Hit validation isn't ready at all

I just played a game on my alt ~rank 10 and i found an extremely laggy legion

During the match he managed to hit many hits that shouldn't have hit..

before you watch the video, let me make this clear: the survivors weren't lagging, including me.

Watch "Dead by Daylight 2020.12.09 - 15.10.22.02" on Streamable.

This proves that either

  1. Even with hit validation, the game will prioritize the killer's connection in which it isn't fair, the game should prioritize x player that has the best connection.
  2. Hit validation is still extremely faulty and the server is still not able to identify which player has the best connection and if x hit actually connected with the survivor.


Comments

  • Ugh, I'll repeat what I keep seeing


    Hit Validation doesn't fix latency, Latency is changed through a difficult method that I honestly cannot explain without having it make more questions

  • I thought hit validation had been disabled.

    @Hoodied said:

    Ugh, I'll repeat what I keep seeing

    Hit Validation doesn't fix latency, Latency is changed through a difficult method that I honestly cannot explain without having it make more questions

    Latency is changed primarily through one simple method: move the people closer to the server they're connected to. Because, past a certain bandwidth, that's where it (mostly) comes from, the physical distance between computers.

  • If ping isn't green just dodge the lobby

  • @Hoodied said:

    Ugh, I'll repeat what I keep seeing

    Hit Validation doesn't fix latency, Latency is changed through a difficult method that I honestly cannot explain without having it make more questions

    but this shouldn't even be happening in the first place, the claudette that got downed in the video was FAR away from the killer

    she had a stable ping and she clearly got downed because the KILLER was lagging.

  • @KateDunson said:

    If ping isn't green just dodge the lobby

    this isnt a ping issue

    the lobby was green +you can clearly see in the video that there isn't a lag indicator appearing on my screen

  • @Orion said:

    I thought hit validation had been disabled.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808865#Comment_1808865

    Latency is changed primarily through one simple method: move the people closer to the server they're connected to. Because, past a certain bandwidth, that's where it (mostly) comes from, the physical distance between computers.

    They re-enabled it with the recent hotpatch, however devs did mention in a twitter thread something about "Server Sided positioning" or something like that. Its been a couple of months so I can't remember exactly what they said but it is used to fix issues where the killer swings from an extremely far distance where the survivor is not at and downs the targeted survivor

  • I really wonder how you came to the conclusion, that the game is priotizing the killers connection.

    He missed you 3 times.

  • @Hoodied said:

    Ugh, I'll repeat what I keep seeing

    Hit Validation doesn't fix latency, Latency is changed through a difficult method that I honestly cannot explain without having it make more questions

    That is literally the point of hit validation.


    And you can clearly see that wasn't just a bit of high latency if you just watch the clip.

  • @Hoodied said:

    Ugh, I'll repeat what I keep seeing

    Hit Validation doesn't fix latency, Latency is changed through a difficult method that I honestly cannot explain without having it make more questions

    I'm always willing to learn. How do you fix latency? And do other games have it?

  • @Tsulan said:

    I really wonder how you came to the conclusion, that the game is priotizing the killers connection.

    He missed you 3 times.

    refer to the claudette that got downed miles away ?

    plus i even included a second option in the main thread

  • @sQuAde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808883#Comment_1808883

    refer to the claudette that got downed miles away ?

    plus i even included a second option in the main thread

    Did you see the ping of the claudette? Maybe she was lagging. Also there is this thing called latency.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808865#Comment_1808865

    I'm always willing to learn. How do you fix latency? And do other games have it?

    @Orion mentioned one way of fixing this, the other way is something to do with the server depicting where the survivors and killers are at, CoD servers use it to prevent whoever you are shooting at to randomly walk directly in a straight line, teleport backwards, and etc.

    However take it with a grain of salt, I know more about balancing than servers here

    @SunderMun said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808865#Comment_1808865

    That is literally the point of hit validation.

    And you can clearly see that wasn't just a bit of high latency if you just watch the clip.

    Hit Validation is where the server depicts if a hit actually connected, instead of the killers hit depicting if it landed, however just like I told @dspaceman20 I am better with game balancing than server stuff so I recommend taking it with a grain of salt, thats why I just copy and pasted what other people said on other threads

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808888#Comment_1808888

    Did you see the ping of the claudette? Maybe she was lagging. Also there is this thing called latency.

    yes i know what latency is

    she* also had a stable ping, unfortunately i wasn't able to record me pressing esc to prove it but just go with my word

    some minutes later i also got a ghosthit but again, unfortunately i wasn't able to clip it

  • Maybe a desync issue what can happen every time

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808888#Comment_1808888

    Did you see the ping of the claudette? Maybe she was lagging. Also there is this thing called latency.

    Latency should be equal to ping at all instants.

    OP, I watched the clip several times now. My best guess is that you started lagging, but not enough to have the alert on your screen. You can tell the red stain becomes "jittery" after the first second or so.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808892#Comment_1808892

    Latency should be equal to ping at all instants.

    OP, I watched the clip several times now. My best guess is that you started lagging, but not enough to have the alert on your screen. You can tell the red stain becomes "jittery" after the first second or so.

    i'm sorry but disagree, i wasn't lagging

    there were other cases during the match in which the other survivors experienced some other ghost hits

    There was this time in which the killer attempted to vault a window and he teleported back to the other side.

  • @Hoodied said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808885#Comment_1808885

    @Orion mentioned one way of fixing this, the other way is something to do with the server depicting where the survivors and killers are at, CoD servers use it to prevent whoever you are shooting at to randomly walk directly in a straight line, teleport backwards, and etc.

    However take it with a grain of salt, I know more about balancing than servers here

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808884#Comment_1808884

    Hit Validation is where the server depicts if a hit actually connected, instead of the killers hit depicting if it landed, however just like I told @dspaceman20 I am better with game balancing than server stuff so I recommend taking it with a grain of salt, thats why I just copy and pasted what other people said on other threads

    I guess one good thing about this is that I don't get hit through windows.

  • Damn that's bright and fish eyed. How can you play it this ugly?

  • @sQuAde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808909#Comment_1808909

    i'm sorry but disagree, i wasn't lagging

    there were other cases during the match in which the other survivors experienced some other ghost hits

    There was this time in which the killer attempted to vault a window and he teleported back to the other side.

    there were other cases during the match in which the other survivors experienced some other ghost hits

    From whose point of view? See, therein lies the problem. If you're the one lagging, then everything looks weird to you.

  • @burt0r said:

    Damn that's bright and fish eyed. How can you play it this ugly?

    you get used to it just like how you get used to low res

  • @sQuAde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808926#Comment_1808926

    you get used to it just like how you get used to low res

    Everything for the win, I guess?

  • @sQuAde said:

    I just played a game on my alt ~rank 10 and i found an extremely laggy legion

    During the match he managed to hit many hits that shouldn't have hit..

    before you watch the video, let me make this clear: the survivors weren't lagging, including me.

    https://streamable.com/jrbm5e

    This proves that either

    1. Even with hit validation, the game will prioritize the killer's connection in which it isn't fair, the game should prioritize x player that has the best connection.
    2. Hit validation is still extremely faulty and the server is still not able to identify which player has the best connection and if x hit actually connected with the survivor.

    Exactly hit validation is not ready at all and it shows. The killers still have their hit priority and the validation fails to check of the hit should connect. The best bet is to just play killer (my solution).

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808922#Comment_1808922

    there were other cases during the match in which the other survivors experienced some other ghost hits

    From whose point of view? See, therein lies the problem. If you're the one lagging, then everything looks weird to you.

    If i was the one lagging, the survivors should have also started stuttering around, this clearly wasn't the case

  • @sQuAde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808927#Comment_1808927

    If i was the one lagging, the survivors should have also started stuttering around, this clearly wasn't the case

    Good point. I don't think it was the killer lagging because you would've been hit several times while looping if it had been.

  • DBD punishing you for not doing the CJ

  • I'm just going to copy and paste this here: Even if hit validation worked as intended you'll still be seeing hits like that. Even if you had hit validation be fully survivor sided you'll still see bs hits (it'll be much rarer but across all players you'll get a bunch of juicy clips) or teleporting killers. There's no way to get rid of latency in an online game. It doesn't matter whose the one lagging or nobody is lagging. You'll still see something different from what the server sees, the killer sees and vice versa.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808941#Comment_1808941

    Good point. I don't think it was the killer lagging because you would've been hit several times while looping if it had been.

    Killer missed 3 times. Can´t be the killer.

    Most probable thing is, even with the server sided hit detection, the system has it´s limits. It will never be as good as when the killer was the host with p2p and a good connection.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808953#Comment_1808953

    Killer missed 3 times. Can´t be the killer.

    Most probable thing is, even with the server sided hit detection, the system has it´s limits. It will never be as good as when the killer was the host with p2p and a good connection.

    The system does indeed have its limits. Even the best system can't ignore the finite speed of light.

    It will never be as good as when the killer was the host with p2p and a good connection.

    Debatable. Even good connections have lag spikes from time to time.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808953#Comment_1808953

    Killer missed 3 times. Can´t be the killer.

    Most probable thing is, even with the server sided hit detection, the system has it´s limits. It will never be as good as when the killer was the host with p2p and a good connection.

    literially the opposite, the killer didnt managed to hit me because he was the one lagging, he was seeing me some secs behind

    the system did actually managed to identify that he was the one lagging, so it cancelled some of his hits


    But, the system did fail to identify that hit at the end

  • @sQuAde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808970#Comment_1808970

    literially the opposite, the killer didnt managed to hit me because he was the one lagging, he was seeing me some secs behind

    the system did actually managed to identify that he was the one lagging, so it cancelled some of his hits

    But, the system did fail to identify that hit at the end

    Sorry, no. Either the system worked and he should've missed every time, or it didn't and he should've hit every time. The system can't suddenly stop working from one moment to another.

  • @sQuAde said:

    I just played a game on my alt ~rank 10 and i found an extremely laggy legion

    During the match he managed to hit many hits that shouldn't have hit..

    before you watch the video, let me make this clear: the survivors weren't lagging, including me.

    https://streamable.com/jrbm5e

    This proves that either

    1. Even with hit validation, the game will prioritize the killer's connection in which it isn't fair, the game should prioritize x player that has the best connection.
    2. Hit validation is still extremely faulty and the server is still not able to identify which player has the best connection and if x hit actually connected with the survivor.

    To be honest, the "swings" against you and the kate seen accurate. It is most likely the other Claudette's connection, since all other hits seem fine.

    Now don't get me wrong, I've notice quite a few more "odd" hits in the last 24 hours, but this video actually kinda shows hit detection working. It favors those with a good connection to the server, which appears to be you, kate and the killer. The other person mostly likely had a bad connection and were not in the same place on your screen as they were on the server.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808981#Comment_1808981

    Sorry, no. Either the system worked and he should've missed every time, or it didn't and he should've hit every time. The system can't suddenly stop working from one moment to another.

    Sorry, no. Like i said, there were other cases that the killer was lagging. For example, later into the match i was looping the killer in the main building and he attemped to vault a window, soon after he teleported right back outside - i dont have video proof toh.

    I'm just telling the truth, i'm not asking you to believe me.

  • @mouse0270 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/212448/hit-validation-isnt-ready-at-all

    To be honest, the "swings" against you and the kate seen accurate. It is most likely the other Claudette's connection, since all other hits seem fine.

    Now don't get me wrong, I've notice quite a few more "odd" hits in the last 24 hours, but this video actually kinda shows hit detection working. It favors those with a good connection to the server, which appears to be you, kate and the killer. The other person mostly likely had a bad connection and were not in the same place on your screen as they were on the server.

    if kate, me and the killer had a connection she shouldn't be seeing him stuttering around.

  • @Terro said:

    I'm just going to copy and paste this here: Even if hit validation worked as intended you'll still be seeing hits like that. Even if you had hit validation be fully survivor sided you'll still see bs hits (it'll be much rarer but across all players you'll get a bunch of juicy clips) or teleporting killers. There's no way to get rid of latency in an online game. It doesn't matter whose the one lagging or nobody is lagging. You'll still see something different from what the server sees, the killer sees and vice versa.

    If there is now way to get rid of latency in games doesn't that mean that the best solution would be to reduce the amount of latency as much as possible? If other online games have reduced latency then this one should as well.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808981#Comment_1808981

    Sorry, no. Either the system worked and he should've missed every time, or it didn't and he should've hit every time. The system can't suddenly stop working from one moment to another.

    I think we´ll see a lot more threads like this one in the next weeks. From survivors that simply can´t believe that the system works but has it´s limitations.

    @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808970#Comment_1808970

    The system does indeed have its limits. Even the best system can't ignore the finite speed of light.

    It will never be as good as when the killer was the host with p2p and a good connection.

    Debatable. Even good connections have lag spikes from time to time.

    Same goes for servers. Even they can lag spike.

  • @Tsulan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808986#Comment_1808986

    I think we´ll see a lot more threads like this one in the next weeks. From survivors that simply can´t believe that the system works but has it´s limitations.

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808978#Comment_1808978

    Same goes for servers. Even they can lag spike.

    Same goes for servers. Even they can lag spike.

    I'd expect PCs to lag before servers.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1809034#Comment_1809034

    Same goes for servers. Even they can lag spike.

    I'd expect PCs to lag before servers.

    Ping spike doesn´t have to be the server. Can be something in between.

  • @sQuAde said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808989#Comment_1808989

    if kate, me and the killer had a connection she shouldn't be seeing him stuttering around.

    The video you posted, does not show the killer "stuttering around". So given the video we have access to, its more likely that the other Claudette had a bad connection.

  • @dspaceman20 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1808962#Comment_1808962

    If there is now way to get rid of latency in games doesn't that mean that the best solution would be to reduce the amount of latency as much as possible? If other online games have reduced latency then this one should as well.

    But then which pov do we prioritize? You prioritize the servers pov and nobody will be happy cuz both sides will see a lot of weird things. Prioritize the killer side and survivors won't be happy, while you still see weird things on the Killer's end. Prioritize the survivor side and killer's won't be happy, while survivors will still see weird things. Not to mention the fact that killers might just be chasing shadows of survivors now. Then you do the half-assed measure that the devs did which only cuts out the extreme cases of lag for killers, while still keeping it killer sided pretty much leads to this.

  • Would you mind lowering your FoV next time? Whilst I can assume it might've been lag, the fact that the FoV stretches the res so hard makes me think it might've been a shorter range

  • @mouse0270 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1809005#Comment_1809005

    The video you posted, does not show the killer "stuttering around". So given the video we have access to, its more likely that the other Claudette had a bad connection.

    This.