SBMM doesn’t work at high levels

Last night, I played in a four man SWF with good friends. All of us had more than 2000 hours playtime. We went the entire night getting 3-4 escapes almost every match and only got 4k’d once.

I kept thinking the matchmaking was messing up and giving us baby Killers but they always had meta builds and good add-ons. Heck some games ended up being against streamers.

I ended the night realizing that Survivors are absolutely broken and SBMM is even worse than the old system at the top level. All experienced Survivors that are half drunk running meta builds and laughing the entire time should not be the peak of performance in DBD

Comments

  • I mean, the 4 man SWF with 2000+ hrs each is going to be just as a rare as a killer that can handle it. It's certainly not an automatic 4 out against a good killer. Most killer players are very build/add on reliant and fall apart when the game demands clean technique and decision-making for a full 10 minutes.

    A full 4 stack with that experience level is maybe 1 out of 20 games. Not many killer players are well practiced against it.

    Can survivors win every public match if they bring the absolute best perks, BNPs, medkits and have super coordinated comms? Sure. But I've literally never seen it in a public match. Most of the over the top sweat SWFs are terrible and get 4kd early.

  • Survivor with Friends option is drugs. We know it do DBD lots of harms but we just can't stop it. :)

  • Skill based matchmaking works well... The game is just heavily survivor favored. Most competent people knew that well before MMR, though. This is nothing new.

  • Not just swf, if you play solo and get paired with good solo survivors, killers with same skill level are really weak and you destroy the gens very fast.

  • I don't even know if that's only on high MMR.

    Since I'm a killer main, my survivor MMR must not be too high (because even though I play survivor too, it's not a lot). But I've noticed my solo survivor games got easier since SBMM was implemented. Probably because the teammates I've been paired with are more skilled.

    I mean, this could also mean I'm only facing low-skill killers since my own MMR is not that high yet, but shouldn't the other survivors be less skilled too? And since the kill rates were higher at lower ranks, shouldn't we expect the same for low MMR?


    As a killer my MMR is obviously higher, and I can confirm games got harder. But some rare times I still end up against survivors who aren't very good and get 4K'd much more easily, go check their playtime and... some have over 2000 hours while others played for less than 300 (now THAT explains why they got caught so easily). It's really weird. SWFs of different MMRs, I guess. Or maybe I must play more games with some killers to raise their MMR further, but since having a single high MMR killer pulls the others up, I shouldn't be facing 300 hours survivors ever. How can I in one match be facing 2,5K hours survivors and a while later be paired against some guys with 300 or less?

    I wish I could actually see my MMR numbers on each killer and on survivor so I could get a better idea on why this is happening.

  • You only just figured out the game is built for survivors to lose? The second you load in you have already won, it is the mistakes you make that let the killer win.

    Don't make mistakes? you win.. no matter what the killer does.

  • Sbmm just doesn’t work period

  • At high skill levels the game is heavily survivor sided, so this is not surprising.

  • @ThiccBudhha said:

    Skill based matchmaking works well... The game is just heavily survivor favored. Most competent people knew that well before MMR, though. This is nothing new.

    I was actually surprised at how good the SBMM was, and I feel it's a little too good. imo however it goes to show why an mmr based matchmaking system doesn't work well in this game. I think the games I've been having since mmr have been more fair, but way less fun. The outcome of every match just seems like "I'm gonna get a 2k and there's nothing I can do about it." and if I do try get better, it just raises me until I get 2ks again.

    Rarely now does it feel like I get devastated by a swf or mop the floor with survivors. And that lack of uncertainty of how a match will go makes the game feel kind of bland. Also the mm system promotes smurfing too.

  • I'm not sure how it can be the fault of SBMM. If you are in a 2000 hours 4-person SWF with comms then you win.

    Is it because you don't normally SWF? If you normally solo your MMRs will be at your solo levels so the same killers you were fairly matched with will suddenly be completely outmatched.

  • @fantasyone said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2559316#Comment_2559316

    1 out of 20 before, not after SBMM comes out.

    Climb up there, you'll see 3stack minimum, Every. Single. Game.

    Speaking out of experience.

    That's conjecture though. Unless they have public profiles on PC and you can check Steam profiles. Decent survivors =/= SWF. Even if it is SWF, it's kind of whatever. Nobody is running clock callouts and bodyblocking in public matches. Or they're not doing it well if they are

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2559344#Comment_2559344

    That's conjecture though. Unless they have public profiles on PC and you can check Steam profiles. Decent survivors =/= SWF. Even if it is SWF, it's kind of whatever. Nobody is running clock callouts and bodyblocking in public matches. Or they're not doing it well if they are

    yeah bro I hate to say this but it's obvious you dont play high mmr when they all have the same ending on their names and they app group and body block and all of bt and unbreakable and last second switch to all flashes or all medkits it's pretty obvious its swf and that's like every 1/3 games at high mmr

  • People have always said that survivor is broken when survivors are competent. Even more broken when they're swf.

    The only reason people tolerated it is because competent swf groups were relatively rare and the random assortment of survivor skills in matches made for some chill matches and some hard matches which balanced out the games.

    This game is very imbalanced. It is balanced around survivors that do not know what they're doing. And it uses the perk system as patchwork for a foundation that is just not holding up. MMR is really just making it so much more apparent.

  • Well what happened that you got 4k'd once?

    Balance at the highest level of play isn't that great, there's lots of room to improve, but I doubt that it was never the killer's fault in some of the matches. The game does have balanced maps and strong killers.

    But if survivors play organized enough and know how to loop and do gens very effectively, the killer will have a challenging time, and in some cases, barely no chance or no chance at all to win the match.

  • Someone woke up to reality?

  • 3 kills in 5 matches ffs. I used to 3-4 with my main. Now it's just swf, flashlights, bt and the rest of it. Can't wait to take a break from the game. The game as killer is NOT fun, not anymore, been playing for 3.5 years and never had this lack of fun playing killer

  • I find the SBMM garbage on any side i play. If i play killer i get no kills or maybe 1 or 2, matched against people with 2k hours and ive played killer maybe 100 matches total at most.

    When i play as a survivor where i have over 1.5k hours even as a duo trio or 4 we rarely even get a 2 man escape. The matchmaking is total crap, the rates of escape or kill is no different to when there was no matchmaking imo.