Let's talk Iron Will and sounds for a sec

Is it just me or is Iron Will too strong for how loud the chase music and killer sounds are in this game? When I play as Wraith or Hag their chatter is so loud I can't hear the Iron Will gamer's foot steps or grass moving. Demo, Oni, and Twins foot steps overpower almost any other ambient noise. Masked killers breathing is louder than almost all ambient noise. And to top it off some maps ambient sounds are louder than many actions Midwich, Hawkins, and Dead Dogg being the worst.

Also, why does Nurse have footstep sounds? She is literally hovering two feet off the ground....

*Edit for addition*

Also has anyone noticed some maps are so loud you can't even hear the terror radius approaching on killers without M&A?

Comments

  • iron will is indeed really ######### strong.

    but for some reason lucky break is the one with a timer...


    Also, why does Nurse have footstep sounds? She is literally hovering two feet off the ground....

    she does?

  • @Alice_pbg said:

    iron will is indeed really ######### strong.

    but for some reason lucky break is the one with a timer...

    Also, why does Nurse have footstep sounds? She is literally hovering two feet off the ground....

    she does?

    Play her on Swamp and Red Forest with the squishy sounds added and you'll hear distinct goot prints. I've also noticed it on grass heavy maps, it's not a rustling grass sound but an actual footsteps in grass sound.

  • I'm personally fine with Iron Will. The only problem I have is it tends to bug sounds even more and make whoever's running it completely silent, unless I'm running Stridor. Like, no footsteps. No breathing. No anything.

    And before someone tells me that's what it does- No, it isn't. Iron Will is only supposed to silence the grunts of pain. Not the breathing, or any other noise. If it is supposed to do this, the perk text needs to be updated.

  • In my opinion, they should rework both Iron Will and Spirit at the same time.

  • Iron Will is pretty damn unfair with the current sound and tracking issues, however that's less because of Iron Will being strong (although it shouldn't remove all breathing sounds the moment you are injured, it should just play the healthy ones), and more of an issue with what even are the Devs thinking, they've made scratchmarks useless except as general information, but also footsteps and blood are either unreliable or worthless because in this world, killers are deaf to heavy footfalls and thick red fluids phase through grass. And also blend in quite well with most of the darker earth tones.

    These are not buffs to Predator, Stridor and Bloodhound, Devs, this is just terrible design. You can't just remove all non-direct-LoS tracking tools and claim it's to allow for more opportunities for survivors to get away, in a game where killers already struggle heavily without playing Spirit or Freddy with all the good stuff.

  • What's amazing to me is how loud survivor footsteps are when you're playing survivor, and how loud the breathing/running is. But when you play killer you just can't hear anything. Whether it be the developers being horrible with sound, bugs, chase music or killer effects that blow your ears out vs others (Nurse, Chainsaws, PLAGUE)

    It's always been horrible and Iron Will is one of those ridiculously strong perks that no one complains about because it'll never be changed. Most people don't understand why it is as good as it is and a lot of people just don't use it.

  • Yea Iron Will shouldn't mute breathing sounds like it currently does.

  • Can we not nerf iron will please. Ita one of the only counters against stridor spirit and nerfing that would make her too powerful.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    Can we not nerf iron will please. Ita one of the only counters against stridor spirit and nerfing that would make her too powerful.

    I'm not advocating for nerfing it, I'm advocating for fixing sound issues and/or toning back the loud ass ambient sounds that drown out and cover up tracking an injured survivor.

  • @JHondo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009566#Comment_2009566

    I'm not advocating for nerfing it, I'm advocating for fixing sound issues and/or toning back the loud ass ambient sounds that drown out and cover up tracking an injured survivor.

    Oh ok. Well to be honest I don't think I have experienced sound bugs or at least notice them. Shouldn't they have fixed it already? How long had they been in the game?

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/233750/lets-talk-iron-will-and-sounds-for-a-sec

    Nurse main here. She doesn't have footsteps. It's actually her dress dragging on the ground.

    Odd that would be a thing considering all but three of her cosmetics sit above her feet... Not saying you're wrong but it's a peculiar and unnecessary design choice.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009572#Comment_2009572

    Oh ok. Well to be honest I don't think I have experienced sound bugs or at least notice them. Shouldn't they have fixed it already? How long had they been in the game?

    Sounds have been messed up for a very, very long time. They seem to ######### up in a new way every patch.

  • @NomiNomad said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009576#Comment_2009576

    Sounds have been messed up for a very, very long time. They seem to ######### up in a new way every patch.

    Well how often are they reported? If they were reported all the time they should have fixed it by now

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009581#Comment_2009581

    Well how often are they reported? If they were reported all the time they should have fixed it by now

    They're constantly reported. And when they do get fixed the next patch breaks sounds again and they're reported again. And again. And again

  • @JHondo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009584#Comment_2009584

    They're constantly reported. And when they do get fixed the next patch breaks sounds again and they're reported again. And again. And again

    So the cycle continues.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009581#Comment_2009581

    Well how often are they reported? If they were reported all the time they should have fixed it by now

    I'd imagine they're reported quite a lot. They just haven't been fixed. The prime example I can think of is the silent slug bug, where a dying Survivor is just totally silent and has been in the game for over a year. I haven't experienced it lately, but I also haven't been playing much. The last time it happened to me was about two and a half months ago, I think. The Survivor wasn't even running Iron Will.

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009580#Comment_2009580

    It is unnecessary. However, that is what the noise is, and it's been in the game since nurse came out.

    Good to know. Still a stupid ######### design choice for a killer who wanders around two feet in the air with a dress that sits abiver her bare feet.

  • The chase music is just too loud period. Iron Will has nothing to do with it.

    Also Nurse doesn't have footsteps. She floats. What you are hearing is her feet dragging across tall grass.

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009593#Comment_2009593

    Yeah, but it isn't like it hinders her, so I don't really mind it.

    It's out of place and distracting to me, but that probably because it's so loud when you're not in a chase

  • @JHondo said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009526#Comment_2009526

    Play her on Swamp and Red Forest with the squishy sounds added and you'll hear distinct goot prints. I've also noticed it on grass heavy maps, it's not a rustling grass sound but an actual footsteps in grass sound.

    Well the sound of moving through the reeds themselves does make sense as she is moving them, just not at ground level, but the footsteps, yeah absolutely not.

  • @Shoottokill_Shinsou said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009600#Comment_2009600

    Ah, I see. When I play nurse, I'm either in fatigue, charging up a blink, or blinking. I don't hold W, ever. So I never really hear it ๐Ÿ˜†

    I've found with Nurse a lot of times at jungle gyms especially survivors will mind game themselves and run right into me after I've broken chase. I also like to walk a lot in the beginning of the match so I can get a surprise hit in or potentially a grab before they know I'm a Nurse.

  • If you play on PC, get Equlizer APO. It's both free and it's amazing. (Here's is the link Equalizer APO download | SourceForge.net)


    It is really easy to tune to your liking, and you can easily amplify a specific frequency band (for example: boosting sounds made by survivors, which I'm guessing would be much higher on the spectrum than TR)

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    Can we not nerf iron will please. Ita one of the only counters against stridor spirit and nerfing that would make her too powerful.

    I think we should still nerf it. What we need instead of keeping iron will is reworking the spirit instead of keeping iron will as a sort of band-aid fix.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009581#Comment_2009581

    Well how often are they reported? If they were reported all the time they should have fixed it by now

    Keep in mind that it took BHVR 5+ years to come out with colorblind settings, I wouldn't get my hopes up for them to actually do much good for their game.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009584#Comment_2009584

    Keep in mind that it took BHVR 5+ years to come out with colorblind settings, I wouldn't get my hopes up for them to actually do much good for their game.

    Also keep in mind, they only did the colorblind settings because of a controversy.

    Don't believe their lies about "working on it for months". They weren't.

    The sound bugs are staying.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009566#Comment_2009566

    I think we should still nerf it. What we need instead of keeping iron will is reworking the spirit instead of keeping iron will as a sort of band-aid fix.

    Rework the spirit how?

  • @WTBacon said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009647#Comment_2009647

    Also keep in mind, they only did the colorblind settings because of a controversy.

    Don't believe their lies about "working on it for months". They weren't.

    The sound bugs are staying.

    Oh, believe me, the second I read "we have been working on it for months" I was immediately skeptical.

  • A good idea that I heard from the community-made patch compiled by otz was to make her show glimpses of herself each second or so when she is phasing. To me, that sounds awesome and fits her design as a ghosty kind of killer and wouldn't exactly ruin her power. It could probably use some tweaks though.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009649#Comment_2009649

    A good idea that I heard from the community-made patch compiled by otz was to make her show glimpses of herself each second or so when she is phasing. To me, that sounds awesome and fits her design as a ghosty kind of killer and wouldn't exactly ruin her power. It could probably use some tweaks though.

    Not a bad idea. And with this change it would prompt the devs to nerf iron will.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009652#Comment_2009652

    Not a bad idea. And with this change it would prompt the devs to nerf iron will.

    I honestly think iron will is borderline unfair since it completely removes a tracking option for killers, and the survivors don't even do anything to earn it. I think a 25% nerf would be nice and is definitely not bad at all. They could crouch away and make almost no noise and it would teach survivors to make use of the environment to get away from the killer. For example, with 75% noise reduction (lvl 2 iron will) a survivor can hide pretty well near a generator that has at least 15% progress on it (because of the noise muffling the injured survivor) and completely muffle them in lockers.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009655#Comment_2009655

    I honestly think iron will is borderline unfair since it completely removes a tracking option for killers, and the survivors don't even do anything to earn it. I think a 25% nerf would be nice and is definitely not bad at all. They could crouch away and make almost no noise and it would teach survivors to make use of the environment to get away from the killer. For example, with 75% noise reduction (lvl 2 iron will) a survivor can hide pretty well near a generator that has at least 15% progress on it (because of the noise muffling the injured survivor) and completely muffle them in lockers.

    Yeah But there are other tracking tools like blood and scratch marks, as well as an assortment of killer perks that make tracking survivors easier. And I don't think it's right to have every perk require that you do something to get the effect.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009660#Comment_2009660

    Yeah But there are other tracking tools like blood and scratch marks, as well as an assortment of killer perks that make tracking survivors easier. And I don't think it's right to have every perk require that you do something to get the effect.

    The thing is perks that disable the other two forms of tracking are very limited. Imagine if iron will for some reason made scratch marks disappear almost immediately, that doesn't sound too fair right?

    The only reason those types of perks are bad is because they are situational and limited (take poised for example). Iron will is so strong because it lasts forever, and doesn't require any special condition to activate, it just activates when injured. There isn't a single killer perk that completely takes out any aspect of gameplay for survivors, yet survivors have iron will which completely removes an option for tracking on the killer side.

    I think iron will should only dramatically reduce noises made by being injured by 75% because that seems perfect since it doesn't completely take away its stealth potential, but it doesn't make it non-existent for the killer.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009670#Comment_2009670

    The thing is perks that disable the other two forms of tracking are very limited. Imagine if iron will for some reason made scratch marks disappear almost immediately, that doesn't sound too fair right?

    The only reason those types of perks are bad is because they are situational and limited (take poised for example). Iron will is so strong because it lasts forever, and doesn't require any special condition to activate, it just activates when injured. There isn't a single killer perk that completely takes out any aspect of gameplay for survivors, yet survivors have iron will which completely removes an option for tracking on the killer side.

    I think iron will should only dramatically reduce noises made by being injured by 75% because that seems perfect since it doesn't completely take away its stealth potential, but it doesn't make it non-existent for the killer.

    Well what about stridor? Arguably iron wills equivalent is stridor so any changes to iron will you would most likely have to stridor wouldn't you?

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009676#Comment_2009676

    Well what about stridor? Arguably iron wills equivalent is stridor so any changes to iron will you would most likely have to stridor wouldn't you?

    Stridor doesn't completely take away stealth for survivors though. Stridor only makes it harder. Survivors can still use lockers, finished generators, and iron will (it still works). It just buffs a killer's ability to use sound to find survivors without making it totally unfair for survivors. So no I don't think that we should change stridor with iron will.

  • Please leave Jake alone. He had two good perks and one awful one. Then he ended up with one good perk and two awful ones. He doesn't deserve to be pushed further into the darkness by making all his perks awful as he's already the only original cast member without a tome lore drop.

  • @JHondo said:

    Is it just me or is Iron Will too strong for how loud the chase music and killer sounds are in this game? When I play as Wraith or Hag their chatter is so loud I can't hear the Iron Will gamer's foot steps or grass moving. Demo, Oni, and Twins foot steps overpower almost any other ambient noise. Masked killers breathing is louder than almost all ambient noise. And to top it off some maps ambient sounds are louder than many actions Midwich, Hawkins, and Dead Dogg being the worst.

    Also, why does Nurse have footstep sounds? She is literally hovering two feet off the ground....

    *Edit for addition*

    Also has anyone noticed some maps are so loud you can't even hear the terror radius approaching on killers without M&A?

    ######### just run stridor if u cant hear them.

  • @Yords said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/2009683#Comment_2009683

    Stridor doesn't completely take away stealth for survivors though. Stridor only makes it harder. Survivors can still use lockers, finished generators, and iron will (it still works). It just buffs a killer's ability to use sound to find survivors without making it totally unfair for survivors. So no I don't think that we should change stridor with iron will.

    Ok then. I guess I'm convinced. Although it would need testing in order to be official.