The werid state of Inner Strength.
Inner Strength personally to me is a great perk but also still balanced. However if they were to buff it, itd probably become worse as a perk.
Let me explain.
If they for some reason buffed it to stack tokens up to 2. (1 per totem) Many more people would use the perk.
But the more people using the perk. The more people looking for totems. And then boom less totems.
And honestly they could nerf it to actually buff it.
But this was just me talking about how Inner Strength relies on not a lot of people using it.
Wow i’m like 5000IQ
Comments
I fail to see how increasing the tokens would get more people to use the perk. The people who aren't running inner strength (me for the longest time) are not not running it for that reason. To be more clear, people aren't using Inner Strength because they're thinking "man if only you could stack the effect twice..."
As someone who for the longest time was a disbeliever in inner strength: in general on paper the perk can seem very unreliable, you've got to find totems which are a limited resource and on certain maps that alone can be a difficult task as they can be well hidden, making it very RNG related which is by itself a deterrent. These people typically prefer running perks that seem far more reliable, self-care for one most obviously, but also bond, or empathy, or aftercare, or pharmacy, or just bringing in a medkit in general on a somewhat regular basis.
It was only until after I tried it out myself (somewhat recently I might add) just for sh*ts and giggles in a totem hunting build, and got the experience of using it did I realize and learn to appreciate how it was actually a pretty decent perk that I might want to use more often in the future.
I see what you're saying, and it's not the first time I've read such a thought either, but I don't think so. Inner Strength requires a certain level of commitment and a change in your playstyle that revolves more around totems than previously. As it stands a lot of people are still convinced that there's no reason to run anything else other than meta perks.
Ok? It's a balanced perk, there is no particular reason to want to buff or nerf it at all in the first place.
Im aware I said that.
I was just saying all of that.
Inner Strength is like Deliverance. You sometimes get a ton of mileage from it. Other times it's basically a waste of a slot.
Maps like Lerys, Midwhich, Hawkins and The Game all have difficult totem spawns so you'll spend way more time hunting for totems there or struggle to find them at all. Plus, if multiple Survivors on your team are running Inner Strength the totems disappear fast or at least the easy ones do.
Personally, I've switched to Blood Pact as my usual healing perk because its reliable and not map dependent.
I mean I also use blood pact in my main build but it's not even close to being because of it's reliability. The perk really isn't all that reliable since it only works with the Obsession.
That said I love the perk anyways, hence why I use it.
Blood Pact is super reliable at doing its job: Telling you where to get heals when you're injured. It also helps the Obsession with the same thing. Saves you a surprising amount of time since your teammate will be expecting you and generally meet you in the middle.
Who needs self-heal when you can always find someone to heal you? The speed boost and sporadic extra information are nice, but just the icing on the cake.
Inner Strength seems like a pretty balanced perk overall.
I tried to like blood pact but it’s pretty terrible especially compared to aftercare.
Personally I prefer the early usage blood pact grants. But yes aftercare is the more reliable perk overall. That's the tradeoff.
Inner Strength is my staple perk if I have any. Once in a while I get a match of totem breaking maniacs (which is not a bad thing!) but it's rare. I'd say I get use out of it in 2/3'rds of my games.
Aftercare is entirely based on how altruistic you are, which isn't always something you can control. Some games all the action is taking place on the other side of the map and you're just doing generators for the first 3-5 minutes.Also, I don't love that it resets every time you get hooked because it encourages a passive playstyle. Ideally, you want to get chased evenly and spread hook states to prevent an early kill. But with Aftercare, you kind of want to avoid being chased in general to keep your stacks, which can end up screwing your team over.
And finally, Aftercare isn't very good for activating when you need it. Healing Survivors requires you to find them, which the perk doesn't help you with. And because of the perk's mechanics after being unhooked the only person you have Aura reading on is usually the one getting chased, so they can't heal you.
Hence why I don't run it.
I. Run. Blood Pact.
The perk is fine and needs no changes. Tbh I am surprised how well they did on this perk, just the right amount of strength for what you need to do to activate it.
When I first saw inner strength before the stranger things dlc came out I knew I was going to run it. Just reading it, when knowing the game, it's a very well designed perk that is powerful but not abusable. If you want to get a use out of it you find a totem, which is usually pretty easy if you have an idea where they usually spawn. And having to break a totem to get it to activate was genius imo.
I usually get a use out if it every match, and the matches I don't are either because I was healed by an ally or I never got hit. Its almost always "charged" and ready to go.
I run this on every survivor I have it unlocked on. I just love everything about it.