You are not addicted - you are just lazy
I was asking myself: Why do i come back to a game, that is time to time so frustrating? I thought i was kinda of addicted, but no, i am just lazy.
If you start any other game, you have to learn everything new. New difficulty, new controls, collectible guides because you don't wan to miss out on something, new npcs etc.
The brain wants to preserve energy. Playing something that you know in and out, requires less energy and is less a chore as something that you have to learn from scratch.
The next trial is another gamble if it's fun for you or not, but it's still better than starting a new game where you don't know the basics. It's wired in our brains.
I am a lazy #########. I have to break the habit. It's not fun.
Comments
It's not purely about starting a new game. It's finding another game you find entertaining enough to want to play, beginner or not.
First impressions can be a big determiner in whether or not you will continue playing a game. For me, I was not off put when I started playing DBD and I subsequently continued to play. I was off put by Valorant, and I struggle to play it. I'm not lazy because I don't want to learn it, but I simply am very disinterested, and borderline dislike the game. Same applies to many other games.
Not being interested =/= lazy.
That may be the case for you, but addiction is a real issue and games like DbD prey on the loop created by the gameplay and grind.
To be quite honest, I can't imagine any company designing a game not wanting it to be addictive in some capacity. They want people to play the game as much as possible for profit.
The brain can become addicted to virtually anything, no matter how innocuous it may seem, though some companies take it one step further to intentionally make their product as addictive as possible. Sugar, for instance, is quite addictive, and it's one of the reasons why it's in many foods.
Non-monetised games aren't like that. I've yet to pick up a title with not microtransactions that had tailored addictive qualities.
I think those addicted to this game come on here day in and day out whining about what happens in it. I am frustrated just as much as the next player and toxic people playing who justify their toxic actions all the time. I have found this game some what addicting because you play with others and when it works,,,I mean when you get a good team, and it all gels, you get a really good hit and the brain craves that. In the obverse when you get a really bad team you want to throw the remote/keyboard with some of the dumb sh*t you see. I run solo survivor so I get the best of both worlds.
I have played through over 10 games in the last months and the only hard part was always the start. It's like everything in me repels the idea from beginning something new.
Depends for me personally. Honestly, I can't think of any game that I've played extensively where I had to "suffer" through the beginning. it was basically I liked it from the beginning. if I didn't like the game then I didn't like the beginning. Simple as that.
The only game I recently kind of forced myself to play was Undertale because a friend was playing it. i found the beginning to be really mediocre and normally I would have just dropped it but I played the entire game. The result of my overall thoughts of the game and its story: mediocre. So nothing changed. But everyone's different.
I play new games all the time, I just come back to DBD a lot. Sure it's frustrating, and at times I really HATE it, but I still like it.
I love starting new games. I have a really hard time finishing them though...
Edit: I'll pay almost anything. Usually rpgs. Basically any anime themed game. Even if it looks kinda bad. Except non-Mario themed sports games and most FPS. I play overwatch a lot ever now and then.
I have zero problems with picking up new games, but Dead By Daylight definitely has its own niche and experience. So no, it's not laziness. If anything, I pick up new games too often.
I did see some Ohmwrecker footage of Home Sweet Home, but that looks way more frantic than tense. And I don't like that.
Maybe for you. A lot of us are addicted to this game because of the grind. You stop playing DbD and all that time you spent getting bloodpoints and cosmetics will have gone to waste and you don't want to see your work 'gone'. Why do you think the grind is so obscenely high? Because it's addicting to make progress towards an end goal that's constantly shifting the goalposts backwards with each new DLC (new killer and survivor to get to P3 all perks, 3 new perks to get on every killer and survivor each perk having 3 tiers, new add-ons to grind for...). BHVR knows it's addicting, and they continue to do nothing about it because they know people are addicted.
Exactly this is the same issue with dbd, ts to damn addicting