Unfun map design
I'm hoping this is one survivor and killer players can agree upon. Suffocation Pit, Azarov's Resting Place, Sanctum of Wrath, and RPD. They all have one thing in common: they are bowtie/hourglass shaped maps, with gens on each side and one or two in the middle. They typically lead to very unfun matches for both roles. Either the survivors are smart and repair the gens in a way it's impossible for killers to patrol the entire map; or killers can just lock down one side of the map, easily forcing a three gen situation. They all pretty much also have small middle chokes, where avoiding site from the killer can be nearly impossible (especially RPD). They essentially incentive killers camping both generators and hooked survivors - understandably so.
What are your thoughts on these maps? Are they ok as they are? Would minor tweaks make them better? Or should they be reworked entirely?
Comments
If a 3 gen does not happen all three of these maps are far more survivor sided. It can be even harder to three gen on a map like RPD because it is a two story map and if you commit to long to a chase with out a hook you can easily lose the three gen before you start. Many maps suck for killers fewer suck for survivor (Looking at you sheltered woods as the only map I can think of off the top of my head for bad survivor maps).
They are terrible maps and just need reworked.
M1 killer on Suffocation pit is broken, you can get like level 3 bloodlust and the survivors can just run to another T wall with a vault until it locks and then to another and there's like 6 pallets.
RPD is the only map I don’t have to get a sweat on in solo q, going by that SWF in RPD for killers must be pure hell for the, although some killers have a pure advantage on that map but rarely.
Sanctum of wrath is pretty bad and boring it's just azarovs resting place with a Japanese paint poured over it
Sanctum of Wrath and Suffocation Pit are both good maps, in my opinion, I usually have fun on those. Suffocation Pit is one of my favourite maps, honestly.
Resting Place is one of my least favourite maps, and the issue stems from the overall size. Both ends are too small, and are lacking in pallets/tiles, with a pretty stacked mid section. This leads to one side of the map being camped, with what little pallets are on both sides being broken quite quickly. If a survivor ends up getting hooked on the side the killer is on, it usually ends up at least being a trade because there is simply nothing to loop the killer on.
Additionally, due to the huge size, survivors resetting on the other side of the map are basically impossible to interrupt, leading to 30 minute games that feel impossible to win from the survivor side, and with boring camp-heavy gameplay from the killer side.
The issue with ARP doesn't come from the hourglass shape inherently (as I said, Sanctum and Suffo Pit are both very fun imo), it just pushes it too far to the extreme.
I think increasing the amount of tiles each end, alongside making the mid section a little weaker, alongside shrinking the map could make it a lot more fun. I don't know, I'm not a map designer.
I think the majority of RPD's complaints come from other reasons than the hourglass shape, the main one being it's difficulty of navigation.
The Game....Red Forest....Swamp.......and RPD....just wow.
Sanctum of Wrath is fine. I don't like the other 3 maps at all though.
ARP or Suffo Pit is almost an automatic win for the killer with a full meta build. You have to fumble that insanely hard to lose. Never cross the midway point. You can camp the hook all the way from the choke point if you know survivors are all on the other side. Broken design.
What?? Suffocation Pit is insanely survivor sided IMO. I hate that map more than any. The main building is really strong and the middle always has jungle gym into jungle gym or back to back to back gyms/t-walls. It's nutty.
Outside of the middle, main building, and killer shack though, the rest of the map is straight up dead zone. Like, all of it.
Suffo is actually one of my favorite for both roles, but I do agree on ARP and RPD.
I'm torn about Sanctum, not as bad as other maps imho