Do you actually ban people for chat harrasment or am i wasting my time filing reports?

In the last days ( idk why since in over 4k hrs i had rare sights of such behaviour) i had killers harrassing either me or my teammates in very serious ways.

I got one particular killer that promised to both #########, kill and do very unpleasant stuff to my gf in real life.

I reported him and he's still playing the game as nothing ever happened, so my question is: Do both ingame and dbd help center reports do anything or am i just wasting my time? In case he won't be punished in any way, do you think it's an healthy thing to allow such behaviour on your game?

Tagged: Mod

Comments

  • Yes, they ban people for chat harassment. However, bans happen in waves, and nobody outside the mod team knows how often they happen.

  • if they use the in game chat then they will get banned. An in game report with the respective category is sufficient, in this case the chat will be saved and transmitted. An additional player report is not needed.


    if they use platform specific mechanics to message you, you have to report them via your platform, BHVR don’t have Access to those profiles and chats and don’t have any rights to ban because of something outside of their game

  • In addition to what's been said on this thread, you won't know if action has or hasn't been taken in this case cue to the nature of the punishments. You don't know if someone receives a temporary, or even permanent, ban through chat violations (in-game ones, I mean) because they occur within the game itself and prevent you getting past the loading screen. This is different than VAC bans, or EAC bans, which enable you to open the game and perform all offline functions but make creating lobbies or entering queue times impossible, and these bans are displayed proudly on the offender's profile.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    In addition to what's been said on this thread, you won't know if action has or hasn't been taken in this case cue to the nature of the punishments. You don't know if someone receives a temporary, or even permanent, ban through chat violations (in-game ones, I mean) because they occur within the game itself and prevent you getting past the loading screen. This is different than VAC bans, or EAC bans, which enable you to open the game and perform all offline functions but make creating lobbies or entering queue times impossible, and these bans are displayed proudly on the offender's profile.

    Homophobic, racial, and death/######### offences in a single chat should result in an automatic permaban imho but devs are the one that decides.

  • @Freddy96 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732041#Comment_1732041

    Homophobic, racial, and death/######### offences in a single chat should result in an automatic permaban imho but devs are the one that decides.

    I agree, without a doubt, however chat offences follow an escalation system because, as heinous as things are, people can slip up and make mistakes when provoked, or just incredibly angry in the first place. Therefore I also don't mind the system they currently have; it ensures people who make mistakes learn from those mistakes, and people who do it knowingly or don't learn from their mistakes are dealt with.

  • Yeah I’m really curious about what kind of punishment people get for chat harassment. I’ve had several people call me all kinds of horrible, hateful slurs lately and it’s frustrating that you never know if the devs even read the report, nevermind if they did anything about it.

  • @xenotimebong said:

    Yeah I’m really curious about what kind of punishment people get for chat harassment. I’ve had several people call me all kinds of horrible, hateful slurs lately and it’s frustrating that you never know if the devs even read the report, nevermind if they did anything about it.

    Afaik the escalation involves a warning (or several, I'm not sure), then temp bans of like, a day, several days, a week, 2 weeks, a month, then a permanent one.

    Edit: please bear in mind that I am not a developer or a moderator and I do not have confirmation on the exact escalation system, so please take these values with several mountains of salt and maybe a touch of crack.

  • @xenotimebong said:

    Yeah I’m really curious about what kind of punishment people get for chat harassment. I’ve had several people call me all kinds of horrible, hateful slurs lately and it’s frustrating that you never know if the devs even read the report, nevermind if they did anything about it.

    Peanits has proven, repeatedly, that they read reports.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732059#Comment_1732059

    Peanits has proven, repeatedly, that they read reports.

    Can you be more specific? Proven how?

  • i like the salt survivors gives me at one point i had 200 plus steam comments

  • Yes and yes.

    Yes, action does get taken if justified.

    Yes, you are wasting your time. Its just words. Ignore and spend your time on better things, like the next game.

  • In one case, a user sent a valid report, but with a message for the ACM team (those are the ones that deal with reports, if memory serves), then opened a thread to see if the reports actually went anywhere. Peanits replied to that user, who confirmed that, indeed, their report had been read.

  • @musefan said:

    Yes and yes.

    Yes, action does get taken if justified.

    Yes, you are wasting your time. Its just words. Ignore and spend your time on better things, like the next game.

    Nah, it's not a waste of time. People like this also tend to be toxic in-game, so reporting them helps improve the game experience for everyone.

  • @musefan said:

    Yes and yes.

    Yes, action does get taken if justified.

    Yes, you are wasting your time. Its just words. Ignore and spend your time on better things, like the next game.

    "It's just words" is a pretty ######### thing to say. People can get hurt by words, and it can actually be incredibly damaging to someone's mental health. Being called a ######### day in, day out is pretty crushing to your self esteem, for example, and bullying is a serious issue among current young people.

    There's already a negative stigma surrounding mental health, that anyone with mental health issues are weak and useless, that it's inferior to physical health issues, that it's not an issue in the first place. Please don't perpetuate this further.

  • That is very sad, I'm so sorry. Just know not everyone is like that, and I get what your coming from. Damn I wish there was more positivity and less toxicity in this community. We don't need that kind of negative ######### in a time like this

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732068#Comment_1732068

    In one case, a user sent a valid report, but with a message for the ACM team (those are the ones that deal with reports, if memory serves), then opened a thread to see if the reports actually went anywhere. Peanits replied to that user, who confirmed that, indeed, their report had been read.

    Here's the thread, if anyone's curious or doubts me: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/62753/devs-its-time-to-prove-the-report-system-actually-works

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732072#Comment_1732072

    "It's just words" is a pretty ######### thing to say. People can get hurt by words, and it can actually be incredibly damaging to someone's mental health. Being called a ######### day in, day out is pretty crushing to your self esteem, for example, and bullying is a serious issue among current young people.

    There's already a negative stigma surrounding mental health, that anyone with mental health issues are weak and useless, that it's inferior to physical health issues, that it's not an issue in the first place. Please don't perpetuate this further.

    Lol good going on making something out of nothing there...

    Guess you seen an opportunity to belittle somebody and pounced right on it...

  • @musefan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732078#Comment_1732078

    Lol good going on making something out of nothing there...

    Guess you seen an opportunity to belittle somebody and pounced right on it...

    Not really what happened but do keep trying, I'm sure you'll guess correctly eventually.

  • @musefan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732078#Comment_1732078

    Lol good going on making something out of nothing there...

    Guess you seen an opportunity to belittle somebody and pounced right on it...

    How is he belittling you? He's pointing out why you're wrong and then asked you not to help disseminate false information.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732083#Comment_1732083

    How is he belittling you? He's pointing out why you're wrong and then asked you not to help disseminate false information.

    Its a pretty "whatever word" thing to say.

    That is twisting my comment and trying to make me feel like I have said something horrible.

    This is aimed to make me feel like I am a bad person for what I have said. Even though it had nothing to do with peoples mental health - and was very much uncalled for.

  • Idk man, I reported a couple of complete jerks who were harassing every girl in the game and they still play as nothing happened, soo

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732072#Comment_1732072

    "It's just words" is a pretty ######### thing to say. People can get hurt by words, and it can actually be incredibly damaging to someone's mental health. Being called a ######### day in, day out is pretty crushing to your self esteem, for example, and bullying is a serious issue among current young people.

    There's already a negative stigma surrounding mental health, that anyone with mental health issues are weak and useless, that it's inferior to physical health issues, that it's not an issue in the first place. Please don't perpetuate this further.

    I'm copying this comment for whenever somebody says bullying is "just words".

    Thank you for a perfect comment.

  • @musefan said:

    Yes and yes.

    Yes, action does get taken if justified.

    Yes, you are wasting your time. Its just words. Ignore and spend your time on better things, like the next game.

    It wasn't just words, he literally said he's gonna find her kill her, ######### her and do stuff to her corpse in a very horrible way. People like this not only should be banned from dbd but steam also.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732078#Comment_1732078

    I'm copying this comment for whenever somebody says bullying is "just words".

    Thank you for a perfect comment.

    You're welcome I guess? I'd suggest replacing the [BAD WORD]s with actual words though because otherwise it'll look really weird lmao

  • @Freddy96 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732072#Comment_1732072

    It wasn't just words, he literally said he's gonna find her kill her, ######### her and do stuff to her corpse in a very horrible way. People like this not only should be banned from dbd but steam also.

    WhenWhen I made my original comment I didn't realise it was this bad. This ######### is not tolerated by bhvr and they will take action against it.

  • @Leachy_Jr said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732078#Comment_1732078

    I'm copying this comment for whenever somebody says bullying is "just words".

    Thank you for a perfect comment.

    Yes. Because twisting someones comment to make them feel ashamed and singled out isn't at all bullying 🙄

  • @musefan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732152#Comment_1732152

    Yes. Because twisting someones comment to make them feel ashamed and singled out isn't at all bullying 🙄

    That isn't what I did though? I took issue with your wording and then contested that wording.

    And if you want me to really be pedantic, bullying is actually defined as "constant, targeted nastiness from one person or a group of people to another person or group of people" so even if it was my intention to do what you're suggesting, it actually still isn't bullying by definition.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I've been harassed in the chat more times than I can count. I've never once thought about using a report feature because I'm not a prissy boy who gets offended by random words from some random player.

    You guys need to learn not to be so emotionally fragile and cry when someone calls you a bad name. Get over it or close the chat box, its not difficult.

    @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732072#Comment_1732072

    "It's just words" is a pretty ######### thing to say. People can get hurt by words, and it can actually be incredibly damaging to someone's mental health. Being called a ######### day in, day out is pretty crushing to your self esteem, for example, and bullying is a serious issue among current young people.

    There's already a negative stigma surrounding mental health, that anyone with mental health issues are weak and useless, that it's inferior to physical health issues, that it's not an issue in the first place. Please don't perpetuate this further.


  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732168#Comment_1732168

    That isn't what I did though? I took issue with your wording and then contested that wording.

    And if you want me to really be pedantic, bullying is actually defined as "constant, targeted nastiness from one person or a group of people to another person or group of people" so even if it was my intention to do what you're suggesting, it actually still isn't bullying by definition.

    All good as long as you only do it the one time then 😐

    And you didn't question my wording. You immediately attacked me for saying it.

  • @musefan said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732173#Comment_1732173

    All good as long as you only do it the one time then 😐

    And you didn't question my wording. You immediately attacked me for saying it.

    You're right, I didn't question your wording, because it was just downright wrong. Wrong there as in incorrect. If it was an issue with misinterpretation, I apologise, but the issues of mental health are a pretty touchy subject for me so I can get defensive rather quickly about it all.

    Again, if it was an issue of miscommunication then I'm sorry.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I mean no seriously, you have the immediate ability to close the chat box and forever deny insults. Period.

    If you can't handle a few bad words in a game how you survive real life I have no clue.

    I'll tell you how I survived: I almost didn't. Insults and bullying got too much and I'm lucky that I ######### it up because otherwise I wouldn't be here to argue this with you.

    Yes, you can close the chatbox, and let these ######### get away scot-free, but trivialising mental health issues just isn't it chief.

  • Your probably wasting your time. If you upload your clip to YouTube you can see how many views it gets. Set it to unlisted and send that link with your report and you'll know when they view it.

    So far the last 3 I sent haven't been seen

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I've been harassed in the chat more times than I can count. I've never once thought about using a report feature because I'm not a prissy boy who gets offended by random words from some random player.

    You guys need to learn not to be so emotionally fragile and cry when someone calls you a bad name. Get over it or close the chat box, its not difficult.

    If you don't want to report people then don't, just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean that that's something to aspire to or that everyone must follow your example.

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732176#Comment_1732176

    If you don't want to report people then don't, just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean that that's something to aspire to or that everyone must follow your example.

    Please tell me that quote is from Harry Potter, from Hermione to Ron.

  • @GoodBoyKaru said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732203#Comment_1732203

    Please tell me that quote is from Harry Potter, from Hermione to Ron.

    Didn't actually remember but I think so? Should have been more original. "Emotional range of a shoe" maybe

  • @Aneurysm said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732206#Comment_1732206

    Didn't actually remember but I think so? Should have been more original. "Emotional range of a shoe" maybe

    Yeah shoe is definitely slightly more creative

  • They do ban for chat harassment, depending on what's been said there's a different range of punishments, from a 24 hours ban to a permanent ban, with an escalation process as well.

    You can find all the information you need about it here:

    @not_Queen said:

    Please remember that Dead by Daylight’s end user license agreement which can be found on https://deadbydaylight.com/en/eula (the “EULA”) governs your participation and use of the game and its associated upgrades, patches, and updates and related services. In case of conflict between the EULA and this page, the EULA will prevail.

    Hello, good people of the fog!

    We now have a team Associate Community Managers, as well as an updated in-game report system.
    With your help, we will be able to find the players who are creating a bad game experience and punish them appropriately, making the game a better place.

    HOW TO REPORT A PLAYER

    You may only report things that happen directly to you or in a game that you were in.
    Reporting for other people is not allowed and these reports will be discarded.
    (ie. Reporting someone on behalf of a friend, streamer, or other)

    Fill the In-game report

    An In-game report MUST be made. This is not optional, and is a must to help us identify the person in your game as well as find any other evidence we need.

    Customer Support ticket?

    • Video evidence is required or heavily suggested for some offenses, please refer to the lists below.
    • Whilst you can report offenses directly to our support, please only do so for serious offenses like cheating, hacking, DOX/death threats.

    Discarded reports reasons

    THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT CONSIDERED BANNABLE OFFENSES - PLEASE DO NOT REPORT

    • Camping
    • Slugging
    • Tunneling
    • Streamsniping
    • Teabagging
    • Bodyblocking
    • Looping

    NOTE:
    We do not control anything that happens outside of Dead by Daylight.
    This includes private Steam messages/groups/names, PS4/XBOX messages, Discord messages, Twitch/social media interactions, etc. Anything that occurs on these platforms must be reported to the respective authorities.

    PERMANENT BANS

    List of bannable offenses

    Hacking in-game exclusives and / or legacy skins

    The acquiring of any in-game skin through anything other than official channels (ie. codes, giveaways, etc.)
    The possession of legacy skins without earning them. The cutoff to earn legacy skins happened on November 24, 2016. If a player has obtained legacy skins after this date, then it is considered cheating.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    Cheated progress / modifying your save file

    We need the profile of the person you are reporting. Reportable via support team.
    Using any 3rd party software or other method to cheat your save file or any measure of progress contained within your save file. This includes using someone else’s save file.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    Threats

    Excessive and serious threats against someone, including DOX threats, life threats, disclosing private information, etc.
    You can fill a support ticket to provide more information, Screenshots and video are optional, but highly recommended.
    Reminder: everything that happens out of the game should be reported to the appropriate platform. (ie: Twitch, Discord, Steam, Sony, Microsoft)
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Other Hacks

    In-game report under Unsportsmanlike is MANDATORY
    Using 3rd party software or other tools to gain any kind of unfair advantage that wasn’t intended by the game, except if they have been whitelisted by us. We are not banning for the use of communication apps.
    In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket REQUIRED

    TEMPORARY BAN

    List of bannable offenses

    24h -> 48h -> 1w -> Permanent

    This is a sliding scale and determined on a case-by-case basis. If an offense is considered to be particularly egregious, the duration of the ban may skip one or more steps in this process.

    Any previous permanent bans on your record will result in all future offenses being a permanent ban.

    Harassment: Communications Abuse

    • Insults, intimidation, hateful speech, repeated harassment
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Griefing: Intentional Gameplay Abuse

    • Working with the opposite team to gain an advantage or grief teammates
    • Targeting specific users repeatedly in order to ruin their game experience
    • Holding the game hostage
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Exploits: Abusing bugs or errors in design to gain a competitive advantage

    • Advertising exploits
    • Exploit bugs, errors in design, or undocumented features to gain access to what otherwise would not be available or to obtain a competitive advantage
      In-game report REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    Specific exploits that we will ban for until they are resolved:

    • Bloodweb Progress/Prestige Exploit
    • 2+ Killer Exploits

    Unsportsmanlike Conduct

    • Botting
    • Lag switching
    • Disconnects (leaving the match before killed or sacrificed) - DO NOT REPORT
      For both Botting and Lag switching, in-game reports are REQUIRED / Customer Support ticket OPTIONAL

    About Disconnects bans - DO NOT REPORT

    Disconnects are handled by the disconnection penalty system. No further action will be taken on reports.

    BAN APPEALS

    Cannot be appealed

    • Temporary bans
    • Social Media bans/blocks (Twitch, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
    • Unofficial Fan sites / Fan groups

    Forum bans: APPEALS

    Please check this link.
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/kb/articles/140-ban-appeals

    Permanent bans : APPEALS

    Send a Ticket to support.deadbydaylight.com
    If the ban is an automated EAC ban, please contact EAC directly. https://www.easy.ac/en-us/support/game/contact/appeal/

    Console bans

    The rules are the same as the PC bans

    Crossplatform ban evasion

    Players who have violated our rules multiple times leading to permanent bans could get their access revoked on any accounts they make if the player is seen committing bannable offenses after the very first permanent ban. The structure and severity of these bans are followed throughout any platform.

    Abuse of Support Services

    This includes making false support tickets and lying to support agents. Our agents are always here to help the community. However, those making false tickets just to get a step ahead of everyone else and take advantage hinders our ability to better help everyone. Penalties include suspension of your support services, up to a permanent ban of your in-game account.

    That said, referring to those commenting on this thread, please keep in mind people have different ways to react to comments and words, it's not "just words" for everyone, don't belittle people's mental health and people's sensitivity, thank you.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I've been harassed in the chat more times than I can count. I've never once thought about using a report feature because I'm not a prissy boy who gets offended by random words from some random player.

    You guys need to learn not to be so emotionally fragile and cry when someone calls you a bad name. Get over it or close the chat box, its not difficult.

    Saying that he will #########, kill and carve out her corpse it's not about being fragile or getting called names

  • So if in response to 'ezgg' spam i happen to mention someones mother having fun with my private parts....

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    I mean no seriously, you have the immediate ability to close the chat box and forever deny insults. Period.

    If you can't handle a few bad words in a game how you survive real life I have no clue.

    Do you often get death threats in real life? I don’t and I wouldn’t tolerate it there either.

    People in real life get knocked out for insulting the wrong person. Threatening to ######### someone to their face can get you assaulted or visited by the police. That’s why these losers feel the need to hurl insults in video games, they don’t have the backbone to say anything irl where they might have to deal with repercussions for what they say.

  • Find a standard answer like "you kids should not play grown up game. Bye!" or something then report and leave. Or don't even watch what is written after a game. On Xbox you can block all messages and play how you want without ever hearing a complain.

  • Would be nice to have a mute ability to enable so you don't have to read post game chat :)

  • just dont pay attention to it. gg ez

  • Small update, the player got a ingame ban on his profile this morning, can't be 100% sure it is about dbd but it's really likely it was for that. So yeah thankfully he won't be able to behave like this anymore.

  • @xenotimebong said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1732196#Comment_1732196

    Do you often get death threats in real life? I don’t and I wouldn’t tolerate it there either.

    People in real life get knocked out for insulting the wrong person. Threatening to ######### someone to their face can get you assaulted or visited by the police. That’s why these losers feel the need to hurl insults in video games, they don’t have the backbone to say anything irl where they might have to deal with repercussions for what they say.

    Precisely this. In the real world, there's consequences for acting like a little #########. In the op's example, that would get you arrested as "communicating threats" in a heartbeat, assuming it didn't get you kicked into the hospital first.

    Sadly, the nature of the internet prevents most real world consequences from acting like a sociopath to be leveled on the instigator. So having companies actually apply some consequences to it because the players cannot is perfectly healthy. It's how you get things like "society" and "community". If everyone acted in person the way lots of these people do online, we'd be living in a full on mad max universe.