The new perks evidence the problem with second chance perks

Another chapter bringing very good perks and I am pretty sure that we will still be seeing the quadruple second chance perks in the meta (Decisive Strike, Borrowed Time, Dead Hard, Unbreakable).

There are so many interesting combo builds created by the community, but the thinking of must have an exhaustion perk and must have decisive strike make the remaining two perk slots obvious choices. If a survivor is not running one of the mentioned perks, like Unbreakable, you can bet they are running Iron Will, Adrenaline, Hope or Spine Chill instead. One can say that the new perks are bad, which I don't agree, but I prefer to say that the existent perks are too good and need to be redesigned.

Still, as a rank 1 both sides, I recognize that second chance perks fix problems with the optimal killer play-style. Most of the time I can't see myself without Decisive Strike because most of the killers tunnel if there is no obsession in the match. But this can easily be fixed making Decisive Strike default in the game tweaking its effect to something that I will not discuss here. The point is, before we start the discussion about how to fix some problem you should recognize that there is a problem with the meta, and more importantly, why it is what it is.

Why is it taking so long to do something about build variance? I'm sure some devs as active players have a lot to say about this. But, we are again receiving very well designed perks and I see no change in the top end. I see no point in creating new perks if you are unable to shake the meta with them.

Community, what do you think?

Comments

  • I agree with this- imo exhaustion needs to more interactable either by improving killer ways to inflict it or by grading how long the exhaustion should be based on usage (so DH and SB have a longer exhaustion cooldown than lithe or balanced which are situational in comparison).

    Borrowed time and unbreakable are both fine on their own, decisive makes them both horrible (small pp, and the complete negation of the need to attempt to unhook safely). Imo decisive should come with a penalty after its used- sure you have it as a contingency, but in the current state people go out of their way to weaponise their DS- a penalty would make it a last resort.


    But yeah, I think the survivor meta is very stale and encourages poor gameplay on both sides- killer also needs a shakeup, but I think that should be done through buffs either to fringe perks or killer basekit.

  • well, high reward no requirements perks are way better than mediocre reward balanced requirement perks. That's why people run meta and that's why devs need to shake the meta differently than keep adding perks.

  • It is certainly a challenge for the devs to create perks better than those that are literally the best perks in the game - 99% of the perks they create from now until the end of time will not see use so long as those perks tower above the rest.

    There's nothing wrong with using them, but with all the gameplay holes they cover, there's no reason NOT to.

    I'd almost rather that they rework the majority of the perks in the game from the ground up (en masse), which would breath new life into a stale meta.

  • @Mercês said:

    Another chapter bringing very good perks and I am pretty sure that we will still be seeing the quadruple second chance perks in the meta (Decisive Strike, Borrowed Time, Dead Hard, Unbreakable).

    There are so many interesting combo builds created by the community, but the thinking of must have an exhaustion perk and must have decisive strike make the remaining two perk slots obvious choices. If a survivor is not running one of the mentioned perks, like Unbreakable, you can bet they are running Iron Will, Adrenaline, Hope or Spine Chill instead. One can say that the new perks are bad, which I don't agree, but I prefer to say that the existent perks are too good and need to be redesigned.

    Still, as a rank 1 both sides, I recognize that second chance perks fix problems with the optimal killer play-style. Most of the time I can't see myself without Decisive Strike because most of the killers tunnel if there is no obsession in the match. But this can easily be fixed making Decisive Strike default in the game tweaking its effect to something that I will not discuss here. The point is, before we start the discussion about how to fix some problem you should recognize that there is a problem with the meta, and more importantly, why it is what it is.

    Why is it taking so long to do something about build variance? I'm sure some devs as active players have a lot to say about this. But, we are again receiving very well designed perks and I see no change in the top end. I see no point in creating new perks if you are unable to shake the meta with them.

    Community, what do you think?

    Honestly desperate to measures may be decent it's gonna have great anti slug anti thana

    Not to mention that will stack with resilience.

    You could have ftp now your injured you not have 28% + 9% speed for the next guy.

  • Those perks are needed because survivor base mechanics are too weak compared to killer.

    They need to improve the base kit of survivor in order for us to stop relying on second chance

  • @Koukdw said:

    Those perks are needed because survivor base mechanics are too weak compared to killer.

    They need to improve the base kit of survivor in order for us to stop relying on second chance

    Survivors are supposed to be weak compared to the killer. This is an asymmetrical game, you're not supposed to be able to 1v1 the killer. If the survivors' base kit was improved they'd still use every second-chance perk ever, because it'd make them unstoppable.

  • @Orion said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550068#Comment_1550068

    Survivors are supposed to be weak compared to the killer. This is an asymmetrical game, you're not supposed to be able to 1v1 the killer. If the survivors' base kit was improved they'd still use every second-chance perk ever, because it'd make them unstoppable.

    That's easy to say when as a killer only your own skill matter. But when you are playing survivor there's alot of unpredictability. You should still be able to impact the game as a solo player which mean being able to 1v1.

    If i'm a way better player than the killer i should be able to make my team win.

  • @Koukdw said:

    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/1550076#Comment_1550076

    That's easy to say when as a killer only your own skill matter. But when you are playing survivor there's alot of unpredictability. You should still be able to impact the game as a solo player which mean being able to 1v1

    I'm a survivor main and no you shouldn't be able to 1v1.

    If each survivor was able to 1v1 the killer, you'd have to add 3 more killers to each trial, because now the game is a 4v1 where each individual player is as strong as every other player - including the killer. Either that or just replace the killers with bots, because I guarantee the game would run out of killers in about a week.

    This is an asymmetrical game. You're gonna have to learn to deal with the fact that you, as a survivor, are not supposed to be as powerful as the killer. When you play survivor, you signed up to be a victim, not an aggressor. If you want to be an aggressor, that's what the killer role is for.

  • DS base kit? Definitely not.

    The issue isn't survivors needing DS because of camping/tunneling. The issue is as you had mentioned, that tunneling/camping IS the most efficient way to win. We don't fix this by making DS base kit, we fix this by making the "fun" killer play style more viable than the camping/tunneling play style.

    The vast majority of perks on both sides are way undertuned which is part of the issue, but I do agree that all the second chance perks are way overtuned and in turn crowd out all the other options.

    In summary:

    Make the not tunneling/camping play style more viable, nerf second chance perks, and finally buff all the other perks that are way undertuned.

  • @Mercês said:

    Another chapter bringing very good perks and I am pretty sure that we will still be seeing the quadruple second chance perks in the meta (Decisive Strike, Borrowed Time, Dead Hard, Unbreakable).

    There are so many interesting combo builds created by the community, but the thinking of must have an exhaustion perk and must have decisive strike make the remaining two perk slots obvious choices. If a survivor is not running one of the mentioned perks, like Unbreakable, you can bet they are running Iron Will, Adrenaline, Hope or Spine Chill instead. One can say that the new perks are bad, which I don't agree, but I prefer to say that the existent perks are too good and need to be redesigned.

    Still, as a rank 1 both sides, I recognize that second chance perks fix problems with the optimal killer play-style. Most of the time I can't see myself without Decisive Strike because most of the killers tunnel if there is no obsession in the match. But this can easily be fixed making Decisive Strike default in the game tweaking its effect to something that I will not discuss here. The point is, before we start the discussion about how to fix some problem you should recognize that there is a problem with the meta, and more importantly, why it is what it is.

    Why is it taking so long to do something about build variance? I'm sure some devs as active players have a lot to say about this. But, we are again receiving very well designed perks and I see no change in the top end. I see no point in creating new perks if you are unable to shake the meta with them.

    Community, what do you think?

    Who runs Hope? (I saw like 1 Hope gamer in the last few months)

  • @Blueberry said:

    DS base kit? Definitely not.

    The issue isn't survivors needing DS because of camping/tunneling. The issue is as you had mentioned, that tunneling/camping IS the most efficient way to win. We don't fix this by making DS base kit, we fix this by making the "fun" killer play style more viable than the camping/tunneling play style.

    The vast majority of perks on both sides are way undertuned which is part of the issue, but I do agree that all the second chance perks are way overtuned and in turn crowd out all the other options.

    In summary:

    Make the not tunneling/camping play style more viable, nerf second chance perks, and finally buff all the other perks that are way undertuned.

    Sorry, I forgot to mention that the tweaked built-in Decisive Strike idea was just a lazy idea for fixing one problem. I completely agree with you.

    Unfortunately not the point of the discussion, but I recommend Zubat's Hope is Dope video.