Who Should I Buy: Deathslinger or Oni?
As simple as that. I'm cycling between Doctor and Freddy (who I main) and Ghostface, with Nemesis in mind soon (I'm just not so great with him). But I've been interested in Deathslinger and Oni since their releases, and I think it's time to go for it when I get the chance... so which one?
Comments
Why make this poll if you already decided and voted? Also I messed up and meant to press Oni, please don't count my vote towards Deathslinger.
I bumped vote while navigating a tab, my bad.
I'd say both. Two very different killers. If you like FPS style gameplay, go with Slinger. If you like snowball-y style killers go with Oni, but they're both really fun to play in their own ways.
The reason they're making this poll is because they can only get one.
MORE ONI MAINS
oni if you are on pc and deathslinger if you are on console...imo
If you agree good with aim choose death slinger if not so much and you like speed choose oni
Oni for sure. He is stronger and probably more fun to play generaly speaking.
Also Deathslinger got huge nerf few patches ago so he is less fun and less good overall.
Deathslinger is honestly unplayable in his current state, clunky, unfun and weak piece of garbage. Oni is definitely a better choice
Twins are a lot of fun once you get used to them.
as for Slinger v. Oni:
Scares: Tied.
Viability: Oni, at this point.
"ohohoho, that felt good to land": uh... tied again.
survivor fun: tied.
addons: Oni, barely.
Cosmetics: Oni, but neither have terrific cosmetics.
Oni:
a really fun and powerful killer, someone you can sink a lot of time and training into and enjoy for a decently long time (like most Killers he isnt really viable for highest level of play, but he is a lot more viable than Deathslinger is)
Deathslinger:
just pick Huntress. should the Devs ever undo the most recent gutting, go for him! i think he was a lot more fun to play as than Oni, but in his current state i'd pick not playing the game at all over playing this guy.
in terms of Perks they are pretty equal. both got two Perks you're essentially never going to use and one Perk that can be VERY good when combined with the right other Perks.
Oni. Slinger's controls are clunky and janky af, and his quality of life is kind of garbage at the moment. not Twins level bad but its very annoying like old Plague.
Oni has perks synergy with more killers.
Oni is more viable and fun, and deathslinger is now a worse huntress
Get Oni. After his last set of nerfs, Deathslinger has no Redeeming qualities.
I know I voted for Oni even back in August, and I stand by that vote, however seeing a lot of Deathslinger hate and having played a lot of Deathslinger (mostly because of the snowmen in this year's Bone Chill event) I feel compelled to throw Deathslinger a bone because he's not all bad- only undoubtedly worse from where he was before.
But since I'm assuming you've never played Deathslinger before he was changed, I think this is actually a nonfactor that people are overemphasizing too much. New players won't have any experience playing Deathslinger before and so they are only building new experience from here on out.
Here are just a few things to keep in mind when taking an Objective approach toward Deathslinger (which isn't based on an emotional response to frustration with the recent changes):
Concluding:
The first four positives alone make Deathslinger an overall far more forgiving and new player friendly killer than Huntress ever will be. This is not to say that Huntress is particularly difficult to play, but that Deathslinger takes many of Huntresses weaknesses and covers them up. Infinite ammo, a faster projectile that can't be easily dodged while it's in the air, faster ADS time, etc. In addition to this, a decent chunk of Huntress's strength comes from being able to hit long range or even cross map shots- meaning if you play Huntress but can't or won't hit survivors from great distances you may as well play Deathslinger who is more dangerous in your average mid-to-close ranges that a chase usually occurs in.
Playing Deathslinger (regularly) again after having not played him since the changes went through- my enjoyment of this killer has actually been surprisingly reinvigorated. Hitting just a regular shot with the redeemer is still incredibly satisfying, and hitting a long range or otherwise crazy shot even more so.
The lore and concept of the Deathslinger himself, I find to be incredibly unique and fascinating. A wronged and now vengeful engineer / inventor turned bounty hunter in a dark horror western fantasy is by far one of the more distinctive chapters, and small details like the sound of his bony jaw cracking into place or his malicious cackle really sells the idea of the Spooky Cowboy. The Hat, Frock Coat and Redeemer all contribute in their own ways to the singular and timeless aesthetic of the character.
Again, Oni is definitely the answer here as far as a contest between the two, but I wouldn't count Deathslinger out completely, and the responses I've seen make it sound like you should never try him. Despite his changes, I've rediscovered how fun he is to play (although there may be a little bias here because Deathslinger is uniquely capable of taking on all the Snowman shenanigans right now) and I think the character is still worthwhile to look into.
Although obviously he'd be more worthwhile, if the devs would give him some quality of life changes.
Deathslinger is my preferred killer, but I acknowledge that I'm in the minority. You're more likely to like Oni for...well see the other comments. I ain't writing all that out.
DeathSlinger is ridiculously weak and actually frustrating to play as after his nerf. I went into details about this too many times already, it's up to you, but Oni is actually strong and fun for both sides.