So when playing against Pinhead when is the optimal time to solve the puzzlebox?
Like should i solve it asap or right before a chainhunt? Or only when hes preoccupied so he wont teleport to me directly? I ask this because i cant really seem to figure it out so help me understand guys and thx for your input.
Comments
Waiting for the chainhunt means there's a chance the chain hunt will interrupt you solving it, buying Pinhead time to interrupt you himself and screwing over your team with another chainhunt. For solving, however, it's best to solve when he's picking up a survivor he downed.
You can either solve it when a survivor is being carried on his shoulder
Another way to use it is to take pressure off of another survivor, if you know a survivor is about to go down or if a survivor is being tunneled exclusively, you can work on the box in the hopes that he relents and teleports to you
I imagine it's situational but here have been my kind of "ground rules" as a solo player
Unless Chain Hunt is starting soon, I leave the box alone. If I am not injured, I will go to the box when it's about halfway-ish through and just work on it right away and let Pinhead either come to me or if he's busy, take out the box before the hunt is a problem.
If I am injured, I will wait until he has downed and is picking someone up before I start to work on it. That way he is forced to either drop the person he has (allowing my team to go get them back up) or the box will be done before the person is hooked so I'll be safe.
Just after he's downed someone. Tempt him into leaving the downed player thus allowing them to be healed. Win win
From my experience after playing him, usually when i'm carrying someone so i can't interrupt them, sometimes during chases as well because the heartbeat sound and visual sfx is incredibly annoying during chases and makes survivors almost silent with how loud it is.
If you haven't been hooked yet and want to take aggro, solve it whenever.
If you don't want him to teleport to you, solve it just as he picks up a survivor so he has less of a window where he can teleport to you. It's also a good idea to solve it if he's hovering around a hook and you want to draw him away to give a teammate a window to save.
I wouldn't necessarily solve it immediately, but keep an eye on the timer and if it seems like nobody else is solving it, go for it yourself. Chain hunts are a PITA.
I would say it's in the best interest to solve the cube sometime after 50% of the progress towards the chain hunt has happened. Since solving the box or having the killer teleport to you puts the chain hunt on a 45 second CD you'll massively deny the chain hunt by waiting closer to when the chain hunt would start.
Far away from him and when hes busying doing other things. You want to make sure hes never close enough to attack you while you're solving or holding the box, since if he downs you you'll end up screwing over your whole team.
The smart play is to work on objectives near the box, if possible, and then while he's busy pick up the box and solve it, or take the box to an open-ish area (lots of LOS) with resources around you can deal with him in if he teleports.
The me play, and so objectively best play, is to hold the box all game because the music is relaxing.
Ok these have been some good tips thx guys
I see everyone is suggesting when a survivor is being picked up- but what about when he uses that add-on to increase the solving time? It’s never enough- especially if someone was downed near a hook. As he gets more popular, that add-on will be the meta and you’ll see it on most Pinheads like what “all-seeing blood” is to Wraith. Then what do we do?
I wait until right before it begins or take the opportunity to reset it while he is picking someone up
Wait until the icon is about 3 quarters of the au to activating it before going for the configuration, that should give you plenty of time to grab it, solve it and move on
I literally just solve it whenever I'm near the box. It's not threatening to have him teleport to you. Make sure you're near a loop. Solve it. Half the time killer is preoccupied anyways.
If I'm not near the box I don't actively seek it out.
I always trie to solve it as soon as i pick it up, don't want killer to notice the HUD changes.