "look out for yourself"? Friday. There were like 5 different escape methods at any given time and nothing stopped you from taking the 4 seater and driving off. You evem got an achievement for it.

    How about we listen to Dwight instead:

    "I need you to survive so I can survive!"

    Unhooking the 1 other survivor in front of the proxy killer is not going to let either of us survive

  • @Nos37 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026532#Comment_3026532

    Unhooking the 1 other survivor in front of the proxy killer is not going to let either of us survive

    You weren't talking about that. You specifically brought up the "looking out for themselves" part in response to him saying that survivors waiting for their team to die to get hatch wasn't them performing their role.

    Yeah, duh, overaltruism kills teams. That's not looking out for yourself, that's not playing like an idiot.

    But you weren't talking about that.

  • @Grandpa_Crack_Pipe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026542#Comment_3026542

    You weren't talking about that. You specifically brought up the "looking out for themselves" part in response to him saying that survivors waiting for their team to die to get hatch wasn't them performing their role.

    Yeah, duh, overaltruism kills teams. That's not looking out for yourself, that's not playing like an idiot.

    But you weren't talking about that.

    I was. Otherwise it would be off topic

  • I wouldn't say the new sole survivor is totally useless, it's got its niche but I guess it all depends on what you pair it with. Maybe you can put it with Arenaline and Poised for some sneaky late game shenanigans when you're the only one left and if you really wanna go all in, bring wake up too for that 75% gate opening speed for even bigger memes.

  • Screenshot_20220625-222752_Chrome.jpg

    It sounded like a straight-defense of the tactic of "waiting for your teammates to die" tactic with the quote from the manual/store, which was actual slow suicide at the time of statement because the hatch literally didn't exist.

    Unless I'm wrong and that isn't what you meant, but I'm pretty sure this is the way words are supposed to flow.

  • If you're the last survivor, it can be advantageous to have both the exits powered and the hatch open. This gives the killer three objectives to guard.

    So if the only other survivor is killed and you have the last gen at 50% or sonething, completing it quickly could be a good idea.

  • @Grandpa_Crack_Pipe said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026558#Comment_3026558

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/YA9REOWCLSU8/screenshot-20220625-222752-chrome.jpg

    It sounded like a straight-defense of the tactic of "waiting for your teammates to die" tactic with the quote from the manual/store, which was actual slow suicide at the time of statement because the hatch literally didn't exist.

    Unless I'm wrong and that isn't what you meant, but I'm pretty sure this is the way words are supposed to flow.

    Go back further.

    Sizzlingmario said that it will encourage survivors to camp the hatch rather than make a rescue attempt.

    I said NOED does the same thing for killer.

    Lazuli said that making rescue attempts is the survivor's role.

    I said that survivors can look out for themselves. They don't have to rescue.

    Then people started taking that as me justifying survivors doing nothing the whole match.

  • @Nos37 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026565#Comment_3026565

    Go back further.

    Sizzlingmario said that it will encourage survivors to camp the hatch rather than make a rescue attempt.

    I said NOED does the same thing for killer.

    Lazuli said that making rescue attempts is the survivor's role.

    I said that survivors can look out for themselves. They don't have to rescue.

    Then people started taking that as me justifying survivors doing nothing the whole match.

    Huh. In the space of those two posts, that is what it looks like.

    In my defense, few things get the crack rage going like that steam store quote.

  • @Seraphor said:

    If you're the last survivor, it can be advantageous to have both the exits powered and the hatch open. This gives the killer three objectives to guard.

    So if the only other survivor is killed and you have the last gen at 50% or sonething, completing it quickly could be a good idea.

    Not really. The killer can simply close the hatch and watch 2 unmovable objects instead of 3. It makes no sense to let the surv finish the gen it’s riskier.

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026468#Comment_3026468

    No? The killer can play however they want; they're the only person on their team, and if they get kills, it worked. Survivors that do nothing and wait for their teammates to die aren't performing their role and generally get their teammates killed through inaction. Nobody liked hatch campers and nobody will like Sole Survivors.

    Survivors can play however they want as well (within the rules).

    There's this misconception that they're a team. They're not. They're 4 individuals who can decide to cooperate or not and who can change their minds at any moment. As long as they're not actively sandbagging, they're allowed to be as selfish as they please.

  • @Bwsted said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026475#Comment_3026475

    Survivors can play however they want as well (within the rules).

    There's this misconception that they're a team. They're not. They're 4 individuals who can decide to cooperate or not and who can change their minds at any moment. As long as they're not actively sandbagging, they're allowed to be as selfish as they please.

    Sure u can. Doesn’t mean u should.

    also, its no “misconception”, u gotta work together to reach a common goal. U cant do all 5 gens alone, be chased by the killer all by urself for the whole match.

    If a player is removed early from the match, most likely everybody will die as well. The higher the mmr the truer this is.

  • @DY86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026566#Comment_3026566

    Not really. The killer can simply close the hatch and watch 2 unmovable objects instead of 3. It makes no sense to let the surv finish the gen it’s riskier.

    You can still beat the killer to the hatchn or start opan exit while the killer is looking for it

  • @Seraphor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026627#Comment_3026627

    You can still beat the killer to the hatchn or start opan exit while the killer is looking for it

    Exactly for that reason its not worth it finishing the last gen. Ur chances are better trying to find the hatch

  • @DY86 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026641#Comment_3026641

    Sure u can. Doesn’t mean u should.

    also, its no “misconception”, u gotta work together to reach a common goal. U cant do all 5 gens alone, be chased by the killer all by urself for the whole match.

    If a player is removed early from the match, most likely everybody will die as well. The higher the mmr the truer this is.

    This is not about you or I feel about how the game should be. This is about how the game is currently intended. And in that case, there's only one goal for survivors i.e. escaping. But it's not common unless they decide that for themselves. Survive with others, or not.

    Survivors are not a team, you can argue that however you want. But as surprising, counterintuitive, or upsetting as that fact could be, it doesn't change due to how you, or I, or anyone else feels about it.

  • @Bwsted said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/3026650#Comment_3026650

    This is not about you or I feel about how the game should be. This is about how the game is currently intended. And in that case, there's only one goal for survivors i.e. escaping. But it's not common unless they decide that for themselves. Survive with others, or not.

    Survivors are not a team, you can argue that however you want. But as surprising, counterintuitive, or upsetting as that fact could be, it doesn't change due to how you, or I, or anyone else feels about it.

    Unless u can do all gens by urself and chase the killer at the same time it is indeed a team game.

    I mean, We can put ur hypothesis to test. We just hop into a swf u, me and 2 of my buds, right. Then the 3 of us just die right of the bat. If u can escape alone then you’ll be proven right

  • When I'm the last survivor standing I like to finish the last gen just because hatch feels like unfair escape not finishing my job. This gen speed buff when you are the last man standing should be basekit for all survivors.