BUFFING THE TRAPPER
The Trapper.
Man, we all have a lot of opinions about this guy, especially depending on when you started DBD. He certainly has a nostalgia factor about him. You can't rework him too much or else he won't be the Trapper anymore, but I think most of the community recognizes Killers have gotten stronger since him, and by comparison, he looks weaker. (To be fair, if you go against someone like Otzdarva as Trapper, you'll probably lose) but for a lot of us, he's usually a safe bet for escape.
While I usually don't think Killers should be strong because of add-ons, Trapper is one of those killers that, by design, needs them.
Add-on idea 1: After setting a trap, the trap will be blocked by the entity for a certain time. It cannot be disarmed while the entity protects it.
I've watched a Trapper set a trap at the shack and then immediately disarmed it once he left. I wouldn't be able to do that with this add-on.
Add-on idea 2: When a survivor goes to disarm the trap, their hand gets stuck and they have to struggle to get out. But once they free themselves, the trap is disarmed and they're afflicted with a modified version of the deep wound state.
This would make chases more interesting because if the Trapper comes back to chase the survivor, that survivor has to start chase while needing to mend. But how and why it would be a modified version of the deep wound state is because once they mend, they're back to whatever health state they were before they disarmed the trap. This would be because the Trapper didn't "catch" them in the trap.
Comments
Edit:
I'm fine with discussing options for buffing his base kit, too. These add-ons are appropriate based off of his current base kit, so if that changed then maybe these wouldn't work so well.
I want to be able to play Trapper again, but it just feels like running a tutorial slasher whereby there is no benefits that factor into a real game... traps are so avoidable, and he has no other significant abilities to boast. Just so bland.
Trapper's traps are pretty well hidden on the staircases in Gideon, if you'd be interested in trying that out. I think he definitely deserves some better add-ons to make his gameplay more exciting though.
Gideon is my hellscape. The only game I've done great in it is a recent match with Ghostface (somehow)... but, if I ever feel for some reason that running Trapper is a viable option, I'll see through to it. Cheers mate.
Im a trapper main, and I can list my idea buff for a thousand times.
I would like an add-on that silences the arming of traps.
disarming traps should run the risk of getting trapped
escaping should not be rng
Disarming should require skill checks
either Start with two traps or able to carry 2
All good suggestiongs but I think the best thing for trapper, as well as many other killers, is the early game warm up idea the devs have been teasing for a year. Trappers biggest weakness is the time it takes him to setup. Ruin will probably been seen as the survivors spawn in. Corrupt Intervention works but survivors tend to hide until it's gone. He also has no mobility or map pressure. Giving him a teleport would be lazy. If there was something that actually rpeventing survivors from immediantly working on gens, trapper would be able to place his traps before 3 gens pop.
Can you elaborate on the early game warm up idea?
I can't elaborate because the devs briefly mentioned it in a dev stream long ago. Basically it sounded like the EGC but at the beginning of a match. No word from it sense so it probably isn't happening.
I think it was abandoned to be honest. Not a peep about it in some time.
I hoped there will be a thing. But since they introduce Lethal pursuit. I dont want it anymore. So many time got found in 10sec by god Nurse and down before team mate even touch Gen.
I'm not a traper main so my opinion dosint mean much.
I think I'd be cool if he got diffrent kinds of traps he can switch too while keeping his base ability like clowns antidote bottle. Something like spikes that can be placed on windows to injure or somkinda pallet booby trap.
Never heard of spikes being placed on a window before. I like that idea (as long as they could still be sabotaged). Good thinking.
I also have that idea before, but feel like redundant because you can technically trap next to windows. The only problem that its abit hard to do so when survivor will not get trapped from slow vault if you trap too far, or they fast vault over trap if you trap too close.
Trapper needs a lot of quality of life things but the first thing I'd do is make Dead Hard not pass traps but I'd also add other things survivors can use to disarm traps but overall I feel that traps in general need a complete reimagining to make Trapper a worthwhile killer.
For example Trapper slowly arming a trap while moving across the map and then sliding it somewhere, Trapper being able to call the entity to move their unarmed traps nearby for them, survivors being able to find bricks or stuff around the map to toss nearby to deal with some traps (Just be open minded here when I think reimagining I just feel we need Trapper 2.0).
But yes I feel Trapper should be able to slowly move while arming a trap and I feel that placement needs to be improved similar to Freddy's snares. When Trapper is trying to place a trap it's so finicky against certain surfaces where as Freddy's snares iirc tends to remember the last available spot to place them down. Trapper needs a quality of life change similar to that to where they'll snap to the last viable spot to place a trap so they're not trying to find that pixel perfect spot to set a trap down.
Again so many things Trapper could have and yes I get I suggested a way to disarm traps but that's more a trade off for Dead Hard not to bypass traps. We remove an exhaustion perk as an option to bypass traps where it's either broken against Trapper or when it's not present some traps guarantee that survivor dies in exchange for survivors needing to search the map for like a pile of bricks or something to toss as a trap. The brick would use an item slot too so I feel this only benefits Trapper as it inconveniences survivors being forced to carry an item just to have to skillfully toss it at a trap precisely.
Just my take on things but I feel Trapper needs more than number changes but I won't lie I can't confidently say what all of those things are - All I have is ideas here in this case.
Ya I thought of that too. but if done in the right way it could work. I was thinking the spikes would only injure/ deep wound a survivor and be more hidden, for example the spikes stay conceld an pop out while/after the window is vaulted. slow/medium vaults injure, fast vaults avoid the spikes popping out but that windows now traped making you chose between another safe zone or running that loop and getting injured then deep wound. Id even vote for slow vaults insta downing on spike traps.
like why the hell does he only carry 1 trap as basekit? that's the dumbest thing I've ever seen
If they make trapper viable survivor wont like it. They made wraith viable and survivor hate it we cant have too much killer viable
Reasonable buffs are always fine (I'm a survivor main). Anyone who has a problem with fair adjustments hasn't thought enough about why they're needed, or they're just whiny and want it to be too easy for themselves. If it's the first, a discussion could help. If it's the second, I don't care that it bothers them. But that goes for killer players too.
True but let be honest the wraith buff are really good and fair he have more movement speed but his lunge is reduce and survivor still cry he is op. Imagine that for trapper it will be the same thing again
I have a problem with All Seeing Blood (especially when stacked with Coxcombed Clapper). Other than that, the Wraith doesn't really bother me. But that's the thing. I think enough of the community agrees that Trapper needs a buff, and since the Devs probably aren't going to completely rework his power for various reasons (including fan nostalgia), his add-ons are a good way to go about it. I mean, I'm a survivor main and I presented ideas that would prevent me from disarming traps for a set time, and also slow me down (first to disarm, then to struggle) and give me a modified deep wound state (slow me down again to have to mend). I totally get why you feel that way though, but I think these forums are a lot like Twitter. A lot of the time, it's a bunch of super loud people who make anyone who reads their posts think they represent the majority. In reality, they're just the most vocal. The majority often doesn't bother to even try to engage with them because the back and forth isn't worth their time. So I genuinely believe that a buff would be received well by the community. Especially because I could see a lot of the big streamers talking it up, and their followers often just trust their word.