Did BHVR really just say this?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vDcEdoR7Rh0

“Most killers move faster than survivors, so running in a straight line will prove futile.” ~ Timestamp 3:01


Just thought it was funny that BHVR is either unaware or just wants to discredit the “Hold W” meta, where you can sometimes waste like 20-30 seconds of the killer’s time before they are close enough to initiate a chase.

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564615#Comment_2564615

    It’s a pattern they have, though.

    Like saying Wraith is “overpowered”. They need to stop thinking like Rank 20’s, this game has been around too long for that.

    Let's stay on-topic. What's wrong with a beginner's guide explaining the game at a beginner's level?

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564615#Comment_2564615

    It’s a pattern they have, though.

    Like saying Wraith is “overpowered”. They need to stop thinking like Rank 20’s, this game has been around too long for that.

    It's a BEGINNERS guide! It's literally for rank 20s!

    Running straight might be good against a lot of killers but against hundreds, trickster, hillbilly, deathslinger, demo, bubba, spirit, etc you're gonna have a bad time. even Myers and GF can stalk while you run straight.

    Again this is a beginner's guide. They don't have the luxury of breaking down optimal loop distances and their associated killers...

  • Goddamn, people are still commenting on this?

  • You got me there, after two pages of it being patiently described why this take is silly there's really little benefit to continuing to try and make the point.

    I just can't resist, myself. It's a problem.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564636#Comment_2564636

    You got me there, after two pages of it being patiently described why this take is silly there's really little benefit to continuing to try and make the point.

    I just can't resist, myself. It's a problem.

    I just want @Rey_512 to explain what's wrong with a beginner's guide explaining the game at a beginner's level.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564618#Comment_2564618

    Let's stay on-topic. What's wrong with a beginner's guide explaining the game at a beginner's level?

    What’s wrong simply excluding an inaccurate statement?

    I already addressed this before by providing a condensed version of what they could have said to make their guide a little more accurate, but maybe you didn’t read all of my posts.

    I’m not going to repeat myself any longer nor go back and forth with folks that fail address perfectly good points.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564636#Comment_2564636

    You got me there, after two pages of it being patiently described why this take is silly there's really little benefit to continuing to try and make the point.

    I just can't resist, myself. It's a problem.

    Forum syndrome, man.

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564622#Comment_2564622

    What’s wrong simply excluding an inaccurate statement?

    I already addressed this before by providing a condensed version of what they could have said to make their guide a little more accurate, but maybe you didn’t read all of my posts.

    I’m not going to repeat myself any longer nor go back and forth with folks that fail address perfectly good points.

    They've all addressed your point, because the video is a beginner's guide providing a simplified understanding of the game's very baseline mechanics. Your version may have worked as well, but the numerous comments and insinuations that BHVR "don't understand their own game" or are somehow displaying ignorance because of that one cherrypicked quotes are absolutely embarrassing.

    Your point has been addressed. You're the one ignoring perfectly good points.

  • @jesterkind said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564642#Comment_2564642

    They've all addressed your point, because the video is a beginner's guide providing a simplified understanding of the game's very baseline mechanics. Your version may have worked as well, but the numerous comments and insinuations that BHVR "don't understand their own game" or are somehow displaying ignorance because of that one cherrypicked quotes are absolutely embarrassing.

    Your point has been addressed. You're the one ignoring perfectly good points.

    I could pick many more quotes, but @Orion asked me to stay on-topic.

    Like I said, I’m not going to repeat myself any longer other than stating I already provided a condensed version of how they could have worded their video.

  • We're talking about the same people that said using 2 exhaust perks at the same time would be the best escape build on Twitter.

    image.png


  • @Kurri said:

    We're talking about the same people that said using 2 exhaust perks at the same time would be the best escape build on Twitter.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/NKY26LI80BRB/image.png

    @Orion @jesterkind Exhibit C.

  • @Kurri said:

    We're talking about the same people that said using 2 exhaust perks at the same time would be the best escape build on Twitter.

    https://us.v-cdn.net/6030815/uploads/NKY26LI80BRB/image.png

    Which was already established as having been a simple mix-up between one of those Exhaustion perks and another one (I think it was between Lithe and Windows of Opportunity, but I'm not 100% sure).

    This is why the devs don't communicate more. What's the point, if people are going to twist everything into something that suits their own narrative?

  • Exhibit C of another case, perhaps. Again, this is about the guide.

  • Even if it weren't a mix-up as Orion's explaining, this isn't a case of them saying something inaccurate, so that's irrelevant. As has been exhaustively explained, what they said in that video is accurate for the context of what they're explaining, which is all it has to be.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564652#Comment_2564652

    Which was already established as having been a simple mix-up between one of those Exhaustion perks and another one (I think it was between Lithe and Windows of Opportunity, but I'm not 100% sure).

    This is why the devs don't communicate more. What's the point, if people are going to twist everything into something that suits their own narrative?

    Sure sure, all their other posts like this was to use the exact build, but once they got grief for this post they made a statement after.

    Stop blindly defending them. They are a big enough company that can handle being called out on their mistakes.

  • @Kurri said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564655#Comment_2564655

    Sure sure, all their other posts like this was to use the exact build, but once they got grief for this post they made a statement after.

    Stop blindly defending them. They are a big enough company that can handle being called out on their mistakes.

    Yeah, they made a statement admitting to the mistake. What do you want, exactly? For them to just let you bash them and never admit their mistakes?

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564652#Comment_2564652

    Which was already established as having been a simple mix-up between one of those Exhaustion perks and another one (I think it was between Lithe and Windows of Opportunity, but I'm not 100% sure).

    This is why the devs don't communicate more. What's the point, if people are going to twist everything into something that suits their own narrative?

    Imagine if the President never gave press conferences because the media would twist the words to suit the narrative?

    No, communication is necessary. BHVR is just not very good at how and when they do it so maybe they’re gun shy (not a good thing). I didn’t really care about the NFT stuff, but many on this forum were losing their minds because BHVR didn’t address it until a day or two ago. During the Patrick Q&A, he ignored some highly upvoted questions in favor of stuff that doesn’t really impact the community/playerbase.

    And yeah, I realized it’s intended to be a beginner’s guide. Doesn’t mean they are free from criticism, regardless if the strategy is for Rank 20’s or not.

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564655#Comment_2564655

    Imagine if the President never gave press conferences because the media would twist the words to suit the narrative?

    No, communication is necessary. BHVR is just not very good at how and when they do it so maybe they’re gun shy (not a good thing). I didn’t really care about the NFT stuff, but many on this forum were losing their minds because BHVR didn’t address it until a day or two ago. During the Patrick Q&A, he ignored some highly upvoted questions in favor of stuff that doesn’t really impact the community/playerbase.

    And yeah, I realized it’s intended to be a beginner’s guide. Doesn’t mean they are free from criticism, regardless if the strategy is for Rank 20’s or not.

    Nobody's saying they are free from criticism, we're saying the criticism is grasping at straws to make them look bad and it's no surprise they don't communicate with us more often.

    Don't compare developers with heads of state, please. They're nowhere near the same level.

  • I'm feeling a lot of second hand embarrassment for several posters in this topic - the desperation is palpable.

  • @Raccoon said:

    I'm feeling a lot of second hand embarrassment for several posters in this topic - the desperation is palpable.

    You don’t have to feel embarrassed for anyone. There is no “desperation” here, it’s a forum for a videogame.

    A videogame we’re passionate about? Sure. But at the end of the day it’s just a game.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564675#Comment_2564675

    Nobody's saying they are free from criticism, we're saying the criticism is grasping at straws to make them look bad and it's no surprise they don't communicate with us more often.

    Don't compare developers with heads of state, please. They're nowhere near the same level.

    It’s not grasping at straws. I’ll just say it one last time for the people in the back:

    “Holding W” is a braindead strategy/concept that even Rank 20s can understand and utilize. Saying that running in a straight line is futile undermines that strategy. It’s fairly common knowledge that you can waste loads of time by not trying to immediately loop and instead opting for max distance. It doesn’t require a rocket scientist IQ or Otzdarva-level experience to understand this strategy.

    I respect that you’re trying to be Devil’s Advocate here, and I understand your argument. I simply think they could have worded it better. That’s my opinion - which you’re not going to change, just like how I’m not going to change yours.

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564677#Comment_2564677

    You don’t have to feel embarrassed for anyone. There is no “desperation” here, it’s a forum for a videogame.

    A videogame we’re passionate about? Sure. But at the end of the day it’s just a game.

    I'm aware that I don't need to do anything, but seeing a childlike degree of obstinance evokes that feeling in me.

  • @Raccoon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564683#Comment_2564683

    I'm aware that I don't need to do anything, but seeing a childlike degree of obstinance evokes that feeling in me.

    You’re going to see that on every forum, especially this one. Maybe the forums aren’t the place for an emotionally mature person like yourself.

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564692#Comment_2564692

    You’re going to see that on every forum, especially this one. Maybe the forums aren’t the place for an emotionally mature person like yourself.

    Appreciate the real time demonstration.


    Thank you.

  • Real time demonstration of what, exactly? Please elaborate.

  • lmfao. futile meaning best strat?

  • I'm glad they made this video because it is exactly who they make the game for. Beginners. They get people to play their game and enjoy it until they get to higher levels and then leave. They do a good job hiding how poor their design is at the start. Just enough to get that sweet money from people they bring in. Veterans are expendable.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564660#Comment_2564660

    Yeah, they made a statement admitting to the mistake. What do you want, exactly? For them to just let you bash them and never admit their mistakes?

    They didn't admit their mistake though, they attempted to change what they said.

    Don't start to try and play toxic mind games with me.

  • @Kurri said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2564664#Comment_2564664

    They didn't admit their mistake though, they attempted to change what they said.

    Don't start to try and play toxic mind games with me.

    I don’t understand why people blindly defend this company to the level they do.

    The criticism should be kept civil and within the rules, of course.

  • W isn't the best tactic. It works, but a good looper will always waste more of the killer's time than a W holder, and people should strive to be good loopers. Why would BHVR tell people to do braindead crap?

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=vDcEdoR7Rh0

    “Most killers move faster than survivors, so running in a straight line will prove futile.” ~ Timestamp 3:01

    Just thought it was funny that BHVR is either unaware or just wants to discredit the “Hold W” meta, where you can sometimes waste like 20-30 seconds of the killer’s time before they are close enough to initiate a chase.

    So I tested this with my wife and a couple friends.

    She's never played before, and only has a copy of the game because she likes stranger things and didn't want to miss the chance to get Nancy if she wants to play around Halloween, which puts her at the exact skill level the video was made for.

    We tried each killer. As soon as she saw me playing killer, she ran away in a straight line.

    She lost every single chase.

    Turns out, it was pretty futile for a newbie with no understanding of the game mechanics to try and run away in a straight line.

    It's almost like there is some game mechanic that makes killers run faster over time in a chase like that, meaning ultimately it's impossible to outrun without any other tools. Weird, right? /S

  • @Snowbawlzzz said:

    W isn't the best tactic. It works, but a good looper will always waste more of the killer's time than a W holder, and people should strive to be good loopers. Why would BHVR tell people to do braindead crap?

    Because they balance the game for braindead survivors.

  • @AsherFrost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/287079/did-bhvr-really-just-say-this

    So I tested this with my wife and a couple friends.

    She's never played before, and only has a copy of the game because she likes stranger things and didn't want to miss the chance to get Nancy if she wants to play around Halloween, which puts her at the exact skill level the video was made for.

    We tried each killer. As soon as she saw me playing killer, she ran away in a straight line.

    She lost every single chase.

    Turns out, it was pretty futile for a newbie with no understanding of the game mechanics to try and run away in a straight line.

    It's almost like there is some game mechanic that makes killers run faster over time in a chase like that, meaning ultimately it's impossible to outrun without any other tools. Weird, right? /S

    And I’ve played against what seemed to be inexperienced survivors who tried to loop me and I down them faster than if they just simply held W to gain distance, while possibly using some windows along the way.

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2566279#Comment_2566279

    And I’ve played against what seemed to be inexperienced survivors who tried to loop me and I down them faster than if they just simply held W to gain distance, while possibly using some windows along the way.

    "What seemed to be"

    So you had no idea their skill level, or even if they wanted to get away, or dropped the controller to grab their bong, or were just drunk? These are just some internet randoms you knew nothing about? Fun stuff. Not sure what it's supposed to prove, but fun stuff nonetheless.

    Also "while possibly using some windows along the way" isn't what the video you started this thread to complain about mentioned, it was just running away in a straight line. No vaults, no pallets. Get it?

    So in the end from your comment what we have is "I played some randoms who didn't loop well, I think they would have been better trying to link loops and get distance, but have no way of testing that theory"

  • @AsherFrost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2566378#Comment_2566378

    "What seemed to be"

    So you had no idea their skill level, or even if they wanted to get away, or dropped the controller to grab their bong, or were just drunk? These are just some internet randoms you knew nothing about? Fun stuff. Not sure what it's supposed to prove, but fun stuff nonetheless.

    Also "while possibly using some windows along the way" isn't what the video you started this thread to complain about mentioned, it was just running away in a straight line. No vaults, no pallets. Get it?

    So in the end from your comment what we have is "I played some randoms who didn't loop well, I think they would have been better trying to link loops and get distance, but have no way of testing that theory"

    Well since this game has zero indication of what a player’s skill is (hidden MMR), no - neither myself nor you, nor anyone can tell what the player’s true skill level is other than the eyeball test.

    You act like I’m the only one with this opinion. The average person here knows about the Hold W meta and how effective it is.

  • To be fair, moving in a straight line is not beneficial when the killer is not stunned and you don't have a speed boost.

    However, if you have a speed boost and/or the killer is delayed, then yes widening the gap by holding W is the right call.

    Context is everything. Context, apparently, is lost on people in this day and age.

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2566394#Comment_2566394

    Well since this game has zero indication of what a player’s skill is (hidden MMR), no - neither myself nor you, nor anyone can tell what the player’s true skill level is other than the eyeball test.

    You act like I’m the only one with this opinion. The average person here knows about the Hold W meta and how effective it is.

    I didn't say the meta doesn't exist. But if you are watching intro videos on the official YouTube to learn how to play a game, I'm going to go ahead and assume you don't know what a meta is. The average person on the forums isn't watching the dbd YouTube for tutorial videos.

    That's what people keep pointing out that you don't seem to get for some reason. This isn't about the meta, it's literally an intro video for people who have never played the game, and may never have played any other game like it before.

    These aren't survivors running meta perks with tier cosmetics, they are people who pick Nancy because they like the show, and use 1 level 1 perk, because that's literally all they have unlocked. For those people, running away from the killer in a straight line is absolutely futile.

    Sure, the average member of this forum knows what metas are currently working, but do you really think people are joining this forum before they've even played a handful of matches?

  • @FrenziedRoach said:

    To be fair, moving in a straight line is not beneficial when the killer is not stunned and you don't have a speed boost.

    However, if you have a speed boost and/or the killer is delayed, then yes widening the gap by holding W is the right call.

    Context is everything. Context, apparently, is lost on people in this day and age.

    And the video doesn’t provide much context.

  • @AsherFrost

    Again, even if it’s an intro video, it could be worded a little better. That’s my opinion.

  • @Rey_512 said:

    @AsherFrost

    Again, even if it’s an intro video, it could be worded a little better. That’s my opinion.

    So we've gone from "these morons don't understand their own game" to "they could have worded it a bit better". That's progress.

    Let's take a look at the full quote from the video.

    "Most killers move faster than survivors, so running in a straight line will prove futile. Create separation by vaulting through windows, and drop pallets to block the killer's path. Time it just right to stun them, allowing you to create even more distance"

    How would you have phrased that instead?

  • @AsherFrost said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2566443#Comment_2566443

    So we've gone from "these morons don't understand their own game" to "they could have worded it s bit better". That's progress.

    Let's take a look at the full quote from the video.

    "Most killers move faster than survivors, so running in a straight line will prove futile. Create separation by vaulting through windows, and drop pallets to block the killer's path. Time it just right to stun them, allowing you to create even more distance"

    How would you have phrased that instead?

    I already explained this in my earlier posts.

  • I thought you would appreciate the opportunity to try again, since that earlier post was just you basically saying the same thing they did, which makes it look less like valid criticism, and more like you just being extremely nit-picky, but ok

    "Depending on your surroundings, make use of the environment by dropping pallets and vaulting windows or simply run as far from the killer as possible."

    So your version is more verbally jumbled. Their version broke pallets and windows up, so that the video can show each one and avoid confusion. Yours, not so much. It doesn't even say why you would drop a pallet, or mention stunning.

    "Simply run as far from the killer as possible"

    Well, duh. I mean, even the intro video was willing to extend the benefit of the doubt to new players enough for them to understand you don't run towards the killer. At best, it's just a useless sentence.


    So yeah, same information, sloppier delivery. What exactly is your criticism again?

  • @Rey_512 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2566214#Comment_2566214

    I don’t understand why people blindly defend this company to the level they do.

    The criticism should be kept civil and within the rules, of course.

    I don't think this is a case of blind defence, a lot of people are just tired of seeing everyone complaining about pointless things.

    They could have phrased better but it's not that big of a deal.

  • @Dito175 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2566240#Comment_2566240

    I don't think this is a case of blind defence, a lot of people are just tired of seeing everyone complaining about pointless things.

    They could have phrased better but it's not that big of a deal.

    And your second paragraph is what I’m basically saying. Yes, it was an opportunity to take a pot shot over something small.

    What’s funnier is people thinking I’m making a big deal and yet they come with elaborate paragraphs in defense of BHVR.

  • I think this thread has gone long enough, so I'm closing it.

1 2 ›