Why do you risk our safety and not have dedicated servers?
By not having dedicated servers you comprimise the safety of your player base. Anyone can look up the ip addresses of the other players they're connected to in a game with relative ease and then launch a DDoS attack. I have stopped playing dead by daylight after someone in my friend circle who I've had fallouts with in the past has started ddosing me and I suspect he will also ddos others I play with and try to blame me. I ofcourse can't prove it was him but this must also be an issue many others are facing. By not having dedicated servers you put us all at risk by playing your game
Comments
@akbays35 Too many pronouns/acronyms, lol. Which game are you referring to that has a player base that's twice more than... StarCraft 2? Which game has a stable player base? DbD?
If that's what you're trying to say, my point was that it would very quickly not have a stable player base if half the world couldn't actually play the game anymore without getting unplayable levels of lag.
Yeah, they definetely have money issues...
No competitive game would even consider a P2P connection, and for good reason.
Every figthing game ever would like to have a word with you. for small scale games (and by that i mean 1v1 i am not sure until which XvX its viable i would say should be ok for 2v2 but above that you are asking for trouble... just ask For Honor)
That's not how servers work.
Yeah, I've heard that on here regarding fighting games. But I'll be honest, I haven't touched a fighting game in 20 years or more, back when I was in my 20s and you went to as video arcade to play them because home versions on Sega or PS1 sucked.
When I think competitive games, I look at MOBAs, shooters, or, hell, even WoW PvP Arenas.
Fighting games aren't even on my radar. My kid plays them. I wasn't even aware they had any sort of comp-scene.
But I understand your point, and will stand corrected in regards to it.
I'm a hero-shooter, MOBA, and MMO player outside of putzing around with DBD. Just from the forums, I'm realizing that my preferred games seem to be different from a lot of others here on the forums. My previous games of the past 6 years or so were MMOs like DCUO, SWTOR, and WoW, Heroes of the Storm for MOBA, and Overwatch and Paladins for hero-shooters, with a little Diablo 3 tossed in for AARPG play.
DBD is my first time trying an asymmetrical game. Not yet sure if I'm sold on the genre.
So companies like the ones that make the call of duty games are wasting money using dedicated servers because they are worse? Again....F13th added dedicated servers...a dead or dying game with no future for new content. Why did they add servers for that game if they are worse? Why didnt they just keep it the same way and save money?
The skill the dbd devs have, they probably would make the server render the game and then complain about cpu usage.
AGAIN, I will mention how match size is one of the biggest components. The fewer players there are playing a game, the less connections there are overall, and the less that a dedicated server is truly needed. CoD games have twice as many up to more than ten times as many players in a match than dead by daylight does: they need dedicated servers because so many people are playing. Also, P2P has no distinct benefit for them, because each player is exactly the same, no one has a special role. Again, games that specifically have very few players, 1v1, 2v2, etc, specifically don't use dedicated servers because it would increase latency more often than not for so few players.
The Friday the 13th game has 8 players in a match. 3 more than dead by daylight, and that does justify the need of dedicated servers. Beyond that they did P2P in a very dumb way: one of the councilors was the host, not jason. Meaning if THEY quit, the match would end, period. So dedicated servers is two birds, one stone for them. It puts the responsibility of being the host off of one of the less important players, and the server can better handle the larger number of connections. 3 may not sound like a large increase, but connections are exponential, remember.
And yes, in some ways, dedicated servers could be worse. For one, let's say that they only build the servers in america. Oh, you aren't in america? Sucks for you, you now have 400+ ping for every single match. And, again, it isn't the "cure-all" that everyone thinks it will be. Laggy people will still lag. They'll still rubber band and teleport. In fact, I would say nothing would change. Plus in his post, he mentioned it may have been a deliberate choice by the developers, using it to enforce the "favor the shooter" type of logic. The logic is that it's worse for someone to feel like something should have hit, but latency/etc says it didn't than for someone to get hit by something that they feel shouldn't have hit. Overwatch was built on that. Specifically, games like the older CoD games and such had a "favor the dodger" logic. Meaning you could pump a dozen rounds into them, but the game could flat out tell you no.
What you want is for them to improve the netcode, not get dedicated servers.
maybe, but considering the ops post, they definitely need better and more secured connections .
If you have safety concerns you're most likely somebody who has important data on his PC, in other words CEO/High position in a company in which case I say tough luck, nobody will sympathize with you.
Ok so you ARE saying dedicated servers are worse hehe....gotcha.
Oh and apparently if its 5 players and under then p2p is better....how convenient for your argument hehe.
(If I’m wrong on one of these, darn) 1) Killer lag should be minimal, and it’s reduce stupid hits on the 4 survivors, I’ve teleported across the map before. That’d never happen again. 2) As long as the servers aren’t butt tier, it won’t be worse than what it is now. 3) Unless their poor servers, they should be able to withstand it. 4) EVen without a new server they need to revise the game. It’s messed up not to, with all the spaghetti code and everything breaking constantly
Why you ask?... Cause there currently is no dedicated servers. So... What else are you going to do, if you want to play this game? Come on here and say you won't play anymore cause there is no dedicated servers?
No prob. Don't play.
So... If you think someone is doing something malicious to you because your IP is exposed... Play through a VPN.
You can argue and debate it all you want. Come on here and chat it out all you want. However the reality is... There is no dedicated servers.... And from the looks of it... None coming in the near future.
So... What sort of logic is diminishing?... That there is no dedicated servers so fear mongering about not having them... About rarely ever seeing anything about anyone getting DDOS'd... Use VPN if it concerns you so much, or out right not playing the game?... What logic is diminished?... Oh the one where I'm supposed to pretend there is dedicated servers or that the Devs are actually moving forwarded and putting those in place.
If someone is that concerned about having their IP exposed because of the video game...... Then they should get a VPN... Cause almost everything you are doing on the internet is exposing you.
One more point....
OP is worried about their "friend" DDOS'ing themselves and/or their other friends and blaming it on the OP.
So... How is this friend getting the OP's IP address. Please tell me that? Seems kind of weird.... I change my IP address... But my so called "friend" can keep getting it?.... HOW?... So who are their other so called friends? Are they giving the bad actor the OPs IP address?... Seems pretty fishy... and makes the whole post suspect.
But you keep climbing up the dedicated server tree. You never know.. The Devs did change their stance on it once they bought the rights from the publisher and also put in the store. Their firm NO stance changed to a POSSIBILITY stance.