There are good reasons as to why people find some killers boring to play against.

Edit: Changed the title cuz it sounded entitled :P

Sorry very important note, I did not make it clear at all that I'm talking about the context of survivor killer interaction within chase. Not stealthing, not winning, but rather the fundamental aspects of a chase that make the chase fun.

Also I haven't played since the update sorry I don't know how much PH has changed.

God I ######### hate it when people cannot understand what a boring killer is. A boring killer is a killer that can feel oppressive, have incredibly repetitive counter-play, or not having any information to counter-play the killer which leads to guessing. Clown, spirit, deathslinger, and pyramid head all fall under this category regardless of their strength. Clown is debatably the worst killer, and spirit is the second best killer, they are both very boring to go against imo. The counter-play for clown is to run up to a pallet and pre drop it every ######### time. Pyramid head is oppressive because at a loop, if the Pyramid head is average, or even a bad player, but knows that as long as he puts his sword in the ground once he reaches the pallet, there is absolutely nothing you can do, and you are going to get hit or go down. For spirit and deathslinger, you have to constantly guess as to what they're going to do, but it's not an equal guessing game, it's tipped towards the killers side. An example of a fair guessing game is a 50/50 on a t-and l wall. An imbalanced guessing game is when deathslinger keeps ads(aiming down sights) at you and you have to guess (notice I say guess, not react) when he will shoot and when he will not. When someone makes the point "oh your just bad because these killer counter loops haha trash survivor main," it means ######### all. I adore playing against Oni, Huntress, Hillbilly, Nurse, and Blight, and they are all good within chase. Also if you want to play dbd for the intimidating and scary aspect of the chase, this is not the game for that. It simply isn't. This game in its current state is not meant to be scary. Maybe it was intended to be at launch, but at it's current state it is an extremely unique asymmetrical HORROR THEMED multiplayer, not a horror multiplayer. Anyways I don't know why you read this all but this is my opinion and I would love to have some friendly arguments below :)

P.S. Sorry if I come out as aggressive I'm just really annoyed of people just completely ignoring my points on this topic by just saying "mAyBe yOU jUsT neED tO gEt beTTeR haHA!" it adds nothing to the conversation and it annoys me.

I will try to reach all the comments, I'm just one guy :(

Sorry very important note, I did not make it clear at all that I'm talking about the context of survivor killer interaction within chase. Not stealthing, not winning, but rather the fundamental aspects of a chase that make the chase fun.

Also, I'm trying to tell people what people mean what boring killers are. I'm trying to justify why people think this way, and why people find certain killers boring. Idrc if you think these killers are fun to play against, and as a matter of fact I envy you, but I just want people to understand what I mean by a boring killer.

Comments

  • @Begraero said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1728760#Comment_1728760

    IMO Clown is the worst killer in the game, most killers in the game have snowball potential and nearly all of them have something rooting for them. Clown has literally nothing. The only good thing I see about clown is punishing survivors mistakes and that is too inconsistent and unreliable. I think he is the only killer that truly really relies on that. Also you saying that huntress has no counter play doesn't make sense to me. There are multiple ways to counter something the huntress does. First chase with her? Instead of dropping the pallet keep running, see if she runs through it. If she pulls up a hatchet and you keep looping, you will not get hit. Survivors haven't even been nerfed since like 2018 so I don't even know what you mean by that. Maps have been nerfed because some maps are absolutely ridiculous. Ormond is still bonkers. Haddonfield is one of the biggest maps with one of the most amount of pallets, mother's dwelling is incredibly hard to win on with a killer with no map mobility (so like half the killers), there are still busted maps in the game. Also, you saying that all killers have counterplay doesn't make sense. It really doesn't. You can counter the hillbilly and bubba by stunning him out of their chainsaw dash with a pallet which takes skill and knowledge. You can bait nurse into blinking into the pallet and then dropping it as she appears out of her blink. You can loop any m1 killers normally without needed to adapt to a certain tile. You have to explain what you mean by most killers having limited to no counterplay. To me it barely makes any sense.

    Clown is probably my 2nd favorite killer to play at red ranks and his power is way underrated. Using his gas to slow survivors down and prevent loops is how you make him so strong. Most mindlessly waste his gas. I don't want him buffed because he will be boring to play. I use to play old Freddy a lot but now I wouldn't touch him because he's a free ez win. Shutting your brain off and winning is not really winning anything. Maps like Ormond are fair because it means the killer can't be breathing down someone's neck almost immediately after hooking someone and it's a free win for killer with tiny maps. When I say Huntress has no counterplay, a good one doesn't. They can bait the pallets, they can abuse the hitboxes, they throw right through the tiny crevaces at loops and so you have no counterplay, absolutely none. That's why a really good huntress drops all four survivors by slugging like an old nurse with 5 blinks. A huntress with 5 hatchets is just as bad. You don't need 5 hatchets to down someone, which was the argument that nurse didn't need 5 blinks to down someone. Huntress needs no more than 2 or 3. Have you noticed how fast she can throw 2 hatchets? With how sparse maps are now, she can actually hit you twice before you can get to a safe location. This is why I say she has no counterplay. She's not the #1 picked killer for no reason.


  • @Sluzzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1728797#Comment_1728797

    Clown is probably my 2nd favorite killer to play at red ranks and his power is way underrated. Using his gas to slow survivors down and prevent loops is how you make him so strong. Most mindlessly waste his gas. I don't want him buffed because he will be boring to play. I use to play old Freddy a lot but now I wouldn't touch him because he's a free ez win. Shutting your brain off and winning is not really winning anything. Maps like Ormond are fair because it means the killer can't be breathing down someone's neck almost immediately after hooking someone and it's a free win for killer with tiny maps. When I say Huntress has no counterplay, a good one doesn't. They can bait the pallets, they can abuse the hitboxes, they throw right through the tiny crevaces at loops and so you have no counterplay, absolutely none. That's why a really good huntress drops all four survivors by slugging like an old nurse with 5 blinks. A huntress with 5 hatchets is just as bad. You don't need 5 hatchets to down someone, which was the argument that nurse didn't need 5 blinks to down someone. Huntress needs no more than 2 or 3. Have you noticed how fast she can throw 2 hatchets? With how sparse maps are now, she can actually hit you twice before you can get to a safe location. This is why I say she has no counterplay. She's not the #1 picked killer for no reason.

    The reason clown is so weak is that survivors literally make sure that you can't loop them. Very simple, they camp a pallet either get or stun or don't and then your forced to break it. If the pallet is short enough then maybe you don't kick it, and you may get a hit. That is why clown is weak. At his absolute best, he is doing what most klillers do with their power effortlessly. Billy is an example. catch them in a bad spot and he will immediately down them. Clown will just hit them and the survivors will still get to another loop, and repeat the process all over again. You say that he prevents loops, yes this is true, because survivors make sure you don't loop them. You are seriously underestimating how far a survivor can go by dropping a pallet waiting for clown to kick it, and then making crazy amounts of distance. If you have fun playing him so be it, but he is not a strong killer at all. Also the argument about nurse and huntress doesn't make sense. The fact that old nurse had five blinks has nothing to do as to why huntress has five hatches. They are 2 very very different things. Blinks are infinite, hatchets are not. You WILL have to go out of your way to more hatchets, and this is not the case for blinks. Can you imagine how much worse huntress would be if you had to reload every time your done a chase? Also huntress only having 2 or 3 hatchets would mean that she would be the hardest killer to play as with no doubt, and would have less than a payoff of mastery than nurse, due to the fact of the game hindering the players ability to excel. The player will literally have absolutely no way of downing multiple survivors at a time. If that is a problem then Plague, Oni, Nurse, Myers, Blight, and Leatherface due to your logic of a killer being able to down multiple survivors at a time is an OP trait of a killer. Also I'm not even going to argue with you on Ormond, because if you play Clown at red ranks and play Ormond? You will press space bar over 20 times in that match and the gens will get done efficiently. Clown on Ormond is literally hopeless if the survivors somewhat want to win. The survivors don't even have to be good. They just need to want to win and they will on that map. Also give me proof that she is the #1 killer. She has the biggest skill ceiling of all killers so it's not a surprise that a lot of people are interested in mastering her. For some reason you also make it out that a good huntress will not miss. The best huntress players out there still miss shots. None of them are perfect. There will never be a huntress that hits 100% of their shots because that is nearly impossible to do and would encourage you to not go for cross-maps or anything that makes her rewarding outside of chase. Also if huntress had 2 hatchets and you missed one throw, then the best case scenario is that you will be playing as a m1 killer that goes at 4.4m/s and can maybe get an injured state on someone if you're really good. She would literally be unplayable. You're also making it sound like debris on maps don't exist. The most barren maps usually have debris to counter that exact thing from happening. Wretched shop, Yamaoka, and Haddonfield. If the huntress is far away, unless you do not know she is aiming at you, you'll probably not get hit unless she is a god.

  • @Begraero said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1728427#Comment_1728427

    I get what you are trying to say, but if the purpose of dead by daylight were be to scare you, then this game would've died long long ago. The devs realized that the game after some time is not supposed to scare you. That's why decisive strike was nerfed. It was originally supposed to be a perk that just let you escape outright unfairly and the devs changed it for an anti-tunneling perk. This would not have happened if the devs recognized that the game was meant to scare you. If your point is that beginners are supposed to be scared, then you would be correct. But the problem lies when those beginners do grow and get comfortable with the game. And by your logic, the once beginner would now leave the game because it is meant for people who do not want to invest time into the game. And sure the concept of being chased by a killer is scary as all hell, but this game doesn't capitalize on that. There would be much much more jumpscares and it wouldn't be an asymmetrical game anymore, only then it would truly become a horror game. In some aspects I guess it is a horror game. Like the map setting is supposed to creep you out, but it's awful at doing that. If you buy this game for the horror aspect then you are going to ask for a refund 50 hrs into playing the game.

    The game doesn't have to be aiming at scaring people. I mentioned already that I don't get your point differing between horror and horror themed. This is pretty definitely a horror game. The main purpose of a game is of course entertainment in the first place, not to disturb you. But it is a horror game.

    The DS change as "reason" for the game to be scary or not is kinda BS. This is a change for game health, not for "scare people more or less". Is Selfcare scary? Or Any Means Necessary? This has nothing to do with the game genre. Also the initial version of DS has nothing to do with being scary.

    And I don't get where I ever said that people leave the game because they grow. You conclude stuff here from nothing.

    And the game doesn't capitalize on chases being scary? Like what? I cannot even argue on that because it is just so wrong by default! And also, the game does not have to be horror like Phasmophobia to be horror. I don't get how you put your definitions. This game is a horror game. Period. This is pretty straight forward. What else should it be? Jump and Run?

  • @Deadeye said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1728510#Comment_1728510

    The game doesn't have to be aiming at scaring people. I mentioned already that I don't get your point differing between horror and horror themed. This is pretty definitely a horror game. The main purpose of a game is of course entertainment in the first place, not to disturb you. But it is a horror game.

    The DS change as "reason" for the game to be scary or not is kinda BS. This is a change for game health, not for "scare people more or less". Is Selfcare scary? Or Any Means Necessary? This has nothing to do with the game genre. Also the initial version of DS has nothing to do with being scary.

    And I don't get where I ever said that people leave the game because they grow. You conclude stuff here from nothing.

    And the game doesn't capitalize on chases being scary? Like what? I cannot even argue on that because it is just so wrong by default! And also, the game does not have to be horror like Phasmophobia to be horror. I don't get how you put your definitions. This game is a horror game. Period. This is pretty straight forward. What else should it be? Jump and Run?

    ??? There is a big difference between something that is horror and horror-themed. The main one is that one is supposed to scare you. The other is something where its first intention is not to incite horror but for something else. Rather it being entertainment, aesthetic or anything else. A good example of this is Overwatch's Jukenstein were it isn't supposed to scare you, but it's a horror themed. I really don't know how much more simpleI can get than this. And also, if it is not supposed to scare you, then how in the living ######### it is a horror game?? The point of horror games are to get you scared, and if this game doesn't do that then it is not a horror game! Sure it may be marketed that way, but that is not how the game functions. The DS change was an example as to when the devs realized that this game isn't a horror game, but an asymmetrical horror themed multiplayer game, where the main goal it to provide a game where both teams have an equal opportunity to win and outplay each other via skill and knowledge of game mechanics. It is not scary, and if you say it is not, then by definition it is not a horror game! Also when you say that "And the game doesn't capitalize on chases being scary? Like what? I cannot even argue on that because it is just so wrong by default!" Either if you meant that the chases are scary (which they aren't), or if you think that the game shouldn't be scary based upon chases (which if that is the case, then then what the actual ######### would the game have to do in order to scare you aside from killer interaction? The whole point to survivor is to interact with the killer and escape them), it doesn't change much because the chases aren't ######### scary! They do not incite fear! This game by the definition of the word horror (which is to strike fear shock or disgust), is not a horror game. Call it a Cat & Mouse game, or whatever but it is definitely not a horror game. Also the point I brought up with DS was not that the perk itself was scary, I never ever mentioned that and if I did then that is my bad. What I meant is that is that the devs recognize that the game is not meant to incite fear, shock or disgust (which by definition what a horror means), but rather an asymmetrical horror themed game where both sides deserve an equal chance of winning. If dbd was truly a horror game, no ######### would've been given about the old DS. No one would've cared as the objective that the devs focus on bringing onto their game are survivors trying to beat the killer, not be scared of them. I pointed out the fact that people grow in case you made the argument that new players should be scared. You did not and I am sorry if that caused confusion.

  • @Justalittlepeeck said:

    Git gud or quit.

    How do you delete other people's posts?

  • @Begraero said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1728381#Comment_1728381

    When I say a killer is boring, I mean that something is repetitive, or that my skill and knowledge of the game doesn't matter. If that is the context of what you mean inconvenience then you are correct. But I don't think that's what you mean. Getting destroyed by a good nurse is ok with mean, and at that point it's not an inconvenience, it's just me getting destroyed, and the nurse having a better understanding of how the killer works and has more skill than me. Meanwhile say for Clown, it doesn't really matter how good you are, as long as the killer doesn't suck ass, if you do not drop the pallet at a loop and he plays it somewhat right, he will hit you, which will result in you having to pre drop pallets against him in most of his chases. That's just an example. Against Freddy that slugs everyone with slowdown addons is boring because you're literally not doing anything. It's (almost) the same principle in a chase with deathslinger. Nothing you do really matters so at this point you're just kinda playing a cutscene until you go down. Also this is in the context that the deathslinger knows what he's doing. I agree getting slugged by a freddy with slow down addons is 10 times worse than what I'm stating, but what I'm trying to say is that the reason I find these killers boring is that nothing I do feels like it matters because I either am doing the same thing every time which gets boring for almost anything , or that my decisions don't feel like they matter.

    You're repeating Scott.

  • @Begraero said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1728932#Comment_1728932

    ??? There is a big difference between something that is horror and horror-themed. The main one is that one is supposed to scare you. The other is something where its first intention is not to incite horror but for something else. Rather it being entertainment, aesthetic or anything else. A good example of this is Overwatch's Jukenstein were it isn't supposed to scare you, but it's a horror themed. I really don't know how much more simpleI can get than this. And also, if it is not supposed to scare you, then how in the living ######### it is a horror game?? The point of horror games are to get you scared, and if this game doesn't do that then it is not a horror game! Sure it may be marketed that way, but that is not how the game functions. The DS change was an example as to when the devs realized that this game isn't a horror game, but an asymmetrical horror themed multiplayer game, where the main goal it to provide a game where both teams have an equal opportunity to win and outplay each other via skill and knowledge of game mechanics. It is not scary, and if you say it is not, then by definition it is not a horror game! Also when you say that "And the game doesn't capitalize on chases being scary? Like what? I cannot even argue on that because it is just so wrong by default!" Either if you meant that the chases are scary (which they aren't), or if you think that the game shouldn't be scary based upon chases (which if that is the case, then then what the actual ######### would the game have to do in order to scare you aside from killer interaction? The whole point to survivor is to interact with the killer and escape them), it doesn't change much because the chases aren't ######### scary! They do not incite fear! This game by the definition of the word horror (which is to strike fear shock or disgust), is not a horror game. Call it a Cat & Mouse game, or whatever but it is definitely not a horror game. Also the point I brought up with DS was not that the perk itself was scary, I never ever mentioned that and if I did then that is my bad. What I meant is that is that the devs recognize that the game is not meant to incite fear, shock or disgust (which by definition what a horror means), but rather an asymmetrical horror themed game where both sides deserve an equal chance of winning. If dbd was truly a horror game, no ######### would've been given about the old DS. No one would've cared as the objective that the devs focus on bringing onto their game are survivors trying to beat the killer, not be scared of them. I pointed out the fact that people grow in case you made the argument that new players should be scared. You did not and I am sorry if that caused confusion.

    I'm pretty sure the devs didn't suddenly realize " oh, we don't have a horror game here" and even more unlikely they said "THAT'S the reason why we need to change DS". This conclusion doesn't make sense. They were trying to balance it from the beginning.

    And I tried to find anything about what you said. And came to the conclusion that this is your own personal definition, getting back to subjectivity. Or give me some good sources that explain the difference between horror and "horror themed". I didn't find some. Wikipedia quoted: "...survival horror games. These games tend to focus on the survival of the player-character in a horror setting with limited resources" which pretty much fits to DBD.

    • "chases are scary (which they aren't)"
      • your opinion
    • "aside from killer interaction"
      • what do you think why people play stealthy? either because they are simply too bad at looping, or because they are scared of the killer.
    • the game giving equal chances has nothing to do with being not horror. With your words, the game needs to expect all 4 survivors to die in order to be a horror game or how should I read this?

    Again, I know enough people that are getting super scared by the game when they face the killer, and not only stealth killers, and also after over 400 hours. I always get back to my main point: your opinion

    EDIT: Just another little clue, not sure if you want to put your opinion above this "fact" or want to request a category change on steam because they seem to be clueless

    grafik.png


  • @Begraero said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1728932#Comment_1728932

    ??? There is a big difference between something that is horror and horror-themed. The main one is that one is supposed to scare you. The other is something where its first intention is not to incite horror but for something else. Rather it being entertainment, aesthetic or anything else. A good example of this is Overwatch's Jukenstein were it isn't supposed to scare you, but it's a horror themed. I really don't know how much more simpleI can get than this. And also, if it is not supposed to scare you, then how in the living ######### it is a horror game?? The point of horror games are to get you scared, and if this game doesn't do that then it is not a horror game! Sure it may be marketed that way, but that is not how the game functions. The DS change was an example as to when the devs realized that this game isn't a horror game, but an asymmetrical horror themed multiplayer game, where the main goal it to provide a game where both teams have an equal opportunity to win and outplay each other via skill and knowledge of game mechanics. It is not scary, and if you say it is not, then by definition it is not a horror game! Also when you say that "And the game doesn't capitalize on chases being scary? Like what? I cannot even argue on that because it is just so wrong by default!" Either if you meant that the chases are scary (which they aren't), or if you think that the game shouldn't be scary based upon chases (which if that is the case, then then what the actual ######### would the game have to do in order to scare you aside from killer interaction? The whole point to survivor is to interact with the killer and escape them), it doesn't change much because the chases aren't ######### scary! They do not incite fear! This game by the definition of the word horror (which is to strike fear shock or disgust), is not a horror game. Call it a Cat & Mouse game, or whatever but it is definitely not a horror game. Also the point I brought up with DS was not that the perk itself was scary, I never ever mentioned that and if I did then that is my bad. What I meant is that is that the devs recognize that the game is not meant to incite fear, shock or disgust (which by definition what a horror means), but rather an asymmetrical horror themed game where both sides deserve an equal chance of winning. If dbd was truly a horror game, no ######### would've been given about the old DS. No one would've cared as the objective that the devs focus on bringing onto their game are survivors trying to beat the killer, not be scared of them. I pointed out the fact that people grow in case you made the argument that new players should be scared. You did not and I am sorry if that caused confusion.

    Alright... I just saw that you changed your title and the new title actually has nothing to do with what you initially posted...

    I commented here because your first title contained something like "people are wrong when they disagree with me about boring killers and the game being no horror"

    All my comments base on that title.

    "God I [BAD WORD] hate it when people cannot understand what a boring killer is" - there is no definition of a boring killer, this is a purely personal thing

    Also "is not meant to be scary" is more a thing the devs can state, and they clearly stated it differently. When there are people that don't get scared by the game, they simply didn't reach them.



    Back to your main "idea" of the post: I wouldn't start off with "God I [BAD WORD] hate it when people cannot understand what a boring killer is" if your aim is to explain it to those people. You basically say "if you don't get it by default, I hate you" which doesn't make sense when you try to explain it

  • @Begraero said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1728354#Comment_1728354

    I respect your opinion, but how is playing against a killer like clown fun and interactive. I probably should've pointed out in the fun that the boring part is in terms of getting chased. I'm talking about the killer survivor interaction. My bad for not mentioning that. But in terms of killer-survivor interaction, fun is subjective, but not that much. Going up to a pallet over and over cannot be fun if you are looking to outplay your oppent. You running up to a pallet and dropping it immediately does not require skill. It may require knowledge, but not skill. I can make a case of the other killers but I want to talk about killer-survivor interaction of clown. There are fair guesses, and unfair guesses. A guess as to if the huntress will raise a hatchet will she approaches the pallet or run through it like a mad man is a fair guess and either side can outplay the other equally and fairly meanwhile guessing where a spirit which side of the loop where she will appear when she can hear you and know where YOU are, that is very unfair imo. I haven't talked about this issue on the forums, only on discord and youtube comments (yes im an idiot). And also the reason people enjoy getting intimidated in chase is because they don't have a full understanding of how a chase works in the first place, or they simply do not want to learn. Once you learn how to chase, it becomes more of a matter of reading your opponents, using knowledge of the maps and tiles to your advantage and taking advantage of the killer's mistakes. I have yet to find a survivor that know what they are doing in a chase and is intimidated by this game.

    You seem to be stuck on this idea that there is only one way to counter clown. Trust me only babies run to pallets and just drop them. That is not the play. Maybe that's why you don't like clown, because you only try the rank 20 strats. Tbh YOU sound boring to me. You never try new things just the same strategy every single time.

  • @Begraero said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1728826#Comment_1728826

    Yes it is very true that killers who have powers that down survivors faster will be picked more, but that's irrelevant. There is a major difference though. What good design killers will do is have a power that changes the chase and makes the survivor adapt to said changes. Huntress is a good example, billy is one too, nurse is also one, and oni is another example. It's a matter as to what the survivor can do to stop the killer from downing them as fast as possible. If someone expects a billy to respect a pallet and he doesn't the survivor goes down immediately. To me that is very fair. The survivor did a bad read and it was an equal opportunity where the billy could've respected it, and the survivor would've outplayed him by reading him. Now say for deathslinger, it is not an equal opportunity to outplay him. If he is able to see you and you are within 14 meters within his range, you will not be able to react to his shot, therefore you have to randomly guess ask to when he is going to shoot. The best play deathslinger can do is literally not shoot at all because he zones people by doing nothing. Chase time and boring killers may correlate, but it does not equal that killers who can down people fast are boring to play against. I agree with you that it sucks to go against a team who do gens efficiently. If anything all that really does is just make you better and for each game you get steamrolled, the rarer it will be that you will lose. I've played this game for a really long time and playing survivor is getting a bit unbearable. The only reason I still play this game is because sometimes they release a new killer who's really fun to play as and/or against. Again the main problem I have with what you said is that imo, correlation to the fact that some killers have fast chase time does not mean that they are boring killers to go against.

    That's where I'll agree to disagree, but thanks for being civil about it! Your reply was a nice read.

1 2 ›