Deathslinger's speed
I see a lot of lacklustre opinion of the Deathslinger. I started playing him a few weeks ago in an effort to learn a new killer and I'm of mixed opinion.
On the one hand the harpoon can be very strong nabbing people from afar but his counter play is probably where he falls down. As a 4.4m speed killer the best thing to do seems to be just run in circles around the same object.
Now I know 'looping' is part of the game but even then most killers have some counter to it. But at 4.4m every game I play as deathslinger devolves into a circle around an unmindgamable set of stuff even after the pallet drops.
Huntress can pound you from afar, hag can teleport to you, spirit is another level of messing around so I get why they are slower. But Deathslinger even if you shoot someone and the chain breaks the reload slowdown renders it mostly useless and deep wounds is really no threat at all.
I think he feels underwhelming to play not because he isn't good but rather the 4.4m counter play combined with his power really is just mindless circling. Would he be that over powered if he was 4.6? Even with a ranged attack. I'm just curious as I feel every game devolving into a run in circles around the same thing just made for rather dull games.
Comments
Yes he would be very overpowered if he was 4.6. You're probably doing something wrong if you're getting looped for a while as Deathslinger. Ofc there are some tiles that are either extremely hard to land proper shot but most tiles actually can be outplayed by deathslinger as long as you know how to use Redeemer correctly.
I main deathslinger and unless I'm screwing up my shots I manage to do rarther well even vs good players. If you're curious on my gameplay so that you can see how I play around loops you can check out my channel where I post a few matches every once in a while. It might give you an idea on what you could be doing wrong if you're getting into long chases.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGCPA43ebUBxa2KoUv-kiJw/videos
I think at 4.6m/s it would be incredibly oppressive to play against him...also don't forget his TR would need to be increased to compensate - and that would greatly reduce his ability to get close enough to get some decent shots in. Right now it's his low terror radius combined with monitor & abuse that probably gets me shot at most of the time.
Quick scoping is also very strong on him - most Deathslingers don't go down the whole lining up of their shots thing.
I find him incredibly strong and viable to play as in red ranks. But I play a lot of FPS so I’m great at getting quick scope shots with him. He’s just a killer you need to practise because the ones I face as survivor play him all wrong. They just walk around aiming his gun and that’s just not the way to play him. His ability to be able to deny vaults and loops is so good when you master it.
I'm not sure if he has any youtube videos because i've never looked. But if you want to see what a deathslinger can do you should check out a zubatlel stream. Dude is an insane player but watching him play slinger is a freaking thing of beauty and will show you quickly why there is no way he could be a 4.6m/s killer.
A 4.6m/s Deathslinger would practically have no weakness. Right now it's pretty safe to say that the only weakness Deathslinger has is weak map pressure and slow movement.
Ok these are all good points. I'll stick with him. 4.4 killers always feel a lil painful to me as the only one I play is hag and I main her. But then again if you are chasing someone as hag something has gone wrong. Hag hits should really be teleport hits.
It just felt like a well used counter as almost every survivor did the same thing every match, just run to the same loops without fail. It was almost like it was an understood counter to get him into that kind of play asap. It got predictable and resulted in some easy hits but really was odd. I'll stick with him, cheers for the replies.
Honestly it all just comes down to practise. I didn’t personally feel like I needed to ‘master’ him but that’s because like I said earlier, I play a lot of FPS, so to me, I have always felt at complete ease when playing him. All survivors have against killers are loops and pallets, when you get confident enough with him, he can take that all away. He can drag people back towards vaults and down them. Stop people reaching that corner of the wall, deny pallet drops and even drag people out of pallets who just wait under them. I’ve honestly had so many fun matches with him and most of it comes down to survivors not being able to predict me. A lot will run whilst looking behind as they think you’re going to shoot, which can give you easy downs when they run into a tree etc. I also pretend to shoot a lot to make survivors start trying to juke, as this can throw them off when you actually do shoot. Quick scoping is definitely the way to go with him. It doesn’t always pay off, but when it does, it feels so good.
Cheers mate, it wasn't really a complaint I was just curious. Like most killers once you sus em out they tend to feel pretty balanced. Its more that the games had a predictable consistancy that I usually don't experience with other killers. Seems like there is an established counter to him that people try first in the event you aren't great at getting the shots.
Yeah, the slow movement speed feels sucky, but think of all the time you save when you pull someone off from Elevation.
Think Coal Tower, any hill or the Saloon. Walking up there would easily take at least 10 seconds, and then the survivor would just drop down and run. Deathslinger negates that by sniping them down, preventing Balanced Landing, and getting a hit on top of that.
Yep, basically what @TheLastGreatStar said. Practice. Once you become proficient in hitting your shots it's game over. You can shut down loops by not even allowing them to get to them in the first place. It's always funny as the match progresses and you've hit some nice shots you don't even need to shoot your gun anymore. The survivors are so worried about it that all you have to do is throw your gun up a couple times in a chase and they start zig zagging like chickens without a head and you can easily catch up and m1 lol.
No problem and no worries as I didn’t view your initial post as a complaint. The thing with killers is that they all have such different play styles and one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. You might find that he just isn’t for you, but I would definitely still practise and see what happens.
Yeah I found that with nurse and billy, I can't flick or predict well... maybe one day. Also I really really want to like Myers but a slow build up always kills it for me. It's great once it starts rolling but sometimes it feels so sluggish. I like set up killers trapper and hag, it really satisfying to herd your prey into your traps.
I never played Billy or Nurse long enough to know whether I liked them or not, but I tend to favour the more stealth killers as that’s just a play style I enjoy. Michael is actually my favourite killer, but I have a great build on him so that helps. The start of the match is always the worst part, but once you get to Tier 2 things start getting better. Discordance is great with him as you can often find 2/3 survivors at the very start of the match which helps you to level up faster. I used to use that a lot before I got really comfortable with him.
I haven’t played a lot of Hag, but I love Trapper. Last year I went through a long period of only playing him. It’s so funny chasing survivors to your traps and just waiting for them to step in it. I think him and Michael are both similar in the way they can have slow starts but massive snowball effects in the late game.
He’s fine where he is. He has poor map pressure but makes up for it with the ability to end chases very quickly and his small TR so he can get the drop on survivors.