Dead Man's Switch + Pain Resonance, a new possible meta contender?
Keep in mind that this is about the new PTB 5.5.0, where Dead Man's Switch was buffed to activate by hooking any survivor. It is no longer limited to only the obsession.
I tried out this combo on Clown, it seemed really powerful. Gen explodes from Pain Resonance after hooking a survivor, and the gen gets blocked for 45 whole seconds. However, at the same time, it has counterplay, I think?
I haven't tried this out, but I think this is how it works. To counter the combo you'd have to let go of the gen before the killer hooks a survivor, and then once the killer hooks a survivor and it regresses or doesn't regress, then you can go back to repairing the generator. Avoid letting go of the gen, or it'll end up getting blocked.
I'm not too sure though, what do you guys think?
Comments
Pain Resonance only targets 1 gen and gens don't regress while being blocked. So while it is blocking a gen for 45 seconds after taking out a bit of progress, it's not going to be the end of the world. Then as you mention survivors will know DMS is on the killer and can let go of gens when they see the killer pick up the survivor to prevent the gen from being forced blocked.
It'll be good and likely see use, but it's not going to be OP.
What if we add thrilling tremors so the gen is blocked either way? Good or just redundant? Ruin potentially another option for similar reasons.
It wouldn't change much. Survivors are going to let go once they see the survivor has been picked up after thrilling tremors would have proc'd. There's no reason to stop working on a gen while the survivor is on the ground.
Ruin also wouldn't accomplish a lot. The gen will lose some progress, but it won't be a lot since killers don't take long to hook a survivor. And blocked gens don't regress so ruin wouldn't synergize with DMS.
Also this wouldn't matter with Thrilling and DMS, but blocked gens can't be blocked while they are already blocked. This can cause gen blocking perks like Thrilling and Dead Lock to sometimes not work well with each other.
i do think it's a really solid combo, but i think only casuals are gonna struggle against it a lot. like, i can see my team just falling for scourge deadman's bait every time.
i know I'll be looking out for it once i know it's in the game, so it's not gonna be HUGE (scourge is still really good even without the deadmans part) unless it's used on an artist, but again, it's just kinda casual/noobtrap that isn't something you can communicate very well with others.
This build will be the bane of solo queue players' existence. Most Survivors still don't understand to let go of the gen just before a hook to counter Pain Resonance. Now the gen will not only explode, but it'll get blocked too. Seems obnoxious.
On top of that, it encourages camping while the gens are blocked so... the more I think about it, the less I like this change.
There is 0.5sec when you can see aura of the survivor is about to be on hook. I focus at them everytime when I acknowledge killer has Resonance. So I can keep doing Gen when dying survivor is carried to hook.
But there is one thing: Fear monger will deny our ability for that slight 0.5sec aura info.
good honestly
perk variety is good, seeing pain resonance actually being used frequently is really nice to see esp given it's a scourge hook perk of all things
Oh damn I didn't even realize that. Fearmonger is already a solid perk tbh so adding that to the combo will be very... interesting. Ofc you can still counter it tho, by seeing if the survivor's bar is highlighted then they're likely getting picked up.
Officially DEAD now. I wanna puke!
Yeah, they killed it.
But to be fair, it was a bit much.
With that, I should run BBQ instead of Tinkerer to block gens with my Fake Teleport. On top I think Pain Resonance is not interesting anymore on my Freddy.
Not really, no. It could be played around. Well, except against Artist I guess.
Hardly.
DMS will still be an excellent perk. It just won't have the disgusting synergy with PR.
As much as I love PR - let's be fair, it was too strong and did too much.
Now PR will be part of a SH build, and DMS will be a good perk that becomes very good with any sustained mobility/disruption killer.
It could be, but generally wasn't. Survs are loathe to let go of their gens, and I would get the desired result at least 90% of the time I put someone on a scourge hook.