With the amount of "TOXIC" posts, Lets discuss this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrSJ8AX4j3U&t=356s
I was reading a post and one of the comments was something along the lines of "well you played scummy so you deserve the trash talk". That instantly reminded me of this.
The way you play a video game (casually at that) doesnt make harrassing someone via DM ok. I dont know if people need to hear that or what.....Dont try and justify sending DMs because you got camped tunneled looped t bagged
Comments
So to be clear... Toxic is overly used for this community... There are games out there that has way more offensive language then this game.
However, trash talking someone is fine in a game... However it should remain in game... Messaging someone out of game is differently to much.
Lastly just to be clear... Trash talking is okay... being racist, homophobic, sexist, etc... Thats not okay under any means... But calling someone ######### because they tunneled you in a game, as long as its in the in game chat... I approve.
Yeah thats why I said DM, you can just leave and not deal with the chat after...but there is also a fine line between trash talk and harrassing someone
Naw I totally get that... I love a little trash talk to me or from me.
Going into someones DM's is unacceptable though. And even if you are going to be such a horrible person, messaging them racist, homophobic, sexist, etc stuff NEEDS to be a hard no.
I saw this. No other gaming community seeks out your profile to leave rage messages.
that meme makes no sense.
I mean Rocket League as gotten me Swatted twice...
Sooooo, that's not true. LOL
Both calling people things that are uncalled for and going in their DMs are atrocious and toxic. I find those two be two separate issues that can be stacked, but I wouldn't accept one or the other. A killer killing people in DbD isn't racist/homophobic, its their objective, and accusing such is awful. And going into a player's personal space to harass them on gameplay I think should have consequences as well.
Coming from the topic where someone said "you deserve the trash talk if you play toxic", I think it's just a matter of context. There's a number of people here on the forums who think that facecamping or slugging people is so poor of a way to play, that they're not deserving of respect, and that playing that way is toxic in of itself. By the same token, there's also people that say that it's up to the survivors to play better and that facecamping is a valid strategy by BHVR.
It's a discussion where opinions are agree to disagree I think, because killers and survivors will play how they play. But imo, calling someone racist/sexist or going into DMs or steam profiles to tell off your killer is unacceptable regardless of opinion.
Man, this is kind of off-topic, but your post reminded me of something. I remember back in the late 2000's early 2010's when I played a bit of LoL, the word "toxic," started blowing up. I had been gaming for years and never saw it up to that point and suddenly, everything was "toxic." It really annoyed me back then and it's crazy how much things have progressed since then. Just looking at how people are nowadays, its crazy to think that "toxic," was just the beginning. Everyone is constantly labeling people: toxic, hateful, racist, sexist, etc.
I miss the days when idiots were just idiots, regardless of why, and we just moved on with our lives.
It just seems to me to be so self-destructive to get this upset on so many levels.
You can't control how other people play. So getting upset at how they play is such a waste of time because ultimately it won't change anything. The only person you're hurting is yourself by allowing yourself to get so worked up over it.
Look, I understand a game can be frustrating - FFS man I'm masochistic enough to not only play this game, but things like Dark Souls and Monster Hunter. I know that a game can just "Get your goat" and make you mad.
But some of these people need to wake up and be aware enough that maybe, just maybe, they need to just not play the game they think they want to play because they just aren't in the right mental place for it at that moment.
This is why I may play DBD no more than once a week in a 3 or 4 hour session - because I ask myself before even starting up the game if I'm in the right mind to play it.
And often, due to the stresses of life I have to tell myself "No, I am not". And after each match, I have to ask if I am ready for another one, if I respect my opponent enough to keep going. If at any time I start feeling that seething disdain or rage, or find myself thinking angrily back on the LAST match - I know it's time to call it a night and put the game down.
This goes for any game. I ask myself how chill do I want the game to be... and let's face it - dbd is not a game I play if I want a chill game because it's competitive multiplay... you can't guarantee a chill game when there is several other primates in the game you have no control over.
It's basically all modern activist fighting for "justice" communities which claim to be fighting against labeling and stereotypes by labeling and stereotyping people.
Only thing that makes someone "deserve" trash talk in my opinion, is if they trash talk themselves. And no, I don't count vile garbage like threats and slurs as "trash talk", I'm talking the usual lol ur bad ggez kinda stuff. Even then it's less about deserving and more about they better not start seething if they get some thrown back at them.
Because if someone's dishing that out and they can't take it when they're on the recieving end, I have absolutely zero sympathy for them.
Lol Dbd has got nothing on League, but its the same response Be an adult. It takes two for the "chat" to work. If you care what somebody from God knows where wants to type, get off the internet. Doesn't matter what they say just close the chat. TOXIC has become a word for 12 year olds who can't articulate their thoughts and feelings.