Anyone Else Feeling Like Taking A Hiatus Right Now? (Another Rant Thread)
So, I started DbD just over a year ago - shortly before the Blight patch, if I recall. Loved the concept, got into it in a big way.
Watched videos, read guides and started doing decently. Sunk almost 100 hours in before I knew it.
Then BHVR removed killer matchmaking and after a week of being hammered flat and gloated at by SWF groups with thousands of more hours than me in the game, I quit.
Came back just after MMR was introduced and fell in love again. Most of my matches felt even, whether I got a 1k or a 4k. I didn't have to go balls-to-the-wall every game, because I'd find an MMR spot where my style and proclivities (I tend to be an overly nice killer) would work, and I'd still kill 2, occasionally 3.
Then...this patch.
Woof.
- Buggy, brutally overpowered boon totems that you can't cleanse.
- DC penalty removed, so every match I'm not getting rolled, I'm having at least 1 person DC the second I down them.
- Either matchmaking was disabled, or broken entirely. There is no reason that I, as a sub-200 hour player should be going up against 3man SWF groups with thousands of hours between them 5 or 6 times in a row, who inevitably stomp me flat and teabag me all the way to the gates. I don't think I've suffered as many 3 and 4 outs in a row as I have over the last two days. You'd think that MMR would help but...nope. Just a miserable experience.
- From above, prepatch I could goof off a little, bring some odd perks and addons, maybe try to learn a new killer or two. I now have to pick meta perks and play ultra sweaty - camping, slugging, the whole shebang, just to get 1 or 2 kills. Something really isn't right here.
- Far too many games where 2 gens are done before a minute has passed, and I've had several where 3 or 4 get done before I even have my first chase.
- RPD makes Haddonfield feel like...well, still bad, but way better than RPD. And more than half my games today were in this sodding hellhole.
- Not a game goes by now where I don't wonder if someone is hacking. Seriously, I'm seeing so many SWF groups with legacy skins at my (certainly) terrible MMR that I'm wondering if they are hacking their MMR too.
- Wraith and Slinger gutted, despite being mid-tier at best. Wraith feels almost as bad as he did pre-rework.
- Endless other petty gripes that are easy to ignore when you are having fun, but sort of gang up on you when you are already frustrated.
All in all, this game has gone from being a fun adrenaline rush to a frustrating experience that makes me want to eat a kitten sundae.
Probably going to take a week or so off (my guess is that BHVR will extend the Halloween event, with the state of the game right now I can't imagine them not doing so) and see how things lie when I return.
At least the new PoE season just started, which will likely be better for my blood-pressure at least.
Comments
LOL.... I've tried the Youtube thing
But my internet wasn't up to snuff
My best advice for you is to expand your horizons. The town you live in, isn't the one you gotta die In. Find a new place with new opportunities. I understand with no money that's hard, but a wing and a prayer go a long way. Find out what YOU wanna do and worry about everyone else later. Money comes money goes, but life goes on friend. Evaluate what you can do and go from there.
I'll keep it 100, I'm likely taking a month break after halloween is over. Most of the killers I enjoy using are average to low tier (Myers main) and its just becoming less and less fun. Couple that with mmr and the annoyance of boon totems and the meh halloween event I think a break is much needed
Yea... but it seems like the place I live in tends to suck to soul out of people... LOL
Don't continue down the path to Insanity like what i'm doin'
QUIT WHILE YOU CAN
Eh, I've been here for 3, nearly 4 years.
Save yer mind.
...or what's left of it,
I play a killer a lot and it depends on your Killer and perks.
Blight with Ruin + Tinkerer? Yeah gl with that.
Oni without those perks? Yeah, it's normal to get first downs on 3 gens left.
But since that event, I have seen 4x Brand New Part way more often, so even Ruin didn't save me, just because I didn't even have time to get there. I am not saying you can't lose gens fast during normal games, but I see it way more often now.
Oh yeah, 3k hours of this game kinda makes you passionate on some cases. And I agree that BHVR as a company is lacking, but I cannot blame the devs for that. Heck, I cant even blame people like Mathieu Cote for that, even though they are DBD's "higher ups". It's the BHVR higher ups that are the problem here, as they control the budget, they control who gets hired and they control what is aquired by the company. BHVR the company prides themselves into being a small company having a big game, even though their income matches that of some of the biggest companies. They have the income to expand their workforce and even purchase servers that simulate the game(that way, you could download a game after it's been played because it saves the simulation inputs, meaning if there is a hacker, you can send the report with the replay so you dont need to be recording to report hackers). But to blame the devs for things they dont have any say in, is like blaming your food deliverer for not removing tomatoes off your burger. They didnt do it, so blaming them is kinda moot. They dont really talk about this, and that could be contractual, so they keep recieving the blame as if they worked in retail and have to deal with Karens wanting to see the manager because the light above the entrance is too bright for them.
Acknowledging the issues exist is always important, if you're blind to the issues, there is no reason even responding.
As for the tweets, I dont think they deleted them, I saw them 1-2 days ago and it was essentially saying that the license holders have all the rights to use the assets DBD made in whatever way they wanted. So in a way, it didnt matter if DBD willingly or unwillingly did anything, as the license holders would have stepped to boss protocol themselves. This way, the only difference is that BHVR recieved money rather than not. If the outcome itself doesnt change, but the difference is that you do or dont have money, the only difference is the morality behind that decision. Since businesses are amoral, morality issues dont really matter. I mean, seriously, if you created, lets say, the Nyan Cat meme, and someone was making an NFT about it. Then they offered you 5 million to get the original copy of Nyan Cat to create the NFT, or they would eventually get their hands on it 3 weeks later because they found your original post on a certain website and still made the NFT. Would you really deny that 5 million offer when the outcome is the same regardless of your input? The tweet BHVR created had a lot of very strict wording that are used when talking about legal stuff, when normally their statements are quite casual. That alone raises suspicion that we dont know enough to truly make any claims about BHVR actually supporting it or not. So best case scenario, they recieved money(or x% of profits) for something where their input didnt really matter. Absolute worst case scenario, they coined the NFT idea to Hellraisers license holders. Considering the information we have and the wording it has been in, I am leaning more towards the better case scenario than the worst one. In the best case scenario, they could have not accepted the deal, but that's just bad business. *(not even talking about the fact that this would also fall under the "cant even blame Mathieu Cote for this" because BHVR higher ups tend to be the ones making decisions like that)*
As for the names, yeah, fully agree. Inner Healing vs Inner Strength feels a bit odd when "Inner Peace" would work better(yknow, cleansing a totem helps reduce the threat of NOED, which leads to a more peaceful end, not that it's particularly good, but better). Some are great tho. I do think Fearmonger fits much better than Mindbreaker.
But I do have to say that Inner Healing and Renewal are better names than Survival Instincts and Push Through It, which were the first names being coined.