Is an Oni (who isn't brand new) in his power unloopable?
Oni is my least favourite killer to go against, and on NA East he's kind of a popular pick so I see him often in my experience at least. I've tried looking up guides/tutorials or whatever and nothing reasonable seems to help for looping an Oni in his power unless he's brand new.
Stuff I've heard about/tried:
- corner teching
- tree hugging
- dead harding at them when you anticipate they're about to swing
- L&T walls
- trying to 360
Probably others but can't think of them right now. There are some jungle gyms that make it hard to use his power in but pretty much always when I'm against an Oni it's in less desirable positions and it's not like I have the luxury to get there in chase either because I'm one shot, many times healthy when I get downed.
The only thing I've found that kind of helps is L&T walls but again, can't really pick where you go when he pops a power when you're in his sight and can get to you from afar pretty quickly. Also 360ing doesn't really work that well, especially going against PC Oni's who can do 180 flicks (which also makes trying to turn corners/corner teching not that easy either)
I've not really found any advice so far. Watching tournament players go against Oni, all I see them do is try to starve an Oni out of his power as much as possible and make him into an M1 only killer. You can do the same thing against Plague but from my observation the power of Plague versus Oni seems a lot less intimidating in comparison which is why I don't really see people trying to make Plague M1 only/as much as possible compared to going against an Oni, which gives me the impression his power isn't really loopable unless you just so happen to be on a pallet-heavy map where you can just chuck pallets back to back, like The Game.
Comments
He is hard to loop in his power but not impossible. It’s pretty much a billy with more control so looping tight loops with sharp corners is your best bet. Plays you can stealth out his blood fury if he uses it without a survivor in his sight
That's my go to method generally since in solo queue his power is unavoidable and when he sees you you pretty much have only what's within like 20 metres of you (or less) to work with
But I was thinking there's no way he's practically impossible to loop, especially with good add ons and/or some amount of game sense. Of course if you are on a pallet heavy map you can just chuck pallets but you don't really get to go where you want against an Oni in his power since you only take one hit and not two
Definitely not impossible, but very reliant on your positioning when you get seen. If you're in a dead zone then no, you're dead on sight. If you're near several tiles you can easily chain together, or somewhere you can break LOS, or somewhere with lots of sharp corners forcing him to not Demon Dash your way, then he definitely can be played around.
It's a matter of where you are when you're seen, which can be alleviated by good game sense letting you know when you're most likely to get chased and moving into place accordingly.
Of course, vs an Oni in his power, the best thing you can do is not be found at all.
A lot of good oni players can flick in a 180 degree angle easily with a high dpi setting. Treat this the way you would dodge an old j flick from a blight by running around the loop/ T and L wall and just as he’s about to 180 you with that flick commit to a 90 degree turn in a straight line opposite of the wall after coming around as he’s basically locked in with minimum correction and will literally miss you. I’ve done this to the streamer Lipy who’s a cracked oni main many times. It doesn’t always work though and people seem to forget that oni arguably has the strongest power in the game which is why it comes in waves rather then constant.
That's the thing that sucks that I realised but was hoping there was some solution. Of course when I hear him in power I'm cautious but stealthing is so ######### boring. And when he's approaching you, you basically have to work with whatever is within a 20 metre radius of you or less, which while good positioning is generally something to want to do at all times, it's often times where gens aren't and gens need to get done.
Breaking LOS definitely has helped but many maps are open as hell so there's not really much to do
So seems like there's no looping an Oni in almost all cases and rather just stealthing. How disappointing lol
I'm on NA east and tend to get a lot of spirits.
Well its one of the Yamaokas I guess.
That's what sucks about going against Oni in solo queue; regardless of whether or not you know how to play against him, you'll always get teammates who don't and will feed him his power.
The 180 flick doesn't help either.
It's always felt like unless the Oni is brand new, that you really are defenceless against an Oni and that's always sucked.
Depends if the Oni player is playing on console or PC. If he's on PC, good luck. If he's on console, it's a 1v1v1. You vs the Oni vs console sensitivity
Don't for get about auto aim wanting to hit everything but survivors on console. I feel like its worst in blood fury I've made some crazy swing when I know I didn't turn the sticks left or right.
We never forget about the auto aim
All of the suggestions you received work against him.
Not impossible. Oni suffers a lot on common loops to be honest. It's a bit like huntress, Greed the pallet and he has a good chance of not hitting his power attack if you hug the loop tightly. Keep in mind the player has a different mindset on actual tournament. They're not gonna greed crap in that when money is at stake. Maybe if you're really confident but you're better off playing it safe you're in a tournmanent and Oni is a Snowball killer after all. Don't hand him that luxury.
depends as someone who plays alot of oni i find the power to be loopable but only if im going for stupid flicks and then you basically play like a flick billy and go wide and or tight but realistically onis power is the strongest in the game and pretty unloopable
there's a lot of 50/50, which is technically very balanced. it's extremely hard though. looping him well is stupidly satisfying but it's also really awful feeling when an oni downs you in 2 seconds. but yeah, i'd say he's loopable and balanced despite his power being very very strong.