Do chat filters change your behaviour?

I have noticed something with myself that i would like to bring up here. I usually are respectfull to my fellow gamers, because i dont like toxicity, and i see you as my playing partner, even if you play the opposite side.

But the invention of the chat filters are horrible. Because i cant even talk about ingame stuff in the after game chat normaly (because its blurred out), i started using strong language i would normaly never use, knowing it would be blured out and nobody would know if i was using such words or game terms anyway.

I wonder if others have the same problem.

Comments

  • No, because that seems bizarre to me. If I didn't swear before, why would I do it now that it's "not allowed"?

  • Only in that I actually use chat speak, to either get around the censorship or to show that I’m joking (lol) and not trying to be a dick.

  • I'm on xbox so that didn't effect me at all

  • @Orion said:

    No, because that seems bizarre to me. If I didn't swear before, why would I do it now that it's "not allowed"?

    That's funny, because that way of thinking caught my attention.

    I've seen similar way of someone arguing when they stated if violence wasn't a crime he would keep hurting other people. And the exact same argument with religion, if it wasn't a sin, they would do nasty stuff.


    I guess rules override some people's sense of morality due to a potential punishment.


    Personally, nothing has changed in how I act in the chat if at all.

  • I think its because i get angry when i can´t express myself because i cant use ingame terminology, but knowing that it makes no difference to anyone else, i voice this frustation more freely, knowing that noone will see it anyway.

    I wouldnt do it if i could actually offend someone with it. Its like playing a game where you kill other people, but would never use violence in real life.

  • @sulaiman said:

    I have noticed something with myself that i would like to bring up here. I usually are respectfull to my fellow gamers, because i dont like toxicity, and i see you as my playing partner, even if you play the opposite side.

    But the invention of the chat filters are horrible. Because i cant even talk about ingame stuff in the after game chat normaly (because its blurred out), i started using strong language i would normaly never use, knowing it would be blured out and nobody would know if i was using such words or game terms anyway.

    I wonder if others have the same problem.

    The game will blur a normal conversation but straight up ignores some curses and slurs.

  • I don't think it's working as intented yet. there are words being blocked that shouldn't be.

  • @sulaiman said:

    I think its because i get angry when i can´t express myself because i cant use ingame terminology, but knowing that it makes no difference to anyone else, i voice this frustation more freely, knowing that noone will see it anyway.

    I wouldnt do it if i could actually offend someone with it. Its like playing a game where you kill other people, but would never use violence in real life.

    That seems even weirder to me. I wouldn't waste my fingers typing something that nobody can read.

  • It´s just funny because most endgame chats look like this nowadays:

    :# # # # # # # # # # # #?

    :# # # #! # # # # # ####?

    :# # # #

    I don´t think many people changed their behavior, but who could tell anyways? They could remove it altogether honestly :D

  • @FengisKawaii said:

    It´s just funny because most endgame chats look like this nowadays:

    :# # # # # # # # # # # #?

    :# # # #! # # # # # ####?

    :# # # #

    I don´t think many people changed their behavior, but who could tell anyways? They could remove it altogether honestly :D

    The issue is I've tried talking about matches and it gets blurred and people lose their [BAD WORD] thinking I'm f*ing them out of it when I said something about "downs" and "kill her". even "insta" is blocked so a sentence like "sorry for killing her with Insta downs" looks like I've lost it...

  • I never used anything that would be censored before, and still don't. Although, I have seen a lot of other players still use censored words even though no one can see them. So I suppose it just depends on the player.

  • Nope, I don't like talking in the endgame chat, I usually drop a gg then dip

  • Nope. I have end game chat disabled as it serves no purpose but to allow people with SDE to harass/degrade others. Not having to see the inane comments from people has made my DBD experience much better.

  • I don't see the point of chat filters when you can just turn off chat itself. Not to mention if someone wants to get you tilted in chat, a censor isn't going to stop them.