Theory crafting a new Legion

Legion is an objectively bad killer. And I mean that in more ways than just their power being bad. They have no identity, or at least a very weak one in comparison to most of the other killers. Allow me to explain what I mean by this.

Wraith is the only killer can go invisible, (it's more go transparent but for the sake of argument let's say he has true invisibility) and when he does so he rings his bell. When survivors hear the ringing sound they will immediately know that he's lurking around somewhere and that they need to be extra attentive to not get ambushed. Say what you will about how Wraith barely has a power outside of getting a single free hit. But at least survivors have to actually pay attention when they go up against him.

The same is also true for Trapper. His set-up time is slow, his traps can be easily disarmed once located, and he has a lot of trouble pressuring the map. But if a survivor finds out their against a Trapper and they start getting chased in an area of the map that they haven't scouted out yet, then every window and grass patch could potentially have a trap lurking near it and this might cause them to take non-optimal routes during the chase. By simply vs'ing a Trapper survivors have to respect locations that they haven't searched for traps yet.

Keep these two examples in mind when I say that Legion has an identity even weaker than 2 of the weakest killers in the game despite having a power that's arguably stronger than both of them, if only a little. Here is how a typical interaction with Legion goes against competent survivors:

  1. Legion find a survivor and starts chasing them with Feral Frenzy
  2. Survivor gets stabbed and Legion goes to find any survivors within their killer instinct range
  3. If there's no one nearby, or the Legion finishes stabbing all of the people they can, then they cancel their power and get stunned for 4 seconds.
  4. The Legion then resumes chasing the injured survivor until they either break off to pressure gens or down them.

The "gameplay" here is laughable. Healthy survivors have almost 0 ability to avoid being stabbed. They can attempt to mind game at un-dropped pallet or bait a hit using an exhaustion perk, but this has a very small chance of working if at all. And once they are injured the Legion ceases to be a threat to them since they will either run away from them to stab someone else, or get stunned for a longer time than it would have taken to just hit the survivor normally, giving the survivor ample time to get to a loop.

Compared to the other killers I mentioned, where against a Wraith how they approach and sneak up on survivors will influence the game, and against Trapper where how and when they place their traps will influence the game, against a Legion their power might as well be on auto-pilot. There's 0 interesting plays to be made here during it's use. And countering the Legion after they have used their power is just as laughable.

Again, looking at Wraith and Trapper:

  • You counter Wraith after getting hit by looping him if he chases you, and putting yourself into safe positions if he decides to cloak and leave you, in case he decides to come back and ambush you.
  • You counter Trapper by locating his traps and either disarming them while the Trapper is busy or plot your next chase route away from them so you aren't in danger.
  • You counter Legion stabbing you by looping them if he decides to chase you and by not healing if he leaves you because doing so will just waste time otherwise spent on gens since you'll likely just get injured again the next time the killer chases you.

The best way to counter the ethereal monster that goes invisible is to be vigilant and observant.

The best way to counter the cunning monster that lays traps is to pay attention to him and your surroundings.

The best way to counter the knife wielding maniac is to not heal your gaping knife wounds.

And there are still somehow people that possess the ignorance to defend Legion in their current state. You can like their premise and their cosmetics all you want. But don't make a fool out of yourself by claiming that they're "fine" in their current state. I know it might seem like no one would hold a viewpoint so wrong. But trust me, there are people who do.

Now that I've explained why Legion is clearly the worst thing in the history of any video game ever I think it's time I get onto the actual subject heading of my post: Theory crafting a better Legion.

I want to start by saying this isn't a recommendation for the developers. I've long since lost all hope that they're going to properly rework Legion. I'm making this purely out of my own creative will to imagine what Legion could have been. Now to start off...

Making the "Legion" an actual Legion

Other members of the Legion do not exist in the game when you play. It's just Frank or Julie. You can technically dress up as either Susie and Joey but they do not have their own voice lines. So the first thing that needs to be done is to give them unique voices. If you're dressed up as Susie, you'll sound like Susie, etc.

Secondly, each Legion member would have their own style in the cosmetic screen. Frank, Julie, Susie and Joey would each have their own unique loadouts for their cosmetics. You'd be able to use female versions of cosmetics that were previously exclusive to Frank, and visa versa.

And the most important part about this version of Legion isn't just that each member is uniquely dressed up. It's that they will appear in the match to assist the main killer. The killer will choose which member they play as in the cosmetic screen. While all other members will be available in the trial to command in various ways. They won't all be patrolling gens from the start mind you. 3 AI killers, no matter how simple, would break the game if they were all out from the get go. So instead they're going to function as traps and surveillance that can be placed and activated at will.

Remember the first trailer for Legion that showed Frank ambushing David by pretending to act like a survivor? That idea, that a killer has just enough humanity left to pretend to not be a threat, is a far more interesting idea to me than "edgy boi who stabs you". So I'm going to spitball ideas on how this can be implemented.

It should be noted that making the new Legion entirely reliant on fooling survivors will only be there to spook new players who go up against them for the first time, and for giving this Legion some actual character beyond stab stab stab. Their actual power will come from positioning Legion members in spots to give knowledge on where survivors are and ambushing, giving them an entirely unique style of play from other killers and finally giving them an interesting identity.

  • The new Legion will have their power in 2 parts. A setup phase in which the main Legion doesn't have their mask on and can summon and position other Legion members to specific locations. And an active phase where they put their mask on and and call other Legion members to action at will.
  • Legion members will not be as strong as the main Legion. If they touch a survivor while the main Legion is active they'll grab and hold them for a set amount of time rather than hitting them. Although perhaps this could be changed with add-ons. Other survivors could also help their grabbed team mate so they could escape faster. If someone escapes the grasp of Legion member, said member will run away and disappear with the entity disintegrate effect and put that specific member on cooldown for a while. The entity effect will also be how they are summoned into the world.
  • Legion's default speed will be set back to 110% and their fault terror radius will be set to 24 meters to compensate for how their new power will allow them to cover areas of the map. While unmasked their terror radius will be removed completely but will steadily increase the more Legion members are placed, meaning a Legion with no members placed as no terror radius. But if the other 3 members in position their terror radius will be larger than usual.
  • Adding onto the larger terror radius idea, the music within the terror radius for survivors can become more intense. Perhaps by adding an instrument unique to each member? (Drums for Joey, Guitar for Frank, etc)
  • An unmasked Legion can hop into lockers to traverse the map faster, using them as a portal to other lockers and being able to pop out at any one. Legion members can also be positioned inside lockers to grab survivors trying to enter one or called out to ambush a survivor nearing it.
  • An alternate version of the locker idea, an unmasked Legion could switch to other Legion members on the fly. This could lead to interesting placements in which a Legion member is stowed in a locker next to a gen to be switched to if the killer knows survivors are on that gen. Survivors could check lockers for the Legion hiding inside them at risk of being grabbed for a little while so they aren't ambushed later.
  • Each Legion member would have their icon shown above the survivor portraits. These icons would update based on what they are doing. Spying, hiding in a locker, grabbing a survivor, etc.
  • If a survivor is downed a Legion member can be summoned to help carry them to the hook with a unique carrying animation with both one Legion holding the survivors arms and the other holding their feet. If one of them falls of a slope the Legion left holding the survivor would throw the survivor down to be caught by the Legion that was below so they can both continue carrying the survivor.
  • Continuing this idea, after successfully carrying a survivor to a hook the Legion could have a celebratory high five or fist bump before running off and disintegrating. Or if the survivor manages to break free either by wiggling or having a team mate drop a pallet, one of the Legion could act pissed off towards the other for failing to hold onto the survivor, face palming or throwing their hands up while the other Legion shrugs or cradles their face as they recover from the stun.

All of the cosmetic interactions might seen pointless to include. But showing that the Legion is a collection of functioning humans that have emotions but are still hunting and killing survivors would make them have the most interesting killer identity in the game. And much more than a simple human with a knife.

Just look at some of Ghostface's animations for evidence of how animations can give a killer personality. His lockergrab and mori show that he is clearly having fun torturing and murdering survivors and gives him a sinister aura combined with how his power removes his terror radius.

This is what I want for Legion to be. An interesting killer with a power that works with their character(s) and leads to interesting game play. If you think there's a problem with any of my ideas or you'd like to discuss the finer details then please comment below. I'm hoping to have a nuanced discussion about what Legion could have been.

Unless this thread is banished to the suggestions and feedback tab. Thanks for reading!

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • I love all of this. This gives them so much personality and makes them interesting and fun to play against.

    I'd love for the Devs to respond to this. I know they say that Legion is doing alright, but people still complain about how unfun he is and thisfixes him.

  • @Pulsar said:

    I love all of this. This gives them so much personality and makes them interesting and fun to play against.

    I'd love for the Devs to respond to this. I know they say that Legion is doing alright, but people still complain about how unfun he is and thisfixes him.

    Thanks for commenting! Not going to lie, I'm a bit miffed that my post is getting buried since I think discussing Legion and what they could be very interesting.

    I also hope that the devs see this but they probably won't. I didn't write this with the notion that any of it would be implemented into the game.

  • @SirCracken said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1843393#Comment_1843393

    Thanks for commenting! Not going to lie, I'm a bit miffed that my post is getting buried since I think discussing Legion and what they could be very interesting.

    I also hope that the devs see this but they probably won't. I didn't write this with the notion that any of it would be implemented into the game.

    I know they looked at my redesign thread I posted about a year ago, so I think they do. Whether or not they choose to do anything with it is a different story.

  • @SirCracken said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1843393#Comment_1843393

    Thanks for commenting! Not going to lie, I'm a bit miffed that my post is getting buried since I think discussing Legion and what they could be very interesting.

    I also hope that the devs see this but they probably won't. I didn't write this with the notion that any of it would be implemented into the game.

    The whole "buried" thing is completely false. Posts are moved because they are in the wrong section and don't belong in General Discussions.

    And yes these posts are read, when they are in the correct section at least, more so than they would be if they were still in GD because posts get buried there very quickly due to the amount of posts.

  • @Mandy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1843473#Comment_1843473

    The whole "buried" thing is completely false. Posts are moved because they are in the wrong section and don't belong in General Discussions.

    And yes these posts are read, when they are in the correct section at least, more so than they would be if they were still in GD because posts get buried there very quickly due to the amount of posts.

    I wasn't trying to imply that my post was deliberately being hidden by the mods if that's what you're saying. I was remarking that my post was simply not getting the same interaction as the others and thus getting "buried" underneath them all.

    But what confuses me as to why my post was moved to feedback and suggestions when I specifically said "this isn't a recommendation for the developers".

  • Because it's a feedback & suggestion post, whether it's meant for Developers or not. Same as Creations are moved to Creations sub forum whether it's meant for Developers to see or not - it's about keeping the forum organised and easy for people to find what they are looking for.

  • Not going to lie as a Legion main, I would hate this. May come to a shock to you but quite a lot of people like the run around fast and stab playstyle.

    Legion is a information killer who thanks to their short body can pull of mindgames most other killers can only dream of.

    And while they could use some buffs and QoL treatments as a whole i like the gameplay of the Legion and I'm not alone.

    Also would be way to much work to actually work in game.

    Cool idea for another killer maybe but i would rather the Legion stayed like this and never get buffed again then for them to be completly changed and have nothing of what made me buy them in the first place.

    Also bassicly in the middle of pick rates so your idea that the Legion is " the worst thing in videogame history" is just straight up wrong.

    Calling people ignorant for defending Legion while there are red ranks that can consistantly 4k with them is beyond ironic.

  • Gonna have to agree with @Sonzaishinai here. Many people do like the fast paced playstyle Legion currently has. I also don't want to be abandoned by this game like pre-rework Freddy players were.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    Not going to lie as a Legion main, I would hate this. May come to a shock to you but quite a lot of people like the run around fast and stab playstyle.

    Legion is a information killer who thanks to their short body can pull of mindgames most other killers can only dream of.

    And while they could use some buffs and QoL treatments as a whole i like the gameplay of the Legion and I'm not alone.

    Also would be way to much work to actually work in game.

    Cool idea for another killer maybe but i would rather the Legion stayed like this and never get buffed again then for them to be completly changed and have nothing of what made me buy them in the first place.

    Also bassicly in the middle of pick rates so your idea that the Legion is " the worst thing in videogame history" is just straight up wrong.

    Calling people ignorant for defending Legion while there are red ranks that can consistantly 4k with them is beyond ironic.

    You can like running around and stabbing people all you like. It doesn't make Legion well designed or interesting, no matter how many people share the same viewpoint. Your opinions don't become stronger if more people agree with you.

    Legion gets some information on where survivors are after a stab and nothing more. There is nothing they can do that other killers can't do better with add-ons or perks, see Blight's compound add-on, Wraith's all-seeing add-on, Bubba's chassis add-on, Plague's Incense add-on, Nurse's Calling and infectious Fright and probably some more I'm missing.

    What do you mean "buy them in the first place"? Legion was not put into the game as they were now. They were able to down survivors with their power and moved at 110% speed. Did you only get them after the re-work?

    Killer pick rates are a poor argument to use for why a killer is fine. Using them implies that unless a killer has a low pick rate there's nothing wrong with them, which is obviously wrong. The quote about Legion being the worst thing in the history of video games was sarcastic. Hence the bold lettering and dramatic wording compared to the rest of the post.

    People can 4K with every killer in the game at red ranks because the ranking system is terrible. Legion is actually a great example of this. You can, quite literally, just run around the map stabbing people without getting a single down and still rank up. The fact that people can get kills with Legion at all is not a sign that they're a good killer in any aspect and I am fully correct in calling people like you ignorant for saying otherwise.

    Let me preface this by saying you're completely free to continue playing and enjoying Legion as they are. My problem is not with how you feel about the killer. But how you defend them with little to no understanding of how a good killer should be designed.

  • @BattleCast said:

    Gonna have to agree with @Sonzaishinai here. Many people do like the fast paced playstyle Legion currently has. I also don't want to be abandoned by this game like pre-rework Freddy players were.

    Fast paced? What about getting a free hit where the survivor has almost no counter play and suffering a 4 second stun is fast?

    Blight is fast paced. Nurse is fast paced. Legion is not.

  • @SirCracken said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1843693#Comment_1843693

    You can like running around and stabbing people all you like. It doesn't make Legion well designed or interesting, no matter how many people share the same viewpoint. Your opinions don't become stronger if more people agree with you.

    Legion gets some information on where survivors are after a stab and nothing more. There is nothing they can do that other killers can't do better with add-ons or perks, see Blight's compound add-on, Wraith's all-seeing add-on, Bubba's chassis add-on, Plague's Incense add-on, Nurse's Calling and infectious Fright and probably some more I'm missing.

    What do you mean "buy them in the first place"? Legion was not put into the game as they were now. They were able to down survivors with their power and moved at 110% speed. Did you only get them after the re-work?

    Killer pick rates are a poor argument to use for why a killer is fine. Using them implies that unless a killer has a low pick rate there's nothing wrong with them, which is obviously wrong. The quote about Legion being the worst thing in the history of video games was sarcastic. Hence the bold lettering and dramatic wording compared to the rest of the post.

    People can 4K with every killer in the game at red ranks because the ranking system is terrible. Legion is actually a great example of this. You can, quite literally, just run around the map stabbing people without getting a single down and still rank up. The fact that people can get kills with Legion at all is not a sign that they're a good killer in any aspect and I am fully correct in calling people like you ignorant for saying otherwise.

    Let me preface this by saying you're completely free to continue playing and enjoying Legion as they are. My problem is not with how you feel about the killer. But how you defend them with little to no understanding of how a good killer should be designed.

    A good killer design is a killer that's enjoyable to play and for a lot of people Legion is exactly that.

    Pickrates are a very good estimate imo. If a killer is picked often it means one of two things. Either they are picked because you have a high chance to win with them or they are picked because they are being enjoyed.

    Legion is not picked for their phenominal win ratio so they are picked often cause they are enjoyable. And if people are enjoying a killer a complete revamp of their power is the last thing you want to do.

    @SirCracken said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1843706#Comment_1843706

    Fast paced? What about getting a free hit where the survivor has almost no counter play and suffering a 4 second stun is fast?

    Blight is fast paced. Nurse is fast paced. Legion is not.

    Once everybody is injured downs can happen really really fast if you are good at the m1 game.

    Sure maybe not against the 10000 combined hour swf deathsquad but you don't face that every match. Against your standert survivor Legion games can be very fast paced.

    You only need to mindgame a survivor once. None of that hit them and watch them run miles away.

    Also Blight and Nurse take time before you can get to the high speed gameplay. With Legion a basic understanding of mindgames is all you need.

    For people like me who only play a couple of games a day Legion is perfect.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1843735#Comment_1843735

    A good killer design is a killer that's enjoyable to play and for a lot of people Legion is exactly that.

    Pickrates are a very good estimate imo. If a killer is picked often it means one of two things. Either they are picked because you have a high chance to win with them or they are picked because they are being enjoyed.

    Legion is not picked for their phenominal win ratio so they are picked often cause they are enjoyable. And if people are enjoying a killer a complete revamp of their power is the last thing you want to do.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1843739#Comment_1843739

    Once everybody is injured downs can happen really really fast if you are good at the m1 game.

    Sure maybe not against the 10000 combined hour swf deathsquad but you don't face that every match. Against your standert survivor Legion games can be very fast paced.

    You only need to mindgame a survivor once. None of that hit them and watch them run miles away.

    Also Blight and Nurse take time before you can get to the high speed gameplay. With Legion a basic understanding of mindgames is all you need.

    For people like me who only play a couple of games a day Legion is perfect.

    Again, the fact that more than one person enjoys playing Legion in their current state doesn't mean that they are objectively perfect and don't need to be changed. There are people that enjoy every killer from Nurse to Trapper. Does this mean that Trapper is fine and doesn't need any changes? No! Every killer in the game has their problems and they should be fixed at some point.

    Pickrates are a terrible estimate for how enjoyable a or viable a killer is. Nurse is objectively the best killer in the game, and yet she has one of the lowest pick rates. By your logic she is in clear need of changes or a buff. But in reality buffing Nurse is perhaps one of the most redundant things that could be done to killers right now except maybe nerfing Hoarder. Oh wait that's already been nerfed.

    Since this is just the same point as before I'll go into more depth on why it is wrong and bad for the game. Enjoyment is heavily subjective. But I don't think I need to explain this to you. But what you should understand is that how well a killer can perform and the actions they are capable of taking can be measured objectively and thus how they interact with other players. Well designed killers have gameplay that promotes lots of interaction because players are typically engaged the most when they are interacting with the game a lot. There are clearly people like you that enjoy killers that are non-interactive or minimally-interactive but you are the exception to the rule and shouldn't be pandered to just because you exist.

    In the same way that there are people who enjoy playing Basement Bubba and people who enjoy playing Bubba traditionally, those who prefer the former encourage stale and un-interactive gameplay while the latter is the opposite and generally makes the game more interesting to play for everyone. Lest you forget that most survivors at best tolerate Legion or actively despise them because of how uninteresting they are to play against.

    Unless the survivors have less than 2 braincells to rub together you're not going to get rapid downs by just M1'ing. You literally have no power and are at the mercy of the map's loops and how well survivors and exploit them.

    Yes, killers that require a lot of split-second decision making and have potential to get downs quickly require some practise. Whereas Legion just requires a working mouse and keyboard to get hits. You've honestly made your own counter argument here.

    If you're a casual player then I can see why you would like Legion in their current state. But to finish off my little counter-rant tell me this, why should you, someone who by their own omission plays the game casually, be pandered to have the game balanced around them when there are players who have put hundreds if not thousands of hours into the game and have a much better understanding of it than you? What makes your viewpoint any more valid than theirs?

  • @SirCracken said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1843748#Comment_1843748

    Again, the fact that more than one person enjoys playing Legion in their current state doesn't mean that they are objectively perfect and don't need to be changed. There are people that enjoy every killer from Nurse to Trapper. Does this mean that Trapper is fine and doesn't need any changes? No! Every killer in the game has their problems and they should be fixed at some point.

    Pickrates are a terrible estimate for how enjoyable a or viable a killer is. Nurse is objectively the best killer in the game, and yet she has one of the lowest pick rates. By your logic she is in clear need of changes or a buff. But in reality buffing Nurse is perhaps one of the most redundant things that could be done to killers right now except maybe nerfing Hoarder. Oh wait that's already been nerfed.

    Since this is just the same point as before I'll go into more depth on why it is wrong and bad for the game. Enjoyment is heavily subjective. But I don't think I need to explain this to you. But what you should understand is that how well a killer can perform and the actions they are capable of taking can be measured objectively and thus how they interact with other players. Well designed killers have gameplay that promotes lots of interaction because players are typically engaged the most when they are interacting with the game a lot. There are clearly people like you that enjoy killers that are non-interactive or minimally-interactive but you are the exception to the rule and shouldn't be pandered to just because you exist.

    In the same way that there are people who enjoy playing Basement Bubba and people who enjoy playing Bubba traditionally, those who prefer the former encourage stale and un-interactive gameplay while the former is the opposite and generally makes the game more interesting to play for everyone. Lest you forget that most survivors at best tolerate Legion or actively despise them because of how uninteresting they are to play against.

    Unless the survivors have less than 2 braincells to rub together you're not going to get rapid downs by just M1'ing. You literally have no power and are at the mercy of the map's loops and how well survivors and exploit them.

    Yes, killers that require a lot of split-second decision making and have potential to get downs quickly require some practise. Whereas Legion just requires a working mouse and keyboard to get hits. You've honestly made your own counter argument here.

    If you're a casual player then I can see why you would like Legion in their current state. But to finish off my little counter-rant tell me this, why should you, someone who by their own omission plays the game casually, be pandered to have the game balanced around them when there are players who have put hundreds if not thousands of hours into the game and have a much better understanding of it than you? What makes your viewpoint any more valid than theirs?

    First of I litterally said Legion could use some QoL changes and buffs. There is a big difference however between giving a killer some buffs to completly changing how they work.

    Second I do believe Nurse is in desperate need to be made more playerfriendly and the pick rates do show that nicely. Once again pickrates show enjoyment levels very well and nurses just shows how miserable she is to play. You just convinced me more of my statement.

    And you can't seriously say nurse is fine the way she is. The strongest killer in a survivor favored game and no one wants to learn her cause she is so unenjoyable to play.

    Third, Why shouldn't i be pandered too? I paid for the game too last time i checked. There are other killers in the roster if you want a "more interactive killer" as you say it. Why the hell would you take away something from a playerbase to give to another playerbase something they already have. That's just poor business. Not to mention plain arrogant.

    Most people don't want to or can't no life this game. Some people have jobs and familly to take care of. And having easy to pick up and play killers is a good thing.

    You might not be able to get rapid downs with m1's. But it's most certainly possible if you're good enough against most survivors. Otz won 50+ games in a row. As did Ryuga. I'm sure any redrank worth their salt could. Maybe you should play Legion a bit more and actually learn the m1 game. It's really not that impossible to get hits in.

    We are probably not going to come to an agreement so I'll just leave it here. Just know that saying that my opinion doesn't matter cause i don't play 4 hours a day really shows that you shouldn't ever think about a career in gamedevelopment.

    You'd find that casual players are the vast mayority and without them this game wouldn't ever be able to support itself.

    Don't even understand where that random attack came from. I'm not the one wanting a killer from the game to be completly changed, you are. Why should you be pandered too? Other people do completly fine with Legion, why can't you?

  • @SirCracken I think you misunderstand the nature of @Sonzaishinai's arguement.

    Like it or not, Legion in their current state has a fanbase. This could be for a variety of reasons; Liking having to only outplay a survivor once to down them instead of twice, the usefulness of using killer instinct to track, or even just finding it enjoyable to chain as many stabs as possible.

    Is Legion okay in their current state? Not really. They're not very fun to go against since a particularly evil Legion can just stab you repeatedly just for the sake of slowing the game to a crawl and holding M1 with 0 interaction (or skill checks) is mind-numbingly dull. At the same time, having a non-lethal power have a brutal 4-second stun and punished so heavily for mistakes for so little reward is just absurd.

    Do I like your changes? Not really. It's a completely different killer, and while I'm sure that's something you put a lot of thought into, it's not something I would enjoy, personally.

  • You are still wrong Sonzaishinai, the only problem SirCracken wants to eliminate, is the boring, weak and poor design that Legion has.

    • Freedy was change for a reason, because the only interaction the survivors had with him was: hear him coming, start to fall asleep and wait for the transition to end. Then loop a killer without power. Later, being safe from the hook and be awaken by a teammate or fail a skillcheck. When Freedy comes again, all the process is repeated.
    • The doctor was change for a reason, because he was so simple as killer. Changing his mechanic was perfect for giving him more freedom and more counterplay in different ways (they also buffed calm spirit when the doctor was put in the game). Now his current design is more complex and interesting.
    • The clown is also going to receive a rework, I can't wait to seeing it.
    • With Legion is all the same. He in the game isn't a bad or a weak killer in gameplay agaisnt survivors. He is as you said (and as the devs said) GOOD and FINE. But that doesn't takes away the potential that this teenager gang has. And I can confess you that a lot of people, friends or simple playmates have the same problem with this killer. Lacks of originality and interaction.

    Also a Youtuber named Samination, makes Dead by daylight animated parodias, and one of them it was especially created for the Legion.

  • @Masterninja said:

    You are still wrong Sonzaishinai, the only problem SirCracken wants to eliminate, is the boring, weak and poor design that Legion has.

    • Freedy was change for a reason, because the only interaction the survivors had with him was: hear him coming, start to fall asleep and wait for the transition to end. Then loop a killer without power. Later, being safe from the hook and be awaken by a teammate or fail a skillcheck. When Freedy comes again, all the process is repeated.
    • The doctor was change for a reason, because he was so simple as killer. Changing his mechanic was perfect for giving him more freedom and more counterplay in different ways (they also buffed calm spirit when the doctor was put in the game). Now his current design is more complex and interesting.
    • The clown is also going to receive a rework, I can't wait to seeing it.
    • With Legion is all the same. He in the game isn't a bad or a weak killer in gameplay agaisnt survivors. He is as you said (and as the devs said) GOOD and FINE. But that doesn't takes away the potential that this teenager gang has. And I can confess you that a lot of people, friends or simple playmates have the same problem with this killer. Lacks of originality and interaction.

    Also a Youtuber named Samination, makes Dead by daylight animated parodias, and one of them it was especially created for the Legion.

    The thing is that every rework except Freddy kept the killer relativilly the same.

    Doktor still shocks and inflicts madness, Bubba still chainsaws and punishes overaltruisme. Clown will still throw gas bottles

    I wouldn't mind changes to Legion as long as the core gameplay of going fast and chaining hits stayed the same.

    The thing about this persons suggestion is that it completly changes the killer. Even Freddy still is an m1 killer that gets stronger as people fall asleep. Litterally nothing remains the same

    Before Legion released i was a Freddy main and the rework while making him stronger also made him really bland to play. I almost never play him anymore and i would hate to have that happen again.

    The thing what you two seem to not understand is that your oppinion that Legion is weak, boring and poor design is just that. An opinion.

    A lot of people including some who play this game as a living view Legion as a solid midtier killer.

    I know of samination. I also know that despite not being a big fan of the legion he had to make an entire spinoff show with them because they are so popular.

    That just further proves my point. People already like the Legion. Why would the devs complete revamp a killer that already is played and thus enjoyed a ton.

    Again I wouldn't mind changes to the Legion as long as their core remained the same. I would love to see some QoL updates even

    But you nor anyone shouldn't hold their breath that they will ever be changed to a discount twins. That will never happen. The devs won't put time and money into changing something a lot of people already like.

  • @GrimReaperJr1232 said:

    @SirCracken I think you misunderstand the nature of @Sonzaishinai's arguement.

    Like it or not, Legion in their current state has a fanbase. This could be for a variety of reasons; Liking having to only outplay a survivor once to down them instead of twice, the usefulness of using killer instinct to track, or even just finding it enjoyable to chain as many stabs as possible.

    Is Legion okay in their current state? Not really. They're not very fun to go against since a particularly evil Legion can just stab you repeatedly just for the sake of slowing the game to a crawl and holding M1 with 0 interaction (or skill checks) is mind-numbingly dull. At the same time, having a non-lethal power have a brutal 4-second stun and punished so heavily for mistakes for so little reward is just absurd.

    Do I like your changes? Not really. It's a completely different killer, and while I'm sure that's something you put a lot of thought into, it's not something I would enjoy, personally.

    Of course. Every killer has their specific fanbase. And I've stated multiple times that I see no fault in enjoying a killer for what they are.

    But I must state again that liking how a killer is currently does not excuse the design problems that they have.

    I'm glad we both agree that Legion in their current state isn't okay. And I must repeat myself again that the point of my post was never to spur the devs to radically change Legion like I had envisioned. I made this post for the sake of expressing an idea that I wanted to explore.

    Completely fair. You don't have to like my changes at all.

  • @SirCracken said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1845113#Comment_1845113

    Of course. Every killer has their specific fanbase. And I've stated multiple times that I see no fault in enjoying a killer for what they are.

    But I must state again that liking how a killer is currently does not excuse the design problems that they have.

    I'm glad we both agree that Legion in their current state isn't okay. And I must repeat myself again that the point of my post was never to spur the devs to radically change Legion like I had envisioned. I made this post for the sake of expressing an idea that I wanted to explore.

    Completely fair. You don't have to like my changes at all.

    The reason I bring up Legion having a fanbase is because when coming up with ideas on reworking a killer, it's important to not completely alienate them.


    Look at freddy. There are Old Freddy Mains who literally had their killer removed. Better for the game or not, it's something the devs got a lot of flack for and not something they want repeated again.


    Comparatively, we have Doctor and Bubba. Bubba is largely the same with mechanical changes that made him an absolute beast. Doctor's mechanics were heavily simplified so that he was much easier to control, allowing his full potential to be reached. These changes made the killer better, *but* was still very familiar for veterans of their previous form.


    Your idea is a drastic rework that would risk repeating Freddy. I urge you to take these factors into consideration when suggesting changes to an existing killer.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1844523#Comment_1844523

    First of I litterally said Legion could use some QoL changes and buffs. There is a big difference however between giving a killer some buffs to completly changing how they work.

    Second I do believe Nurse is in desperate need to be made more playerfriendly and the pick rates do show that nicely. Once again pickrates show enjoyment levels very well and nurses just shows how miserable she is to play. You just convinced me more of my statement.

    And you can't seriously say nurse is fine the way she is. The strongest killer in a survivor favored game and no one wants to learn her cause she is so unenjoyable to play.

    Third, Why shouldn't i be pandered too? I paid for the game too last time i checked. There are other killers in the roster if you want a "more interactive killer" as you say it. Why the hell would you take away something from a playerbase to give to another playerbase something they already have. That's just poor business. Not to mention plain arrogant.

    Most people don't want to or can't no life this game. Some people have jobs and familly to take care of. And having easy to pick up and play killers is a good thing.

    You might not be able to get rapid downs with m1's. But it's most certainly possible if you're good enough against most survivors. Otz won 50+ games in a row. As did Ryuga. I'm sure any redrank worth their salt could. Maybe you should play Legion a bit more and actually learn the m1 game. It's really not that impossible to get hits in.

    We are probably not going to come to an agreement so I'll just leave it here. Just know that saying that my opinion doesn't matter cause i don't play 4 hours a day really shows that you shouldn't ever think about a career in gamedevelopment.

    You'd find that casual players are the vast mayority and without them this game wouldn't ever be able to support itself.

    Don't even understand where that random attack came from. I'm not the one wanting a killer from the game to be completly changed, you are. Why should you be pandered too? Other people do completly fine with Legion, why can't you?

    I've said several times now that I made this post with zero intention of my ideas being added into the game. I made it for my own sake and nothing else. Legion getting some QoL changes is honestly the best I can hope for in terms of their design problems at least being acknowledged.

    Nurse needs her many bugs and map glitches addressed, and if possible the change to her base power reverted. It was unnecessarily nerfed and just served to make her more frustrating in combination of the bugs I just mentioned. And her low pickrate is symptom of how clunky she is to play. But this does not mean the pick rate chart is an accurate assertion of how well, or poorly, designed a killer is.

    Pig has the 2nd highest kill rate in the entire game. But her power is unreliable and generally weak. She's an M1 killer with a bit more time to hunt survivors than other killers and a super situational dash. If we were to follow the logic that the chart is an accurate sign of how well she is designed then it would make sense to nerf her, even though she clearly is not in need of a nerf. That is why Legion being in the middle is not evidence that their design is not massively flawed.

    You shouldn't be pandered to because to because balancing the game around the most inexperienced players makes gameplay at higher levels of skill broken and often unfun. Which it often is right now funnily enough. 5 gens being done in 6 minutes or under with an entire team's worth of DS + Unbreakable's makes almost every single killer in the game powerless and those who have the capacity to fight back have to be played near perfectly or they will lose. And furthermore you should know that dbd's new playerbase never stay for long. Most likely because of the problems of the game that they become aware of as they spend more time playing it or they just lose interest. This not might be a problem were the game, and the killers, designed to better accommodate interactive gameplay.

    Allow me to use your own argument against you. Let's say that a miracle occurs and the devs suddenly decide to implement my idea, why should you care about Legion being changed when there are other killers in the game that are also have low interactivity and are easy to play such as Plague or Pig? Why should the portion of the playerbase that wants more engaging gameplay be denied because you prefer killers with easy-to-use powers? Is that not arrogance to assume that you know what's best for playerbase despite having little experience in the game?

    Yes. Having some killers be not as complicated as others is a good thing. That's why almost every killer in the game is an "M1 killer" because they have to rely on basic attacks rather than the nuanced use of their power. You can still have a fairly simple killer power that can be used creatively, Trapper is a good example of this, but that doesn't erase the very clear issues that his power has. Legion is the same.

    What you've failed to realise is that despite my scathing criticisms of Legion's design I do in fact play, and perform very well with them. I know how to mindgame at unsafe loops and make the most out of the information given to me by stabbing people. But guess what? That doesn't make my criticisms of them any less valid. In fact in adds credence to them and the only reason why I even bothered to make this post was because I've played so much of Legion that I wanted to envision them as something more interesting.

    Do not EVER use youtubers as evidence for your argument. The fact that 1 guy managed to get a 50+ win streak doesn't prove anything about the killer. It proves that whoever uses them is certainly good with them, but they are the rare exception to the general player base and thus their performance doesn't prove the killer is good. It's like getting an E-sports pro in CS:GO to ace every round with the Glock and then saying "Look how good this gun is!". Also you once again ignore how terrible the ranking system is. Being a red rank isn't a sign of skill. It's a sign of how long you've played the game.

    I have said, many times now, that you are completely free to continue liking the killer. But you don't seem to understand the difference between opinions and statements. Saying that Nurse is the best killer in the game is an objective statement. Saying that Nurse is unfun is an opinion. You keeping implying that killers being viable or not is entirely up to user interpretation when that is objectively wrong and can be proven by looking at each killer's abilities when in the hands of a capable player.

    And unless you, yourself, are in a career game development, (Which I'm just going to state for the record that I literally just finished a game design course at the end of this year which taught me valuable advice like who to balance your games for) you are in no position to tell me what career I should follow.

    Yes. Most players are casual rather than competitive. But as I previously stated most of these new players leave often after they join the playerbase, occasionally returning for a major or seasonal update, showing that dbd has a problem with player retention. I think I've repeated myself enough times on this post so I won't tell you what might possibly help with that.

    What attack? I've never attacked you personally during any of my comments. The most I've done is call you ignorant for commenting on how the game should be balanced when you have told me yourself that you are a casual player and do not play the game as often as me.

    Let me ask you something. You say you're a casual player, you've implied that you have a job and a family to take care of, why do you attach yourself so much to this fictional character? Why does stating the very obvious flaws they have cause you to take that criticism personally and ignore all reasoning behind said criticism? Other people are open to their favourite killers having their problems fixed, why can't you?

  • @GrimReaperJr1232 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1845179#Comment_1845179

    The reason I bring up Legion having a fanbase is because when coming up with ideas on reworking a killer, it's important to not completely alienate them.

    Look at freddy. There are Old Freddy Mains who literally had their killer removed. Better for the game or not, it's something the devs got a lot of flack for and not something they want repeated again.

    Comparatively, we have Doctor and Bubba. Bubba is largely the same with mechanical changes that made him an absolute beast. Doctor's mechanics were heavily simplified so that he was much easier to control, allowing his full potential to be reached. These changes made the killer better, *but* was still very familiar for veterans of their previous form.

    Your idea is a drastic rework that would risk repeating Freddy. I urge you to take these factors into consideration when suggesting changes to an existing killer.

    Freddy is actually a good example of a bad killer rework. In terms of pure viability he's improved. But his identity has been completely lost in the process. He's a far cry from the Freddy from the big screen and I really don't like what they've done with him. Freddy being a sadist, malious, lurking threat that's waiting for the instant your eyes shut to drag you to his dimension of horrors isn't conveyed in the game at all, a problem that most licensed killers also have.

    I would strongly argue, however, that Legion's current identity is sorely lacking and indistinct. They injure people, but have nothing to help get downs like Blight, Huntress or Nurse. They get information, but not as good as Doctor. They delay the game, but not as good as Pig. In a way the pick chart I keep rallying against is actually a great showcase for where they are right now: In the middle of all killers with barely anything interesting about them, even when compared to the killers weaker than them.

    That's why I would be very open to changing them drastically to give them a much stronger identity. Although there would be some people...@Sonzaishinai who would feel alienated if they were changed this much, I think they would gain a much stronger identity and many more people would enjoy playing as, and against them compared to how they are now.

  • @SirCracken said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1844580#Comment_1844580

    I've said several times now that I made this post with zero intention of my ideas being added into the game. I made it for my own sake and nothing else. Legion getting some QoL changes is honestly the best I can hope for in terms of their design problems at least being acknowledged.

    Nurse needs her many bugs and map glitches addressed, and if possible the change to her base power reverted. It was unnecessarily nerfed and just served to make her more frustrating in combination of the bugs I just mentioned. And her low pickrate is symptom of how clunky she is to play. But this does not mean the pick rate chart is an accurate assertion of how well, or poorly, designed a killer is.

    Pig has the 2nd highest kill rate in the entire game. But her power is unreliable and generally weak. She's an M1 killer with a bit more time to hunt survivors than other killers and a super situational dash. If we were to follow the logic that the chart is an accurate sign of how well she is designed then it would make sense to nerf her, even though she clearly is not in need of a nerf. That is why Legion being in the middle is not evidence that their design is not massively flawed.

    You shouldn't be pandered to because to because balancing the game around the most inexperienced players makes gameplay at higher levels of skill broken and often unfun. Which it often is right now funnily enough. 5 gens being done in 6 minutes or under with an entire team's worth of DS + Unbreakable's makes almost every single killer in the game powerless and those who have the capacity to fight back have to be played near perfectly or they will lose. And furthermore you should know that dbd's new playerbase never stay for long. Most likely because of the problems of the game that they become aware of as they spend more time playing it or they just lose interest. This not might be a problem were the game, and the killers, designed to better accommodate interactive gameplay.

    Allow me to use your own argument against you. Let's say that a miracle occurs and the devs suddenly decide to implement my idea, why should you care about Legion being changed when there are other killers in the game that are also have low interactivity and are easy to play such as Plague or Pig? Why should the portion of the playerbase that wants more engaging gameplay be denied because you prefer killers with easy-to-use powers? Is that not arrogance to assume that you know what's best for playerbase despite having little experience in the game?

    Yes. Having some killers be not as complicated as others is a good thing. That's why almost every killer in the game is an "M1 killer" because they have to rely on basic attacks rather than the nuanced use of their power. You can still have a fairly simple killer power that can be used creatively, Trapper is a good example of this, but that doesn't erase the very clear issues that his power has. Legion is the same.

    What you've failed to realise is that despite my scathing criticisms of Legion's design I do in fact play, and perform very well with them. I know how to mindgame at unsafe loops and make the most out of the information given to me by stabbing people. But guess what? That doesn't make my criticisms of them any less valid. In fact in adds credence to them and the only reason why I even bothered to make this post was because I've played so much of Legion that I wanted to envision them as something more interesting.

    Do not EVER use youtubers as evidence for your argument. The fact that 1 guy managed to get a 50+ win streak doesn't prove anything about the killer. It proves that whoever uses them is certainly good with them, but they are the rare exception to the general player base and thus their performance doesn't prove the killer is good. It's like getting an E-sports pro in CS:GO to ace every round with the Glock and then saying "Look how good this gun is!". Also you once again ignore how terrible the ranking system is. Being a red rank isn't a sign of skill. It's a sign of how long you've played the game.

    I have said, many times now, that you are completely free to continue liking the killer. But you don't seem to understand the difference between opinions and statements. Saying that Nurse is the best killer in the game is an objective statement. Saying that Nurse is unfun is an opinion. You keeping implying that killers being viable or not is entirely up to user interpretation when that is objectively wrong and can be proven by looking at each killer's abilities when in the hands of a capable player.

    And unless you, yourself, are in a career game development, (Which I'm just going to state for the record that I literally just finished a game design course at the end of this year which taught me valuable advice like who to balance your games for) you are in no position to tell me what career I should follow.

    Yes. Most players are casual rather than competitive. But as I previously stated most of these new players leave often after they join the playerbase, occasionally returning for a major or seasonal update, showing that dbd has a problem with player retention. I think I've repeated myself enough times on this post so I won't tell you what might possibly help with that.

    What attack? I've never attacked you personally during any of my comments. The most I've done is call you ignorant for commenting on how the game should be balanced when you have told me yourself that you are a casual player and do not play the game as often as me.

    Let me ask you something. You say you're a casual player, you've implied that you have a job and a family to take care of, why do you attach yourself so much to this fictional character? Why does stating the very obvious flaws they have cause you to take that criticism personally and ignore all reasoning behind said criticism? Other people are open to their favourite killers having their problems fixed, why can't you?

    I think we best just agree to disagree. You seem to be misunderstanding a lot of what I'm saying and judging from your response I seem to also mis understand a lot of what you are saying.

    For example I never said the game should be balanced around me. All i want is not have the repeat of the Fredy situation where gameplay that i enjoyed is just lost forever.

    Have a good end of the year and I apologize for the remark about your game designing career. That was indeed uncalled for.

  • @Sonzaishinai said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1845230#Comment_1845230

    I think we best just agree to disagree. You seem to be misunderstanding a lot of what I'm saying and judging from your response I seem to also mis understand a lot of what you are saying.

    For example I never said the game should be balanced around me. All i want is not have the repeat of the Fredy situation where gameplay that i enjoyed is just lost forever.

    Have a good end of the year and I apologize for the remark about your game designing career. That was indeed uncalled for.

    I concur. Have a good end of the year as well!

  • The best way to counter the knife wielding maniac is to not heal your gaping knife wounds.

    All the other arguments aside, I really like this line.

  • @BastardKing said:

    The best way to counter the knife wielding maniac is to not heal your gaping knife wounds.

    All the other arguments aside, I really like this line.

    I had a chuckle when I thought of it.