Can Wraith be balanced fairly?
I don't think so. Some people are gonna say wraith is op, balanced or weak bit im just looking at thisthrough a survivor and killer POV.
There are 2 things that make a killer strong.
-Map pressure
-end a chase quickly using their power
Wraith just doesn't fit any of those. Sure you could cloak and uncloak for the speed boost but will it matter?
His whole kit is countered by spine chill, flashlights and the extra long stun from pallets.
So what are the pros of wraith?
-good early game for a surprise attack
-stealth killer
And what are the cons?
-no map pressure
-stealth killer (countered by spine chill)
-can't end chases quickly (M1 killer)
-not very strong once everyone knows who the killer is
Solutions? I dont know. Every other stealth killer has something extra to their kits. Like pig gets a dash and traps or ghostface/myers gets instadowns. But i can't see how to balance him
Comments
Easy, just a few, simple changes.
These changes now better Wraith by:
Ehh when I think of map pressure I mainly thinking of how much control the killer has on a map. Like billy/huntress on larys they have no map control on it.
When I think of wraith or any stealth killer except for pig they have a map control where the survs must heal or be open to a sneak attack and get one shot downed.
The first hit is easy but getting the second hit is hard
So its always in your best interest to attack those who didn't pay attention and go for the first or second hit that why i believe any stealth killer like hag, deathslinger, wraith, and ghost face should always bring sloppy so that their presence is more there and bring a fear of being one shot.
The bane of stealth killers is the survivor's ability to heal because as long your healthy, you got "armor" vs them. This is just just an opinion but I think that all stealth killers should have access to an ultra-rare add-on that when they successfully hit a survivor through surprise attack, the survivor becomes permanently broken. This would make stealths killers genuinely scary.
Wraith All-seeing Spirit would be called All-seeing Death
Pig Amanda Letter would be called Amanda letter of Death(Applies on successful ambush attack)
Ghostface Security camera would be called Camera of Death(On mark hit)
Who knows, maybe they will release a viable stealth killer. They kinda did with Spirit but nobody treats her as stealth killer, everyone views her as legendary chase killer even though she was primarily designed with intention of stealth. another bad thing about stealth killers is that they don't got many perks that really help them. like in general the killers that are good at chase just need information and there is a lot of decent information perks for killer but when it comes to stealth? almost nothing synergies with them and they're kinda the jokes of DBD killers. I think they're even removing their ability to use sloppy and thano to keep people injured in next patch for the supposed "lose-lose" situation. Maybe they'll invent a perk that reduces healing speed per survivor injured exclusively and stealth will be a bit better than a worse legion.
Making his windstorm basekit would do a lot for his map pressure.
Honestly just windstorm and bone clapper base kit. Now he's actually quite solid.
I personally still think his "invisibility" should be actually invisible like Freddy at a distance, where his real giveaways are moving grass and his very loud grunts. His stealth is currently pretty underwhelming.
I can't understand why he is punished by flashlight or pallets when he's is invisible. It seems like an outdated mechanic
Wraith can be balanced fairly, sure. His entire thing is about not being tracked by survivors, and he's meant to be so hard to track that Spine Chill is needed as a clue to his presence. Going from that, it's clear that Wraith would need changes that let him more easily sneak up on survivors from all angles.
Changes:
He'd still be underwhelming vs all rank 1 good players than again I consider like 90% of the killers to be jokes vs good players so there is that. If I don't feel like i am getting threatened while playing survivor at rank 1 than its always learn to play issue. Its even more hilarious that Wraith has sound across walls, a global bell sound and perfectly visible camouflage for a "stealth" killers after 3 years. I know he's balancing for rank 20 new players but like if you look other games... like dota or even league of legends invisible(Twitch), DBD really spoon feeds players, even look at new trail of torment perk, they still think that showing yellow generator is "good" game design for stealth and are unable to accept that game-sense should be part of skill-cap of playing survivor even after changing the perk. Windstorm and bone clapper won't change anything.
"He'd still be underwhelming vs all rank 1 good players than again I consider like 90% of the killers to be jokes vs good players so there is that"
I'm not disagreeing with this statement. I'm saying solid vs the average players. As you said, the vast majority of the killers are non viable against "good survivors".
Of course he can.
This gives him good map pressure and an OK tool to chase tool, a very versatile kit.
The only way the Wraith can be balanced fairly is for him to get gutted and reworked like Freddy did - taking away his 'invisibility' and giving him other abilities because "not being able to see him easily" is too difficult. /s
But seriously, that was the Dev's mentality with Freddy - they just don't bother with Wraith because he's extremely add-on dependent.
I like the idea of wraith's tr being audible near a hook but 24m is absurd. Also think about Midwich and the game...wouldn't really matter because those maps are BS in all fairness but still.
I was thinking maybe 15-20 meters initially, but Wraith can move pretty fast while cloaked, so 24 seems like just enough to not let him get there and immediately down the hooked person, but I guess it can be reduced to 15.
Yeah that sounds good. You'd probably be able to still use bt and the other changes you suggested are pretty cool. I wish BHVR would take these into consideration but I don't think they do. They just throw these threads into the feedback tab and forget about them.
You dont even need spine chill against him if youre already running sprint burst. Just listen and you can hear him growling
It's hard to balance wraith because he is a noob stomper. Low ranks survivors already hate him because they don't know if he is coming. But Wraith would be in decent spot if they added 10-15% more speed while cloaked, then you could use his power more offensively as well to close the distance while in chase
You should gain a speed boost after cloaking, not a flat increase in speed. Increases the reward for short cloaks while not making the noob-stomper more powerful.