I've officially reached the point where I want the old rank system back

I don't care how bad or inaccurate it could be, it still worked better than this. I have played five killer matches today and in only one of them was I adequately matched and that was because it was an instadown killer. An M1 killer would have been screwed. I can't take it anymore. I genuinely see why no one wants to play killer. Can't play for fun or get out of ash rank if I wanted too because every game is just a whole bunch of SWF groups who stomp the ######### ######### out of me before I get a chance to even make a ######### impact on the game. This is by far the least amount of fun I have ever had playing this goddamn game.

Comments

  • @Crazewtboy said:

    I don't care how bad or inaccurate it could be, it still worked better than this. I have played five killer matches today and in only one of them was I adequately matched and that was because it was an instadown killer. An M1 killer would have been screwed. I can't take it anymore. I genuinely see why no one wants to play killer. Can't play for fun or get out of ash rank if I wanted too because every game is just a whole bunch of SWF groups who stomp the ######### ######### out of me before I get a chance to even make a ######### impact on the game. This is by far the least amount of fun I have ever had playing this goddamn game.

    im gonna be honest dude if you cant even get out of ash rank i dont think its the game

  • @Zachcjjj said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/296399/ive-officially-reached-the-point-where-i-want-the-old-rank-system-back

    im gonna be honest dude if you cant even get out of ash rank i dont think its the game

    Agreed.

    I mean...I'm nowhere near a good killer and am infinitely worse as survivor, but that just sounds like hyperbole. I can reach Gold with survivor and sometimes Iri with killer.

  • The best part about the old ranking system was the randomness. You never knew what kind of survivors or killers you were going to get, which made it more fun.

  • @Aurelle said:

    The best part about the old ranking system was the randomness. You never knew what kind of survivors or killers you were going to get, which made it more fun.

    Maybe that would be true for high MMR folks.

    This made it an absolute nightmare for those of us who are still very much learning. The current system feels...better. So much better.

    It's no fun to get matched against people with 30x your hours played and get stomped so hard that you barely learn anything besides 'how many teabags can one survivor get away with before they just leave'.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660274#Comment_2660274

    Interesting.

    Which game? Is it one of those on your Twich?

    I really want to check this out (preferably without trawling through dozens of hours of video) - timestamps would be appreciated.

    I've come across one overt killer since I came back 3 months or so ago and I've seen maybe 2 others in perhaps 100 hours of streaming content.

    i can give you multiple clips, Vods might've already been deleted after awhile,

  • I don't think the old system will make the gen rush meta any better tbh... it's almost like everyone started gen rushing immediately after Behavior said escaping is the way to win the game. I think by now most people realize that they don't need to interact with the killer at all to win, and that's a problem with the game itself.

    So it would need some balance changes that directly impact gen rushing -- but NOT by adding more gen crush perks to the game. Some perks obviouly need to be team-dependent, and possibly even items. So no more cookie cutter, copy/paste meta builds across the team, and no more toolbox/flashlight/medkit stacking.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660378#Comment_2660378

    Maybe that would be true for high MMR folks.

    This made it an absolute nightmare for those of us who are still very much learning. The current system feels...better. So much better.

    It's no fun to get matched against people with 30x your hours played and get stomped so hard that you barely learn anything besides 'how many teabags can one survivor get away with before they just leave'.

    I feel like a lot of your posts on this topic boil down to "my anecdote vs your anecdote", and deciding that everyone whose opinion on it is different is high MMR looking for stomps.

    But... the thing is, the experience you describe no longer getting is the one I keep seeing, so I'm not sure MMR has been the amazing panacea you're claiming.

    And a simplistic MMR system that ignores most of your gameplay isn't going to promote a fun and exciting experience unless most of that gameplay is necessary to MMR. Which it isn't, so you're still going to unintentionally filter out every other scoring category in the game.

  • Playing Killer has indeed been miserable. Between SBMM, the plethora of nerfs being applied to Killers, and the tried and true SWF with tool boxes, BNP, prove thyself, and the myriad of second chance perks, I feel more like an AI bot in that I'm just there for the survivors' amusement.

    If you are indeed having fun then more power to you, but you have to understand that you are in the minority. There are far less people playing Killer than ever before. I'm getting instant Killer matches at times during the day when it would typically take me easily 5-10 minutes (or more) to find a match, and that's not a good thing.

  • @Verconissp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660293#Comment_2660293

    i can give you multiple clips, Vods might've already been deleted after awhile,

    I'd have to see those clips in context, because timeline is going to be key here. But sure, maybe do a montage and upload it somewhere.

    @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660383#Comment_2660383

    I feel like a lot of your posts on this topic boil down to "my anecdote vs your anecdote", and deciding that everyone whose opinion on it is different is high MMR looking for stomps.

    But... the thing is, the experience you describe no longer getting is the one I keep seeing, so I'm not sure MMR has been the amazing panacea you're claiming.

    And a simplistic MMR system that ignores most of your gameplay isn't going to promote a fun and exciting experience unless most of that gameplay is necessary to MMR. Which it isn't, so you're still going to unintentionally filter out every other scoring category in the game.

    No, just the guy who basically said 'I don't care about having fun, I just want to kill people'.

    I'm sure that plenty of high MMR folks aren't deliberately trying to stomp (although boy were a lot of people smurfing back then...) - but again, those '100 win streak' videos do come at the expense of a lot of stomps.

    It's just no fun to be constantly put up against people so much better than you that not only do you not have a chance to win, but you can't even really learn anything.

    Do you play survivor or killer mostly?

    If killer...I'm honestly not sure what to say. Survivor - yes, I totally agree that the system needs to be improved for survivor. But there's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Someone earlier came up with the idea of tying emblems into survivor MMR gains - and that seems like a pretty smart way to go about it.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660394#Comment_2660394

    I'd have to see those clips in context, because timeline is going to be key here. But sure, maybe do a montage and upload it somewhere.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660398#Comment_2660398

    No, just the guy who basically said 'I don't care about having fun, I just want to kill people'.

    I'm sure that plenty of high MMR folks aren't deliberately trying to stomp (although boy were a lot of people smurfing back then...) - but again, those '100 win streak' videos do come at the expense of a lot of stomps.

    It's just no fun to be constantly put up against people so much better than you that you not only do you not have a chance to win, but you can't even really learn anything.

    Do you play survivor or killer mostly?

    If killer...I'm honestly not sure what to say. Survivor - yes, I totally agree that the system needs to be improved for survivor. But there's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Someone earlier came up with the idea of tying emblems into survivor MMR gains - and that seems like a pretty smart way to go about it.

    I have absolutely zero interest in touching survivor; it's just the wrong sort of gameplay to me.

    The current killer MMR side does not care about closeness. It does not care about methodology. It does not care about soft skills. If I have what is presumably an evenly-balanced game with appropriate MMR, but I get 8 hooks and 0 kills, my MMR goes down and I'm more likely to get a trivial one. If I have a horribly one-sided game where I don't do much of anything on a new killer, but one person slips up in EGC and everyone leaves them to die, my MMR goes down less. If multiple people throw in that scenario, my MMR goes up and I'm more likely to get a difficult game despite having just had a terrible one.

    And you don't want two MMR systems prioritising totally different things. That's just asking for bizarre interactions where somehow both sides gain MMR, or both sides lose it.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660402#Comment_2660402

    I have absolutely zero interest in touching survivor; it's just the wrong sort of gameplay to me.

    The current killer MMR side does not care about closeness. It does not care about methodology. It does not care about soft skills. If I have what is presumably an evenly-balanced game with appropriate MMR, but I get 8 hooks and 0 kills, my MMR goes down and I'm more likely to get a trivial one. If I have a horribly one-sided game where I don't do much of anything on a new killer, but one person slips up in EGC and everyone leaves them to die, my MMR goes down less. If multiple people throw in that scenario, my MMR goes up and I'm more likely to get a difficult game despite having just had a terrible one.

    And you don't want two MMR systems prioritising totally different things. That's just asking for bizarre interactions where somehow both sides gain MMR, or both sides lose it.

    I think that it's a bit different for survivors, as losing MMR can feel like it's punishing you with worse teammates. I agree - it's tricky.

    As I was saying in the other thread, there has to be some sort of compromise position here. I'd certainly quit the second ranks came back, but I don't want the high MMR types to leave in frustration either. I'm not sure how much of it is psychology, where 'fairer' games are less fun for folks, or if MMR is just really jank at some brackets/times - and I don't have the metrics.

    All I can speak to is my own experience, and a bit of inference from the various streams and discussions I've seen.

  • The old system was way better in my opinion.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660414#Comment_2660414

    I think that it's a bit different for survivors, as losing MMR can feel like it's punishing you with worse teammates. I agree - it's tricky.

    As I was saying in the other thread, there has to be some sort of compromise position here. I'd certainly quit the second ranks came back, but I don't want the high MMR types to leave in frustration either. I'm not sure how much of it is psychology, where 'fairer' games are less fun for folks, or if MMR is just really jank at some brackets/times - and I don't have the metrics.

    All I can speak to is my own experience, and a bit of inference from the various streams and discussions I've seen.

    See, ranks obviously have the elements of an MMR system, they just weren't particularly stringent about it. But it means that all the things that should ostensibly be factored into a deep, comprehensive rating system are already tracked and logged during a game. It's just... all been thrown out and replaced with a binary one.

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660420#Comment_2660420

    See, ranks obviously have the elements of an MMR system, they just weren't particularly stringent about it. But it means that all the things that should ostensibly be factored into a deep, comprehensive rating system are already tracked and logged during a game. It's just... all been thrown out and replaced with a binary one.

    And that should probably change. A more nuanced MMR system, done right - that I'd be up for.

    I found that my rank as killer inflated really fast, which could be frustrating - a sentiment that a lot of other people on social media at the time seemed to share, hence a lot of deranking, which really made all the problems worse.

    Again, there has to be a compromise position here. I just don't think the answer is going to be 'bring back ranks'.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660440#Comment_2660440

    And that should probably change. A more nuanced MMR system, done right - that I'd be up for.

    I found that my rank as killer inflated really fast, which could be frustrating - a sentiment that a lot of other people on social media at the time seemed to share, hence a lot of deranking, which really made all the problems worse.

    Again, there has to be a compromise position here. I just don't think the answer is going to be 'bring back ranks'.

    I haven't specifically said bring back ranks, though; just that I don't think MMR is avoiding all of the problems with lopsided games, on top of having all of its own problems. And that it seems an unfair assumption to assume that everyone that doesn't like it must want to play Noobstomper 2021.

  • @StarLost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660394#Comment_2660394

    I'd have to see those clips in context, because timeline is going to be key here. But sure, maybe do a montage and upload it somewhere.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660398#Comment_2660398

    No, just the guy who basically said 'I don't care about having fun, I just want to kill people'.

    I'm sure that plenty of high MMR folks aren't deliberately trying to stomp (although boy were a lot of people smurfing back then...) - but again, those '100 win streak' videos do come at the expense of a lot of stomps.

    It's just no fun to be constantly put up against people so much better than you that you not only do you not have a chance to win, but you can't even really learn anything.

    Do you play survivor or killer mostly?

    If killer...I'm honestly not sure what to say. Survivor - yes, I totally agree that the system needs to be improved for survivor. But there's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Someone earlier came up with the idea of tying emblems into survivor MMR gains - and that seems like a pretty smart way to go about it.

    Only got two clips atm for This month, i'll post it here..

    https://www.twitch.tv/verconn/clip/StupidMoldyTildeRiPepperonis-YCCmGdNTcyFeUncz This was on the game, the Feng was a subtle speed hacker and had Esp... by the time i finally downed her, she insta leaves the whole game... Glorious,

    https://www.twitch.tv/verconn/clip/CoweringEnchantingMoonYouWHY-yEwK-ldBxw4Utkzh i dunno if i should context this.. the clip just speaks for itself,

  • @RainehDaze said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660447#Comment_2660447

    I haven't specifically said bring back ranks, though; just that I don't think MMR is avoiding all of the problems with lopsided games, on top of having all of its own problems. And that it seems an unfair assumption to assume that everyone that doesn't like it must want to play Noobstomper 2021.

    That's not an assumption I (or honestly anyone I've seen) has made.

    I do think there are some that do miss that.

    I think that others are simply used to much easier opponents, which allowed them 'less sweaty' games, more room to make builds and the game's imbalances to be less evident.

    It's unfortunate.

    @Verconissp said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2660402#Comment_2660402

    Only got two clips atm for This month, i'll post it here..

    https://www.twitch.tv/verconn/clip/StupidMoldyTildeRiPepperonis-YCCmGdNTcyFeUncz This was on the game, the Feng was a subtle speed hacker and had Esp... by the time i finally downed her, she insta leaves the whole game... Glorious,

    https://www.twitch.tv/verconn/clip/CoweringEnchantingMoonYouWHY-yEwK-ldBxw4Utkzh i dunno if i should context this.. the clip just speaks for itself,

    Thanks. I'll give these a look in the morning. Genuinely curious.

  • Ever since mmr was put in teammates act way more selfish and less team playing

  • @Crazewtboy said:

    I don't care how bad or inaccurate it could be, it still worked better than this. I have played five killer matches today and in only one of them was I adequately matched and that was because it was an instadown killer. An M1 killer would have been screwed. I can't take it anymore. I genuinely see why no one wants to play killer. Can't play for fun or get out of ash rank if I wanted too because every game is just a whole bunch of SWF groups who stomp the ######### ######### out of me before I get a chance to even make a ######### impact on the game. This is by far the least amount of fun I have ever had playing this goddamn game.

    The MMR system doesn't work for killer because killers gain MMR at a much faster rate than survivors do. So most killers are going to be at or near high MMR where as survivors aren't. This was similar in the ranking system, where getting a pip was far easier on killer than it was survivor.

1 2 ›