Was looping discovered by players or was it intended when the game was designed?

One of the most important aspects of dbd, I was just wondering.

Comments

  • I think it was discovered by players because if it was intended the game would've started with the entity block instead of implementing it later on

  • Well looping only works in the first place because it takes advantage of the Killer's larger hitbox slowing them down when running around tight corners, which I doubt was intentionally designed that way.

  • I mean there were literal infinites: video example

    Doubt it was something that was thought about much. Seems to be a community founded concept.

  • Just like Sabo squads were popular, once people noticed how saboteur worked back in the day or killer noticed the efficiency of mass slugging (partially thanks to those Sabo squads) or the always hated camping or tunneling.

    Given enough time and sample size, people will always find ways to maximize efficiency in every game. Even while completely breaking the base gameplay atmosphere (i don't have the concrete game in mind but something is scratching at the back of my head regarding this topic but i can't remember).

    Another example would be in rainbow six siege the development of breaking most walls for line of sights instead of reinforcing bigger portions for protection.

  • The game was originally designed as a one on one hide and seek game with the survivor having multiple lives and the killer being able to mori immediately without hooking

    The games changed a bit since then

  • Honestly, I automatically started looping and taking the same windows over and over again as survivor because it just made sense.

  • Looping didnt really work until lithe with spark of madness sure you could still do it but it wasnt as effective

  • I always find it weird people consider looping something that was "discovered." In a game about time efficiency to resource management it just makes basic sense to run around an object an additional time.

  • I think they just intended survivors to just run from pallet to pallet, throwing them down as they came to them. otherwise, I can't imagine why the early maps would be so pallet dense .

  • It wasn't intended, no. In fact, in the early days, it was considered an exploit.

  • @burt0r said:

    Just like Sabo squads were popular, once people noticed how saboteur worked back in the day or killer noticed the efficiency of mass slugging (partially thanks to those Sabo squads) or the always hated camping or tunneling.

    Given enough time and sample size, people will always find ways to maximize efficiency in every game. Even while completely breaking the base gameplay atmosphere (i don't have the concrete game in mind but something is scratching at the back of my head regarding this topic but i can't remember).

    Another example would be in rainbow six siege the development of breaking most walls for line of sights instead of reinforcing bigger portions for protection.

    Melee is probably the best example. A children's party game designed to be an equalizer turned into some hyper competitive fighting game after people exploited unintended mechanics. And the the same 5 people won every tournament for like a decade because they were just that much better than everyone when they turned off items and stage hazards, lol.

  • Maybe in some form, I imagine loops early on were just more time wasters before the Killer inevitably downed the Survivor rather than the more complex tiles we have today. Just a natural evolution of the Devs looking at it and going "hmm, we could do this and this and that could be kinda cool."

  • @MrCalac123 said:

    Maybe in some form, I imagine loops early on were just more time wasters before the Killer inevitably downed the Survivor rather than the more complex tiles we have today. Just a natural evolution of the Devs looking at it and going "hmm, we could do this and this and that could be kinda cool."

    I imagine loops early on were just more time wasters before the Killer inevitably downed the Survivor rather than the more complex tiles we have today.

    Nope. There were literal infinites, where the killer was mathematically incapable of catching up to the survivor. It wasn't intended.

  • Randomly generated gameplay fundations.

  • @ScottJund said:

    I always find it weird people consider looping something that was "discovered." In a game about time efficiency to resource management it just makes basic sense to run around an object an additional time.

    Yeah that makes sense with how the game is now, but back when getting downed for the first time meant you could be moried without ever being hooked that extra loop was bigger risk especially since the killer was hosting. Then going back to alpha when it was 1 v 1 looping would have just been time wasting.

    The game has evolved a great deal and as I typed this out I can't really recall when looping became the meta over hiding, maybe when Sprint burst was the best perk because exhaustion recovered while running?

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562645#Comment_2562645

    Yeah that makes sense with how the game is now, but back when getting downed for the first time meant you could be moried without ever being hooked that extra loop was bigger risk especially since the killer was hosting. Then going back to alpha when it was 1 v 1 looping would have just been time wasting.

    The game has evolved a great deal and as I typed this out I can't really recall when looping became the meta over hiding, maybe when Sprint burst was the best perk because exhaustion recovered while running?

    back when getting downed for the first time meant you could be moried without ever being hooked

    ...If the killer brought a Mori offering.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562819#Comment_2562819

    back when getting downed for the first time meant you could be moried without ever being hooked

    ...If the killer brought a Mori offering.

    Nope back in the day mori was base kit and did not require a hook

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562835#Comment_2562835

    Nope back in the day mori was base kit and did not require a hook

    I've been playing since release. That was never a thing.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562840#Comment_2562840

    I've been playing since release. That was never a thing.

    It was might have been in the beta or even alpha. All of dbd is one gaint messy memory for me

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562846#Comment_2562846

    It was might have been in the beta or even alpha. All of dbd is one gaint messy memory for me

    That sounds about right, yes. In the release version, though, Moris have never been basekit.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562849#Comment_2562849

    That sounds about right, yes. In the release version, though, Moris have never been basekit.

    Gotchya, maybe you remember when did the basement get buffed to 4 hooks was that on release or after? Me and friend were arguing about it lol

  • @ClumsyTrapper said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562855#Comment_2562855

    Gotchya, maybe you remember when did the basement get buffed to 4 hooks was that on release or after? Me and friend were arguing about it lol

    It was already that way when I started playing, so it had to be just before or on release.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2562859#Comment_2562859

    It was already that way when I started playing, so it had to be just before or on release.

    Ty yeah it use to only have 1 hook when it was added back when sabo was permanent then the former caused the ladder to get buffed to 4 hooks then normal hooks got respawn timers

  • @Orion said:

    It wasn't intended, no. In fact, in the early days, it was considered an exploit.

    It's so fascinating how players are able to warp the very nature of games. I wonder how it must feel as a dev to see your creation practically take on a life of its own.