So ugh... why are players allowed to play with such a ping?

Comments

  • That is how you play Jill properly.

  • I sometimes get into games with 1100 ping.

    I'm basically a time traveller/teleporter some days

  • @lauraa said:

    I sometimes get into games with 1100 ping.

    I'm basically a time traveller/teleporter some days

    bruh

  • @Shaped said:

    That is how you play Jill properly.

    I must say, I am intimidated

  • Looks like a lag switcher. Her ping was fine after she teleported the second time, plus she seemed to know what she was doing with the tbag.

  • @BenZ0 said:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVCEVV2R9U

    I gotta admit, I just got outplayed

    Meanwhile survivors telling you to "gET bEtTer INtERneT"

  • @Laluzi said:

    Looks like a lag switcher. Her ping was fine after she teleported the second time, plus she seemed to know what she was doing with the tbag.

    true about the tbag but lag switching isnt possible anymore, it works only if you are the "host" of a lobby which dbd doesnt use anymore. However there are other ways to do that, but its difficult.

  • @BenZ0 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2745485#Comment_2745485

    true about the tbag but lag switching isnt possible anymore, it works only if you are the "host" of a lobby which dbd doesnt use anymore. However there are other ways to do that, but its difficult.

    Are you sure it's not possible? Because every once in a while, I'll still get a survivor whose ping suddenly shoots through the goddamn roof every time I try to pick them up and returns to normal at any other point in the match.

  • @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2745498#Comment_2745498

    Are you sure it's not possible? Because every once in a while, I'll still get a survivor whose ping suddenly shoots through the goddamn roof every time I try to pick them up and returns to normal at any other point in the match.

    Ye thats a hack, I dont know too much about that but lag switching is connected to the host of the game. Back then before dedicated servers existed in dbd the Killer was always the host of the lobby, which means the survivors where connected to his connection. Lagswitching is basicly a program which decreases your bit rate of your connection with a "button" or "switch", it can be a literal switch in real life or you bind that to a key on your keyboard or mouse. Then you basicly press it and your ping goes through the roof, then you press it again and goes to normal.

    What you mean is something else but pretty simiular.

  • I think its in an effort to reduce queue times.

    Basically, a ######### game is better than no game.

  • @BenZ0 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2745485#Comment_2745485

    true about the tbag but lag switching isnt possible anymore, it works only if you are the "host" of a lobby which dbd doesnt use anymore. However there are other ways to do that, but its difficult.

    @Laluzi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2745498#Comment_2745498

    Are you sure it's not possible? Because every once in a while, I'll still get a survivor whose ping suddenly shoots through the goddamn roof every time I try to pick them up and returns to normal at any other point in the match.

    Lagswitching is still possible. Only it is not really possible to be exploited on the killer side anymore since they will get overruled on pretty much all of their hits at ridiculous latencies like that (thousands of milliseconds worth).

    Players can still abuse lagswitches on the survivor side, and this Jill was definitely doing it. What you are seeing here is Jill activating her lagswitch while she's on a gen, and then while running. What this does is that the server is not receiving info on her client state anymore for some time, and it will simply keep her in whatever state she was in last and continue that action like it normally would (extrapolation). So the Jill you are seeing repairing that gen and running in a straight line is a phantom, on her end she moved somewhere else entirely after activating the switch.

    As you can see, you still get the hit confirmed on her, but obviously this is still giving her an advantage. Lagswitches on the survivor side can also be abused to lock killers into animations.

    You were facing a cheater. Servers should just timeout players after more than a second of not receiving client info (or only partial info, because I'm pretty sure some of these people are also using things to limit bandwidth in order to induce latencies due to packet queueing). Currently I think it takes like 5 seconds of no info for the server to terminate the connection.

  • @zarr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2745498#Comment_2745498

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2745507#Comment_2745507

    Lagswitching is still possible. Only it is not really possible to be exploited on the killer side anymore since they will get overruled on pretty much all of their hits at ridiculous latencies like that (thousands of milliseconds worth).

    Players can still abuse lagswitches on the survivor side, and this Jill was definitely doing it. What you are seeing here is Jill activating her lagswitch while she's on a gen, and then while running. What this does is that the server is not receiving info on her client state anymore for some time, and it will simply keep her in whatever state she was in last and continue that action like it normally would (extrapolation). So the Jill you are seeing repairing that gen and running in a straight line is a phantom, on her end she moved somewhere else entirely after activating the switch.

    As you can see, you still get the hit confirmed on her, but obviously this is still giving her an advantage. Lagswitches on the survivor side can also be abused to lock killers into animations.

    You were facing a cheater. Servers should just timeout players after more than a second of not receiving client info (or only partial info, because I'm pretty sure some of these people are also using things to limit bandwidth in order to induce latencies due to packet queueing). Currently I think it takes like 5 seconds of no info for the server to terminate the connection.

    Ye exactly, I have been told it is different on the survivor side thats why I said that.

    Btw I just met her again a few min ago, again same thing, she was teleporting around. She tried to abuse that by lagswitching to hooked survivors and teleport away, I played smart and could even down her but sadly I was dumb enough to pick her up, I was stuck in a infinit animation and she wiggled off and then just teleported herself to the exit. I still got a 2k though even though they where playing with an literal hacker. She also wrote in the endgame chat so she is most likely on microsoft store or epic games.

    I wish BHVR would just ban ppl like that but well...

    I have that on record again so if you want I could upload it for you so you can take a look on the second game and confirm that.

  • @BenZ0 said:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVCEVV2R9U

    I gotta admit, I just got outplayed

    thats a hacker lol not ping

  • Her ping was around 56ms, you shouldnt expect lag until over 200ms. She was cheating, not to be confused with hacking which takes skill.

  • I love when you have green ping in the lobby and load into game with everyone ping being in several hundreds.

    Whatever they doing its not good

  • Nah that's just one of the new perks. It's called "Boon: You Thought"

  • @Kira4Evr said:

    Nah that's just one of the new perks. It's called "Boon: You Thought"

    So killers should just do Boons and this probably will solve itself. There are many anti totem builds for killer as there are for survivor, I suggest killers do some research on those to counter the entirely reasonable boons that take quite some time to set up and only a fraction of a second to snuff.

  • Ever since they launched the PTB, I couldn't get a single game without 1 Survivor having 60+ ping, and I'm on console, I can't even participate in the PTB

  • @BenZ0 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2745554#Comment_2745554

    Ye exactly, I have been told it is different on the survivor side thats why I said that.

    Btw I just met her again a few min ago, again same thing, she was teleporting around. She tried to abuse that by lagswitching to hooked survivors and teleport away, I played smart and could even down her but sadly I was dumb enough to pick her up, I was stuck in a infinit animation and she wiggled off and then just teleported herself to the exit. I still got a 2k though even though they where playing with an literal hacker. She also wrote in the endgame chat so she is most likely on microsoft store or epic games.

    I wish BHVR would just ban ppl like that but well...

    I have that on record again so if you want I could upload it for you so you can take a look on the second game and confirm that.

    I have seen (and faced) my share of lagswitchers, so I for one don't need confirmation. And mhm, they can make it impossible to pick them up or to hook them. You were lucky you didn't go for a grab while her phantom was on the gen, or you would have gotten stuck in that grab animation too.

    It's unfortunately not really possible to ban for this. Cheaters use means to manipulate their connections, but those same connection issues can arise without manipulation. Of course, the cheaters do so in controlled manners so as to actually be able to benefit from them, but differentiating whether it's an exploit or a genuine connection issue is difficult. Not impossible, but it would require advanced analytics and an overall effort that I don't think BHVR deems worthwhile given that it's thankfully still a rare occurrence to have people "laghack" like this. And there would still always be the risk of false positives, and obviously banning innocent players is something you absolutely don't want to do, not least because then you open an entire can of worms of needing an unbanning process, which is a lot of additional effort and something legitimate cheaters can also try and exploit.

    What they could do is make the server harsher in terminating bad connections. As I've said, lagswitches rely on inducing ridiculous amounts of latency, to the point of not sending much or any info for seconds at a time. Even if a player legitimately has a connection failure like that, booting them off the game is justified. Currently it takes like 5-10 seconds for a player to get booted off in a no-info case (I know this because my ISP resets my connection once a day at a set time, and sometimes it has happened that I was in a DbD match during that time, and depending on how much time it took to reconnect, sometimes I would stay on the server and sometimes I would get booted) - they could reduce that time to 1-2 seconds. And in other cases where players will limit their bandwidth so much that they cannot send complete client info and packet splitting and queueing occurs, the server never boots them off (this one I tested in custom matches) - the server should boot off players that experience low bandwidths like that for prolonged periods; game packets are small (the per-second network usage of online games is fractions of a megabyte), there aren't people anymore that actually have connections that bad (and if there were they shouldn't be playing online games to begin with).

  • This isn´t a ping issue but a hack.