Hooked/ dying survivors shouldn’t reveal Ghostface

Frankly it’s absurd that a hooked or drying survivor can break Ghostface out of his power. You’ve won the chase, you should be rewarded for it, not punished

A hooked or downed survivor is temporarily out of action, they should be able to do nothing but crawl and recover until they’re rescued, not rob a killer of their entire power

Comments

  • I agree with @ImmersedNurse. Removing the ability to break-out Ghostface would just make slugging and camping that much easier. Plus, a hooked/slugged survivor breaking out Ghostface can easily be avoided by the Ghostface waiting a couple seconds until they have moved out of sight to use Night Shroud.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    I feel like this would just heavily promote slugging and camping. I think Ghostface needs some changes but I don't think this is the way to go.

    Other survivors could still break him out near the hook if he was camping so it wouldn’t be that much of an issue

    as for slugging, that’s just a valid strategy for the killer in general, same as body blocking and taking hits for survivors

    This proposed change would simply make him more of a threat and make him feel like a killer with an actual power against a group of survivors. SWF comms already destroy his stealth gameplay so it would be nice if he had some way to deal with them all grouped up or hovering around a hooked or dying survivor

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    I feel like this would just heavily promote slugging and camping. I think Ghostface needs some changes but I don't think this is the way to go.

    I mean, the game itself promotes slugging and camping. Not allowing hooked/downed survivors to reveal Ghostface wouldn't change that.

  • Great argument. It’s no wonder survivor queue times are getting longer and killers are quitting

    Killers should be powerful and every single one of them should feel like a threat, even to the most experienced SWF squad

  • Disagree, literally just don't stealth in front of them

  • I'm a killer main before someone says lazy survivor blah blah. I think this is one of the things that needs to stay. A dying state survivor and a hooked survivor still have their wits about them and can see the killer. That is the realistic reason and the game reason would be so the killer just can't lazily camp the hook. Find some cover.

    What should be fixed though is a survivor looking directly at ghostface in the middle of a freshly mowed field in the middle of the day and no uncloak him. I have been ghostface and thought to myself, they have been staring me down for 20 minutes and im still cloaked.

  • This is really easily countered by just not turning stealth back on until the hooked survivor doesn't have LoS on you anymore. Like I only ever had a problem with this in the very first game or two that I played Ghostface. Then I went "oh, okay, you turn stealth on after you've moved away from the hook" and it was never an issue again.

    I understand the argument against it, but I don't really mind it because the only thing it prevents is camping, which I have no especial desire to encourage. Besides, you can still do it, you just need to position yourself somewhere where the hooked player can't get you on the center of your screen.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727902#Comment_2727902

    Then fix the aspects of the game that promote slugging and camping, don't encourage it further.

    Slugging and camping aren't really problems, though. They're valid playstyles. Both with plenty of counters.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727915#Comment_2727915

    Valid given the current circumstances? Yes.

    Unfun and unhealthy in the long term? Also yes.

    I mean, that's purely subjective. It's only unhealthy because people take the game too seriously and have this inner entitlement that they are somehow "owed" a fun game, or a chance to escape.

    It's like when killers get mad at survivors for splitting on gens. It's dumb, and so is whining about camping. Same with slugging.

    You can not dictate playstyles. That's how a game dies. The biggest issue in DBD isn't camping, slugging, balance, or anything like that. It's players who whine about inconsequential things that are part of the game. Play it for what it is or hop back to Minecraft on peaceful mode.

  • As long they are still in the match, they will reveal you and it should stay like this. Being hooked or in dying state doesn't mean they are out of game.

  • @steamed_hamzzz said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727894#Comment_2727894

    Great argument. It’s no wonder survivor queue times are getting longer and killers are quitting

    Killers should be powerful and every single one of them should feel like a threat, even to the most experienced SWF squad

    i love the queue time argument because it's so completely subjective and depends entirely on when you actually play. i have video proof of me sitting through an entire round of bloons td6 on hard while waiting for a game as someone i'm very meh with so mmr is likely to be near middle while a survivor queue right after is, like, instant.

  • I'm a ghostie main and I disagree. Theres already too much of an issue with camping. You can get creative and make sure you aren't revealed if you're careful and dedicated to camping but frankly its worthless to Camp anyway— a smart team will just do gens and you lose valuable time.

    I think he needs a buff, for sure, but I dont think that's the solution.

  • @JimbusCrimbus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727921#Comment_2727921

    I mean, that's purely subjective. It's only unhealthy because people take the game too seriously and have this inner entitlement that they are somehow "owed" a fun game, or a chance to escape.

    It's like when killers get mad at survivors for splitting on gens. It's dumb, and so is whining about camping. Same with slugging.

    You can not dictate playstyles. That's how a game dies. The biggest issue in DBD isn't camping, slugging, balance, or anything like that. It's players who whine about inconsequential things that are part of the game. Play it for what it is or hop back to Minecraft on peaceful mode.

    This argument is invalid - the point of a game is to have fun. That's what they're made for.

    You don't buy a game to hate it and never want to play, you buy it to enjoy it and have a good time.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727929#Comment_2727929

    What's the point of a game if it isn't fun?

    Of COURSE people are going to expect a fun match. It's a video game. Having fun is the WHOLE point.

    Getting facecamped on your first hook is just objectively not an entertaining or engaging experience. I agree that you can't stop people doing it per se. But that doesn't mean it should be actively encouraged.

    What will kill the game is actively encouraging players to go out of their way to ruin the opposing team's fun.

    Fun is subjective. If they removed everything everyone thought was unfun, there's a lot that wouldn't exist.

    • Huntress
    • Dead Hard
    • Trickster
    • Ruin
    • All Other Exhaustion Perks
    • Bubba
    • Unbreakable
    • DS

    I could go on. Fun is subjective. Why does your fun take precedence over someone else's?

  • @YuisPinkBob said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727929#Comment_2727929

    This argument is invalid - the point of a game is to have fun. That's what they're made for.

    You don't buy a game to hate it and never want to play, you buy it to enjoy it and have a good time.

    "I don't agree. Argument invalid."

    You've entered the "I have no argument" phase. Let the grown ups speak if you're just here to invalidate.

  • @JimbusCrimbus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727951#Comment_2727951

    "I don't agree. Argument invalid."

    You've entered the "I have no argument" phase. Let the grown ups speak if you're just here to invalidate.

    The argument is invalid. You're literally saying that you shouldn't expect to have fun while playing a video game. Like where's the logic? Because I'm not seeing any.

  • @YuisPinkBob said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727956#Comment_2727956

    The argument is invalid. You're literally saying that you shouldn't expect to have fun while playing a video game. Like where's the logic? Because I'm not seeing any.

    Where's the logic? What about the killer who might get a kick out of the camping playstyle? Or the slugging playstyle? That's supposed to be removed because some survivors don't find it fun? Because survivors babyrage over it like you? Why is your fun more important?

    Your entitlement is showing.

    I feel like I'm the only one who finds it hilarious when I get camped. OOF. Then again, apparently I'm the only one with the inside scoop that...wait for it...this is a video game. Not real life. :D

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727953#Comment_2727953

    Fun is subjective, but there is something called consensus. I think the majority would agree that camping and slugging are not fun or engaging strategies - just look at the responses in this thread alone. And that's not mentioning the fact that many of the killers who use those strategies do so out of necessity, not want.

    The developers should do what is best for the majority of players. Catering to a minority who seek to ruin the other team's fun is a terrible idea for longegevity of a game lol.

    Unfortunately, when it comes to a community so entitled as the DBD community, their consensus means absolutely nothing. Even the devs know that, which is why they don't listen. If they listened to the community, the game would be even more broken than it already is.

    EVERYONES fun should be considered. Not just a majority, which just happens to be survivors.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727956#Comment_2727956

    "Let the grown ups speak" 😭

    This is a public forum. If you're just going to respond with passive-aggressive comments when someone raises a counter to your point then why bother commenting in the first place?

    I'd rather seem passive aggressive than take a video game so seriously that I think my fun is worth more than others. It's a far worse look than passive aggressive statements.

  • @JimbusCrimbus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727961#Comment_2727961

    Where's the logic? What about the killer who might get a kick out of the camping playstyle? Or the slugging playstyle? That's supposed to be removed because some survivors don't find it fun? Because survivors babyrage over it like you? Why is your fun more important?

    Your entitlement is showing.

    I feel like I'm the only one who finds it hilarious when I get camped. OOF. Then again, apparently I'm the only one with the inside scoop that...wait for it...this is a video game. Not real life. :D

    Something being briefly funny, and something being fun overall are two very different things. Like yeah, you can laugh it off but at the end of the day you now get to sit on a hook and do nothing until you die. There's nothing fun in that. Especially if queue times are long and you had to wait ages for a match just to get to do nothing.

    As for those who camp and slug as their 'playstyle', they're not going to get kicked from the game. It has been a present since the start and I don't see it going away anytime soon. If people want to camp and slug, they will find a way, as they always have.

    What I have also found with those who camp and slug is that they don't do it for the reward, because it tends to be not that rewarding. They do it to ruin another person's fun, or to take out their grievances from a past match on a new set of survivors, and if ruining someone's fun is your idea of fun, well then you're just not a very nice person.

  • @drpynz said:

    I'm a killer main before someone says lazy survivor blah blah. I think this is one of the things that needs to stay. A dying state survivor and a hooked survivor still have their wits about them and can see the killer. That is the realistic reason and the game reason would be so the killer just can't lazily camp the hook. Find some cover.

    What should be fixed though is a survivor looking directly at ghostface in the middle of a freshly mowed field in the middle of the day and no uncloak him. I have been ghostface and thought to myself, they have been staring me down for 20 minutes and im still cloaked.

    Agreed, reveal mechanic is definitely a bit wonky with what does/doesn't reveal him. I've stared directly at a Ghostface with nothing in the way and not uncloaked him but will be hiding behind a rock with only corner of my screen showing environment and I'll hear the sound of me revealing him. Makes no sense.

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2728005#Comment_2728005

    Literally.

    We're not saying ban campers from the game or anything drastic. Just that the developers shouldn't incentivise it further. Idk why that's such a controversial opinion.

    Too out there I guess. It's not like most people would agree or anything...

  • @OnryosTapeRentals said:

    I feel like this would just heavily promote slugging and camping. I think Ghostface needs some changes but I don't think this is the way to go.

    Yeah I agree. I understand the pain and have thought this too, but I also know Ghost Face's power was designed around hiding and stalking in your hiding spots. He wasn't designed to be a killer using his power out in the open. However I will say that I think you shouldn't be able to reveal ghost face if he doesn't have the ability to see you from his location. I'm not entirely sure if that would be difficult to code and is a bad idea, but I think it would stop those annoying times where a survivor hides behind a wall or generator, Ghost Face can't see you, but you can reveal him.

    If Ghost Face can stalk you, you should be able to reveal him. If Ghost Face doesn't have the ability to stalk you, you shouldn't be able to reveal him. (Under assumptions he is looking in your direction, not like "Oh he decided to turn around now you can't reveal him")

  • @JimbusCrimbus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2727912#Comment_2727912

    Slugging and camping aren't really problems, though. They're valid playstyles. Both with plenty of counters.

    Just because something's a valid playstyle doesn't mean it should be encouraged. The ideal game is one that has interaction on both sides because it consistently allows for the most fun on both sides; the necessity or overly high benefit of strategies that deny interaction and prevent a player from playing is a deeper problem to be addressed, not something that BHVR wants to happen more often. That kind of thing is bad for player retention and general game enjoyment - people don't like being camped to death any more than people like having 5 gens done 4-5 minutes into the game, so it stands to reason that the developers should want to make them less attractive, not more.