If Status Icons go live, what Icons should be considered?

Repairing, Healing, and In Chase seem the most obvious ones, are there others you'd want to see?

Should something like Mending be distinct from Healing?

Comments

  • Besides those, totem interaction and gate opening.

    I think that’s all I would like.

  • Cleansing (both Hex totem, dull and Plague fountains)

    Blessing a Totem.

    Vaccinating against Nemesis

    Going for the save.

    A distinction between self-caring, healing with a med-kit, boon self-caring and being healed by someone else/healing someone else.

    Sabo'ing hooks.

    Opening Gates.

    Being camped.


    Just off the top of my head. I could probably come up with more.

  • Repairing, healing, in chase, totem bless/cleanse (this could be the same icon for both, I think), opening chests, exit gate opening, and unhooking would be my suggestions.

    Maybe some killer-specific ones, like for searching Jigsaw boxes and disarming bear traps?

  • One to say:

    Hey Jane, I’m one death hook and injured, you haven’t even been hit once this whole game, can you stop hiding behind a pillar and take a hit please?

  • An urban evading one

  • Whatever the indicators are, I hope killers can see them too.

  • Walk icon for general traveling.

    Run icon to know someone is possibly being chased or just generally leaving scratch marks.

    Generator icon for someone working gens.

    Crow icon for someone afk.

  • I think it should be kept as basic as possible to avoid confusion or new players having to learn a variety of icons. One for healing, one for working on gen, one for chase, and one for cleansing/blessing. I think for all of them it would be nice to have icon light up for when the person successfully finishes gen, heal, cleanse/bless.

  • @bm33 said:

    I think it should be kept as basic as possible to avoid confusion or new players having to learn a variety of icons. One for healing, one for working on gen, one for chase, and one for cleansing/blessing. I think for all of them it would be nice to have icon light up for when the person successfully finishes gen, heal, cleanse/bless.

    This is the way. It should be simple. Only one I would add to that is opening a gate.

  • teabagging icon so I know who to leave on the hook

  • Healing, Repairing, Totem, Chase, Locker, AFK Crows, Gates

  • I hope other things are added too such as being able to see the loadout of each survivor. Potentially in the lobby but certainly also in-game when the menu is open.

    Then I as a solo queue survivor will know whether its best for Bill to get the unhook as he has BT. I will know whether the survivor being tunneld off the hook needs help by seeing if they have DS or not, etc.

  • @Pepsidot said:

    I hope other things are added too such as being able to see the loadout of each survivor. Potentially in the lobby but certainly also in-game when the menu is open.

    Then I as a solo queue survivor will know whether its best for Bill to get the unhook as he has BT. I will know whether the survivor being tunneld off the hook needs help by seeing if they have DS or not, etc.

    Hmm, and it would act as a "pseudo" Ranked/Unranked, as Survivors that dodge because of other Survivors with meme/non-meta loadouts will start to self-filter themselves into lobbies with Meta builds.

    (And lobby-dodging could be used as a hidden metric with which to influence a Survivors MMR).

  • I'm going for the following prompts:

    Repairing; Totem; Healing; In-chase; Exit_Gate; Chest

    Basic comments. Being downed and hooked will just keep the icons presently used.

  • An icon of Jane's booty should be present every time a survivor t-bags.

  • @Pepsidot said:

    I hope other things are added too such as being able to see the loadout of each survivor. Potentially in the lobby but certainly also in-game when the menu is open.

    Then I as a solo queue survivor will know whether its best for Bill to get the unhook as he has BT. I will know whether the survivor being tunneld off the hook needs help by seeing if they have DS or not, etc.

    The load out would be so helpful.

  • @apathyinc said:

    Whatever the indicators are, I hope killers can see them too.

    They are designed in favor or solo que survivors for minimal information to help them see what their teammates are doing when they can't communicate. Who does the killer need to communicate with?

  • @Tr1nity said:

    One to say:

    Hey Jane, I’m one death hook and injured, you haven’t even been hit once this whole game, can you stop hiding behind a pillar and take a hit please?

    Not sure the devs would be okay with the middle finger as an icon.

  • @Jukenobi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2743051#Comment_2743051

    They are designed in favor or solo que survivors for minimal information to help them see what their teammates are doing when they can't communicate. Who does the killer need to communicate with?

    ... The Entity?

  • I sure do hope that killers in general get something value if the "in chase" is added.

    The "knowledge to repair generators without the need to pay attention is rather strong in my opinion.

  • @Jukenobi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2743051#Comment_2743051

    They are designed in favor or solo que survivors for minimal information to help them see what their teammates are doing when they can't communicate. Who does the killer need to communicate with?

    If they are giving out free information that players wouldn't organically know, I don't see the problem with killers seeing it too. It wouldn't be unfair, it helps the killer know where to focus without giving exact locations. A benefit for example is if a camping or proxy camping killer sees survivors with 3 gen working status, might give him incentive to leave and check gens. A direct buff to solo is a buff to SWF, and making every match SWF level would make the game miserable for killers because SWF is already too powerful.

  • @apathyinc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744558#Comment_2744558

    If they are giving out free information that players wouldn't organically know, I don't see the problem with killers seeing it too. It wouldn't be unfair, it helps the killer know where to focus without giving exact locations. A benefit for example is if a camping or proxy camping killer sees survivors with 3 gen working status, might give him incentive to leave and check gens. A direct buff to solo is a buff to SWF, and making every match SWF level would make the game miserable for killers because SWF is already too powerful.

    Killers can see every gen on the map, so we should also have that information or it's not fair. See what I did there?

  • @Jukenobi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744610#Comment_2744610

    Killers can see every gen on the map, so we should also have that information or it's not fair. See what I did there?

    There are survivor perks and items that give that exact information, but we aren't talking perks and items. They are talking about making a change to the foundation of the game. The foundation is not knowing exactly what everyone is doing and having to base your decision making on the information you have available. If they change that up, why not change it for killers too?

  • I'd like to see

    Healing

    Being Healed

    Self Healing

    In Terror Radius

    being chased

    doing gen

    doing a dull

    doing a hex


    edit: also killer specific action, so nemesis vaccines, pig boxes, box solving, fountain. ect.

  • @apathyinc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744622#Comment_2744622

    There are survivor perks and items that give that exact information, but we aren't talking perks and items. They are talking about making a change to the foundation of the game. The foundation is not knowing exactly what everyone is doing and having to base your decision making on the information you have available. If they change that up, why not change it for killers too?

    If they change that up, why not change it for survivors to? You get my base kit information, I get yours. Fair is fair, right?

  • @Jukenobi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744657#Comment_2744657

    If they change that up, why not change it for survivors to? You get my base kit information, I get yours. Fair is fair, right?

    What they are talking about adding isn't current base kit information but is obtainable with perks. The current game is pretty balanced for a team of solo survivors, with only a few perks and killers making it difficult. SWF is the problem and buffing solo is treating the symptom. If they nerfed SWF they would have to nerf what 4 killers? If they buff solo to SWF level they are going to have to buff what, 20+ killers? Giving killers the same status information would be that buff.

    If they want the game to be just a tag simulator and take all critical thinking aspects out of it then just go for it. Everyone could have all the same information and it's just a chase with a timer on, fun.

  • @apathyinc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744697#Comment_2744697

    What they are talking about adding isn't current base kit information but is obtainable with perks. The current game is pretty balanced for a team of solo survivors, with only a few perks and killers making it difficult. SWF is the problem and buffing solo is treating the symptom. If they nerfed SWF they would have to nerf what 4 killers? If they buff solo to SWF level they are going to have to buff what, 20+ killers? Giving killers the same status information would be that buff.

    If they want the game to be just a tag simulator and take all critical thinking aspects out of it then just go for it. Everyone could have all the same information and it's just a chase with a timer on, fun.

    Literally the only way to nerf SWF is prevent joining lobbies with friends.

    That will kill your game.

  • @Jukenobi said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744610#Comment_2744610

    Killers can see every gen on the map, so we should also have that information or it's not fair. See what I did there?

    I mean, why not? I wouldn't care, really.

  • @AnObserver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744726#Comment_2744726

    Literally the only way to nerf SWF is prevent joining lobbies with friends.

    That will kill your game.

    Come on, stop that rhetoric. There are plenty of ways to nerf SWF without killing the game.

  • @apathyinc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744738#Comment_2744738

    Come on, stop that rhetoric. There are plenty of ways to nerf SWF without killing the game.

    All of which rely on the unintuitive punishment of collaboration.

  • @apathyinc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744697#Comment_2744697

    What they are talking about adding isn't current base kit information but is obtainable with perks. The current game is pretty balanced for a team of solo survivors, with only a few perks and killers making it difficult. SWF is the problem and buffing solo is treating the symptom. If they nerfed SWF they would have to nerf what 4 killers? If they buff solo to SWF level they are going to have to buff what, 20+ killers? Giving killers the same status information would be that buff.

    If they want the game to be just a tag simulator and take all critical thinking aspects out of it then just go for it. Everyone could have all the same information and it's just a chase with a timer on, fun.

    SWF ruined the potential of this game, there's nothing we can do about it since they refuse to nerf SWF in any way, even just revealing them in the lobby is asking too much apparently.

  • They should keep it simple, so I would say:

    Cleansing, Chasing, Healing, Repairing

    and some neutral for running, or just no icon at all would work...

  • @Sludge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744726#Comment_2744726

    SWF ruined the potential of this game, there's nothing we can do about it since they refuse to nerf SWF in any way, even just revealing them in the lobby is asking too much apparently.

    @Sludge said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744726#Comment_2744726

    SWF ruined the potential of this game, there's nothing we can do about it since they refuse to nerf SWF in any way, even just revealing them in the lobby is asking too much apparently.

    To be fair, killers would dodge better than hit validated Dead Hard if they could see SWF. Instead, I think we should see it, but in 3 man and above, the Giga Chad killers (me) could get double the bloodpoints for disgracing the SWF. That way, people know what they are getting into, but have an incentive to not be a wittle baby.

  • @AnObserver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744745#Comment_2744745

    All of which rely on the unintuitive punishment of collaboration.

    Ok I'll humor you. You know how there are 3 tiers for every perk? How about doing away with those tiers naturally and only activating them only for a SWF? SWF would get the yellow or green perk depending on how many SWF members are in a match, but only solos would get the purple. And reverse it for killers, they only get the purple perks when facing SWFs.

    There, a nerf to SWF that doesn't punish collaboration. That's just one example, I'm sure a game designer getting paid to do this could come up with something better.

  • I'd like a status wheel so I tell my team I'm going for a save. I don't understand why BHVR thinks they can have it both ways with voice comms and a playable solo queue without giving players a way of intentionally communicating with teammates. Icons are a great idea, don't get me wrong, but they don't go far enough.

    I understand that the devs care way more about immersion and the first 50 hrs than we do, but players for the most part stop playing this as a horror game before long and start playing it as a pvp game.

  • @apathyinc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744751#Comment_2744751

    Ok I'll humor you. You know how there are 3 tiers for every perk? How about doing away with those tiers naturally and only activating them only for a SWF? SWF would get the yellow or green perk depending on how many SWF members are in a match, but only solos would get the purple. And reverse it for killers, they only get the purple perks when facing SWFs.

    There, a nerf to SWF that doesn't punish collaboration. That's just one example, I'm sure a game designer getting paid to do this could come up with something better.

    Congratulations you’ve created unnecessary Perk bloat for a passive system that seems more about rebalancing Grind than addressing the communication aspect of SWF that will generally have little impact and/or most Perks would need to be rebalanced such that their core stats differ meaningfully based on tier which would generate distinct SWF metas that need to also be balanced around potentially tripling the analysis effort needed for future balance passes.

  • @apathyinc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744751#Comment_2744751

    Ok I'll humor you. You know how there are 3 tiers for every perk? How about doing away with those tiers naturally and only activating them only for a SWF? SWF would get the yellow or green perk depending on how many SWF members are in a match, but only solos would get the purple. And reverse it for killers, they only get the purple perks when facing SWFs.

    There, a nerf to SWF that doesn't punish collaboration. That's just one example, I'm sure a game designer getting paid to do this could come up with something better.

    Not unless they buff the ever living hell out of Barbecue. I want the tier 1 to be 100% by default, 150% for tier 2 and the maximum is a double dose of chili, baby!

  • Being chased.

    Repairing.

    Healing.

    Breaking/Booning totem.

    Opening exit Gates.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I'd like a status wheel so I tell my team I'm going for a save. I don't understand why BHVR thinks they can have it both ways with voice comms and a playable solo queue without giving players a way of intentionally communicating with teammates. Icons are a great idea, don't get me wrong, but they don't go far enough.

    I understand that the devs care way more about immersion and the first 50 hrs than we do, but players for the most part stop playing this as a horror game before long and start playing it as a pvp game.

    That is an interesting discussion.

    I for one am always in favor of minimal UI’s. The problem of course is trying to include clarity and versatility in them.

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744762#Comment_2744762

    Not unless they buff the ever living hell out of Barbecue. I want the tier 1 to be 100% by default, 150% for tier 2 and the maximum is a double dose of chili, baby!

    LOL yes, there must be exceptions!

  • @AnObserver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744768#Comment_2744768

    That is an interesting discussion.

    I for one am always in favor of minimal UI’s. The problem of course is trying to include clarity and versatility in them.

    Obviously I'm not considering the development aspect, but in my head it would display alongside the icons on the survivor hud we have now. The wheel would toggle on and off with the D pad on controller or scroll wheel with mouse. And I'm sure there are a thousand coding things to consider with that though

  • @AnObserver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744762#Comment_2744762

    Congratulations you’ve created unnecessary Perk bloat for a passive system that seems more about rebalancing Grind than addressing the communication aspect of SWF that will generally have little impact and/or most Perks would need to be rebalanced such that their core stats differ meaningfully based on tier which would generate distinct SWF metas that need to also be balanced around potentially tripling the analysis effort needed for future balance passes.

    It's hard to make out what you are trying to communicate here, but it seems like any answer I give you would be met with panic and denial. What I suggested wouldn't be any more difficult to manage than what is out there now. It just comes down to SWF getting weaker perks.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744792#Comment_2744792

    Obviously I'm not considering the development aspect, but in my head it would display alongside the icons on the survivor hud we have now. The wheel would toggle on and off with the D pad on controller or scroll wheel with mouse. And I'm sure there are a thousand coding things to consider with that though

    I mean, not even coding, purely design:

    Take for example the existing "Emotes" in the game: Press a button to point or to beckon. Is it possible to only use those two existing inputs to develop a method of communication? Or does it require a whole Status selection wheel.

  • @apathyinc said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744781#Comment_2744781

    It's hard to make out what you are trying to communicate here, but it seems like any answer I give you would be met with panic and denial. What I suggested wouldn't be any more difficult to manage than what is out there now. It just comes down to SWF getting weaker perks.

    I suppose the feeling is mutual. I get panicked from flippant scope creep, and you get panicked from hearing "Survivor Buffs".

  • @AnObserver said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744849#Comment_2744849

    I mean, not even coding, purely design:

    Take for example the existing "Emotes" in the game: Press a button to point or to beckon. Is it possible to only use those two existing inputs to develop a method of communication? Or does it require a whole Status selection wheel.

    Maybe? Button bloat would become an issue on controller depending on how many options there were. Combining shoulder buttons could cause survivor to unintentionally break stealth

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744866#Comment_2744866

    Maybe? Button bloat would become an issue on controller depending on how many options there were. Combining shoulder buttons could cause survivor to unintentionally break stealth

    Indeed, so the first step is deciding on how these events should be triggered.

    Your suggestion is pressing a button to open a sort of dialogue wheel to select an action. (Press button, move stick to desired option)

    My Suggestion would be a single button press that gives a contextual status update (While doing action, press button to update status)

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    There needs to be an icon for every interaction in the game, within reason. Things like Mending, or Unlocking Chests/Supply Cases should be shown, but not things like Unhooking, for example.

    Should these states be shown automatically? Or should they be something that a User has to make a conscious decision to express?

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2744887#Comment_2744887

    The moment you begin Mending (probably should add a buffer to prevent screen icon flashing), the icon appears.

    So automatic status updates. Which removes the need to think about announcing your status to teammates, which is both a buff to SoloQ and SWF.

  • Probably unpopular opinion, I only want an indicator for survivors on gens and I want it to change on a couple seconds delay. Solo survivors shouldn't be able to work in perfect unison with an overabundance of information.

    I just want to see if people are on gens and if someone stops being on a gen to possibly go make a safe or being chased by killer.

  • @FixtionuL said:

    Probably unpopular opinion, I only want an indicator for survivors on gens and I want it to change on a couple seconds delay. Solo survivors shouldn't be able to work in perfect unison with an overabundance of information.

    I just want to see if people are on gens and if someone stops being on a gen to possibly go make a safe or being chased by killer.

    I would agree, and I would expand upon that to make it so that Survivors must provide information themselves.

    You can say "Polo", or ask "Marco?"

    That's it.

‹ 1 2