Maybe some people need to rethink their definition of 'fun'

Just had a couple of games that very much ended like this:

Due to match making I (rank 17/16) got a few high ranks (upper purple and red) as Deathslinger. I'm in no way good, but in all these matches I got several hooks in and at least one of the high ranks kicked the bucket.

And each time due to one very odd thing:

Their unwillingness to change their tactics.

Now, we all already knew that's the issue, but today I had the most bizarre experience:

Red ranked Kate, I chase after her (one of the wrecker maps, the one with the small house), she tries to loop me. I'm not having it. I know what I can pull off and what not.

So I turn away. Usually survivors go on their merry way then... but the kate came after me. Very much demanding I chase her.

Again, I wasn't having it. I knocked down a jake, hooked him, and the kate stood there not helping (another jake got him off the hook)

Long story short, I hit her when she came close, shot and hooked her. She suicided on hook after I walked away (dunno if she tried to unhook herself or not).

It really seemed as if she was offended cause I didn't let her loop me.


And judging by the forum and twitter, the playstyle like that kate's is what people deem 'fun'. Why?

Comments

  • @MusicNerd_TC said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1685303#Comment_1685303

    Nah, from my experience as a blight main, alchemists ring and blighted crow are by far his best add-ons.

    With alchemists ring, you can hit a healthy survivor with a lethal rush, and make the speed boost after the hit worth nothing, because you can catch up instantly, same with blighted crow.

    Compound 33 is overpowered and absolutely top 2, but yeah I’d personally put ring as 1 and crow as 3.

  • @Xpljesus said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1685305#Comment_1685305

    Compound 33 is overpowered and absolutely top 2, but yeah I’d personally put ring as 1 and crow as 3.

    How is it overpowered?

  • @YokaiPhaseshift said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1683555#Comment_1683555

    Do you have a link to this info? I haven't heard about this, it sounds really interesting though.

    It's the new mode that came out this week or next week called Minor Arcana. There's vids of gameplay on YouTube and such.

  • Wow. That's annoying. I understand why you're frustrated; I would be too. I play both sides, so I know what you mean. My goal is not to just chase one survivor. That isn't the goal of the game. I wish people like that would just stop being so obnoxious.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    Just had a couple of games that very much ended like this:

    Due to match making I (rank 17/16) got a few high ranks (upper purple and red) as Deathslinger. I'm in no way good, but in all these matches I got several hooks in and at least one of the high ranks kicked the bucket.

    And each time due to one very odd thing:

    Their unwillingness to change their tactics.

    Now, we all already knew that's the issue, but today I had the most bizarre experience:

    Red ranked Kate, I chase after her (one of the wrecker maps, the one with the small house), she tries to loop me. I'm not having it. I know what I can pull off and what not.

    So I turn away. Usually survivors go on their merry way then... but the kate came after me. Very much demanding I chase her.

    Again, I wasn't having it. I knocked down a jake, hooked him, and the kate stood there not helping (another jake got him off the hook)

    Long story short, I hit her when she came close, shot and hooked her. She suicided on hook after I walked away (dunno if she tried to unhook herself or not).

    It really seemed as if she was offended cause I didn't let her loop me.

    And judging by the forum and twitter, the playstyle like that kate's is what people deem 'fun'. Why?

    Well chase is fun in dbd, whether you are killer or survivor as it is basicly the interaction with the other players without it we would play singleplayer games. This where all the mindgames and the outplay part comes and what makes dbd great imo.

    However yes, inviting somebody into a super strong survivor sided chase is not my idea of fun either. The kate, when she wanted to be chased, due to helping the team or whatever should also understand that you do not want to take a chase in a survivor sided area. People like this exist, they just see their side and do not understand that you as a killer do not want to chase in certain areas so inviting there is pointless.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1683512#Comment_1683512

    No, chases aren't fun to everyone. It's an odd believe, but to some people clever evading the killer is more fun. Showing how well one can use the enviroment.

    As people said, fun IS subjective, but this community is so dead-set on what you said, that only chases are fun, and that some killers are thus ruining the game because they require a change of that tactic. Which is, in a way, telling people who don't enjoy chases (for what reason ever) that they are not welcome.

    Also, I don't think the kate was a streamer, dunno.

    But the point stands: when you get obnoxious because people don't cater to you, there's something amiss. If you begin ruining the match for others cause you don't get your way, wth.

    stealth will get boring in the long term because theres not really a skill ceiling for it, which is why when you watch a streamer or a long term player they will almost never resort to stealth

  • @Kbot22 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1683958#Comment_1683958

    I honestly think legion is fine because he can keep you injured but at the end of the day he still has to down you normally which is pretty hard to do against good survivors

    people find versing regular m1 killers boring as well because of how easy it is to win chases, the uncertainty and mindgames that come with unique powers is what makes the game "fun"

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    Just had a couple of games that very much ended like this:

    Due to match making I (rank 17/16) got a few high ranks (upper purple and red) as Deathslinger. I'm in no way good, but in all these matches I got several hooks in and at least one of the high ranks kicked the bucket.

    And each time due to one very odd thing:

    Their unwillingness to change their tactics.

    Now, we all already knew that's the issue, but today I had the most bizarre experience:

    Red ranked Kate, I chase after her (one of the wrecker maps, the one with the small house), she tries to loop me. I'm not having it. I know what I can pull off and what not.

    So I turn away. Usually survivors go on their merry way then... but the kate came after me. Very much demanding I chase her.

    Again, I wasn't having it. I knocked down a jake, hooked him, and the kate stood there not helping (another jake got him off the hook)

    Long story short, I hit her when she came close, shot and hooked her. She suicided on hook after I walked away (dunno if she tried to unhook herself or not).

    It really seemed as if she was offended cause I didn't let her loop me.

    And judging by the forum and twitter, the playstyle like that kate's is what people deem 'fun'. Why?

    Quitting is bannable. From what you say here i can deduce a few things: 1) she probably wanted to depip intentionally, alot of people do that, and with quitting being penalised, the next best thing is for her to quickly die on hook. 2) she probably just wanted out. Not everyone forgets real life the moment they are in a match. The fact that you say that she was just standing there at certain points in the game could just be that the person had something to do in reality.

  • @MeltingPenguins said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1683512#Comment_1683512

    No, chases aren't fun to everyone. It's an odd believe, but to some people clever evading the killer is more fun. Showing how well one can use the enviroment.

    As people said, fun IS subjective, but this community is so dead-set on what you said, that only chases are fun, and that some killers are thus ruining the game because they require a change of that tactic. Which is, in a way, telling people who don't enjoy chases (for what reason ever) that they are not welcome.

    Also, I don't think the kate was a streamer, dunno.

    But the point stands: when you get obnoxious because people don't cater to you, there's something amiss. If you begin ruining the match for others cause you don't get your way, wth.

    It is an objective fact chases are the interaction on the survivor side. Now the majority of the community likes chases because of that. Hiding is boring, doing gens is loadbar sim. None of that is fun.

    Maybe some players like hiding but I think tis safe to say the majority of the community can agree chases are fun whh do you think they hate deathslinger so much.

    Also how many posts are you gonna make about him? It's kinda how I used to be except you seem to be find with his absurd power.

  • @Kumnut768 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1684185#Comment_1684185

    people find versing regular m1 killers boring as well because of how easy it is to win chases, the uncertainty and mindgames that come with unique powers is what makes the game "fun"

    If you against a good killer, even if they are legion or another m1 killer it is still easy to fall for mindgames especially on certain tiles.

  • Doesn't have counterplay. You can zone free with no downside, the tokens start coming back as soon as you enter the pallet break, so you slam a pallet, because of this 0.5s after basically enfurying a pallet, your one consumed token is already back, so you can instantly use the power again, you physically don't have the time to make it anywhere in most cases. There's also the hindered thing, and the fact that has a score event for this which is a benefit for detection. Blight has a good bit of counterplay normally which compound 33 negates, pallets become totally useless vs this addon. I used it twice just to try it (I main Blight) and it was just so braindead, survs had no option at a pallet, and if I go vs this addon I'm almost certainly gonna dc/suicide on first hook.

  • For new players the thrill of not being caught and escaping is the most fun way to play hence why most of them play immersed since the game is quite scary first few times you play, when you played for quite a few hours it becomes more about winning which is doing gens and playing efficient, but even escaping every time becomes old to people with thousands of hours so the only fun they get is by getting into chases and thats it, dying living means nothing to them anymore

  • If you remove chases from the game survivour has nothing to do expect hold W / M1 and occasionally pressing spacebar. The reason why there are survivours with thousands of hours is because of the interaction between players.

    If they keep releasing more killers like ds and ph those players will eventually quit as they barely get to do the one thing that they play for. However new players will always flock to this game due to popular licenses so the playerbase wouldnt even look like it was suffering when all the veterans move on.

    The reason why people find camping unfun and boring is that it ruins the game for all 4 survivours as the only one who got chased got GG the moment they got caught and everyone else has to think if its worth to even go do the gens or just afk to get to next match faster. I would love to be the one getting facecamped all the time when it happens as i atleast got the chance to get chased and get to go to new game faster than everyone else.

    The reason people complain about boring killers is because they negate the reason why they play the game and only leave you staring at loading bars for 5-10 minutes. Every killer has same counter (split up and do gens as efficently as possible) but only few truly negate the fun aspect.

1 2 ›