Not gonna vote because you didn't add it as an option but this is how it works. Once you've played enough, almost none of the killers are scary, the few exceptions are Michael and Ghostface (with sometimes Pig and Spirit) when they hit you and you weren't expecting it. That's it, basically a cheap jumpscare is the only time the game's scary after maybe 10 hours of play at most on survivor.
Enough exposure to the game and all 'scary' elements of the game, stop being scary. I was afraid of Doctor and Hag when I started out. Now, I don't mind Doc and if anything, I just find Hag annoying. Sure, a surprise Hag trap can make me jump but I'm not afraid of the Hag, I was just startled by her suddenly appearing. It's like when a sibling suddenly jumps out from a corner and yells 'BOO'. You're not afraid of your sibling (Or at least, you shouldn't be) but you probably would be startled by them suddenly jumping out when you weren't expecting it.
There's a bunch of scenarios in which DbD suddenly becomes #########-your-pants scary. Like seeing Plague go behind a wall mid-chase only to hear a certain global notification.
The game used to be scary when I started to play it, but not anymore. Of course, that is to be expected. As you experience a horror-related thing again and again, you become more accustomed to it and the feeling of terror diminishes.
I am not scared of the killers at all in fact i encorage them to be scared of me by bullying them with a flashlight saboteur 180ing looping and blending with my p3 Blendette and upload the footage on youtube to show people it takes little to turn a killer from aha im ganna get you all :D to im going to down this Claudette only Claudette and smack her on hook til she dies as soon as the round starts i try to find the killer which everybody tells me not to but it works out :D
Not gonna vote because you didn't add it as an option but this is how it works. Once you've played enough, almost none of the killers are scary, the few exceptions are Michael and Ghostface (with sometimes Pig and Spirit) when they hit you and you weren't expecting it. That's it, basically a cheap jumpscare is the only time the game's scary after maybe 10 hours of play at most on survivor.
First time loading into Midwich and Hawkins (took a break didn't even know such a map existed) was scary. Midwich more than Hawkins, aaaaalot of ambient sounds on those maps. Only once tho. Then the 2nd to ~10th time was just pure confusion, now they're just like any other map.
No but like most things, once you've had enough exposure to it then it's no longer scary. I do wish it had a more unsettling atmosphere in general like you see in the silent hill map or the house in the new Thompson house.
It can be tense and I’m occasionally jump scared by killers and/or survivors, but otherwise once you’ve put 200 hours into it, it’s not scary anymore. Nothing is after that long.
Tldr: This is an archived version of the DBD forum, it has all posts, comments and media. The archived data will be published at the end of October. This site is not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Behaviour Interactive.
Comments
Not gonna vote because you didn't add it as an option but this is how it works. Once you've played enough, almost none of the killers are scary, the few exceptions are Michael and Ghostface (with sometimes Pig and Spirit) when they hit you and you weren't expecting it. That's it, basically a cheap jumpscare is the only time the game's scary after maybe 10 hours of play at most on survivor.
I can't even say the game was even designed to be "scary" per se, it just has a horror "theme"
It used to be. At least a little bit.
I used to find it scary, But not anymore.
Specific killers. they took away spoopy maps so you know
When I first started it was but that quickly wears off when you figure out what this games all about.
The Cannibal right behind me with his chainsaw is the scariest thing in the game for me; even moreso than The Hillbilly with his chainsaw.
Enough exposure to the game and all 'scary' elements of the game, stop being scary. I was afraid of Doctor and Hag when I started out. Now, I don't mind Doc and if anything, I just find Hag annoying. Sure, a surprise Hag trap can make me jump but I'm not afraid of the Hag, I was just startled by her suddenly appearing. It's like when a sibling suddenly jumps out from a corner and yells 'BOO'. You're not afraid of your sibling (Or at least, you shouldn't be) but you probably would be startled by them suddenly jumping out when you weren't expecting it.
There's a bunch of scenarios in which DbD suddenly becomes #########-your-pants scary. Like seeing Plague go behind a wall mid-chase only to hear a certain global notification.
The game used to be scary when I started to play it, but not anymore. Of course, that is to be expected. As you experience a horror-related thing again and again, you become more accustomed to it and the feeling of terror diminishes.
it has it in its design and art direction, but once you remember you can beat the most horrifying of monsters by running in a circle it sort of fades
I am not scared of the killers at all in fact i encorage them to be scared of me by bullying them with a flashlight saboteur 180ing looping and blending with my p3 Blendette and upload the footage on youtube to show people it takes little to turn a killer from aha im ganna get you all :D to im going to down this Claudette only Claudette and smack her on hook til she dies as soon as the round starts i try to find the killer which everybody tells me not to but it works out :D
The scariest thing about this game is how the grind still needs changing
A little bit without Spine Chill against stealth killers or undetectable perks.
Hag jumpscares lead to games against her specifically being extra tense for me.
Well, just the survivors for me.
The fact that Pyramid Head can be bullied by people like Feng is just... unnatural.
I am close to 6000 hours. A game is not scary anymore after a few dozen hours. So, no, not at all.
But it was very scary when I started playing. Sometimes I miss this feeling, however, there is no way something stays scary for so long.
(Aside from Jumpscares, those still happen from time to time, but I dont consider Jumpscares scary)
After a while its just not scary anymore. But its ok bc i never played it for that.
I’d say that was about right
First time loading into Midwich and Hawkins (took a break didn't even know such a map existed) was scary. Midwich more than Hawkins, aaaaalot of ambient sounds on those maps. Only once tho. Then the 2nd to ~10th time was just pure confusion, now they're just like any other map.
Some killers are more then others, specifically stealth killers who can actually jump scare you
it was very scary when I was new but not so much. The only time when I do get scared is when I'm the last survivor against a stealthy killer.
Hasnt been since my first like 10 hours
No but like most things, once you've had enough exposure to it then it's no longer scary. I do wish it had a more unsettling atmosphere in general like you see in the silent hill map or the house in the new Thompson house.
It can be tense and I’m occasionally jump scared by killers and/or survivors, but otherwise once you’ve put 200 hours into it, it’s not scary anymore. Nothing is after that long.