do you think matches would be more satisfying and rewarding if survivors slowed down?
Not to say all survivors try to bang out gens as quickly as possible. But you have to admit red ranks have the reputation they have for a reason.
To me it feels like at one point a cycle of sweaty matches was started somewhere down the line. Wherein one side started to be overly competitive, forcing the other to be competitive, forcing others to do the same, so on so forth, until we end up where we are today.
I just wish everybody would chill out. That way everybody could enjoy matches for both roles.
Comments
Eh... doing gens is pretty much the only necessary objective survivors have. You can argue that totems are also a secondary objective because of NOED, but they're optional to escape the trial.
You could also argue that the main point of matches is to earn bloodpoints. Which are admittedly hard to earn when a match lasts all of 7 minutes.
Survivors slowed down? You mean gens i guess, right?
If its about suruvivors movement speed: No, not at all a good idea.
It its about gens: I disagree. Its not genspeed, its map size. Reduce the size of some big maps just a little bit and we should be good to go.
If I notice the killer is having a rough match I'll deliberately stop doing gens and go totem hunting. Most people just want a fun back and forth game. The problem as you pointed out is neither side can trust the other to be chill.
Not really, survivors focus to escape and help their teammates, while killers focus on getting those 12 hooks by sacrificing all survivors. That's their objectives. Bloodpoints aren't objectives, they're post-game rewards.
I do a lot to maintain the balance. If I find the hex totem for Ruin but the match has only just started, I ignore it. If I bang out 2 gens, I usually will avoid working on any more unless things get dire or unless I have a challenge to complete. Instead I focus on unhooking, healing, and breaking dull totems.
It doesn't stop oppressive or sweaty killers from coming after me though. Or my teammates from focusing on more than just finishing all the gens as fast as possible.
Well... genspeeds have been getting complained about for years. As long as I can remember playing DBD, there has always been someone piping up about how fast gens can go.
To some degree map size can factor in to how fast gens are done. But no matter how big a map is, if survivors split up to do gens. There isn't much a non - meta killer can do other than try to force a 3 gen.
Thats true, but the term "genspeed" is very vague. They just mean "the game is going very fast". To reduce that, i would rather change some maps then the genspeed. On small maps, genspeed is fine, sometimes even to slow if the killer is strong, but on other maps, it takes to long to patrole them.
No, that would be boring. When they chill, i need to chill. Then we could just all quit or start farming.
The game needs to be balanced from the devs and not with selfmade rules from the player. It would be ok if there would be incentives like do all totems or get 12 hooks to rank up faster (but then people would need to care about that), which prolong the game, but there are so many different things people care about. Some care for pips, some for bp, some for their own win conditions, etc.
I do something along the same lines. Mostly try to earn as many bloodpoints as possible in a match.
Sometimes results in me getting killed, but at least the match was worth doing. Instead of me ending up with 8,000 bp when it ends.
Yeah, exactly. I'm not pissed if I die during the match. I just want to be able to play and have a good time earning points.
When I get pushed out early without being able to do much, I start to wonder what the point of the match even is.
True, but those post game rewards can also be incentives to do things other than gens.
Which admittedly at some point you're going to stop playing for bloodpoints because you've essentially leveled just about everything.
But fast matches don't feel satisfying for many, myself included. Which was the main point I was trying to make.
If it correlates to no tunneling and camping, then yes.
I really wish 12 hook games were more the norm than the exception.
People care for pips????
Yh mostly people who try to reach rank 1 for the first time, i guess. There are many conplaints in the forum that someone lost rank progress bc of camping, tunneling, genrushing etc, but i thinks its a minority.
They reward you for doing things other than gens, which is good, but I'm afraid that survivors likely care more about escaping because you don't really get many bloodpoints as survivor compared to killer. I can't speak for other survivors though, I don't know what they think, this is just my thought.
I don't like fast matches either and there'll need to be plenty of rebalancing, making maps Coal Tower size, fixing survivor spawns...
It's both gen speed and map size.
Maps keep getting bigger and base 80s gen speed combined with the likelihood that in most games survivors with start spread out and near a gen sort of means before a killer even has the ability to move they are at a disadvantage in terms of map pressure. Factor in a lot of killers not having ways to pressure the map it can be a bit much at times.
Gens used to take longer to do by default and maps used to not come out to be gigantic. It would be nice if either one of these things could come back. Like if you want larger maps killers gotta have more time to work their way around that map. Then again kicking gens now runs the risk of you getting your eyes replaced with fireballs so who knows.
I imagine they would be a minority.
I also imagine those people stop caring for pips the moment they learn how being in the red ranks actually is.
Gotta love when the game spawns survivors right next your totem.
I'm glad lethal pursuer came out to show how the survivor spawns actually are
I dont care for pips, but i enjoy red ranks. Since 2018.
The thing is that in the end everybody plays it for the fun, atleast i hope that. And fun is subjective.
I dont know about that 2bh. Look at Coal Tower for example. This map has all the loops and a decent main building for survivor but killer and survivor can agree that it is a very ballanced map, especially because of its small and relative simple map design. Imagine we would reduce generator repairspeed on a map like Coal Tower, Chapel or Saloon... would be unplayable for survivors. Not to mention that repairing gens is one of the most boring thing in the game but thats just a sidenote.
On top of that genspeed is very hard to fix, while changing the size of maps is not. There are so many parts that have to be adjusted if they decide to increase genspeed - Perks and also Map layout specifially.
Well they have to fix SOMETHING, and fixing something in a game as complicated as this all but guarantees you'll have to modify something else to accommodate.
Just because other things have to be modified to compensate doesn't mean they shouldn't do it.
More fun: Yes
Less stressful: Yes
More satisfying: No
Personally I feel like getting a win against a 4 man on haddofield is one of the most satisfying things. Like the match is stressful but winning with all that ######### stacked against you feels so nice.
Coal tower is one of the oldest maps in the game and was balanced when gen speed was base 100s. It's hard to unbalance a map when it's basically the training mode map.
On the other hand you have maps like Shelter Woods, Temple of Purgation, and RPD which are massive. Shelter Woods is another old map that existed in the longer gen time era and despite it's size it felt pretty balanced. Now with base 80s time the amount of distance one needs to travel along with the loops being on the longer side time could easily not be on your side unless a team three gens themselves. What that map has going for it is that you can at least navigate it smoothly. as it is mostly just surface level. Things can get a bit eh on Temple of Purgation's tilesets cause of underground gens.
To address perks, genspeed perks for survivors rarely ever get adjusted, but the base gen speeds and gen related killer perks have all been adjusted multiple times. Usually for the worst except for Dying Light which is better now save for the 33% increase for the obsession.
Lethal Pursuer is a gift from god.
Make ruin just how all gens work when not being worked on and give survivors ds, bt and unbreakable as base kit.
Would be interesting to see what games looked like then at least, even if just for science.
Nah that's as if u ask killer to slow down with chasing and hooking
Slowing down gen repair speed DEFINITELY isn't the way to go; repairing gens is already boring as it is, it would just make survivors not want to play due to spending mins just repairing 1 gen.
I suggest finding piles of scrap and carrying it to gens as an alternative. Then figure out how to slow it down from there, so that survivors aren't sitting in one spot repairing a gen and actually have a risk of being found by the killer and being chased leading to both sides having fun.
We can't slow down, the clock is ticking and we have to get as many gens done as possible while the first hooked survivor is being camped to death lol.
The same could be said of killers. Sometimes I wish they'd just chill a bit. I got in a match today on the Raccoon map and I really wanted to explore it a bit. No such luck. The killer slaughtered us.
Sometimes killer could slowdown a bit too. In high ranks survivors and killers are doing everything as fast as they can.
Some matches are very unbalanced due to that. Be it ######### RNG, bad map for one side or simply matchmaking pairs 5000 hour killer with the team of 300 hour survivors and vise versa.
But making players slow down organically without changing maps, ranking system or fundamentals of game design is probably not even possible.
Maybe casual game mode or changing how emblems work and reward players would work