Are map offerings a good thing?

I was playing killer yesterday and getting hit hard with the offerings, there was one for gideon, followed by one for red forest (I lost the coin flip and got mother's dwelling, fortunately I was a demo and didn't have to spend half the match waddling from one distant gen to another) and so on.

Certain map offerings can be even more infuriating as survivor - you know how you wait ages for a queue, then a wild strode key appears and the match mysteriously never starts? Or it does actually start and you get tunnelled off hook because the killer seems to be in an uncharitable mood for some reason?

They definitely have purposes which aren't all bad, without them you might never see scratched mirror Myers, a lot of survivors also like to run hawkins offerings when there's a pallet stun challenge and I actually like that map on both sides (and it isn't exactly giving them a competitive advantage unless you're a billy or something). They're also nice right after a map has been introduced or reworked and you want to see it.

But does their positives outweigh the negatives? I have a ton of map offerings on both sides that I'm never going to use, and just think of all the nice green things I could have instead. Decent killer addons, decent flashlights and medkits, bloody party streamers, even the legendary and mysterious green key.

So I'd be happy enough if map offerings were just binned. Or potentially disabled until every map is generally considered balanced, which is functionally the same thing. Anyone else feel the same?

Comments

  • Honestly wouldn't be against scrapping them, they offer one side way too much power, nothing is stopping a survivor from burning a Haddonfield offering and nothing is stopping a trick blades Trickster from burning a Hawkins offering

    Well, there's the sacrificial ward, like anyone actually uses that

  • The feeling you have towards Map Offerings is because there isn't a single Map where you can say damn this map is fantastic to play in for both sides and the fact that there's RNG involved in the Maps wich makes them a coin flip on wether or not you're gonna get screwed by the Game itself.

  • I think there are just too much of them and they make the other green rarity offerings rarer just by existing. Give them their own rarity class in the bloodwebs.

    as for specific maps: Haddonfield and Red Forest are still about to get their graphical reworks and will probably both get some adjustments because they are known to be survivor sided..

  • @lemonsway said:

    The feeling you have towards Map Offerings is because there isn't a single Map where you can say damn this map is fantastic to play in for both sides and the fact that there's RNG involved in the Maps wich makes them a coin flip on wether or not you're gonna get screwed by the Game itself.

    Especially since the reworks there's a lot of maps/realms I'm happy to go to for either side but most map offerings I see/have seen are the miserable ones, i.e.

    a lot of Ormond/coldwind/crotus penn (before reworks)

    Gideon (post-rework)

    The rare but terrible blendette squad with a yamaoka offering

    Midwich especially with old object

    Red forest and of course the eternal misery that is haddonfield

  • The problem with these offerings is, that maps in this game are heavily unbalanced.

    Getting Badham randomly as a killer is bad but you can live with it. But when you know survivors used offering to get you there? They don't care about your fun, all they want is easy game.

    Goes both ways of course. But the point is, being able to get big advantage just by using green offering, which everyone have dozens of them, its just unfair.

    Delete map offerings from the game or at least make them pink rarity.

  • I'd say they're only an issue because of map balance issues. If you can make the maps overall mostly balanced for both sides, then map offerings really shouldn't be a problem.

  • Only killers should be able to play map offerings.

  • @malloymk said:

    Only killers should be able to play map offerings.

    Yea, no.

    The last thing I want is to verse Boring Myers on Hawkins or Lery's without Spine Chill.

    And you God know it those Myers Will only use these map offerings for their builds or not play with scratched mirror at all.


    I'm all for scrapping map offerings or granting making the "no map offerings allowes" offering brown instead, so it can be spammed.

  • The biggest problem is that maps are not balanced. Its ok if you can get a indoormap for stealth killer or a map where you can use Balance landing often, but maps where the other side can give up if the matchmaking would work shouldnt be possible.

    Another problem is that with new maps there will be more map offerings which use a green bloodweb slot. On the other side you need a map offering more, bc it gets harder to get one map without it.

  • They are a really bad mechanic imo. Being sent to a certain map because the survivor/ killer said so is annoying.

  • The problem is that map selection is its a secret, unless you use an offering. Its really stupid but the kind of stupid that DBD thrives on. Let the killer and survivor prepare for the map instead of the person with the offering.

  • I don't mind them. I never get hit with them that much. In fact I use them more than get hit by it. Maybe its just me but I use them because I like how a map looks. Like I choose Midwich a lot because I like SH. I'm not really competitive like a lot of people. I mean this is a game where you play as Michael Myers murdering Quentin. It should be all for fun.

  • Its annoying because no offense to survivors but theirs shouldnt be the same percentage as killers. For instance were in a 4 man. We can do a all haddonfield week because i have 15. Another friend of mine has 12. Another has 14. And the last one has 20 (balanced landing lol). 61 haddonfields basically. Then as killer i can avoid it by using a sacrificial ward. But if noone actually burns a offering i wasted a sacrifical ward. Which is already 1 green out of how many?

  • @Mooks said:

    I think there are just too much of them and they make the other green rarity offerings rarer just by existing. Give them their own rarity class in the bloodwebs.

    as for specific maps: Haddonfield and Red Forest are still about to get their graphical reworks and will probably both get some adjustments because they are known to be survivor sided..

    Oooo i like that idea ive never heard that suggestion before

    Also yeah hopefully the devs will finally fix Haddonfield and maybe make red forest smaller.

  • Tbh, they are mostly used for toxic intents.

    Can't tell me that every Survivor coincidentally likes Ormond and Haddonfield because of looks. Unless they like paper trees and Uran-powered fences.

    They could get rid of them and I wouldn't care. Less junk in my Bloodweb and more BPS.