My main problem with Minotaur aka Oni's legendary.
So, what were legendary skins been advertised as? "Completely new character, 2 characters in 1" and so on. A skin that turns ONE character with ONE personality and appearance into ANOTHER with ANOTHER personality and appearance.
In case of Lisa Garland, she kinda fit into that description, despite being a not very good skin: she had different lobby stance and generally looked like a different character as she definitely had a different personality compared to Cheril. People didn't like her because she didn't gave much changes for a 15$ skin, but she fit into description of legendary quality nonetheless.
Now. Guardian of Labyrinth aka Minotaur skin for Oni. Not only this skin doesn't have any changes, but it also doesn't fit into a description of "Completely new character" and here's why:
- Why is GREEK MYTHOLOGY BEAST using a JAPANESE weapon (Kanabo)?
- Why is GREEK MYTHOLOGY BEAST that is HALF MAN HALF BULL charging like a SAMURAI?
- Why is GREEK MYTHOLOGY BEAST mimicking Kazan's Yamaoka sword technicues (in the lobby, in the game during 2nd hit animation and so on)?
Not very major, but nonetheless:
- Why is GREEK MYTHOLOGY BEAST performing Kazan's Yamaoka SIGNATURE killing move? You can argue that ripping tongue and bashing them with a heavy weapon isn't very unique and it's pretty likely for a beast like Minotaur do something like that too and I can partly agree, but nonetheless it just adds up into "not so new character".
- Why does Minotaur have THE SAME VOICE as Yamaoka Kazan? Yeah, Cheril and Lisa have the same voice, but remember that Lisa has unique lobby animation and different facial animations?
I suppose there are some minor changes (animation/sounds) but I haven't noticed them after 4 hours of playing Oni in new skin, so I assume there are none.
In the end, Minotaur skin is just a reskin of Oni. A beautiful one, undoubtly, but just a reskin which I personally CANNOT consider a separate character or LEGENDARY worthy. It is a Purple or Very rare skin, but NOT a LEGENDARY. He has NO unique personality. He is NOT a separate character, but just a purple skin for Oni that is posed as a legendary.
Now, what do I suggest to make this legendary skin BETTER. I'll start from simplest to hardest options in my opinion:
- Make him different voice. Simply lower the pitch of already recorded voicelines, that'll do the trick.
- Give him new lobby animation. EVEN THAT would be enough to give Minotaur a unique personality.
- Create new animations for Demon Dash. Anything noticeable. For example if he additionally lowers his head horns forward like a bull (while Oni keeps his head straight).
- Create new mori animation. Yes. For example - he bashes a survivor with his kanabo/club multiple times or lifts them on his horns.
- Replace his Kanabo. With anything. A big bone, a wooden club, a mace, a n y t h i n g that is not a weapon associated with japanese warriors. An additional point for making a weapon associated with ancient Greece.
I hope you'll do what needs to be done and give Minotaur what he deserves. I've been disappointed in that skin, but I still have faith in you, Devs. Please do the right thing and give Minotaur personality.
@Almo @Peanits can I have your response/opinion on this topic? Is this how legendary skins are going to be? No changes or anything to separate them from main character theme?
Thank you, have a nice day
Comments
what licence? what are you talking dude
@MandyTalk @Peanits Could you please bring the suggestions of the OP up with the team next week? There clearly is a huge community interest/consens.
Very much appreciate it! :)
MEG WAS SARCASTIC.
God dammit.
lol Wow, how do people not get it.
its the internet. People say a lot of stupid stuff and are serious.
I've seen a person who was serious on some really stupid things so I'm wouldn't be surprised if you were grave serious
The "Legendary" skins are only called "Legendary" because they have another color than the "Very Rare" skins. That, and that their price is legendarily high at $15. For all we know, it could might as well been a Halloween themed costume skin and it'd not have mattered one single bit.
Yeah, they could've added a syringe, a bit more injuries and it could be a blight skin instead of "legendary" one that makes oni into "another character" that has no differences from oni apart from another face.
Precisely. All they're doing is looking for people going "OMG COOL SKINZ!!" and impulse buying them for $15. Hopefully it'll backfire and all these.. legendary skins, will be a thing of the past. I doubt linked skins will sell well either, as people see mix-and-match as a better option.
I will buy em lol
I understand. But your expectations make me think of the ultimate skins in LoL, these skins cost around 23€ (sorry, that's my currency).
This legendary skin in DBD, whose expectations are similar to the work done on ultimate skins in LoL, costs 12 or 13€ currently.
Overall, and according to the developers of LoL: players prefer more polished skins, even if it means paying more (because yes, you are asking a lot of work just for skins). And you ? Are you willing to pay significantly more for a "truly" legendary skin in DBD ?
What are you talking about cosmetics that are linked are meant to stop clipping issues.
Hahaha
exactly the same thing for lisa as she should have a different voice actor, I dont like how she sounds the same as cheryl.
You are talking to a person who wastes ~400$ every time valve shits out another battlepass without questioning it (although Valve has never failed to give at least one cool cosmetic since 2016). Of course I am willing to pay for a good cosmetics, but so far the only good cosmetics are blight skins.
In case of minotaur, I believe they should either make it lower rarity and refund those 400 cells difference in price or do something to make minotaur feel like a separate character, not an Oni reskin
There is of course a small chance, I would even say a ghostly one, that the developers will not ignore this post and in the future, when they update the graphics and animations, they will update all the legendary skins for characters, making them completely unique.
This post has been up for almost a day and still no response. I guess they are just going to ignore that and pretend everybody`s happy.
Not the smartest solution for these developers. If they value their reputation, they should "go out of their way" to fix the situation for the better.
P.s. I really feel sorry for those people who gave $15 and hoped to get unique animations and voice acting. This is very ungrateful on the part of developers who get paid for it.
They shouldn’t even have to be doing this, the skin should already have majority of these ideas implemented in it. The legendary skin for Cheryl did do what a legendary skin is supposed to, it’s just a shame that they didn’t keep their word with how it completely changes them with this skin, I think it looks great and one of the best looking skins in the game, but it doesn’t completely live up to what they said legendary skins would do.
so, today we complain about skins.. ok... :^)
today we complain about lazyness, false advertisement and inability to fit own low standards of legendary skins.
isnt it just a skin? Ok, ignore me, please. I only complain about the game mechanics and bugs.
read the post instead of trolling, ty.
At least they aren't advertising them as something extraordinary
The amount of people that didn't catch on to this and thought you were being serious is kinda sad.
I know right. They only went and said that That it would be like playing a different character. I mean he is mostly dressed different character, so it doesn't matter that a Minotaur is swinging a sword around like a samurai, literally is using a weapon that wouldn't be found in ancient greece, or that his voice lines are the same.
For the record though, I don't think voice changes are necessary, but a complete visual overhaul is needed for the skin to be legendary, and animation tweaks should be done. We were told that it would be like a brand new character, but I think we would all settle for a character that is just different enough to be someone else.
I mean, if there wasn't a bull's head, it would be Oni. New skin is just Oni wearing bull's head, that's it. He is swinging sword and dashing like samurai, like yamaoka oni.
"In the end, Minotaur skin is just a reskin of Oni"
Duh. No one claimed otherwise.
It is a legendary skin though, it’s not supposed to be just a ‘reskin’, the survivor legendary actually changes more than just the skin
That's a precedent but not a rule. I don't own a single legendary so I hadn't even noticed.
I don’t remember exactly what the devs said so I could be wrong here, but they said something along the lines of it being like a completely different character. While oni does obviously look completely different, he still has the kanabo, same dash and is actually just a re-skin
" they said something along the lines of it being like a completely different character."
I'd like to see/hear this, because it doesn't make sense. None of the costumes have gone nearly that far.
I don't know maybe they should have put /s as it is very hard to tell that people are being sarcastic in text. And maybe instead of insulting people for being unable to understand nuance in text you actually add something to the conversation then "lol people are dumb".
Not going to tell you how to spend your money. But, good luck i'm sure Disney tried.
Yeah I don’t know where I heard it from it could’ve been someone just explaining the legendary skins and he just got this out of nowhere, but it would seem like he’d be right since the survivor skin does have a different animation in the lobby screen but I haven’t seen enough of her to see if she has any in game different animations
It honestly makes me feel like I can't be sarcastic anymore.
welcome to the internet
Developers answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rN5bwyF7yo
Skip to 1:21:24
Its slowly going to happen over the next little bit but let me type it here first;
bEhAvior
The influence is already growing...
"we would like to do so"
oh, how adorable. They would like to, pity they are just a little indie studio with no funds working on pure enthusiasm /s
They aren't seeing my money. I'm going to spend my remaining auric cells, though, since I've already paid for them, but I'm definitely not getting more. I hope other people will do the same.
They obviously meant to say that the character is no longer even trying to aesthetically match the original. And putting studs on a club isn't secret Japanese technology.
They could atleast have animated the bloody face for the price. Really ruins an otherwise great skin.