Discussing ways to reduce overall toxicity in DBD

Wanted to discuss some ideas for quick fixes that could potentially help to reduce the toxicity of the game.

For Killers:

1.) Try removing hook smacking again. No more frustrating aim dressing hits at the hook for the killer, and the hooked survivor doesn't have to deal with the frustration of being a human pinata either. I'd recommend something for removing nodding but seeing as you need to look up or down to avoid flashlights... don't know how that would possibly work

2.) Try giving a 5k-10k bloodpoint bonus for dropping the last survivor near hatch/exit gates IF they get out with it (no points for being an ass and closing hatch in their face and then hooking. Hell, maybe negative points for that). It would generate so much goodwill in the community to just incentivize giving hatch. Yes, it doesn't make any sense in terms of lore. Neither do half of the other things in this game. How do Pyramid Head or Demo get flashlight blinded when they don't have eyes visible? Why don't other killers just close their eyes? It doesn't matter, it's a game mechanic, it doesn't need to make lore sense

For Survivors:

1.) Try removing ability to crouch/adding crouch cooldown in gate area once gate is opened. Extend it out radially far enough beyond gate entrance so anyone teabagging out there could get 2 tapped before getting to the exit. There would still be ways to work around this (coordinated swat body blocking) if you really wanted to be toxic, but it would cut down on the number of sore winners massively

2.) Only when in chase or within LOS of killer, clicking flashlight 3(?) or more times rapidly will deplete 20% of the battery. Number just needs to be high enough so that it's not something that would happen by accident

3.) Only when in chase or within LOS of killer, crouching 3 or more times within 1.5 seconds (or 5 times within 3 seconds, some reasonable #) gives you the hindered status effect for 3 seconds. Call it a pulled hammy status effect or whatever you want. A lot of people defend teabagging by saying that it's their way of saying hello to other survivors. If that's true, then this change wouldn't cause any problems for that scenario. You're not teabagging hello to each other when doing that right in the killer's face

4.) I guess you could make the argument that this all would just result in either emotes being used more often, or that people would just do really slow teabags. Firstly, that's probably subjective but I feel like more emote use would be a net improvement for reduced toxicity, even if it doesn't fully solve the problem. Secondly, slow teabags would look so stupid that I feel like the comedy factor would outweigh the toxicity

----------------------------------

What do you all think? Ridiculous? Not ridiculous enough? Any other ideas? Honestly, I feel like implementing any one of these changes would help reduce the toxicity in the game noticeably

TLDR: Ideas to reduce toxicity: Remove hook smacking, give BP bonus for killer giving hatch, remove teabagging ability when nearby open exit gates, add relatively minor penalties for flashlight clicking/teabagging only during chase or when within LOS of killer

Comments

  • i think adding a casual and a rank mode would be a interesting way, and blocking swfs of more than 2 on the ranked or casual mode

  • I mean we've had solutions suggested for just about every "toxicity" problem in the game; the problem is the devs don't really agree with any of them being problems or toxic.

    So they won't implement any changes surrounding them.

    We can still discuss the matter; but there won't be any action taken on anything unfortunately.

  • You are playing a game about murdering people but teabagging is what upsets you?

  • lol I was thinking this to myself today, after a survivor tea-bagged me upon his escape after I didn't camp or tunnel them on a really bad map. Could they just remove crouching in the exit gates?

    Then I thought, no, why introduce this complexity into the game (which could lead to more bugs) just because I got slightly annoyed some random person somewhere hit ctrl a few times.

    The trick to reducing toxicity is to not respond to it. If someone starts talking trash, just leave the lobby. If someone clicks their flashy or tea-bags at you, chase someone else, as they're likely to be an unproductive survivor anyway and will probably just continue trying to sap your attention.

    They're doing it for your reaction!

  • Force people to play both sides regularly.

    This would solve a LOT of problems.

  • @thesuicidefox said:

    Force people to play both sides regularly.

    This would solve a LOT of problems.

    Not sure about "forcing" but alternating dailies could help here (making the daily always be for a killer or survivor, and then alternate each day). Could also boost the daily rewards a bit too..

  • One thing I've thought of for survivors is having the use of perks restricted in the exit gate area. Essentially acting as a "get out now, or you're going on the hook" warning. Making it more risky to stay behind at the exit gate for the T - bags.

    I dunno, something along those lines would reduce the amount of second chances they have.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I mean we've had solutions suggested for just about every "toxicity" problem in the game; the problem is the devs don't really agree with any of them being problems or toxic.

    So they won't implement any changes surrounding them.

    We can still discuss the matter; but there won't be any action taken on anything unfortunately.

    Yeah, excellent point. I guess I just don't understand the rationale

    @SilentPill said:

    You are playing a game about murdering people but teabagging is what upsets you?

    Hah! Doesn't usually bother me but I know it does for some. Do you enjoy being camped and tunneled in a game about murdering people?

    @thesuicidefox said:

    Force people to play both sides regularly.

    This would solve a LOT of problems.

    Very true

  • Most people are toxic in a position of power. So better matchmaking could help against toxity.

  • @chieften333 said:

    One thing I've thought of for survivors is having the use of perks restricted in the exit gate area. Essentially acting as a "get out now, or you're going on the hook for your overconfidence"

    I dunno, something along those lines would reduce the amount of second chances they have.

    That would be fun. Maybe a blood warden buff. I do love running that perk, even though it's usually a wasted slot

  • @TicTac said:

    Most people are toxic in a position of power. So better matchmaking could help against toxity.

    This is pretty much the case.

    The problem is do to how DBD works and how it's player volume is not exactly huge; there is a lot of debate into how this would even be possible. The ranking as well as the matchmaking are both busted; you can have a red rank killer against red rank survivors of a lower rank but those survivors have thousands of hours more experience and are vastly better- just because once you hit red rank (and you WILL hit red rank) there is no where else to even go.

    Most people are toxic because they CAN be on top of winning; when it would get them killed they generally don't bother, heck a lot of them will DC when they are about to die after being toxic gets them killed. Which is hilarious as killer and not stressful unlike when they are chain blinding and dancing around you because they literally can do that and still win the game and they know it.

    We could make the rank matchups make sense some, but that is about all that can really be done....much more is not overly sustainable in this game unfortunately.

  • how to stop toxicity in dbd. End dead by daylight, or end humans.

  • @The_Bootie_Gorgon said:

    how to stop toxicity in dbd. End dead by daylight, or end humans.

    as long as humans are involved, there will be toxic ones.

  • @musstang62 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1864482#Comment_1864482

    Yeah, excellent point. I guess I just don't understand the rationale

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1864484#Comment_1864484

    Hah! Doesn't usually bother me but I know it does for some. Do you enjoy being camped and tunneled in a game about murdering people?

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1864494#Comment_1864494

    Very true

    I hardly play survivor anymore but I never minded being tunneled, unless it was by like a nurse or spirit.

    Getting chased is the most fun part of the game to me. That’s why I mainly play killer, since you are always doing something instead of having huge periods of repairing generators.

    I don’t think anything needs to be changed about the game. Nothing really toxic can happen if you turn off the endgame chat. The worst is some teabags at the exit gate or someone wasting a few minutes slugging you to death.

  • @SilentPill said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1864513#Comment_1864513

    I hardly play survivor anymore but I never minded being tunneled, unless it was by like a nurse or spirit.

    Getting chased is the most fun part of the game to me. That’s why I mainly play killer, since you are always doing something instead of having huge periods of repairing generators.

    I don’t think anything needs to be changed about the game. Nothing really toxic can happen if you turn off the endgame chat. The worst is some teabags at the exit gate or someone wasting a few minutes slugging you to death.

    Fair enough, appreciate the discussion. I usually don't mind getting tunneled either since I most likely made a potato play to end up in that situation, but I can see how it would get frustrating after awhile. Definitely agree that survivor is a lot more boring outside of chase

  • Toxicity is hard because it's the player... not the game

    Having EGC start when the gates are powered is the best way to deal with the survivors who teabag at the gates for "too long"

    And to those who have complaints just look at some perks that can be used after the gates are powered:

    NOED, Remember me, Rancor

    Adrenaline, Hope, Wake up

    And now look at perks that can be used after the gates are opened:

    Blood Warden

    No One Left Behind

  • Another person getting unnecessarily triggered by other people moving their character a certain way.

    The crouch key is not toxic. You are applying that definition to it. It is the most low-effort "trolling" a player can do, and if it wasn't that, players would find another character motion to mean "I am taunting you." Stop letting it have the exact effect on you that they want it to have, chase them out of the gate, and move on.

  • Reduce the extreme RNG factor and cheap feeling mechanics. So much of the toxicity stems from playing a ranked pvp game where people can essentially have instant win cards. It's dumb and upsets people. I waited 5 minutes in queue for Iri Head/Infantry Belt Huntress. Good one. I played really well, had two survivors dead with two gens, and then the survivors stopped doing gens and immersed for 10 minutes to find hatch with a key. Nice1 jimmy.

  • As of right now, you lose emblem points for intentionally dropping survivors off your shoulder as "Survivor escaped grasp". Maybe get rid of that.

    A lot of these changes seem very specific and can just be circumvented by doing something else. Like running in a circle , or just crouch walking.

    Main cause of toxicity in DBD is knowing you can't get hit. Killers are melee ranged and animation-locked half the time, making it very easy to dangle right outside of their range and do whatever to taunt. In a shooting game, people don't do that as it is a good way to get sniped. Even in a MOBA, people don't do that because they can legitimately die if they underestimate. In DBD, survivors know that the killer can't touch them without getting close, so they are free to be toxic.

    It's why a lot of them hate Nurse Spirit Deathslinger Iri Huntress. It removes the range of safety from them so they cannot taunt and dally in front of the killer.

  • But if they can't taunt you at the exits it will eliminate those oh so sweet moments when you're able to down hook and kill someone that was being an ass at the exit gates. Much more satisfying then anything else in the game

  • 1: make everyone play both side

    2: add a casual or ranked mode when sfw group have a limit of 2 player

    plan and simple


    edit: 3rd point : add bloodpoint and emblem point (or whatever replace them fir mmr) for survivor that get facecamped and/or tunnel and don't kill themself or dc

  • You can't force people to be good sports. Sadly, it is either something they have learned, or haven't. The best way to reduce bad sportsmanship, i.e. the salt shown after a match is:

    1. Don't pulled into it, or sucked into defending yourself.
    2. Don't engage in it yourself. Ignore it, be over the top friendly, or seem to enjoy it.
    3. If you are a Survivor and another Survivor does it, report them, stand up to it. Be an example.
    4. And for everyone, if it crosses the line, record it and report it no matter how tedious Behavior has made the process.