How to soften "gen rush"

Change 2 man gen speed.

Why is there such a massive boost from one survivor doing a gen to two survivors doing a gen, and any more after that add almost nothing?

Currently gens go from 80 seconds solo to 47 seconds duo, so basically halving the time a gen takes.

Why isn't is more gradual like 80-65-47-36?

Comments

  • @Zozzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561833#Comment_1561833

    no the over all time is still 80 seconds, they just need to slightly adjust their internal numbers.

    Oh man, don't get me started on gen pressure, back when i played OMEGA blink nurse it was so easy. i guess the survivors were just trash right?

    I guess i can forget that there are more killers in this game outside of the only ones with some mobility and the queen of camping that needs to be deleted, Hag.

    That is still wanting the times adjusted. Honestly I'll say I wish they brought back old ruin. Old ruin was a game changer and actually was (in my opinion) balanced and a challenge. As a survivor I'd either truck through it or get annoyed with how slow I am and go find it. Ruin used to screw over survivors every game.

    And yes nurse was super op back then, but every killer is op if you play them right and understand the potential of their kit. Trapper for example has some awesome add-ons that turn him into a nightmare. 4ks all day if you play him right, understand map pressure and herd them into your traps. Its actually not hard. You may have to sacrifice a gen or two from getting done to set up but it's worth it if half the map is blocked off and you bring the add-on that automatically resets your traps.

  • @Zozzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561864#Comment_1561864

    I like to keep my survivors injured tho :( giving them a reason to heal can be bad sometimes.

    I always spread as much damage as i can and patrol gens that i notice being worked on, there just isn't enough time with walking killers on many of the maps.

    The reason being what? It slows down your gen speed? That's really the point here.

    Spreading damage isn't just wacking someone then abandoning chase. It's also going after the guy who rescued the hooked fella. Or going after the people who are on the gens you're supposed to be protecting. There's zero reason not to tunnel an injured person who is already down a hook state.

    A natural debuff to gen speed would incentivise them to go after someone else. 3 fully healed survivors all on gens and you're still chasing the guy who can't hop on a gen and wouldn't be effective regardless if you had? That's a full loss or 1k waiting to happen.

  • Just like i play survivor :D solo

  • First step is shrinking most maps by at least 25%. Then get rid of all the loops that can be chained together abusively. Don't let the survivors spawn spread out and on top of gens.

    That with the early game slow down mechanic they're adding should be enough.

    I like the idea of it being the killers job to pressure gens to prevent them from going fast, but the issue is that the majority of maps are simply too large and too safe for most killers to be able to do that.

  • @Blueberry said:

    First step is shrinking most maps by at least 25%. Then get rid of all the loops that can be chained together abusively. Don't let the survivors spawn spread out and on top of gens.

    That with the early game slow down mechanic they're adding should be enough.

    I like the idea of it being the killers job to pressure gens to prevent them from going fast, but the issue is that the majority of maps are simply too large and too safe for most killers to be able to do that.

    Bingo.

    What early game slowdown mechanic? I don't think i have seen anything about it.

    Will it be in the game by 2025?

  • @Zozzy said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561951#Comment_1561951

    Bingo.

    What early game slowdown mechanic? I don't think i have seen anything about it.

    Will it be in the game by 2025?

    They mentioned they were working on an "end game collapse" for the the start of the match to slow it down some.

    But yeah, 2025 seems about right.

  • @Blueberry said:

    First step is shrinking most maps by at least 25%. Then get rid of all the loops that can be chained together abusively. Don't let the survivors spawn spread out and on top of gens.

    That with the early game slow down mechanic they're adding should be enough.

    I like the idea of it being the killers job to pressure gens to prevent them from going fast, but the issue is that the majority of maps are simply too large and too safe for most killers to be able to do that.

    The idea of pressuring gens is alright, but sadly it´s just an idea. Gen pressure is an illusion with many killers. You have just so much pressure, the survivros are willig to give you. I had it so often: Two survivors working on a gen. I walk to them and ten meters before I reach them both go away. I start chasing one, and when I am just 5 meters away the other one sits on the gen again. If i chase the first one. I lose this gen. If I turn around and chase the second one, the first one will walk ten meters behind me to the gen and will also work on it, when I´m just a few meters away. So in that scenaro I also lose the gen. Not to forget the two other survivors, who can also work on gens. Of course they can´t do that with every gen in the game, because some are to far away from the next loop so I would catch them before and they couldn´t waste enough time then. But with the most gens it works. And because of that it´s also not on you as a killer to chose 3 gens for last, against a realy good team. They choose. If they want an gen, then they will get it unless you stay in front of it (which is obviously stupid, cause you will lose every other gen. And only some killers like nurse or huntress can prevent this from happening. Luckily most of the games aren´t that extreme and some teams who try to play in that hyperaggressiv way make one or to mistakes and you can snowball, but it happens often enough, that the killer has to decide between two choices and both of them are wrong. And thats a realy big problem.

  • @BabyDweetMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561850#Comment_1561850

    That is still wanting the times adjusted. Honestly I'll say I wish they brought back old ruin. Old ruin was a game changer and actually was (in my opinion) balanced and a challenge. As a survivor I'd either truck through it or get annoyed with how slow I am and go find it. Ruin used to screw over survivors every game.

    And yes nurse was super op back then, but every killer is op if you play them right and understand the potential of their kit. Trapper for example has some awesome add-ons that turn him into a nightmare. 4ks all day if you play him right, understand map pressure and herd them into your traps. Its actually not hard. You may have to sacrifice a gen or two from getting done to set up but it's worth it if half the map is blocked off and you bring the add-on that automatically resets your traps.

    Old ruin was anoying as f*. I refused to use it as killer back than because I knew how anoying it was for the survivors, espacially for new ones. The new ruin is much better designt. It requires someting from the killer, it´s not totaly passive thing. But when it last for more than just one minute I think it´s even stronger than old ruin. And much less frustrating. It´s only problem is, that you still can´t rely on it, because you could lose it after a few seconds.

  • @Tactless_Ninja said:

    Make injured survivors have a natural gen repair debuff. Either work on gens with a debuff, or heal first to normalize times.

    It rewards killers for spreading damage and contributes to their secondary objective, protecting gens.

    I like that idea. Sounds much more interessting for both sides than most of the other ideas I´ve heard. It requires effort from the killer to get them injured, it´s against camping and tunneling, the survivors have ways to deal with it. I realy like that.

  • But thats just the killers doing their objective! Killing survivors

  • @BabyDweetMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561390#Comment_1561390

    Never did I say they don't exist. They clearly do and tons of killers do camp and tunnel. "Gen rushing" was never an issue until killers wanted easy kills so they all started camping and tunneling. Survivors them did what they had to do to leave as fast as possible. With a killer not applying pressure, it was easy to do gens. But somehow now it's turned into a problem that survivors are doing to ruin games when no one talks about the reason why they do gens as fast as possible.

    I personally don't instantly do all gens. I run prove thyself cause 1) I'm a dweet main and 2) cause I like doing totems and saves so making up gen time when I'm not doing those things helps out a lot.

    No gen rushing has always existed. Have you even seen OLD BNP which instantly completed generators so gates could be powered within 60 seconds of the game starting.

    To deny gen rushing existing in the past where gens could literally be completed in 1 second is just plain ignorant.

  • Just have gens automatically regress if there chased off. If a survivor is on a gen in the killers TR and leave it then the gen regresses at a rate of regress that it would if it were kicked. But if a survivor leaves before the terror radius like to go save hooked survivor then the gen needs to be kicked to regress. Does anyone have a problem with that. Seems legit to me. I play both sides so I wouldn’t have a problem going against it as a survivor

  • @AbsolutelyImpossible said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/185050/how-to-soften-gen-rush

    This has to be the worst thing to complain about still. So survivors just stare at a progress bar or a hook all game. Yeah that’s fun. Killers can kill fast too though. Think about how easy it would be for killers if all gens can’t get done before killers camp each survivor on a hook. I would be infuriated with this team. I already am because of how bad playing survivor already is. Particularly solo. But also the glitches and latency that gives killers the upper hand in a chase in so many different ways.

    I don’t know what platform of a killer you’ve been going against but I have great internet with usually around 60 to 70m/s of ping and with the bugs in the game I’m never awarded a close hit. Now prior to the bubba and billy update I use to get awarded some crazy hits to where I was like damn that hit. I play both sides and I must agree gen speeds are a little to fast on stacked gens. It should not cut repair time almost in half with two people on it. Take of like 10 sec for every man on gen

  • Untitled Image

    Oh wait this is a serious thread.

  • @Zozzy said:

    Change 2 man gen speed.

    Why is there such a massive boost from one survivor doing a gen to two survivors doing a gen, and any more after that add almost nothing?

    Currently gens go from 80 seconds solo to 47 seconds duo so basically halving the time a gen takes.

    Why isn't is more gradual like 80-65-47-36?

    Gen speeds getting "nerfed" would mean that low rank survivors would suffer, while making the top survivors have more of a challenge. The point is that killers are op at low ranks while generally under-performing at top play.

  • @ad19970 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561130#Comment_1561130

    Gens can not be done within like 3 or 4 minutes if the Person playing killer is actually good with the killer and knows what he‘s doing. Except maybe clown but when we start balancing this game around the worst killers in the game then things will get bad real Quick.

    I‘m not saying that nothing should be done to give killers a bit more time and make the experience less stressful, plus i do think at the highest Level of play gen Times can be seen as a bit of a Problem, but that would take many more Balance changes as some killers are already very good, giving them more time would possibly make them op. And of Course solo survivors would also need some help if the survivors objective time would be increased.

    Wrong - all it takes is an unlucky early game and the killer has zero map pressure. It has literally nothing to do with skill - especially for m1 killers who, upon finding a survivor, eat pallets all day long because that is the current counterplay. No looping til the pallets down, and most maps have chainable tiles and strong pallets.

    The only time gens are not done this quick is when the killer gets lucky or, for whatever reason, the survivors don't do them. It is admittedly common for survivors to take that second option... But as you said, we shouldn't balance around the weak links.

  • @DontNerf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561853#Comment_1561853

    But thats just the killers doing their objective! Killing survivors

    Okay? Never said they can't do it. Not sure what point you were attempting to make here.

  • @Warcrafter4 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561846#Comment_1561846

    No gen rushing has always existed. Have you even seen OLD BNP which instantly completed generators so gates could be powered within 60 seconds of the game starting.

    To deny gen rushing existing in the past where gens could literally be completed in 1 second is just plain ignorant.

    Existed and existing are two different things. Learn the difference.

    It existed. It does not exist now.

  • @Zozzy said:

    Change 2 man gen speed.

    Why is there such a massive boost from one survivor doing a gen to two survivors doing a gen, and any more after that add almost nothing?

    Currently gens go from 80 seconds solo to 47 seconds duo so basically halving the time a gen takes.

    Why isn't is more gradual like 80-65-47-36?

    As a killer, you need to learn to counter genrushing, instead of asking for a nerf.

  • @BabyDweetMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1562444#Comment_1562444

    Okay? Never said they can't do it. Not sure what point you were attempting to make here.

    My point is that genrushing does exist same as camping just because its part of an objective doesnt mean its not an issue

  • @DontNerf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1562876#Comment_1562876

    My point is that genrushing does exist same as camping just because its part of an objective doesnt mean its not an issue

    Killers still camp and tunnel far more than gen rushing when it was an issue. Its non existent now. They already nerfed gen repair speed and tool boxes heavily. Gen rushing doesn't happen anymore. Its just people doing the objective. A killer can easily stop gen progression with all the perks they now have and abilities. Gen rushing is dead. Camping and tunneling are as alive as ever.

  • @BabyDweetMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561045#Comment_1561045

    I play killer (spirit, hag and legion) and I apply great map pressure and I get 4ks. If you stick on one survivor for 3 gens you are the problem. If a survivor runs you around for 3 gens without being downed (they already nerfed maps and pallet spawns), you are the problem, if you let gens fly by, you are the problem. Take accountability, learn from your mistakes, adapt and try new perks. Stop blaming every other aspect of the game.

    Would u mind broadcasting live ? I would gladly learn from you

  • @DontNerf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1562876#Comment_1562876

    My point is that genrushing does exist same as camping just because its part of an objective doesnt mean its not an issue

    Gen rushing just doesn't exist anymore while camping and tunneling do. Nerfs to repair speeds and toolboxes have seen to that.

  • @Zozzy said:

    Change 2 man gen speed.

    Why is there such a massive boost from one survivor doing a gen to two survivors doing a gen, and any more after that add almost nothing?

    Currently gens go from 80 seconds solo to 47 seconds duo so basically halving the time a gen takes.

    Why isn't is more gradual like 80-65-47-36?

    @kate_best_girl said:

    I still think they should just increase gen times to 100 seconds cause even by yourself gen rushing is so prominent.

    im a killer main but i play survivor quite a bit too and i cant imagine holding m1 on a gen for 100 seconds or even 65 with a friend...

    they just need to add some kind of secondary objective you have to do like get fuel to the gen and it would take some time to run to pick it up and then maybe 5 seconds to load it into the gen, that would give killer a bit extra time early game

  • @BabyDweetMain said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1562896#Comment_1562896

    Gen rushing just doesn't exist anymore while camping and tunneling do. Nerfs to repair speeds and toolboxes have seen to that.

    Have you played killer? Like at all? If you did youd know that gen speeds are still crazy fast

  • @BabyDweetMain said:

    Gen rushing isn't a thing. That is a survivors only objective. Killers are supposed to stop that. Killers need some sort of pressure or else it'd be a cake walk. That's why there's perks and full on builds dedicated to stopping gen progression. If gen rushing is an issue for a killer than they need to run those perks and practice gen patrolling. Maybe pick a killer like legion who's good at stalling gens.

    gen rush is when survivor repairs the gen in the killers face because he doesnt give a ######### or has DS

    genrush is when survivors prioritize finishing generator before unhooking their team mate that is getting into the second stage of the hook

    genrush is when you are so obsessed in finishing game in 5 minutes that you cant even take 14 seconds to clense a totem and then coplain about perk like noed

  • Ye ye doesnt exist I finished my game today less than 5min with 8 hooks without mistakes so balanced coming with insta med kits 4 DS they end trial with 15k points each and their rank 1st didnt pop down but my rank 1st with 24k points popped down because I didnt sacrifice nobody this game is just joke seeing inventory survs take mori I think is the best option

  • @DontNerf said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1562954#Comment_1562954

    Have you played killer? Like at all? If you did youd know that gen speeds are still crazy fast

    I play equal parts killer and survivor. Never had an issue with gens being done too fast as killer. I've been playing for years now as well.

  • @PleassBuiltInNoed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560836#Comment_1560836

    gen rush is when survivor repairs the gen in the killers face because he doesnt give a ######### or has DS

    genrush is when survivors prioritize finishing generator before unhooking their team mate that is getting into the second stage of the hook

    genrush is when you are so obsessed in finishing game in 5 minutes that you cant even take 14 seconds to clense a totem and then coplain about perk like noed

    The first paragraph isn't gen rushing.

    Gen rushing was when all gens would be popped shortly after the trial started. That's what it was back then. Now the casuals think it's whenever they can't keep up with the momentum of generators being done cause they haven't learned how to pressure survivors.

  • @PleassBuiltInNoed said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/185050/how-to-soften-gen-rush

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560830#Comment_1560830

    im a killer main but i play survivor quite a bit too and i cant imagine holding m1 on a gen for 100 seconds or even 65 with a friend...

    they just need to add some kind of secondary objective you have to do like get fuel to the gen and it would take some time to run to pick it up and then maybe 5 seconds to load it into the gen, that would give killer a bit extra time early game

    Yeah I play both sides too and tbh a flat extra 20 seconds added would do better than some 5 second fuel pickup

  • @Kilmeran said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560836#Comment_1560836

    And that's a map design issue. It shouldn't require certain Perk builds or specific killers to accomplish with any type of consistency.

    I'm withy ou on this this why survivor see the same killers and perks every time on killers then bad word about them.

  • @Zozzy said:

    Change 2 man gen speed.

    Why is there such a massive boost from one survivor doing a gen to two survivors doing a gen, and any more after that add almost nothing?

    Currently gens go from 80 seconds solo to 47 seconds duo so basically halving the time a gen takes.

    Why isn't is more gradual like 80-65-47-36?

    Honestly the bigger problem is when 4 survivors split up and work 4 different gens at the start. Im worried your solutiin would encourage that more

  • @Dead_by_Gadfly said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/185050/how-to-soften-gen-rush

    Honestly the bigger problem is when 4 survivors split up and work 4 different gens at the start. Im worried your solutiin would encourage that more

    This is for mid/ end game when there is nothing left to split up on. Good teams already split up so nothing would change.

  • @kate_best_girl said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1562959#Comment_1562959

    Yeah I play both sides too and tbh a flat extra 20 seconds added would do better than some 5 second fuel pickup

    but thats just boring man, secondary objective is a way to go

  • 80 cookies, divided to 2 people.

    Uhh...why each person has only halve the cookies

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    It is worse for the killer if survivors do gens spread. Nothing in the world is worse than 4 survivors spawning separated and working on different generators. You take 20 seconds to find a survivor, 40 seconds to down him, 10 seconds to pick up, hook and shambala, 3 gens pop at the same time. Survivors who like doing generators together are easier to beat because it is easier to apply pressure (you'll always be chasing half of the team) and they are weaker to perks like Pop Goes the Weasel and Hex: Ruin.

    If you're having trouble with early game pressure, try running Corrupt Intervention or Discordance. Also, as someone said above, it is ok to lose 1 or 2 gens at the start. It is with your first hook that you'll be able to start a cycle of pressure. Remember that survivors are way stronger than the killer at the beginning (all healthy, all able to do gens) and the killer becomes stronger and stronger the less gens are remaining (more injured/hooked/downed survivors, less gens to patrol)

    Can you please point out where i ever mentioned the start of the game?

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561852#Comment_1561852

    That would make killers like Legion and Plague insanely strong, and playing against them would feel like hell.

    Aren't they considered weak by current means or is that just boosted survivors trying to boast?

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1564121#Comment_1564121

    Plague is mid-tier while Legion is mid-low or even low tier. I agree that these killers need some buffs (Plague needs to make people break faster and Legion needs a 1v1 ability), but making injured survivors have a debuff on repair speed would just make survivors DC because every game against them would be a 20 minutes one.

    They need "Some sort of Buff" but you have no idea what that would be, and they can't directly slow down gen speeds which is their biggest issue...all while calling them mid tier.

    Like bruh.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1564104#Comment_1564104

    Usually players complain about the "gen rush" at the start of the trial, when 1~2 gens can be popped before you even have your first down, so I assumed you were talking about that. Sorry if that's not the case.

    Mid game when everyone starts to group up. Nothing will fix the start of the game without some forced mechanic being introduced.

  • @[Deleted User] said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1564168#Comment_1564168

    Their biggest issue isn't gen speed. Plague can infect generators and her Corrupt Purge is an immense pressure for survivors. Legion has probably the best tracking ability in the game after hitting a survivor with Frenzy and time mending is time not spent on gens. What they need are chase buffs, not making games against them last longer. Imagine a 3 gen against Legion on Ormond with your idea of a "buff", nobody finishes gens because Legion keeps injuring everyone with Frenzy and they go too slow, but he can't also down anyone because he's weak at the 1v1. A game like this is bound to last 20 minutes or even more, if you think that's fun and would make these killers "viable", ok. I have no idea what a chase buff for them could be because I'm not a game developer, but I can still give my opinions on what I think are good and bad ideas.

    And no, I'm not a "boosted survivor". I'm a killer main that only plays survivor for dailies, and I actually play these killers.

    You make up for their abilities using perks or their add-ons. Plague infects people faster with her add-ons, Legion can finish chases using perks.

    So if people need to invest in the chase, then that leaves nothing for gens. All the more reason to buff them in that area.

  • @VicThor said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1560836#Comment_1560836

    Just think about it, if the first survivor drops every pallet, she/he creates enough time to finish 3 gens. M1 killers can’t stop it, even high mobility killers can’t stop it. Maybe if u chase them off from the gens with Ruin, but totem spawn is terrible ruin usually is a 1-2 minute perk. So please don’t come up with this non-sense that the killer needs to stop it. If you would play killer you would exactly know its impossible.

    I WISH Ruin was a 1-2 minute perk half the time. Just played a game -- on Yamaoka (where you would hope, in theory, there would be good spawn locations for totems) -- and Ruin was destroyed 27 seconds into the game. With the cleansing time being 12 seconds (I think?), that means the survivor who cleansed it must have literally spawned looking dead at it. This is on the heels of my preceding match (last night) where Ruin was gone in literally the same amount of time.

    Playing both sides, there's seemingly no middle ground. Either the totem spawns in some ridiculous-to-find spot and lasts forever (which can sometimes be a game-breaker, but other times, if someone else is simply in a chase, you can work around it on your gen as if it doesn't exist) or it's so in the wide-open (with a spawning survivor staring at it), that it's gone before it ever had a chance to work. My experience (as both survivor and killer) is that it's far too much of the latter, and not enough of the former. Maybe the Upcoming Undying might give it some of its teeth back, but that's still going to be two perks to essentially make one even usable a huge majority of the time.

  • @ChiSoxFan11 said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1561045#Comment_1561045

    I WISH Ruin was a 1-2 minute perk half the time. Just played a game -- on Yamaoka (where you would hope, in theory, there would be good spawn locations for totems) -- and Ruin was destroyed 27 seconds into the game. With the cleansing time being 12 seconds (I think?), that means the survivor who cleansed it must have literally spawned looking dead at it. This is on the heels of my preceding match (last night) where Ruin was gone in literally the same amount of time.

    Playing both sides, there's seemingly no middle ground. Either the totem spawns in some ridiculous-to-find spot and lasts forever (which can sometimes be a game-breaker, but other times, if someone else is simply in a chase, you can work around it on your gen as if it doesn't exist) or it's so in the wide-open (with a spawning survivor staring at it), that it's gone before it ever had a chance to work. My experience (as both survivor and killer) is that it's far too much of the latter, and not enough of the former. Maybe the Upcoming Undying might give it some of its teeth back, but that's still going to be two perks to essentially make one even usable a huge majority of the time.

    Yeah unfortunately ruin is not as useful. For me 4 times out of 5 gets destroy early. And as you mentioned if you can’t chase off survivors from the gens, then it’s useless.

1 2 ›