Old or New Matchmaking and Rank Reset?

I am just wondering what people would prefer when it comes to matchmaking and Rank Reset.

For those of you who are newer to DBD, once a month reset would happen and EVERYBODY would be put into the same pot and work their way back up.

Now this could admittedly lead to matches being uneven even when you hit old red ranks, which still didn't matter and tbh I also preferred due to the variety of player skill even at Red Ranks. But it also lead to some very fun times, and interesting times, newer players and older players alike can sometimes perform miracles when they have to help each other regardless of their skill difference, and directly because of it.

And killers getting that 4k, ( for whatever reason ) when the gens flew by and they were say rank 15, something I remember having happen multiple times for me as a new Killer, gave a real sense of satisfaction and achievement.

I liked it this way personally, sometimes I had an easy games in both roles, other times I would be destroyed, but I use to love finding that default Dwight and guarding that man like a loyal dog, dying in the end just so he could escape, I still remember being new to DBD and the thrill I felt from the escape, and the gratitude I felt towards that obviously rank 1 hero who helped me.

Or playing as that new Dwight feeling like this other survivor really had my back, even though back then I could never truly have theirs.

Then the joy of the Killer giving me hatch as he knew that I could never have looped him longer then 10 seconds, and realising he is just a player like me, only he's at the level I am hell bent on getting to as Killer, and one day 5 gen looping as a survivor. And even if I didn't get given the hatch or escape, I didn't care as the next group of players could be anyone at any skill and that added to the joy for me.

And as a Killer I felt some relief knowing that every Survivor wouldn't have 10,000,000 hours each game, allowing me to practice against good and maybe bad/newer players all in one match and also be entertained at the way survivors interacted with me as killer, and with each other while I was on the hunt.

What about you?

Tagged: BHVR

Comments

  • I think the biggest problem with that old system was that it put new players against very experienced players which was completely unfair and pretty horrid for the new player experience.

  • @Mandy said:

    I think the biggest problem with that old system was that it put new players against very experienced players which was completely unfair and pretty horrid for the new player experience.

    I mean mmr still sometimes would put my like 20 hour sister against 2k hours so i don't see the difference. It still happens that sometimes when im playing with my 3 friends which we all have 4k+ hours against a killer with only 100.

  • Old system. Change it back to 2016-2018

    Colored ranks 1-20. Keep current rank reset rewards they are really good.

  • @supersonic853 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852599#Comment_2852599

    I mean mmr still sometimes would put my like 20 hour sister against 2k hours so i don't see the difference. It still happens that sometimes when im playing with my 3 friends which we all have 4k+ hours against a killer with only 100.

    That's something we're looking at addressing as I believe that's the "backfill" issue that has been spoken about previously. I agree, it's not fun at all for the players when this happens.

  • @supersonic853 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852599#Comment_2852599

    I mean mmr still sometimes would put my like 20 hour sister against 2k hours so i don't see the difference. It still happens that sometimes when im playing with my 3 friends which we all have 4k+ hours against a killer with only 100.

    But it happened more often in the old system is Mandy’s point.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852599#Comment_2852599

    I am actually wondering now, because DbD players did clearly showed a disliking about SBMM since it's launch, most of the playerbase at this point, even in the dropping numbers for a very long period of time.

    Do you guys at BHVR are aware of this problem, do you plan on doing something to address this... do you connect the lose of players to SBMM in the first place?

    If you'd like to answer or not, anyways appreciated Mandy! I am genuinely curious now

    They would rather ignore and let the game die instead of "we got it, is not a good system"

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852599#Comment_2852599

    I am actually wondering now, because DbD players did clearly showed a disliking about SBMM since it's launch, most of the playerbase at this point, even in the dropping numbers for a very long period of time.

    Do you guys at BHVR are aware of this problem, do you plan on doing something to address this... do you connect the lose of players to SBMM in the first place?

    If you'd like to answer or not, anyways appreciated Mandy! I am genuinely curious now

    All I can say is what Design Dad has said previously on here, with regards to knowing the system isn't perfect at the moment and that it will be refined.

    5PDLJx4[1].png


  • @Mandy said:

    I think the biggest problem with that old system was that it put new players against very experienced players which was completely unfair and pretty horrid for the new player experience.

    Yup.

    I started during the heyday of ranks, and also a time where killers had just had their matchmaking protections removed.

    Pretty much half my games were against people with hundreds if not thousands of hours, a lot of them smurfing or playing with smurfs. It was miserable.

    I do prefer SBMM, but it's been pooping the bed a lot recently. Nobody wants a ridiculous queue, but I'd rather wait 4 minutes for a good match than 2 minutes for an awful one.

    @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852603#Comment_2852603

    That's something we're looking at addressing as I believe that's the "backfill" issue that has been spoken about previously. I agree, it's not fun at all for the players when this happens.

    Is there...any word on when this will be ready? SBMM is probably the contentious topic right now, and this would settle things down a whole lot.

  • The old system was just too easy to Smurf. And there were many of them.

  • Current SBMM isn’t really better than the old system but at least there is now the possibility of improvement and refinement, which wasn’t really there with emblem/rank based matchmaking.

  • @Mandy said:

    I think the biggest problem with that old system was that it put new players against very experienced players which was completely unfair and pretty horrid for the new player experience.

    Because mmr totally still doesn't do that, It's not uncommon at all for me to see survivors with around 100 hours despite having over 2k

  • Honestly, it's hard to say which i'd prefer b/c swf stats are much higher than solo. On one hand yes i'd like the previous system back or even a first in, first out system b/c who cares? Let's just play for fun and not sweat. However swf should get harder games b/c of the tremendous advantage they have.

  • Yesterday, as Nurse, one of my opponents had 8 hours ... 8 bloody hours. His teammates were barely in the 500 hours range.

    I don't even dare to be too nice anymore. I suspect the MMR may send more of those my way if I do it. This is about as unpleasant as going against SWF teams with twice my experience (although these games are usually over in 5 minutes).

  • @drsoontm said:

    Yesterday, as Nurse, one of my opponents had 8 hours ... 8 bloody hours. His teammates were barely in the 500 hours range.

    I don't even dare to be too nice anymore. I suspect the MMR may send more of those my way if I do it. This is about as unpleasant as going against SWF teams with twice my experience (although these games are usually over in 5 minutes).

    Sounds like you were a backfill and/or that player was in a swf with someone else in that match.

  • @dugman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852701#Comment_2852701

    Sounds like you were a backfill and/or that player was in a swf with someone else in that match.

    In backfill I understand how a survivor is replaced by another without any regard for his MMR ranking. (And here I was way too experienced for the best of them)

    Do you mean the killer can also be a backfil? If their lobby has been waiting for a long time?

    Maybe it explains why I tend to get less experienced groups around midnight.

  • @drsoontm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852707#Comment_2852707

    In backfill I understand how a survivor is replaced by another without any regard for his MMR ranking. (And here I was way too experienced for the best of them)

    Do you mean the killer can also be a backfil? If their lobby has been waiting for a long time?

    Maybe it explains why I tend to get less experienced groups around midnight.

    Exactly right, if a lobby is full and a killer dodges it (“Four TTV survivors? I’m out!”) then it backfills with whatever killer player is available.

  • @Mandy said:

    I think the biggest problem with that old system was that it put new players against very experienced players which was completely unfair and pretty horrid for the new player experience.

    This happens with SBMMR as well,some of my games I go againts god squads and others I go againts survivors that have no idea what they're doing,its clear at this point calculating someone skill based on escapes and kills is not working.

  • @dugman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852711#Comment_2852711

    Exactly right, if a lobby is full and a killer dodges it (“Four TTV survivors? I’m out!”) then it backfills with whatever killer player is available.

    Oh gods😱

  • Lol, I actually had a match against four TTV survivors the other night. Turned out not to be too bad though, I don’t think they were top notch streamers but just average kids doing the streaming thing on the side or whatever.

  • @Witas said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852599#Comment_2852599

    Because mmr totally still doesn't do that, It's not uncommon at all for me to see survivors with around 100 hours despite having over 2k

    It's certainly less common than it was under ranks.

    It was so easy to smurf that even some Fog Whisperers did it openly 'to get easier matches'.

  • @dugman said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852743#Comment_2852743

    Lol, I actually had a match against four TTV survivors the other night. Turned out not to be too bad though, I don’t think they were top notch streamers but just average kids doing the streaming thing on the side or whatever.

    You were lucky. TTVs often give me a bad experience. It usually ends with a rage-quit when their failed bullying attempt puts them on a hook.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2852611#Comment_2852611

    All I can say is what Design Dad has said previously on here, with regards to knowing the system isn't perfect at the moment and that it will be refined.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/TBXDKRJLJJIU/5pdljx4-5b1-5d.png

    Do you think it would be possible for someone to come out and say "Hey, we're planning on doing this to change matchmaking, so what do you, the people who play the game, think of it?"

    Genuinely curious about this. Because we can't get a repeat of someone getting asked so much that they snap at people on stream and unless everyone is contractually obliged to not give the community any information in regards to changes to the games, I don't see why you can't. DbD is in a brilliant position to make it the best it could possibly be, but it seems like the opportunity is going to waste at this rate.

  • @Gorik said:

    I am just wondering what people would prefer when it comes to matchmaking and Rank Reset.

    For those of you who are newer to DBD, once a month reset would happen and EVERYBODY would be put into the same pot and work their way back up.

    Now this could admittedly lead to matches being uneven even when you hit old red ranks, which still didn't matter and tbh I also preferred due to the variety of player skill even at Red Ranks. But it also lead to some very fun times, and interesting times, newer players and older players alike can sometimes perform miracles when they have to help each other regardless of their skill difference, and directly because of it.

    And killers getting that 4k, ( for whatever reason ) when the gens flew by and they were say rank 15, something I remember having happen multiple times for me as a new Killer, gave a real sense of satisfaction and achievement.

    I liked it this way personally, sometimes I had an easy games in both roles, other times I would be destroyed, but I use to love finding that default Dwight and guarding that man like a loyal dog, dying in the end just so he could escape, I still remember being new to DBD and the thrill I felt from the escape, and the gratitude I felt towards that obviously rank 1 hero who helped me.

    Or playing as that new Dwight feeling like this other survivor really had my back, even though back then I could never truly have theirs.

    Then the joy of the Killer giving me hatch as he knew that I could never have looped him longer then 10 seconds, and realising he is just a player like me, only he's at the level I am hell bent on getting to as Killer, and one day 5 gen looping as a survivor. And even if I didn't get given the hatch or escape, I didn't care as the next group of players could be anyone at any skill and that added to the joy for me.

    And as a Killer I felt some relief knowing that every Survivor wouldn't have 10,000,000 hours each game, allowing me to practice against good and maybe bad/newer players all in one match and also be entertained at the way survivors interacted with me as killer, and with each other while I was on the hunt.

    What about you?

    As long as the rank rewards are 1 mil I’m cool with it

  • @Mandy said:

    I think the biggest problem with that old system was that it put new players against very experienced players which was completely unfair and pretty horrid for the new player experience.

    Okay, but it is still happening in the new system.